Euler Hermes ACI

1 Rating

A sales factory

Former Employee - Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Euler Hermes ACI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will likely be working out of your home, which can allow some flexibility, but this flexibility comes with the expectation you produce early and often. Some of the regional leaders are very good and will come out and do all day ride-alongs on appointments to help you improve.

Cons

If you are a field sales agent, you will be largely on your own to sell a somewhat complicated, and in many cases, unwanted insurance product. You will be on a draw relatively quickly and without a few big sales you will struggle. Beware of entering a market where there is already one or more established agents who will already have established relationships with brokers in the area.

European Parent Killed this US Insurance Company

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Euler Hermes ACI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Clients are spectacular and there's always something new. Solid financially. Good support from underwriters.

Cons

Sales mgmt keeps thinking they have a better mouse trap untried in the 100 years of its existence. Sales commissions dropping like a dead bird in flight. Zero chance of promotions if you are not the favored person new mgmt hired. Practically all of the seasoned executives have departed. Average agent income has dropped 50% in past four years while co makes money hand over fist due to no insurance losses. Short term solution that will come back to haunt those that are dumb enough to stick around. Co fond of hiring outside of industry in a space that is highly specialized. Bad formula.

Stop trying to squeeze the salespeople, be honest with new agents at the time of hiring, stop micro managing those who have been doing this light years before you could spell credit insurance. realize this is a cyclical business and know you are not selling aluminum siding. Get out of the way of the pros and stop cutting commissions.

Sales for a decade

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Euler Hermes ACI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Commission is high compared to most competitors. Niche market product allows for greater control of the sales process. International possibilities are endless with Euler or parent Allianz. Benefits are extremely competitive

Cons

Career development is non-existent. Hard work/results doesn't bring any opportunity or visibility. The Euler brand and market's awareness of this product leave a lot to be desired.

Acknowledge your best employees publicly. Eliminate processes that you know are slowing down business decisions.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Euler Hermes ACI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is for the global experience you can obtain. They're a huge company with job opportunities all over the world (New York, Los Angeles, Quebec, Montreal, Brazil, Paris, London, Singapore, Hong Kong, and many more) that they encourage you to apply for if it interests you.

The salary is competitive and they offer fantastic benefits in terms of their bonuses and 401k (different if you're in sales as that is heavily incentive based). Their health insurance could be better as they have high deductibles to keep costs down but they are also very health conscious. The vending machines offer only healthy snacks, they make you get a biometric screening every year (which they provide for free at work), they offer a free gym membership if you use the gym on the campus or a subsidy if you go to your own gym, and they even give you money every 6 months for driving a car that has a certain mpg.

Work culture is great as they have their own social planning committee. They organize happy hours, pot lucks, pizza parties, golf outings, habitat for humanity and other charity functions, sports related parties (mostly revolving around the Ravens or O's so I guess that could be a con depending on who you root for), and a yearly summer outing. The Christmas party is killer every year. Dec. 2012 was at M&T Bank Stadium (where the Ravens play). If the free food and booze isn't good enough they have raffles where people win iPads, and we were able to go in the locker rooms and on the field.

Be weary of many of the other reviews here. It looked like most of them were sales and telemarketing jobs (business development specialist is a telemarketer). Let's be honest. No matter where you go, telemarketing sucks. It's a dead end, thankless job that preys on recent college grads. Easily has the highest turnover of any department in the company. Aside from them though, every other department has people who have been with the company for years (some longer than I've been alive). People are here for a long time because it's a very good company to work for.

Cons

Getting things done can be frustrating. Our ultimate HQ is in Paris. So many of the things we do have to go through them which can take days or much longer depending on the issue. Also things may not make any sense coming from Paris as they have to translate what they say in to English and their culture is entirely different so many things they see as normal can be completely insane here in the US. This goes for everywhere else too. You'll most likely be dealing with people from all over the world so working with people in Germany or Italy may be frustrating.

Depending on where you work, management may be questionable. I personally love my department and management but I know that other departments have poor/lazy managers. They have baffling hires and promotions seem to come more on tenure and popularity than actual merit. I feel like this happens at every company but obviously I can't be certain of that.

Training is very weak. A lot of it comes from shadowing people. It's basically a sink or swim atmosphere once you're done hopping around from person to person. While management encourages you to learn on your own and the company will compensate any outside schooling/accreditation you may do, it's up to you to take the initiative. I personally love that but I do admit they can do a lot more to teach employees. Feeling helpless or lost is not an uncommon feeling if you haven't learned what you need to do.

I feel like they're doing a great job but they are very far removed from individual needs. All of their " improvements" come from an annual survey which translates in to numbers and percentages. I would challenge senior management to get more involved in the day to day to find out how to really improve the company.

