Evanta Reviews

2.9
Evanta Founder & CEO Robert L. Dethlefs
Robert L. Dethlefs

1. Great place to work

I have been working at Evanta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They strive to create and maintain a high energy culture. Advancement is almost guaranteed if you want to take on the responsibility.

Cons

as far as other jobs I have had, the cons are very minimal,so much so that I had to think about it and not worth mentioning

Advice to Management

keep the environment moving and thriving. Don't get bogged down in minute details that they become to big and the purpose of Evanta is lost. Learn how to articulate the Vision of the CEO.

I would advise against working for this company. I read the reviews and still took a chance. Not a good move.

I worked at Evanta

Pros

Dangling carrots. Free parking. Benefits. Nice peers!

Cons

Offensive compensation. Petulant leadership. Corrupt and unsafe HR. Overall lack of transparency.
    Any positive reviews from current employees have *absolutely* been prompted to do so.

Advice to Management

“The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.”
    – Colin Powell

interesting place....

Former Employee - Sak
    Former Employee - Sak

I worked at Evanta

Pros

Challenging environment, great people. Events were fun to build and attend. The road map is set for you, if you follow it you will get to your destination.

Cons

Management was a bit overbearing, however it is all in an effort to drive success. Support when you needed it was lackluster at times, however you are held accountable for what you put into it.

Advice to Management

Value the people you have

Don't Wast Your Time

I worked at Evanta full-time

Pros

Umm. This is a stretch but there is free parking and you are close to great places for lunch.

Cons

Upper management is out of sync with the employees and are not leaders. When a company makes you sign a new comp plan every quarter you know something is amiss. Have to drink the Kool-Aid to be successful and there is a lot of favoritism. This is the worst company I have ever ever worked for. I am so happy I got out. Do not waste your time with this company.

Such a good idea in the hands of not too gifted!

I worked at Evanta

Pros

Great people! Great atmosphere, even though sometimes everybody is so tense for nothing. The job gets done.

Cons

A company which promotes leadership but fails at it. Senior managers are way too encrusted in their positions. Remember: it is not just the money you bring, it is also the people you train to be leaders. Unfortunately, every senior manager fails at being good at his/her job.

Advice to Management

Quit being so self-absorbed, do the job you are definitely paid for.

Really discouraging environment

I have been working at Evanta

Pros

I can think of quite a few good things about Evanta: Convenient downtown location, free parking, gym reimbursement, younger demographic, great resume builder, fairly easy to get hired if you know someone who works here (or are related to an executive staff member).

Cons

I don't know if our executive team is out of touch or just know they are untouchable but they don't seem to really understand how to motivate and inspire the (fairly) young workforce they've hired. I think that this is a fine starter job but would never recommend it to someone looking for a long term career, especially if they are female. Our CEO seems sexist and if you look at the executive team or the sales organization, you will see male dominated management. It would be nice to see females being recognized and promoted into roles that they are clearly qualified for.

Advice to Management

Executive staff needs to quit being scared to tell the CEO how they feel. He is obviously a visionary but he's not always right and it's your job to tell him that. You need to think about how his emotional decisions affect morale and create resentment. That is your job. Yes, skydiving and golf are fun but most of us are not looking for a company that will take us somewhere once a year. We want a company we can grow with and after a recent re-organization that included a promotion of someone who is less qualified than a female that was not considered for the role, I am discouraged by this environment.

Beware of Endless Contracts!

I worked at Evanta

Pros

Beer on Fridays. Flashy perks. Decent pay. Good resume experience. Met some cool people. I learned what I don't want out of a career.

Cons

I worked in one of the non sales depts as a contractor for almost a year at 40 hours a week with the personal goal of being hired full time.

