Euler Hermes Reviews

Reset

1. European Parent Killed this US Insurance Company

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Euler Hermes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clients are spectacular and there's always something new. Solid financially. Good support from underwriters.

Cons

Sales mgmt keeps thinking they have a better mouse trap untried in the 100 years of its existence. Sales commissions dropping like a dead bird in flight. Zero chance of promotions if you are not the favored person new mgmt hired. Practically all of the seasoned executives have departed. Average agent income has dropped 50% in past four years while co makes money hand over fist due to no insurance losses. Short term solution that will come back to haunt those that are dumb enough to stick around. Co fond of hiring outside of industry in a space that is highly specialized. Bad formula.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to squeeze the salespeople, be honest with new agents at the time of hiring, stop micro managing those who have been doing this light years before you could spell credit insurance. realize this is a cyclical business and know you are not selling aluminum siding. Get out of the way of the pros and stop cutting commissions.

2. Open for movement amongst business units

Former Employee - Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Euler Hermes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Headquarters are in Paris, France and with office all over the world, employees are encourage to apply for jobs in other countries. Lateral movements and promotions into other business units are encouraged. Potlucks, pizza parties, semi-annual townhall meetings, annual ellaborate holiday party, volunteer opportunities, etc contributes to a great company culture. Overal friendly work environment.

Cons

Work/life balance could be better. No telecommuting in place.

3. The experience was extremely frustrating. Management is at a loss on how to run the business.

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Euler Hermes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a field sales representative, you can work from your home office. They also provided a company car as an incentive.

Cons

There was a senior management purge. The current management structure leaves a great deal to be desired.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

5. Underwriter

I have been working at Euler Hermes

Pros

The position offers a good experience. Majority of the people are great.

Cons

there isn't too many cons at the moment.

6. Sales for a decade

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Euler Hermes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Commission is high compared to most competitors. Niche market product allows for greater control of the sales process. International possibilities are endless with Euler or parent Allianz. Benefits are extremely competitive

Cons

Career development is non-existent. Hard work/results doesn't bring any opportunity or visibility. The Euler brand and market's awareness of this product leave a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your best employees publicly. Eliminate processes that you know are slowing down business decisions.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Euler Hermes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is for the global experience you can obtain. They're a huge company with job opportunities all over the world (New York, Los Angeles, Quebec, Montreal, Brazil, Paris, London, Singapore, Hong Kong, and many more) that they encourage you to apply for if it interests you. The salary is competitive and they offer fantastic benefits in terms of their bonuses and 401k (different if you're in sales as that is heavily incentive based). Their health insurance could be better as they have high deductibles to keep costs down but they are also very health conscious. The vending machines offer only healthy snacks, they make you get a biometric screening every year (which they provide for free at work), they offer a free gym membership if you use the gym on the campus or a subsidy if you go to your own gym, and they even give you money every 6 months for driving a car that has a certain mpg. Work culture is great as they have their own social planning committee. They organize happy hours, pot lucks, pizza parties, golf outings, habitat for humanity and other charity functions, sports related parties (mostly revolving around the Ravens or O's so I guess that could be a con depending on who you root for), and a yearly summer outing. The Christmas party is killer every year. Dec. 2012 was at M&T Bank Stadium (where the Ravens play). If the free food and booze isn't good enough they have raffles where people win iPads, and we were able to go in the locker rooms and on the field. Be weary of many of the other reviews here. It looked like most of them were sales and telemarketing jobs (business development specialist is a telemarketer). Let's be honest. No matter where you go, telemarketing sucks. It's a dead end, thankless job that preys on recent college grads. Easily has the highest turnover of any department in the company. Aside from them though, every other department has people who have been with the company for years (some longer than I've been alive). People are here for a long time because it's a very good company to work for.

Cons

Getting things done can be frustrating. Our ultimate HQ is in Paris. So many of the things we do have to go through them which can take days or much longer depending on the issue. Also things may not make any sense coming from Paris as they have to translate what they say in to English and their culture is entirely different so many things they see as normal can be completely insane here in the US. This goes for everywhere else too. You'll most likely be dealing with people from all over the world so working with people in Germany or Italy may be frustrating. Depending on where you work, management may be questionable. I personally love my department and management but I know that other departments have poor/lazy managers. They have baffling hires and promotions seem to come more on tenure and popularity than actual merit. I feel like this happens at every company but obviously I can't be certain of that. Training is very weak. A lot of it comes from shadowing people. It's basically a sink or swim atmosphere once you're done hopping around from person to person. While management encourages you to learn on your own and the company will compensate any outside schooling/accreditation you may do, it's up to you to take the initiative. I personally love that but I do admit they can do a lot more to teach employees. Feeling helpless or lost is not an uncommon feeling if you haven't learned what you need to do.

Advice to Management

I feel like they're doing a great job but they are very far removed from individual needs. All of their " improvements" come from an annual survey which translates in to numbers and percentages. I would challenge senior management to get more involved in the day to day to find out how to really improve the company.

8. They DO NOT appreciate nor give respect to their hard working employees.

Former Employee - An Everything Person in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - An Everything Person in Louisville, KY

I worked at Euler Hermes part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some other employees are very friendly and are willing to help you when its needed.

Cons

They don't pay their employees enough for the amount of things they do. They show favoritism towards employees.

Advice to Management

They need to communicate with their employees.

9. A lot of responsibility for a little compensation

Current Employee - Marketing in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Euler Hermes

Pros

Benefits - health, retirement, internal, social activities Friendly and fun atmosphere No one takes anything too seriously Most execs are a pleasure to be around Direct manager is wonderful though not supportive of ongoing education The people in the company are like family

Cons

PAY PAY PAY - is not enough. I got promoted after 1.5 years with the company to a position with about 100% more responsibility and autonomy that requires travel at times and off hours work occasionally and I got a 1.5k raise...I think the average salary for my position for someone with the high level of education and experience that I have is about 10k more than what I make. Yet the company throws elaborate parties that are catered and offer open bar with top shelf liquor only..why throw the money away when the employees could be given raises? There is a lot of turnover here which I think is due to the lack of competitive compensation.

Advice to Management

Execs could afford to be more personable toward employees. SOme of us know their grandchildren's birthdays and the reason for their latest doctor's appointment while other employees don't know how to spell their names.

10. Worst Place to Work

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Euler Hermes

Pros

Job is mindless People in team are fun Great location The building is beautiful and the company gives you a free gym membership

Cons

Management is immature and unprofessional They set you up to fail Pay is extremely low Company is dishonest Employees are treated terribly

Advice to Management

The management structure of this organization is very archaic. Gone are the days of org charts and if management wishes to survive they need to start treating the people that interface with their clients a lot better. While working here I felt like I was merely a number in cubical land rather than an actual person and I was treated as such.

11. Miscellaneous

Former Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Euler Hermes

Pros

Global company with offices worldwide

Cons

-poor management within the department

RSS Feed </> Embed