A lot of responsibility for a little compensation

Current Employee - Marketing in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Euler Hermes ACI

Pros

Benefits - health, retirement, internal, social activities
    Friendly and fun atmosphere
    No one takes anything too seriously
    Most execs are a pleasure to be around
    Direct manager is wonderful though not supportive of ongoing education
    The people in the company are like family

Cons

PAY PAY PAY - is not enough. I got promoted after 1.5 years with the company to a position with about 100% more responsibility and autonomy that requires travel at times and off hours work occasionally and I got a 1.5k raise...I think the average salary for my position for someone with the high level of education and experience that I have is about 10k more than what I make. Yet the company throws elaborate parties that are catered and offer open bar with top shelf liquor only..why throw the money away when the employees could be given raises?

There is a lot of turnover here which I think is due to the lack of competitive compensation.

Execs could afford to be more personable toward employees. SOme of us know their grandchildren's birthdays and the reason for their latest doctor's appointment while other employees don't know how to spell their names.

Worst Place to Work

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Euler Hermes ACI

Pros

Job is mindless
    People in team are fun
    Great location
    The building is beautiful and the company gives you a free gym membership

Cons

Management is immature and unprofessional
    They set you up to fail
    Pay is extremely low
    Company is dishonest
    Employees are treated terribly

The management structure of this organization is very archaic. Gone are the days of org charts and if management wishes to survive they need to start treating the people that interface with their clients a lot better. While working here I felt like I was merely a number in cubical land rather than an actual person and I was treated as such.

Be the CEO of your own business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Euler Hermes ACI

Pros

EH ACI provides the opportunity to be a leader in an emerging market. If you are a sales person that likes the idea of running your own business and unlimited income then it is a great place to work. This is very much a sell that is based on concept and value proposition. High energy and consultative selling is a must. Very entreprenuial which is not for everyone.

Cons

If you are a sales person that needs strong structure and a product that is well known with a "household brand". This is not a place for you.

Continue to focus and support the sales team to advance the market

The warm atmosphere creates an environment that makes me look forward to coming to work each day.

Current Employee - --------------------- in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - --------------------- in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Euler Hermes ACI

Pros

If you work hard you will be rewarded. If you ask for help, you will receive help. If you are a college graduate who works hard and is ambitious this is the perfect place to start your career. If you do not work hard, this probably is not the company for you. I started off telemarketing, but it is business to business and I was constantly learning about the global economy, the different industries, political risk, how businesses operate, the list goes on. The skill set I have received here at Euler continues to grow each day. They support furthering your education by paying 6,000 per year, and they have very good benefits. Softball, soccer, happy hours and other social events are frequently organized as well as Habitat for Humanity build days to strengthen the bond between employees.

Cons

Like most every company in the world, there have been layoffs, which could explain for some of the poor reviews, but if you work hard, there is nothing to worry about.

Communication is one of the number one problems in every organization, and was terrible when I first started here. In my opinion, upper management has been improving with this. A case in point, our CEO of the entire company holds webinars where everyone in the entire world from our company can sign on and ask him questions.

Time flexibility would be another down side, but it could be better in other departments. I feel like employees should be able to come to work at 7:00am if they wish and leave by 3. However, I have asked to do this on a few occasions and have always been given the green-light to do so.

This is a very hard-working and serious company, which can be looked at as a pro or con depending who you are. With me it is a pro. I am constantly challenged and constantly learning. I would steer clear of this company if you don’t like to work hard and challenge yourself.

I think every organization I have ever worked at could do a better job communicating and rewarding their employees. The happier the employee, the harder they work, the more money they make for you, and the more apt they are to stay. Create an incentive for telemarketers like a trip to Europe if they reach x amount in appointments. Then, have them visit an office in Europe maybe even have an executive take them to lunch. Ideas ideas ideas. Come up with more ideas to make employees happy, encourage more ideas. They currently have a social committee that surveys the entire office. This is a great step.

120 cold calls a day, nowhere to go with the down ecomony

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Euler Hermes ACI

Pros

Great Benefits and vacation leave and continuing education opportunities. Great happy hours and generally really nice people to work with.

Cons

Meet your monthly goals or else; constant supervision and oversight, make 100+ calls or else.

Its a tough job and employee turnover is really high; don't just give the good leads to the top tier who don't need them to make numbers anyway.

I feel cheated

Current Employee - Account Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Euler Hermes ACI

Pros

The job is interesting and you will enjoy it.

Cons

The company is cheap. They don't want to pay for the quality employees bring to the table. They want to give you as little as possible and make you beg to be paid what they should be paying you.

You get what you pay for. If you don't pay your most productive and innovative employees what they are worth they will leave you.