HR was surprisingly the worst part of Evanta for me. They are nice at first but the longer you are there, the more you realize how inconsiderate and two faced HR is. They are not transparent with their means of endless contracts. They will inconsiderately let you know if you have a job or not on the last day of your contract because they don't care about your life or you as a person and will only make your life harder if you bring issues to them. They will tell you that they can't hire you on because they don't know how business will do. This is a BS excuse that ends up insulting your intelligence. Don't tell me you don't know how business will do when I see positions opening, the company expanding, and have to hear about how good it's doing at praise progress meetings every week. I'm not a moron. Workers are just a tools to Evanta and HR has the business's best interest clearly at heart. Don't trust them. They are better at being defensive than being helpful.

As a contractor, they expect you to give 100% loyalty to the company while they show you no commitment with their endless contracts, which means you won't receive health benefits from them until more than a year later if they decide to hire you full time one day. Even if you are a good worker, show up on time every day, and are liked by the company none of those things matters when it comes to hiring contractors on full time.

The environment is oppressive and underhandedly cold and detaching. The exec staff isn't empowering and doesn't give any incentive for non sales departments. It's just all about money-making. Everyone sucks up to the CEO which is annoying and no one stands up for each other. The lack of empowerment and respect paired with the high stress, fast paced environment is honestly soul sucking, and I realized it wasn't worth the sacrifices I was making to work for the company, which is why ultimately I don't resent being laid off twice.

The turn over rate was crazy. There is probably a reason for that. Also during my orientation, one of the exec staff made a comment saying that introverts don't do well at Evanta. Being an introvert myself, this was obvious discrimination and a precursor to the Evanta experience. They only care about what's on the outside and not the inside.

If you are thinking about contracting for this company, only stay for 1 contract and be done unless you're looking to settle. Otherwise, this is a stepping stone for younger people. Also if you're going to play the Evanta contract after contract game then play it, which means don't take it too seriously and know how to take advantage of whatever is trying to take advantage of you-- It's not really the most ideal attitude to working somewhere, but the company gets to pick the game. Don't get jerked around by them.

Advice to Management

Don't undermine your employees and stop trying to hoodwink them. Find value in other things besides money. Be more transparent with contractors as to what your intentions are from the get go.

Lucky I got out quickly

I worked at Evanta

Pros

I can't think of one Pro.....perhaps location? chairs? travel opportunities? work life balance perhaps, but then when you are home you spend your time wishing you weren't a wage slave and didn't have to go back there.....

Cons

Absolute terror of a CEO. He is rude beyond your imagination. He is hypocritical, self-centered and basically just a sad little man. Speaks to the staff as if he is some sort of messiah. Actually I think he believes he is.

The CIO clients that support the company must have no clue as to the painful experience the Evanta staff endures daily to create their programs. I seriously doubt they are aware of the wretched, humiliating environment that is Evanta.

Advice to Management

oh my Bob, get the hell out. you are a horrible, horrible CEO.

Stockholm Syndrome

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Evanta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is okay
    Benefits are competitive
    Downtown location is convenient for some

Cons

You would think that a company whose entire brand is based on fostering leadership for Fortune 1000 executives would have the guts to practice what it preaches, but you’d be wrong. The leadership at this company is a complete hypocrisy. The CEO leads through fear mongering, insecurity, and paranoia. And when you reach a certain level of his “inner circle,” he’ll confess as much. If you want to work for a conniving classist with a severe messiah complex, here’s your chance. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen anyone double park in Portland, but this monster double parks his Maserati in front of Starbucks every morning.

The problem is, no one confronts him about any of his inexcusable behavior. It’s one thing to double park in front of a coffee shop; it’s another to demean and devalue your employees. The CEO thinks his behavior is just “wacky.” It’s not. The CEO is just a fearful little man who uses his insecurities as fuel for tyrannical leadership. Get some help already.

The CEO throws things at employees during meetings. The sales VPs are callous and demeaning, yet go out of the way to make sure you know how religious they are. The HR department is a farce. The new CFO is an okay guy. The old CFO is pretty jolly but nobody knows what he does now that he’s not the CFO. The IT guy is nice enough but he definitely toes the company line.

