Eugene School District 4J Reviews

CEO

1. Bus Driver

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I worked at Eugene School District 4J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome health coverage and benefits, I would drive extra hours if I needed the money and got paid for 4 hours even if finishing route early

Cons

Don't see any real downfalls. Had to deal with young handicapped kids but they were still manageable

Advice to Management

No real advice, the atmosphere is friendly and will work with you when experiencing personal issues.

2. An enjoyable experience.

Former Employee - Food Aid in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Food Aid in Eugene, OR

I worked at Eugene School District 4J part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are all friendly and the kids are usually a nice environment to be around. The schedule was relaxed.

Cons

The scheduling system by phone is ancient and cumbersome and the directions and expectations in the workplace sometimes unclear.

Advice to Management

Upgrade scheduling process with website and phone option. Specific roles for when subbing.

3. Great Start

Former Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Eugene, OR
    Former Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Eugene, OR

I worked at Eugene School District 4J as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great if you are starting out in education and you want more experience. Great pay per hour for subs. Great for networking.

Cons

Sometimes I would have difficulty if there were no sub notes, they were misplaced, or not updated. You have to apply for permanent positions as if you were an outside applicant.

Advice to Management

Have instructors upload their notes so I am better prepared for the job when I arrive. This is very important for special needs students. Some subs have worked with you for years and would be great addition to your permanent staff. If a sub has a year of classroom experience and training they should be able to apply as an internal applicant.

5. Good district if you are a Mac.

Former Intern - PC Support Intern in Eugene, OR
    Former Intern - PC Support Intern in Eugene, OR

I worked at Eugene School District 4J as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with some nice people, learned a lot about how to administer OS X systems. Lots of work to do at different schools across district kept things interesting. Fairly relaxed work environment, there is usually not high stress and pressure that other employers might have in similar positions.

Cons

Due to budget cuts very limited resources. Technical staff was spread very thin amongst the school district. Resource management procedures need improvement. Eugene is a nice town, traffic is usually a non-factor, but the weather can get depressing during the school year when the rain doesn't stop for weeks.

6. Well meaning, but will take advantage.

Former Employee - Accountant in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Accountant in Eugene, OR

I worked at Eugene School District 4J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual dress, people really do care about education.

Cons

Not enough people to do what is needed and when you are found capable can easily be taken advantage of. Anybody who has really been borderline has been moved to the district office into a cush job--that's not right.

Advice to Management

Hope the new Super is changing some of these things.

7. Generally satisfied

Pros

The benefits are very good. I enjoy the hours, working with students and teachers and the vacations. I like being on a "school" schedule.

Cons

The beauracracy can be really frustrating. The ridiculous amount of time and paper work to accomplish the simpleist task is mind-numbing.

Advice to Management

As a government entity I don't know if the beauracracy can be lessened but it definitely increases employee dissatisfaction a lot.

8. Steady Work - Limited Opportunities

Pros

Good health/retirement benefits. Most jobs low-stress. Schools will be around forever. Union employees are protected from unfair/unreasonable labor practices.

Cons

Reduced funding means cutbacks and more work for remaining staff. Growing state and federal mandates mean more complex, stressful work - for same pay and uncompensated overtime (for professionals and management). Not much room for advancement, or opportunities to develop professionally.

Advice to Management

Sooner or later, someone is going to have to say enough is enough - you can't expect a shrinking number of staff to do more and more work.

RSS Feed </> Embed