Euler Hermes ACI

Add Photos

Paul C.G. Overeem

Sales for a decade

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCommission is high compared to most competitors. Niche market product allows for greater control of the sales process. International possibilities are endless with Euler or parent Allianz. Benefits are extremely competitive

ConsCareer development is non-existent. Hard work/results doesn't bring any opportunity or visibility. The Euler brand and market's awareness of this product leave a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge your best employees publicly. Eliminate processes that you know are slowing down business decisions.

Great company to work for

ProsThe best reason to work here is for the global experience you can obtain. They're a huge company with job opportunities all over the world (New York, Los Angeles, Quebec, Montreal, Brazil, Paris, London, Singapore, Hong Kong, and many more) that they encourage you to apply for if it interests you.

The salary is competitive and they offer fantastic benefits in terms of their bonuses and 401k (different if you're in sales as that is heavily incentive based). Their health insurance could be better as they have high deductibles to keep costs down but they are also very health conscious. The vending machines offer only healthy snacks, they make you get a biometric screening every year (which they provide for free at work), they offer a free gym membership if you use the gym on the campus or a subsidy if you go to your own gym, and they even give you money every 6 months for driving a car that has a certain mpg.

Work culture is great as they have their own social planning committee. They organize happy hours, pot lucks, pizza parties, golf outings, habitat for humanity and other charity functions, sports related parties (mostly revolving around the Ravens or O's so I guess that could be a con depending on who you root for), and a yearly summer outing. The Christmas party is killer every year. Dec. 2012 was at M&T Bank Stadium (where the Ravens play). If the free food and booze isn't good enough they have raffles where people win iPads, and we were able to go in the locker rooms and on the field.

Be weary of many of the other reviews here. It looked like most of them were sales and telemarketing jobs (business development specialist is a telemarketer). Let's be honest. No matter where you go, telemarketing sucks. It's a dead end, thankless job that preys on recent college grads. Easily has the highest turnover of any department in the company. Aside from them though, every other department has people who have been with the company for years (some longer than I've been alive). People are here for a long time because it's a very good company to work for.

ConsGetting things done can be frustrating. Our ultimate HQ is in Paris. So many of the things we do have to go through them which can take days or much longer depending on the issue. Also things may not make any sense coming from Paris as they have to translate what they say in to English and their culture is entirely different so many things they see as normal can be completely insane here in the US. This goes for everywhere else too. You'll most likely be dealing with people from all over the world so working with people in Germany or Italy may be frustrating.

Depending on where you work, management may be questionable. I personally love my department and management but I know that other departments have poor/lazy managers. They have baffling hires and promotions seem to come more on tenure and popularity than actual merit. I feel like this happens at every company but obviously I can't be certain of that.

Training is very weak. A lot of it comes from shadowing people. It's basically a sink or swim atmosphere once you're done hopping around from person to person. While management encourages you to learn on your own and the company will compensate any outside schooling/accreditation you may do, it's up to you to take the initiative. I personally love that but I do admit they can do a lot more to teach employees. Feeling helpless or lost is not an uncommon feeling if you haven't learned what you need to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel like they're doing a great job but they are very far removed from individual needs. All of their " improvements" come from an annual survey which translates in to numbers and percentages. I would challenge senior management to get more involved in the day to day to find out how to really improve the company.

A lot of responsibility for a little compensation

Marketing (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsBenefits - health, retirement, internal, social activities
    Friendly and fun atmosphere
    No one takes anything too seriously
    Most execs are a pleasure to be around
    Direct manager is wonderful though not supportive of ongoing education
    The people in the company are like family

ConsPAY PAY PAY - is not enough. I got promoted after 1.5 years with the company to a position with about 100% more responsibility and autonomy that requires travel at times and off hours work occasionally and I got a 1.5k raise...I think the average salary for my position for someone with the high level of education and experience that I have is about 10k more than what I make. Yet the company throws elaborate parties that are catered and offer open bar with top shelf liquor only..why throw the money away when the employees could be given raises?

