Eurasia Group

Updated December 20, 2014
3.3

Robert J. Johnston

Great place for analysts

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Brilliant people who are passionate about their work and true experts in their countries and regions
    -Impressive client base
    -Every day is an opportunity to learn something new
    -Relatively flat corporate culture
    -Promising ideas for the future
    -Generous perks

Cons

-Priorities for the business and research sides can clash
    -Path for advancement not always clear
    -Need more support for professional development
    -Need more structure in how people and work are managed

Keep listening to employees, but also actively reach out to them. Solicit ideas on where people see problems and how they'd like to solve them, and keep them in the loop as much as possible. There have been concrete improvements, but frustration is still there from veteran employees.

Substantial opportunities for junior staff; bright coworkers; supportive environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love working here because the day-to-day is really enjoyable, and the long-term outlook is also positive. I have:
    - smart colleagues who are really passionate about what they do (love talking strategy, theory, and numbers) and very fun to be around
    - interesting work that is always changing - if you like roller coasters, this is a good ride
    - EG is industry leader in political risk and is working wisely to expand into new areas of expertise
    - flexible work policy (can work out of London and NYC offices) and generous vacation policy leaves you feeling refreshed and motivated
    - friendly, relaxed, and collaborative office environment without ulterior motives unlike other places in DC

Cons

- Research and bd sometimes have different client-related goals and are not on the same page

Keep being open with staff, but improve communication between senior management so that different messages are not passed down. Work on cohesion and shared goals between research and bd.

Culture and management stuck in last century's attitudes and practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Eurasia Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generous vacation, not a super stressful environment (depends who you work with though), and a nice-looking office. For most people, the hours are not anywhere near what they are for other consulting firms. Colleagues are some of the brightest minds in the field, and in general, people are pleasant to work with. I've made some friends. The firm is good at attracting smart, solid, good people. It's great to be in a place where current world affairs are discussed every day, you'll learn lots of cool knowledge to impress people at parties with.

Cons

The leadership is unfortunately stuck in the last century. They operate from a mind-frame that feels very much like a one-way street and feels like this: "We pay you, you do what we need you to, and we don't really care about you as a person or whether you are happy here." It's clear that they know that plenty of people want to work there, and the unspoken message is that most of us are dispensable. Not once have I had a single person (either my boss or HR person) ask me what my career goals are. In their defense, it is not their fault, it is simply the culture and they are just living out the attitude of the leadership, which is very 1950.
    Thus, the mood at work is rather somber and serious. Not an enjoyable environment. Most people don't really seem happy to be there. Oh, and big turnover. For these and other reasons.

-Start paying attention to the shifts in employee-employer relations worldwide. The market has changed! Nowadays, solid employees with great results can go work at companies where they do feel like someone cares about their career trajectory, where they feel like they are in a partnership with their employer.
    - Put people in leadership positions not just for their skill, but for their ability to manage other people effectively and humanly.
    - Do a full assessment of your talent in-house. You have so many intelligent people, and you know nothing about them and what they could do for the company! Do not leave all that talent on the table. Go out and get to know them, and have them use all that intelligence and skill.

Meh

I have been working at Eurasia Group

Pros

The analysts were, by and large, a smart and perfectly pleasant group of people to work with. You tend to absorb an in depth understanding of international politics via osmosis. Four weeks of vacation is a nice benefit and certainly above average in this country.

Cons

Management seemed obsessed with titles rather than one's actual ability and willingness to contribute. In spite of a lot of blather about anyone being able to take on any role if they showed the initiative, management did provide any opportunities for advancement to many obviously talented people. Management also appeared to have a lack of respect for anyone who was not an analyst or in business development, even though countless folks worked very hard to make the analysts look good.

The rot starts at the head.

An imperfect, but nonetheless great place to work.

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

EG is a great place to work. As someone who has been here for years, and has seen the company have its ups and downs—I also experienced my ups and downs here— the company is on a better, more credible, sustainable path than it’s ever been. The new management team is much improved. Business development has a more targeted, coordinated strategy. Indeed, while some good people have left the firm, the vast majority of recent departures represent a positive development.

Unchanged is the research platform’s strength. EG remains the gold standard political risk analysis firm. The most talented, knowledgeable, creative political analysts work at EG or aspire to.

Given these dynamics, Eurasia Group may not be a “soaring eagle,” but it is certainly not a “sinking ship.” It’s a smart, innovative company with mostly good people, and a company that is on a strong, positive trajectory.

Cons

Anonymity’s upside is that it permits people to post reviews unencumbered by fear of retaliation. The downside is that offers an open forum for breathless hyperbole. I wrote this review partly in response to some of the hyperbolic nonsense recently posted.

Eurasia Group is not perfect. It never will be. It, like any other company, will remain flawed. Management will make mistakes. Sometimes some employees will be unhappy. A small number of employees will always be unhappy. However, this select always unhappy few would be unhappy people irrespective of their employer.

