Evangelical Christian Credit Union

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
3.4

Mark G Holbrook

Overall good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I worked at Evangelical Christian Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

High integrity, high caliber individuals work here. ECCU strives to create a culture of life balance for its employees. They offer a great benefits package even though compensation (pay rate) is generally lower than industry standards.

Cons

Facing some tough times, decision making regarding staffing is poor and is causing staff morale to decrease.

Maximize the investments made in people in order to boost employee morale and retain business knowledge for the overall good of the company.

Christian Based Company with many flaws

I worked at Evangelical Christian Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people here are overall nice friendly people. Having a nice gym on site and working in a very nice environment helps. I like also having the weekly chapel.

Cons

Competence. Leadership lacks the competence to lead this company into the future. I had a hard-time when we did the round of layoffs after the CEO said we were financially in a good position. This company does not challenge and hold employees accountable for their work. I struggled looking at reports and other information that was wrong and still went out to our customers.

Mark Holbrook needs to step down. Change needs to occur and the only way change can happen if a new CEO comes in.

Tough Situation

Former Employee - Staff Member  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Member in Brea, CA

I worked at Evangelical Christian Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Caring, hardworking staff, weekly chapel, serves ministries.

Cons

Low morale, stagnant compensation, significant executive turnover and layoffs.

Be courageous and do what you know needs to be done.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at ECCU for several months

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at Evangelical Christian Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, friendly atmosphere, regular chapels on Wednesdays are great. The campus is second to none in this area and the gym is always great to go for a workout. Management is easy to approach when you need answers, but...

Cons

Aside from that, it seems like communication between employees and management isn't that great. Unclear/little room for advancement, some unchristian attitudes are overlooked.

Try to improve communication and networking between yourselves and employees. If there's a conflict, don't avoid it, resolve it, and everyone's better off.

It will be a great place some day

Current Employee - Manager  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Brea, CA

I have been working at Evangelical Christian Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, great culture and environment. The sense that you're contributing to a greater cause in a corporate setting is very appealing.

Cons

Instability, insecurity, regulator pressure, constant restructures that don't address the core inefficiencies, insufficient technology.

If you can't think of a different way of doing things, then maybe you should step down and let someone with a new perspective take over.

Was a great place at one time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at Evangelical Christian Credit Union full-time

Pros

Mostly upbeat staff
    Really nice work facility
    Pretty good benefits

Cons

Management makes a lot of monsey while trying to convince you that it is ok to make less than your peers in the industry.
    They consistently promote the wrong people.
    This place is nicro-management central.

Organize a 'real" succession planning committee. You have some amazingly talented employees that are being under utilized and un-motivated.
    You should conduct 360 reviews on all managment and then put action plans in place for the people that score poorly.
    The reason people are looking at for other places to work is due to a loack of motivation across the enterprise and the fact that there is ABSOLUTELY no career growth to be had within this organization.

Great people, mission and vision... Frustrating to innovators and achievers.

Current Employee - Research  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Research in Brea, CA

I have been working at Evangelical Christian Credit Union

Pros

ECCU is a Christian workplace with Christian coworkers. Their weekly Service / Chapel time is priceless.
    They have a beautiful campus and a gym for employees with racquetball courts.

Cons

In the dark ages technologically
    Unchristian personalities are not dealt with
    Values conflict-avoidance over progress
    Three years running of no pay raises or bonuses

Make the tough decisions
    Promote contributors, not conformists
    Don't promise what you can't deliver
    Stop promoting unqualified people who make emotional and capricious decisions

Values-driven Enterprise

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Brea, CA

I worked at Evangelical Christian Credit Union

Pros

The people you work with are generally really nice people. The values of the company are practiced. The ongoing training regime for new employees when they come on board is fantastic. There are all the bank holidays that are nice. The company really takes seriously its mission of being a premier ministry banking resource. One aspect I particularly enjoyed was the weekly staff meeting that was really like a mini church service. We had a band of musically talented employees who would lead us in worship, and then either the CEO or a guest speaker would deliver some words of encouragement. A great mid-week pick-me-up.

Cons

The culture supports trying to do too many things at once. Multiple initiatives and cross-functional projects may leave you feeling as though you aren't accomplishing as much as you'd like because you spend a lot of time in meetings.

Keep up the good work.

Worked for Evangelical Christian Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!