Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories

Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories President Timothy Oostdyk

Timothy Oostdyk

Scientist

Scientist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsVery laid-back and flexible work environment.

ConsFew opportunities for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore professional development needed

Professional Scientific Staffing (PSS) - Solid job in a shifting market

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsLancaster Labs PSS provides a contingent workforce for many of the large pharmaceutical companies. It provides stable employment and an opportunity to gain great experience. It is a great way to start a career and build a network, or it can be a good fall back for people who have been laid off. They tend to hire energetic, intelligent, and hard-working people so the employees are generally a pleasure to work with.

ConsThe salaries are higher than temporary positions, though lower than full-time employees. There is little opportunity to advance, and some groups limit interaction with full-time employees, which effectively blocks networking (and thus any chance to find a new position via networking).

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a good job overall, though I have found that the West Coast sites are very disconnected from the overall all business model employed by the rest of the company. Communicating a more unified vision for the role of PSS employees could help maintain consistency and also empower and solidify the roles that PSS employees play working within another pharma company.

Decent company

ProsPeople working towards a good cause

ConsCareer pathway is not very clear

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better future growth incentives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doesn't value employees, management is terrible, no growth, little pay

Chemist (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsHelps someone straight out of school gain experience

Consvery little pay, not much growth, company's profits keep growing, but salaries stay the same. Cost of living raise doesn't equal increase in insurance, so you end up making less. Promote externally instead of from within, favoritism, HR and upper management don't care. They say "we expect a complete turnover every few years". Turnover rate is high...that should raise lots of red flags!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees to build them, not just build yourselves and your friends.

Stressful

Chemist (Former Employee) Bedford, OH

ProsOpportunity to learn new skills
    Meet people
    Good pay

ConsCompany low balled their bid to get contract. The goal that was set was unattainable.
    The customer provided no assistance to our group.
    After several months, they ended our contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more incentives to retain quality employees.
    Provide reasonable bids and demand attainable goals that can be meet.

Company as a whole

Data Review Specialist (Current Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsVery flexible schedule, attached day care, accepts new graduates for nearly every entry-level position

ConsPay for entry-level is at the 10-30% of national average for same position (according to monster.com on various job titles). I would only recommend this company to new college graduate who is desperate to find a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider increasing compensation to lower turn-over rate... in the 5 months I have been here 6 people I worked with had left the company with less than 2 years with the company.

Regional Sales Manager

ProsWell respected company. Pays well, fair expectations. People are great. Company does quality work

ConsNone that I can think of at this point

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good opportunity to get some starting experience on your resume, but no advancement opportunities

Biologist PSS (Current Employee) Lansdale, PA

ProsThis is a good place to work if you are newly graduated from college, or only have a small amount of experience. If you are a PSS (professional staffing services) employee, you get to work at major pharmaceutical companies to get solid, real pharma experience for your resume. Employees are generally friendly. Benefits/Time Off is in line with any large company.

ConsAs a PSS employee, you are only a contractor, so there is no opportunity to move around within the pharma company you are working at. Lancaster Labs has been contracted by the pharma company to do one specific job and you are rarely, if ever, given the opportunity to learn new techniques/assays. You do not have the benefits or pay of the pharma company's employees. You are also limited to what departmental meetings you can attend and therefore it can be a challenge to learn much about the research you are doing. There is virtually no advancement opportunities so the only way to advance your career is to get a permanent position elsewhere. The pharma company may entertain lower bids from other contracting companies for your job, regardless of the fact that you are trained to do it. Because of this, Lancaster Labs is not motivated to give out promotions or raises (because it only makes you more expensive to the pharma company). Promotions can happen, but recently they are few and far between. Pay is good compared to other contracting positions (when taking into account benefits), but significantly lower compared to permanent pharma positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore positive reinforcement on an individual basis is needed. Create opportunites to get promotions.

Solid, stable place to work

Chemist (Current Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsJob stability, pay is not too bad, but not in line with the industry

ConsPretty poor management, poor promotion structure

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of, and value your long-time, top notch employees. Quit falling for every popular efficiency method. They often don't work in our line of work!

Not bad

Prosstill have to pay for health insurance, 401K is great, annual bonuses, training is great.

Consno room for advancement, little perks for PSS sites, little communication to PSS sites, often forgotten.

Worked for Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!