Below I’ll outline a few more things you can expect to get when you work for Evanta:

Stockholm Syndrome
    It’s been said in these reviews before, but I can’t think of a better way to describe what working at Evanta for more than a year does to you other than to compare it to what many survivors of hostage situations have experienced. The positive reviews on this site that aren’t directly written by the executive team come from employees experiencing feelings of empathy and positive feelings for their captors. If you want to learn what traumatic bonding can do for you, join this wretched company.

Praise Progress
    A cursed, white-knuckle affair that happens every Friday. The CEO and executive staff position themselves in a Supreme Court-like setting in front of the entire company. The CEO rants. The VPs nod vigorously in agreement. Each program director is expected to give updates on his/her program. The CEO frequently patronizes the program directors if they don’t tell him the numbers he wants to hear. He calls them “teaching moments.” Most of the non-sales team is silent. Once in a while the CEO will get uncomfortable due to the lack of participation. He’ll then force everyone to come up with something to say during the meeting. If you want to see the most uncomfortable, fearful group of people on the west coast on a Friday morning at 7:30am, go to an edition of “Praise Progress.” It’s a sight to behold.

Soup Kitchen Wednesday
    A day when a predetermined group brings largely unidentifiable sludge in mass quantities for everyone to eat by 10am — a real salmonella roulette. You are advised to only partake in Soup Kitchen Wednesday when something easily identifiable as packaged and prepared food (such as cereal out of a box) is presented as an option.

Lavish Year-End Parties That Cost As Much As A New Mercedes
    Nothing makes the executives feel better about themselves than throwing ridiculous themed parties at the end of the year. Usually at The Nines or a comparably upscale hotel. Everyone then sits for 5+ hours while the CEO pontificates about the company, politics, whatever. They give out some cheesy awards. Then there’s some dog and pony show that gets more and more ridiculous as time goes by. Last year there was a mechanical bull. You can’t make this stuff up. If you’re looking to write the next big office sitcom, this company will give you all the material you need.

An “Outing” Whenever The CEO Is Feeling Particularly Unloved
    You’ll go bowling. You’ll go golfing. Hell, you might even go skydiving. It really just depends on what kind of mood the CEO is in. It’s like what my mom used to do when I was a kid to pacify me when I was getting shots at the doctor’s office. You feel the pain, then you get a treat. It’s a pretty sick system, to be honest.

Advice to Management

People actually look to you for guidance and growth. If you really want to be leaders, then lead. In my time at Evanta, there was no career mentoring, no positive reinforcement, nothing. If you isolate yourself from your team either physically or emotionally, they’ll lose respect for you. Engage employees to do the best work they can and actually support them from day one. Instead of sitting in front of them during "Praise Progress," how about sitting WITH them?

I have been working at Evanta

Pros

you get to interact and speak with a lot of amazing leaders around the country that in turn make you realize how poor the leadership is at Evanta

Cons

nothing more then what has already been said. Get out while you can before you have to start playing the "game" of business politics.

You will be looked down upon for doing any of these things, which will automatically put you on a path for zero growth or development.

1) Have a Kid (Especially if you are a female) Its like you are cheating on your Evanta family for wanting to have a family of your own.

2) Not be able to go to a company outing... No matter what the excuse is, you will forever be put on the CEO's list.

3) Take a Friday off of work (You cant miss Praise progress as it is the only time the CEO can listen to his own voice and mandate that everyone gush over him and his ideas)

4) Ask the CEO for a raise or fair pay (Again you should feel honored to work there and the CEOs mentality is that you should actually pay him for the opportunity to work for him)

5) Interact with any employees outside of work or a work affiliated event. (not allowed to have friends at the work place)

6) take credit for anything (All credit has to go back to the CEO for giving you the opportunity)

I can go on and on...

Just know that it has gotten to the point that I get fully depressed on Sundays knowing that I have to go back into that office on Monday morning. I wake up in cold sweats, and ask myself everyday why I put myself through it... The reason? I need to pay my bills for my family and until I find something else I will just keep playing the game that the CEO has asked us to play in pretending that we love this place and that we actually respect the man that he is.

Advice to Management

Pretty Obvious