Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories

Updated December 11, 2014
3.2

Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories President Timothy Oostdyk
Timothy Oostdyk

Pros
  • Immediate coworkers are fantastic, good people (in 4 reviews)

• Job stability, pay is not too bad, but not in line with the industry (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There was very little work-life balance, they frequently requested OT days even when there was no real need (in 4 reviews)

• Terrible communication with upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience so far. Independent role, but support is abundant from both Lancaster Labs and the client.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in West Point, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in West Point, PA

I have been working at Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good support from the leadership at the site, decent compensation, good benefits. Training was a little overwhelming, but comprehensive. The people at this site are great to work with.

Cons

The contractor/client relationship can be difficult if you let it. The client sometimes feels that they can just order you around.

Great opportunity for those with little experience

Current Employee - Biochemist I in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Biochemist I in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Community environment through all levels of employment. Managers work well with employees and communicate effectively. Hours are fantastic, very flexible. Coworkers are eager to train and help new employees no complaints with anyone so far.

Cons

There seems to be a lacking and uniformity between training methods and techniques that can lead to confusion for newer employees.

Work to make a uniform approach to training and methods so that everyone is on the same page.

Competitive pay, good leadership, great team.

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team in Thousand Oaks is great. The science is industry leading and second to none. It's great to have after work social events as well.

Cons

The team is spread out and I would like to see more employees working side by side on a daily basis. This will help the team overall.

Strong leadership.

Great place to get a solid start

Current Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hire right out of college, good people, good benefits, great PTO, very flexible for family planning. Looks good on a resume, no lay offs, great GMP/GLP exposure/training, they like to promote from within and to hire off of employee references

Cons

A lot of the pros listed above are company wide but also many are department oriented. Some departments are great and others are little short or terrible. Salary is poor, and justified because they don't lay off but still isn't enough justification for my bank account, plus lots of overtime poured into this place which is nice at first but depletes the work/life balance after a while. can be a bit "political" as the company is growing out of it's britches constantly and everyone is vying for more resources, etc.

Pay your employees what they're worth and you'll deplete your turn around. Realize that you are bringing in enough money to do this and to allow the departments who are making that money the additional resources they need to e successful instead of constantly backed into a corner.

Good starting opportunity. Limited career advancement.

Current Employee - Chemist I in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Chemist I in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Paid Holidays and generous PTO
    Independence and minimal supervision

Cons

Benefits and Compensation levels
    High turnover
    Don't feel connected to rest of company
    Personal growth limited

Pay more, and you will see an increase in output.

Very low compensation

Current Employee - Microbiologist in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Microbiologist in Lancaster, PA

Pros

They matched 401k from the start, and job security is good.

Cons

Extremely low pay compared to the rest of the industry. I received a 35% pay increase to my base salary when I left the company. Received no sick time, employees would have to use vacation days or come in sick. There was very little work-life balance, they frequently requested OT days even when there was no real need. Middle management was very poor, some days I would receive no work from either of my supervisors (yes plural), and on other days they would double book my work. Our manager did not even know our names. Instead of using mistakes as a learning experience, they would use anything and everything against you to dock your bonus. They fired a girl from our department and failed to tell us for about 3 weeks.

Good place to get started

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Tries to remain loyal to their employees as much as possible by moving them to other open position if their's closes, The positions are hourly so you are not expected to put in more than 8 hours a day. Hours and position tend to be flexable, because the ulimate goal is to make the client happy.

Cons

but offers little in technical development, difficult to advance since your work depends on the client's needs

make more opertunities to contiune technical development for employees. encourage attendence to conferences, workshops, seminars, etc without having to seek the client's approval.

The best job I've ever had

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team on which I worked was really great, and everyone had a very strong sense of camaraderie. I was initially somewhat skeptical about the Professional Staffing Services model and I came here looking for some sense of what I was getting into.

First off, while Eurofins is a rapidly growing company, Lancaster itself (within Eurofins) takes a great deal of interest in its employees, and has everyone fly out to Lancaster PA for a week of on-site training. On the one hand, or anyone with a good deal of experience, much of this might feel a bit redundant, especially with site specific training that will occur in addition. However, while every company pays a great deal of lip service to integrity (by necessity), I would honestly say that I was actually impressed by the sincerity with which the ideals are expressed by Lancaster, as this is the core of their business model.

With regard to the rest of the work experience, I was fortunate to have a terrific manager in my time with Lancaster, and the team she managed had really excellent rapport. The nice thing about the PSS model is that as they are vending your services, they really take a serious interest in your professional development. In many experiences I've had in other companies (which have ranged from start-ups to multinational blue chips to everything in between, both for profit and non-profit), there can be at times an adversarial relationship between people in the lab and their managers. This was in no way a part of my experience with the PSS model, because they really want you to be happy, they want you to be productive, and they want the service you deliver to reflect well on their organization. This makes it very much a win-win situation. I felt very much appreciated for the work I did, far more so than for any of my other positions held. And I felt good about the work that I did, such that is made me actually quite happy with my life in general, so much so that my wife was rather sad when I left this job (due to forces far beyond the control of anyone whom I knew directly), as this job did so much to make me feel happy and productive. I produced some of the best work I've done here, in large part for the simple reason that the effort was recognized and rewarded. It is an incredible thing when you really have that, and it's the sort of thing for which you generally dare not hope.

Cons

The major downside is navigating the IT aspects, as Eurofins Lancaster has to deal with employees at client sites all over the world with different levels of IT security and different such security protocols at the client sites. Given that technical work already has so much redundant and tedious bureaucratic wrangling to deal with (by FDA necessity), this just adds another layer. However, I would state that this got much better in the time I was with the company, and this will likely continue to improve in the coming year.

Learning avenue

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Good place to learn and work

Cons

There is no growth in the company

Listen to employee

Great employment as a contractor at a PSS site

Current Employee - Scientist III
    Current Employee - Scientist III

I have been working at Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great management! Everyone is open and helpful and they all truly care about your work and personal life and want to ensure that you have everything that you need. Lots of opportunities to branch out and learn new skills with the added bonus of teaching your fellow coworkers about your specialties. Great relationship with client partners who are all very friendly and treat you like a part of the team instead of an outside contractor. Benefits are good too!

Cons

Salary is slightly lower than average compared to the industry standard but as a contractor I can understand. Did I mention this is a contract job? And as all contract jobs go, it can end at any second so that's always something to keep in mind.