Eurofins Scientific Reviews

1. Lab technician

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers. It's a good entry level experience but is not somewhere to work in the long run. It's good on the resume and puts your for in the door for other places.

Cons

Heavy micromanaging. Favoritism. Nepotism. Very low pay. Upper management will tell you to your face that you are replaceable, in case you have a work complaint. Very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Trust and treat your employees like adults and lay off the micromanaging. Give your employees a competitive salary.

Unprofessional and chaotic. Avoid unless you absolutely need a job. Then find something else anyway.

Former Employee - Lab Technician I in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician I in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and lab management are generally nice and personable. Easy to get a job; because they always need to replace the last employee who wised up and quit. Not much else.

Cons

This place is an absolute house of horrors to work at. Every employee is expendable; and as other reviewers have said, you're not going to see much in the way of actual raises or promotions. You have no real future at Eurofins.
    To avoid droning on about everything that is drastically wrong here, I'll just make a nice list of the major issues this place poses its workers:

-Understaffed departments with excessive workloads lead to a great deal of overtime
    -Hours change at the drop of a hat, meaning that what little time you have away from this place is impossible to predict
    -Equipment frequently malfunctions or needs replaced; bogs down workflow
    -Wal-mart like turnover rate decreases morale and effectiveness
    -Pay is beyond laughable. I made more per hour at a part time retail job in college. Benefits are expensive for what little coverage they provide
    -Excessive cost cutting measures hinder productivity

Advice to Management

If you truly want to back up the claim that Eurofins is one of the best professional independent testing laboratories in the world, maybe spend some actual time developing your testing facilities and employees.

3. Heed this warning...

Former Employee - Pathology/Microbiology Lab Tech
    Former Employee - Pathology/Microbiology Lab Tech

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time

Pros

some of the people were nice

Cons

literally everything else. I can only speak for one of the UK branches but I came straight out of a science degree into this and please don't ever make my mistake of taking the first job that seemed alright. I had no training at all but was still expected to know everything. In my second day I had to take on the workload of two people and was expected to finish it before midnight, yes, midnight which was barely possible. They changed my contract after a few days because they offered me a nicer one originally and then when I left my other job they changed it to ridiculous hours and I just had to accept it. The manager never even said a word to me and all the other staff were planning to leave. TOXIC environment. Don't do it to yourself. I left and now I have a graduate role. It's worth waiting, honestly. One of the workers had the same degree as me and was on 15k salary for ten years. No prospects and horrendous working environment.

5. Eurofins STA

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

None. No advancement opportunity. Ethics and quality should be the cornerstones of a business but have been pushed to the side for profit margins which are shrinking.

Cons

Pay. Management. ETHICS! Ethics capitalized for Eurofins STA does not possess any. Their SOPs are all out of date. There is no training. I had to rely on my previous experience in order to perform my job. Management has no guidance or direction. They miss positive samples sent into them for confirmation. Eurofins is a last resort for employment. Good to keep your head above water for pay but bad for a career. There is no motivation from higher ups and lower ranking employees. Once again good if you just want to collect a paycheck. Future applicants need not apply.

Advice to Management

Change. Lack of documentation and SOPs is a huge problem. Following a sample from start to finish is a challenge when it should not be because they have been in business for so long. Sales are down and rightfully so at Eurofins STA because quality takes a back seat.

It's OK for some time

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Most people are nice and professional. You can learn.

Cons

- No salary raises
    - Management seems to not care much about employee's working environment

Waste of time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

The company provides fun outside-of-work functions. The employees get along very well and generally form friendships outside of the workplace. Great place to wokr if you are just looking for a friend with similar interests.

Cons

Pay. That's a joke right there. You spend thousands of dollars on a college education just to get a job here with a below entry level position with pay comparable to a gas station clerk. There is talk of "you have a future here" but you won't see it, ever. Each year comes with more responsiblity without a title change and a below "cost of living" pay increase.
    Every employee is viewed as a machine. A machine with no say in anything you do. Everyone is replaceable. You aren't appreciated. You are overworked. Overtime is just part of the job, and not just a couple hours - 50 hour work weeks are the "norm."
    The job was only worth it for the resume building.

Eurofins US

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Steady business even in bad economy.

Cons

Headquarter needs to be significant.

Advice to Management

N/A

9. Dont work here!!

Former Employee - Microbiology
    Former Employee - Microbiology

I worked at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Some people on the team were very friendly and easy to get along with, helped when the workload got too high (which happened a lot!)
    Good for experience

Cons

LOW PAY!!!
    only follow lab guidelines and policies when auditors are coming to look around
    underpaid and overworked-had to stay and finish all incoming samples from that day even if
     it meant you were staying very late, no consideration for how you were travelling back/any plans you previously had
    Manager had a tendancy to not help and spend most of her time checking emails-told us to hurry up if we were falling behind but were working flat out.
    Very high turnover, constantly training new people who then leave after a couple of months
    Found that some who had been there longer, preferred to leave the majority of work to others including the jobs no one wanted to do.
    Managers were patronising and lazy

10. Good Place to work with great collegues

Current Employee - Software Architect in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice pay package
    - Freedom for thoughts
    - Complete control
    - not much hand holding

Cons

- small firm
    - less support staff
    - small admin and hr group
    - bad transport

Quality Control Analyst

Former Employee - QC Analyst
    Former Employee - QC Analyst

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can definitely learn a lot depending on your trainer. Take good notes, ask questions, jump in and get your hands dirty!

Cons

The cons...oh boy, the cons. I keep seeing the word "cattle" in the other negative reviews and I have to agree. You are worked HARD. Not meeting a deadline is unacceptable here even if it's something out of your control (tech prepped sample wrong, instrument breaks, sample arrives late, etc.) and YOU will be staying as long as needed to finish it. Co-workers are nice, but everyone has so much on their plate that it's hard to interact. Management takes a lot of credit for your hard word and will frequently deny vacation time (or offer a shorter time) because they're always understaffed! If you like OT, long days and weekend work, this is for you. I stayed 6 months and heavily job hunted after my third month because no job should make you this miserable. I would look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You need to give your technicians/analysts some breathing room. I had co-workers frequently not taking a lunch because they didn't have enough time and there was so much pressure to perform. One of the analysts put in his two weeks and the lab almost mutinied. You have to value your people!