There is a lot of turnover here which I think is due to the lack of competitive compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecs could afford to be more personable toward employees. SOme of us know their grandchildren's birthdays and the reason for their latest doctor's appointment while other employees don't know how to spell their names.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Place to Work

Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsJob is mindless
    People in team are fun
    Great location
    The building is beautiful and the company gives you a free gym membership

ConsManagement is immature and unprofessional
    They set you up to fail
    Pay is extremely low
    Company is dishonest
    Employees are treated terribly

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management structure of this organization is very archaic. Gone are the days of org charts and if management wishes to survive they need to start treating the people that interface with their clients a lot better. While working here I felt like I was merely a number in cubical land rather than an actual person and I was treated as such.

Be the CEO of your own business

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsEH ACI provides the opportunity to be a leader in an emerging market. If you are a sales person that likes the idea of running your own business and unlimited income then it is a great place to work. This is very much a sell that is based on concept and value proposition. High energy and consultative selling is a must. Very entreprenuial which is not for everyone.

ConsIf you are a sales person that needs strong structure and a product that is well known with a "household brand". This is not a place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus and support the sales team to advance the market

The warm atmosphere creates an environment that makes me look forward to coming to work each day.

--------------------- (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsIf you work hard you will be rewarded. If you ask for help, you will receive help. If you are a college graduate who works hard and is ambitious this is the perfect place to start your career. If you do not work hard, this probably is not the company for you. I started off telemarketing, but it is business to business and I was constantly learning about the global economy, the different industries, political risk, how businesses operate, the list goes on. The skill set I have received here at Euler continues to grow each day. They support furthering your education by paying 6,000 per year, and they have very good benefits. Softball, soccer, happy hours and other social events are frequently organized as well as Habitat for Humanity build days to strengthen the bond between employees.

ConsLike most every company in the world, there have been layoffs, which could explain for some of the poor reviews, but if you work hard, there is nothing to worry about.

Communication is one of the number one problems in every organization, and was terrible when I first started here. In my opinion, upper management has been improving with this. A case in point, our CEO of the entire company holds webinars where everyone in the entire world from our company can sign on and ask him questions.

Time flexibility would be another down side, but it could be better in other departments. I feel like employees should be able to come to work at 7:00am if they wish and leave by 3. However, I have asked to do this on a few occasions and have always been given the green-light to do so.

This is a very hard-working and serious company, which can be looked at as a pro or con depending who you are. With me it is a pro. I am constantly challenged and constantly learning. I would steer clear of this company if you don’t like to work hard and challenge yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think every organization I have ever worked at could do a better job communicating and rewarding their employees. The happier the employee, the harder they work, the more money they make for you, and the more apt they are to stay. Create an incentive for telemarketers like a trip to Europe if they reach x amount in appointments. Then, have them visit an office in Europe maybe even have an executive take them to lunch. Ideas ideas ideas. Come up with more ideas to make employees happy, encourage more ideas. They currently have a social committee that surveys the entire office. This is a great step.

120 cold calls a day, nowhere to go with the down ecomony

Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsGreat Benefits and vacation leave and continuing education opportunities. Great happy hours and generally really nice people to work with.

ConsMeet your monthly goals or else; constant supervision and oversight, make 100+ calls or else.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a tough job and employee turnover is really high; don't just give the good leads to the top tier who don't need them to make numbers anyway.

I feel cheated

Account Manager (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsThe job is interesting and you will enjoy it.

ConsThe company is cheap. They don't want to pay for the quality employees bring to the table. They want to give you as little as possible and make you beg to be paid what they should be paying you.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. If you don't pay your most productive and innovative employees what they are worth they will leave you.

This position is basic telemarketing. Management is incompetent, immature, and unprofessional.

Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsGreat work environment, nice office, ample parking, supportive coworkers. Many Opportunities to advance, outside of the Business Development/Marketing Department.

ConsPromotion based on seniority/tenure. Resulting in an incompetent mid-level management staff. This is most apparent in the Business Development department managerial staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't stifle employees with knowledge, skills, and capability to advance and excel in other areas of the company. Promotions must be based on capabilities, and performance, not on personal conjecture and tenure. Also, there should be more security when desicussing things within the chain of command- so employees are protected from repercussions from direct supervisors.

Don't sell for this company

Sales Agent (Former Employee)

ProsNice people, flexible work schedule, ok money

ConsMicro managed to the enth degree with constant heavy handed pressure to close, close, close despite the costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter incentivize your sales people with less micro management from above.

Worked for Euler Hermes ACI? Contribute to the Community!