Event Network

Event Network President Larry Gilbert
Larry Gilbert

Good. Could be great!

I worked at Event Network

Pros

Great climate, content and company

Cons

Lacked metrics for evaluating success

Take time to lead

Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Event Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for, they really focus on the culture of a place and select staff who can actually fit. They are a growing company, so there's plenty of room to grow.

Cons

The majority of the positions are part-time and seasonal. You may also get bounced from one location to the next just to get viable hours.

Upper management should pay more attention to longevity and hard work. I've known several people who have worked (and worked hard) who have been overlooked for promotion, or have had to complete duties that aren't actually part of their job but wouldn't get done otherwise.

Enormous Potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Event Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rapidly growing organization, some great people

Cons

Poor infrastructure. failed systems conversion

Spend some money on seriously fixing the infrastructure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job! I get paid to play.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Event Network part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have school aged children who are involved in many activities. Working at eventnetwork I am able to attend most of their activity. My manger is understanding and flexible.I started as a sales associate in the spring of 2012 and quickly worked my way up to a sales lead (keyholder) I enjoy the people I work with it is a very friendly team environment.

Cons

When my children get a little older I think I would like a full time position. Unfortunately most of the sales positions with EN are part time.

Hire a few full time employees.

Enthusiastic and Friendly management

I have been working at Event Network

Pros

Great management. All workers have very positive dispositions and create a welcoming environment for other employees.

Cons

The py is low and there are not a lot of opportunities for growth unfortunately.

Skydeck management sometimes are not cooperative or comprehensive

I have been working at Event Network part-time

Pros

Room for growth and opportunities

Cons

Managers can be difficult to deal with, particularly directors

Fun, challenging, not for the weak-minded or weak-willed. Retail with a purpose.

I have been working at Event Network for more than 8 years

Pros

An honest focus on supporting the missions of world-class museums. Every items sold sends money back to the museums they partner with, so you can work retail and still support a bigger mission or something you are more passionate about.
    The items sold are fun and different, there are a lot of opportunities to interact with all kinds of people and to learn about business at the same time.
    Hard work is rewarded and celebrated. Stores are encouraged to each have their own identity.
    Management is good about taking constructive criticism, and the corporate office is easy to call in to- the general phone list even provide's the President's phone number, which is unheard of in most companies. He answers the phone personally and responds in email, he does not ignore people.

Cons

Every store is different, and has a different need. Because the museum business is highly seasonal, some years are amazing with wonderful coworkers, and some are a challenge with people that just want to make a quick buck and don't support one another. Hiring has to be done carefully so that entitled people don't start taking over and trying to just get a paycheck for nothing.

There are no free rides at Event Network- our work is a challenge, so only apply if you're ready to actually help people and try to make guests happy.

HR is becoming more and more detached from reality recently. They roll out new programs every year that we all waste time learning that end up taking more time than ever. Many new things are not tested fully and stores have to fly blind. I would rather write out an annual report on a chalkboard everyday than give another dime to ADP, that company is useless.

Upper echelon management has been hired out of company, which is risky and doesn't pay off often- we need longer interview processes for these positions to be sure that new hires will believe in our mission and not just bring whatever garbage they've learned in normal retail. We are not normal retail and don't want to be.

There is a disconnect between the stores and the SSC (store support center). Communication is emphasized but not followed with discipline. Scheduling more phone calls is not the answer. Be honest about what is wrong is the answer. Phone calls just serve to take management off the floor and detach them from helping guests and partners.

I don't want to hear from my boss 'let me know how that goes', or 'good luck'. If I told you about it's because what I am doing is being ignored- you need to become involved at that point. Some bosses are better about following through than others, some have been actually amazing.

Calling something a 'training call' is just an excuse to discuss best practices and what we all did last week or last year. Again. Too much redundancy in this. We are more ambitious and can do better.

3 years I will never get back

I worked at Event Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

store location, transfers between locations

Cons

constantly changing schedule, no raises, no room for movement up

Complete brownnose Company

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Event Network part-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere of working in a Museum is always rewarding. I have loved The Henry Ford since I was a child attending Greenfield Village for the first time.
    Every member of the team is all about selling the experience, communicating with the guests to ensure they purchase something that will help them remember the best part of their visit, I enjoyed talking with customers about their experience.
    The people I worked along side and those that reported to me as well were all great people, working hard to meet the standards of the job position and adhere to company policies.
    Management meetings were always helpful and structure to allow input from the managers on what was working each day and what could be improved on. Gave the impression that what we thought actually made a difference.

Cons

Brownnosers; honestly this is such a strong issue for me. Allowing certain management staff to be off the floor to chit chat with the directors about their lives while the sales floor is overwhelmed with customers and because the day has been so busy numerous breaks and lunches are behind as well. IT isn't about how hard you work at, it is how much time you have spent chatting with the Directors to ensure that they know every detail of your life.

Hiring of friends: my most recent director felt it necessary to hire an old co-worker of hers as a manager, who was in between jobs. She seriously lacked the skills necessary for the position and was the first to blame others for her mistakes. AS the friend of the director she was believed over other staff members who had been working at the location for years. The "friend" left a short while later for a new position and now that an assistant director position has opened up, this "friend" has had 3 interviews and is most likely going to get the job, when she knows nothing about the venue, the strength of those who are currently working there, or the responsibilities throughout the day. Although, this "friend" is somehow more qualified for this position over others currently working at the venue that have been turned down.

Policies consistently changing: There is a shift called an on-call shift where you have to keep your day open for being called into work if necessary. The procedure for this process is constantly changing, sometimes you are to call in by a certain time, or others they can call you at anytime of the day. It isn't consistent, and frankly it is ridiculous to have a fake shift for someone who could possibly make money that day or possibly could not.
    Scheduling is a joke, it is in a system but is also printed out and can be changed at any point, some managers call and let you know it has been changed while others expect you to read the changes. The Director doesn't always approve the changes and sometimes she will change the schedule back to its original when changes have been agreed to by the individuals working the shift.
    The starting of 2013 all managers were only allowed to work 30hrs a week to allow Event Network to keep our job status at part-time and avoid giving managers full-time status. Managers would be disciplined with a write up for any hours over 29 in a week and were expected to manage that ourselves, regardless of the fact that sometimes the Director made that mistake.
    Sales goal and PWP percentages are unreasonable, especially if a venue has had the same item for over 2 years. The expectations of the staff is too high for the pay that is being enforced. As a manager I made 9.50 at 29 hrs a week (if I got the max hours for the week) which is $275.50 a week before taxes that is less than 15k a year. How could anyone survive on that, especially in a management role you will get what you pay for.

Invest in your employees so that they don't feel defeated every time they come into work. You can afford to truly invest in those that work for you so they work harder and are more productive.

Oppressive work environment masked as happiness and joy.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Event Network part-time for more than a year

Pros

I work at the Museum of Natural History. A cool landmark

Cons

There is something called a "call in shift" which means, maybe I will work, maybe I won't.
    Maybe I will eat, maybe I won't. I guess that is what prompted another part timer to steal $15,000 (yes $15k) in cash within 6 months. They kept that super hushed as their contract ends soon.

Stop perpetuating the lie of a happy and joyous work environment and address the SEVERE unhappiness of its employees.

Worked for Event Network? Contribute to the Community!