Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society
www.good-sam.com Sioux Falls, SD 5000+ Employees

Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society President and CEO David J. Horazdovsky

David J. Horazdovsky

Great environment with positive values

Creative Copywriting Consultant (Current Employee)
    Sioux Falls, SD

ProsThe faith-based culture is uplifting (and hard to find these days), the work environment hits the right balance of professional and comfortable, co-workers are encouraging and supportive, the work/life balance is very reasonable and flexible when necessary, benefits are solid.

ConsIt's a large organization, which has inherent issues with decision-making speed, approval turnaround, and overall organizational agility. At the same time, the size of the organization provides some stability in a generally unstable employment environment.

Great place to work

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
    Boise, ID

ProsGreat pay and benefits good staff plenty of hours.Management is good .The director of nursing even comes in early to help with breakfast.

ConsWould be nice to have every other weekend off .

Advice to Senior ManagementStaffing could use some improvement to give staff every other weekend off.

Flag Review
    Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society Dir of Talent Acquisition responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for giving this feedback, it is always nice to hear ways in which the leadership team pitches in and helps. I realize how hard it is to work so many weekends, but appreciate your ... More

Great place to work

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
    Boise, ID

Prosgood work schedule with good pay.well organized. the facility is clean with an awesome nurse to patient ratio. i like the contact i get to have with the patients and that im not so rushed that i cant take the time to talk to my patients.

Consits a pretty long commute from home for me. not many lpn positions. it would be nice to have every other weekend off and more full time positions for lpns.

Advice to Senior Managementusing more lpns could save you money in nursing hours. maybe utilize lpns as treatment nurses so the med nursse doest have so many interuptions.

Flag Review
    I appreciate your suggestions and thank you for taking the time to give that feedback. We are lucky to have you drive from a distance to give your time and talents to our seniors. I would encourage ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with amazing value system and follow through. The promise is clear in their mission.

ProsWorking for an organization that's mission is backed solely by Jesus Christ's wish for us to treat all as we are an extension of him.

ConsMinimum opportunities for advancements.

Advice to Senior ManagementTiers for individual areas help promote greatness and a response to the success and a future in the company. This should be adopted in all areas. Salaries should be reviewed based on experience both prior to becoming an employee of GSS and the experience within the organization.

No one cares

Charge Nurse Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
    Kearney, NE

ProsThe pay is good. If you like to work independently this is your job. No team work here. You are definitely on your own.

ConsNo real orientation. They call it orientation but they just put you on the floor and no one wants to train you. Everyone will complain that you are not trained, but no one will do anything about it. When your 30 days of orientation are over they don't ask if your ready or have any questions they just put you on the schedule and out on the floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo leadership. Upper management always in some kind of a meeting. They love to have meetings and have them catered. Meetings all day. You can't just talk to one of them, you have to set up a time and schedule a meeting so they can all be there. Huge waste of money. Residents are bored. Just sit in their rooms, don't get taken to activities. No real place for them to gather. Very sad situation. Under staffed all the time.

It's What You Make I

CNA (Current Employee)
    De Land, FL

ProsThe reward I get from helping patients is the main advantage
    Very flexible in scheduling

ConsLittle teamwork
    Low pay
    Unfriendly management staff

Advice to Senior ManagementSay hello
    SMILE

Great Company But Below Average Compensation

Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsChristian mission and vision. Source of employment in many smaller communities.

ConsTop heavy in executive management. Compensation is not based on merit and does not reward some of the lowest paid, hardest working employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry out mission and vision in all aspects of operations including better compensation for employees.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

More good days than bad.

ProsNo rotating shifts, easy to get on every 3rd weekend. Most co-worker are great, easy to find someone to switch if you need.

ConsEMR system is not user friendly
    Extremely unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished by one nurse.
    Lots of talk from management about being a Good Samaritan, but good luck finding anybody that walks the walk

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less times in meetings with each other trying to figure out what changes need to be made to improve staffing and process, and answer a light or two. Try talking to your staff instead of talking down to your staff.

Family-like atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsPeople are very passionate about what they do. Treat everyone like family.

ConsPay is not as much as for-profit competitors but that is expected. The warm and caring environment make up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop staff and promote a family oriented workplace.

Depends on which dept you work in

Kissimmee, FL

ProsMy dept is OK, some depts can be awful

Consthe pay is very bad

Advice to Senior Managementbe more competitive with benefits and pay

Worked for Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society CEO David J. Horazdovsky. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society employees.