The more employees are empowered, the more performance and hard work is rewarded-- rather than connections to senior people-- and the more transparency there is, the better.

I wish I had paid attention to the reviews and what people in industry were saying

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time

Pros

Difficult to say given how toxic the environment is. The original concept for political risk advisory was great at the time it emerged. But now, with the EG brand sinking and industry knowing they can do a lot of this in-house, all I can say is EG just serves as a great research publication to clients and that's it.

Cons

Eurasia Group is a sinking ship and it is going fast. We had 49 people leave the company in 2013. 49. Out of a total of 100-110 employees. If you catch any analyst conversation in the kitchen, everyone is looking for their next move. Yes, the intellectual experience is fun (unless you're not a favorite with "management", then you are just another researcher) and the clients are great (but even they are leaving and revenue is falling). But the environment is beyond toxic and the apathy of my colleagues is intense. I have had a few different markets clients say that Ian has lost touch with reality and gotten too big for his britches. We had an all-hands meeting last summer to hear him say he wanted to build a company that was transparent and open to ideas, but the minute someone asked him a question about the company's failings, he shot them down. Our BD team supporting corporate clients has all left: in the last 18-24 months, 8 of the 9 original people have resigned--3 of them simply quit before even having their next role lined up. Ian attributes moves like these not to something wrong with the culture, but to "we've been asking them to go for a while." Sure.

I waived off the negative reviews here before joining, but now I can confirm they are honest and accurate. Plus you will notice the 2 good reviews (which were a stark jump from average 2-3 score to a 5 score) both were submitted at the same time. Odd. And we don't have any employees based outside the US or UK, so the UAE submission doesn't align either. I'm just looking for an offer so I can make a move myself. Save yourself the time and heartache.

Intellectual Experience; Great as a first step

Former Employee - Research Management Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Management Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Eurasia Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Smart colleagues
    2. Able to actually work in something you enjoy.
    3. Certain opportunities for training.
    4. Very smart president

Cons

4. Not a lot of opportunities for progression.
    5. Pay is not exactly high.

Lots of book smarts, little business sense.

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance. Highly intelligent, thoughtful employees. Intellectually engaging environment.

Cons

Analytic resources stretched, with little to no official guidelines on how analysts are to moderate between the demands of the different kinds of work. No clear trajectory path for entry to mid-level employees. No mechanism for meaningful feedback. Managed by intellectuals, not businessmen. Management clearly navigating in their own best interest, most frequently in the very near to mid-term -- band-aids, not real solutions -- and have an extreme difficulty articulating both the long-term strategy, and when changes in said strategy are made. Plenty of lip service paid to the pursuit of company transparency without any meaningful progress made, ever. "Open" environment really only endorses certain opinions/points of view -- generally those that agree with management.

Engage in a real human capital inventory. Confront the results, do not spin them. Bring in non-partial, outside help. Be forthcoming with them about the structural issues. Listen and implement real change, even if that means at the top.

Everything written here is true. I wish I would have paid more attention to the negatives on here before I started.

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time

Pros

Yes, people are very intelligent here, yes, it is great to be in a company that is so interesting and that we can believe makes a positive difference in the world, and yes, it is a decent place to build your career up for some time only to take those skills elsewhere.

Cons

All the negative comments written on this website are very true. The upper management here knows nothing about management. Unfortunately not enough is being done about it very fast. Anyone with any type of vision gets no where due to the inability of the senior management to make any kind of business decisions. Way too much emphasis is placed on socializing, enjoying the companionship of your colleagues and a good work-life balance. If you want your career to go anywhere, only come if you plan to build up your skills for a short period and then get out of here as soon as you can. The company is designed with no sense of upward mobility, no structure, and then they are surprised that people leave. Unfortunately having fun at work and contributing to making a difference is not turning out to be enough. People need structure, incentives, genuine leadership.

The entire company needs restructuring and no one there seems to be capable of doing it. If only I felt like sending all the current management out for some business management training would make a difference.

I would sell the company to someone who actually knows how to run a business. The current management can keep doing what they do, but someone else needs to run the company.

Interesting clients, ridiculous management

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun to speak to a variety of clients about interesting topics that change on a daily basis depending on politics, markets and sentiment. Great group of mid-level and entry level intelligence-- creates incredible opportunities to expand knowledge on a wide range of issues. Fun environment and great for personal exposure.

Cons

Management is below-par on a large scale. Appears that no one in a decision-making position has any real background in decision-making. Very little regard for the happiness of employees, false sense of serenity by management-- there is general assumption employees are happy. No real direction for business, it seems like mad-grab for money as opposed to really developing strong analytical skills of staff... NO training at all, seems management is more concerned about a rotating door policy, i.e. when employees are not happy rotate them out for younger, cheaper labor.

Start to hire people with real management and business skills. Work with, not on top of your staff. Create real sense of belonging, not "everyone is expendable mentality."

Eurasia Group Photos