European Wax Center

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015
3.2

CEO

Pros
  • Pay was good, free waxing to employees, they had front desk available to book appointments (in 11 reviews)

• plus commission is pretty good and you could make decent money if you sold a lot (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There were no benefits for part time guest service associates (in 17 reviews)

• Extremely low pay and low commission for all the work you do (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall it's a great place to work!

Former Employee - GSA in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - GSA in San Bruno, CA

I worked at European Wax Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros to working here are that you have the potential to make a lot of money if you put the effort in. Great people to work with and some of the connections you make with the guests just make your day. There's almost always something to be working on which makes the day go by fast, no one wants to work somewhere that the days just drag on.

Cons

Along with the pro of you have the potential to make a lot of money, you also have the potential to not make a lot of money. Some of the techniques are a little too pushy. The percent of commission you get off wax passes should be greater for the amount of effort some guests take or raise the hourly.

Up the commission for wax passes and add more computers to the front desk so that more GSA's can work at the same time. It gets busy and then the guests get frustrated because they have to wait which puts a lot more pressure on the GSA's to just kind of get guests out.

Varies Location to Location

Current Employee - GSA
    Current Employee - GSA

I have been working at European Wax Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My franchisee is amazing, and the centers I work for are spectacular. The job is not too difficult, and the pay is quite good. It's also just a fun place to work. We do team building activities on a regular basis, including get-togethers outside of work that are funded by our franchisee. We get great holiday bonuses, and we have monthly birthday celebrations. The products and services are also just beyond amazing, so it's easy to brag about our wax.

Cons

I give MY location 5 stars, but the company gets 3 due to corporate. Because these are franchises, whether or not you will have the excellent experience I had definitely varies. But no matter where you go, our corporate hat needs work. They have certain policies that are corporate wide that just make associates' jobs difficult, including our refund policy and procedures among other things. They are also not good at solving problems in a timely manner. Also, keep in mind that there are little to no advancement opportunities available. It is a great job, but remember that the position you enter with has a high probability of being where you stop. This is not necessarily bad, but it is something to consider when planning your career goals.

Franchisees: BE PRESENT. I cannot stress this enough. If labor laws are getting broken or policies being ignored, it's you who will ultimately suffer. You should also have enough respect for your associates to make sure they are happy. In an environment such as this, low team morale will kill you quickly.
    Managers: DON'T BE SLAVE DRIVERS. The waxers and GSA's both have a lot of pressure on them. and they don't suddenly become great overnight. It takes time to learn everything they need to know, and you need to practice patience. Otherwise, you will see a high turnover, and that is not good for a business which relies on guests who, for the most part, rely on seeing a regular waxer.

Great place to start gaining experience on waxing & fast pace.

Current Employee - Wax Specialist

I have been working at European Wax Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really like that there is great training. Flexible schedules.
    Payments are great, especially depends on your level.

Cons

You are working with alot of girls, so there is sometimes catty & jealousy!
    Guests also hop to different waxers, depends on availability.

Please know what you are doing.
    Take care of your employees.

Short-term employment

I have been working at European Wax Center

Pros

We get to work in a fun, fast-paced environment.

Cons

There is not much mobility with this company.

stepping stone

Current Employee - Wax Specialist in North Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Wax Specialist in North Sacramento, CA

I have been working at European Wax Center part-time (less than a year)

Pros

this job is definitely just a stepping stone. its great for gaining experience as a waxer. I also really liked my coworkers and most of the guests. and of course free waxing on our down time is always nice

Cons

pushing expensive products on guests some of which don't even work as advertised. associates get written up or fired for not meeting sales expectations. the non compete disclosure agreement. I understand not working for the competition at the same time as being employed by ewc but the disclosure states you cant work as a waxer for a whole year after termination of employment. get real!

its better to have a strong, loyal and happy team than to have a lot of miserable girls coming and going because they cant keep up with product sales. when I was hired I was under the impression that I'd be hired as a waxer and not a salesperson. I love waxing but I'd rather work for a company who cares more about their employee morale

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Guest Service Associate
    Former Employee - Guest Service Associate

I worked at European Wax Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free waxes, great people to work with.

Cons

Sales, lack of pay, not a full time job no room for advancement

I think it's a great place to work when I worked there. Everyone works as a team but I definitely couldn't stand how you had to sell waxes and less than 20 hours a week because they hire a lot of front desk staff.

Meh...

I have been working at European Wax Center

Pros

If you need the experience but don't need to make money then this is the place for you.

Cons

5% commission on the services offered is almost criminal...but they will hire and train you with zero experience. It's like getting paid minimum wage to go to school. The idea that you must put in your days off 4 weeks in advance is a bit absurd...in this industry and for minimum wage.

The flaw is the the business model that has little to no concern for their employees. You will not have any real employee retention without paying a living wage. Tips are nice but depending on location it may not make that much difference. You would have to be back to back clients to maybe make 25$ an hour...and you would be physically exhausted.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Wax Specialist in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Wax Specialist in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at European Wax Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Experience, confidence, and speed is what you'll get out of European. Plus hourly and a little bit of commission allows for a more steady income.

Cons

Heavy push to sell product including sales goals that if not met potentially result in probation or being fired. Very catty immature front desk staff (aka guest services). High turn over rate as most of the waxers are in constant fear of being fired. Basically dont get to comfortable working here.

Hire managers that actually have experience and maturity. Product sales goals are too heavy and stressful. Be more mindful in hiring guest services.

This review is only based on the east bay area region. San Ramon, El Cerrito, Walnut Creek etc.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at European Wax Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on waxing and products. Ability to earn commission so you get extra money on your check. Individual store employees work together as a team and become almost like a family.

Cons

Once you have made it to a store manager, there aren't really any other opportunities for growth. It is almost impossible to be able to get time off (even when you are salaried). As someone who was a store manager I can tell you that it was very difficult to be able to do your job due to the fact that regional managers would not give you any kind of direction or support, which makes it very difficult for you to successfully do your job. This company is all about cutting corners, and makes it very hard for managers to get employees to take their position seriously. They do not want people to make careers out of their company, they just want employees to pass through and as soon as they start to voice opinions or concerns they are no longer looked at as valuable. Lastly, the only raise you will ever get there, unless moving to another position, is only $0.25 and you cap out after only $2.

Listen to your employees. Make an effort to help them out and to make yourselves available so that your employees feel valued. European Wax Center as a whole is a great company that I really believe in and really enjoyed working for. Unfortunately once employees trust is broken there is no real way to get it back. I understand that you have to make money to keep a business open but maybe you should put just as much effort into also making sure that you have a team of people that love their job, believe in the company, and trust upper management.

European Wax Center Response

Feb 11, 2015Regional Director

To address the cons, once you have made it to Center Manager there are endless opportunities for growth. The ability to advance associates, in my opinion, has always been when talent coincides with ... More

Satisfied with atmosphere and pay, but schedule can be inflexible.

Current Employee - Waxing Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Waxing Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at European Wax Center

Pros

Pay is equal to work output and the cleaning requirements are acceptable.

Cons

Health benefits are non-existent, time off requests are very strick. You must find your own coverage 4 weeks in advance and the focus is on numbers and product sales, not on reliable and satisfactory waxing results.

An esthetician should be hired on their ability to wax a person. They should be comfortable and effective with their client. Understanding that retail can boost their clints results and increase their pay is important, but should not be the main focus.

European Wax Center Photos