Eventbrite Reviews

Reset
4.6
Eventbrite Co-Founder and CEO Kevin Hartz
Kevin Hartz

Pros
  • My work life balance has never been better (in 7 reviews)

• Most importantly, I have the absolute pleasure of working with incredibly smart people who are the best at what they do (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's often hard to understand what your career path is or what exactly a next step would be (in 3 reviews)

• As any other growing company, scaling the product to meet the needs of the world are always a challenge (in 3 reviews)

1. Literally the best

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best companies I've ever worked for. The work-life balance is great. The benefits are top notch. And I literally hate no one in the office, they're just too easy to get along with!

Cons

Every growing company has growing pains and Eventbrite is no different. That being said, it does a great job at correcting itself and adapting to new trends / techniques in management / growth strategies / the list goes on.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to find new ways in doing things. It's great to get inspiration from other companies, but we should trust in our creatives more.

Great people and opportunities if you create them for yourself!

Pros

Great people to work with and lots of autonomy. As the company evolved there were a lot of opportunities that arose. If you are driven and dedicated you can go far.

Cons

There is a general lack of direction and accountability. The company grew really rapidly and there are some fundamental issues that need solving. Very reactive environment. It would be beneficial to pause, solve for current infrastructural issues, then start planning for the future instead of chasing after the next shiny ball without fixing anything. Leadership is not unified and getting people to adopt to core processes is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to pause and assess the current state of each team and the business to make sure they are unified and on the same page. Invest in your leadership but hold people accountable . Recognize employees and teams at all levels, not just the ones who are most vocal.

Nice workplace but company needs direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has a warm environment, and everyone is genuinely nice and welcoming. The perks are great, especially the "take the time you need" vacation policy.

Cons

Company needs more cross-functional leadership to drive forward. Technical leadership from the early days have moved on and there is a gap of knowledge between old and new systems. It's stuck in a growth phase right now where each department is working mostly in silos.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees motivated and get employees from different groups to work closer together.

5. So Glad I Chose Eventbrite

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

I'd highly encourage you to consider Eventbrite as an employer especially if you're looking for the following: - Colleagues who are curious, humble, bright, and always willing to help. - Company-wide support and encouragement to think creatively and voice/execute any idea. Collaborative and democratic environment. - Healthy work-life balance - the office usually clears out by 5:30pm everyday and unlimited PTO... yes you can (and should) have a life while working in tech. Despite being a "startup," the emphasis is placed on thinking things through and spending your time/resources wisely. - Leaders who are super transparent on Eventbrite's strategy and new initiatives, while also addressing the challenges and roadblocks. The co-founders hold an open and intimate forum each week to address questions/concerns from Britelings. - Being able to bring your dog to work and seeing dogs everyday. - Office perks - catered food, quiet library to work in, arcade games, smoothie room, weekly massages/mani-pedis/acupuncture/nutritionist services, and cool bathrooms. :)

Cons

Only con is the company is larger now (~ 300 people in SF) so it's tough to meet/know everyone around the office.

Advice to Management

Continue asking for feedback and being transparent with the company.

6. Great team, great challenges, room for growth

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, great chances to learn and grow. Benefits are great, wish pay was a little higher, but it's somewhat balanced out by the options which isn't common in Nashville.

Cons

From my perspective, there are very few cons. Communication with the home office in San Francisco can sometimes be a challenge due to the time zone difference, and the fact that people there tend to come in late (and work late). That sometimes means that it can be 10/11am before any other engineers are available for discussions.

Advice to Management

Continue on your current path. It's working well for the company, and for the employees.

May 20, 2015

Thanks for the feedback here! As an emerging global culture, we've still got a lot of room for growth. Our goal is to become a truly unified global company by building a muscle that hasn't existed ... More

The best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Eventbrite is a people-first company, and it's the only employer I've had where I've felt TRULY cared for. Beyond the "tech benefits" of the meals, smoothies, yoga, massages, manicures, etc, it is an incredibly supportive and open work culture. Leadership takes time for both small and large group meetings where tough topics are discussed with transparency and input is genuinely solicited. Work-life balance is celebrated and most people leave my department by 5:30pm (amazing!), but that's in part because everyone works incredibly hard - and smart - all day. That expectation of hard work is part of what I love about Eventbrite, because the people are motivated, high achievers who are used to accepting nothing but success. I LOVE my co-workers and even on the most stressful days I am happy to be in the office with them.

Cons

In general, there is a sentiment that salaries/bonuses are low compared to other tech companies. There is also not a 401k match (yet). However, stipends for transportation, wellness, great team offsite events and free meals do help.

Advice to Management

Keep being approachable, honest, and open about the company and our future plans. Encourage mentorship programs and create career growth paths. Have the holiday party in December, not January. ;)

May 20, 2015

Thanks for your point of view here! I really value that work/life balance is honored but also matched with a clear sense for expectations of high performance and big goals. I agree that this drives ... More

8. Fantastic work environment in a mid-early-stage startup

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Eventbrite is a successful company with a mission and product that I am inspired by. The leadership and management layers are both incredibly transparent, which I also value quite a bit. My peers are almost always will to help out wherever they can. I really enjoy that we don't have everything figured out yet, as that means there is a lot of possibility to make big impact for the business.

Cons

We're in our "teenager phase" of being a small, private start-up. We're around 500 employees so we don't quite have that scrappy, know everyone's name feel, but we don't have all of the benefits of a more mature company (more standardized procedures and tools, etc). This can be a potential con for people looking for more predictability and clarity in their day-to-day.

Advice to Management

Stay awesome and stay open and transparent -- it's really appreciated!

9. Eventbrite allows the freedom to produce great work

Pros

The values core to Eventbrite are always in the forefront and never compromised.

Cons

Wish there was more outward talk of bonuses raises or incentives

Good for junior staff looking to get experience, others might want to think twice.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

- Founders and management were all really cool and approachable. - Vacation policy was pretty awesome (possibly the best perk there) - Engineering mostly moved at a pretty good pace compared to other companies. - Engineering leadership were smart and qualified for their jobs (which is always nice).

Cons

- The business domain of online ticketing isn't as cool in 2015 as it was when Eventbrite was founded and Eventbrite is no longer a startup or a disruptor. Eventbrite is a peacetime company now. For me, this was a con. - Probably the most frugal company in all of San Francisco. If you're used to dual Apple monitors and frequent company outings, this isn't the place for you. - Lots of major Kool-aid drinkers across the entire company. - Python and Django as the hammer to every nail. - Some engineering teams would frequently shoot themselves in the foot by hiring very junior staff that required LOTS of training during periods where resources were insanely stretched thin. Which is great for the Jr staff, but bad for employees that have equity in the company. - Architecture was the concern of an oligarchy called the "architecture team". Do you have experience with software design and SOAs? Too bad if you're not on that team. - "No" as the knee-jerk reaction to most requests asked of Ops. Which is common to most companies, but worth mentioning that Eventbrite Ops is no different.

May 20, 2015

Hi there - thanks for taking the time to give your assessment of where we could be doing better and what we're doing well right now. It's so helpful to get feedback in general and I appreciate your ... More

11. Open, Organic, Professional Company

Current Employee - IOS Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IOS Developer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Bright and open working environment - Central Location, Downtown San Francisco - Wonderful perks benefits and meals - Strong sense of belonging, friendly people and culture - Use of cutting edge technology and software development paradigms - Fully transparent relationships between employees and management

Cons

None I can think of (maybe salary is just a smidge less($1-$2) then other bay area companies but I've no reason to complain, it's still a ridiculous amount of money)

Advice to Management

Already super open to employees, can't possibly think of anything more they can do.

RSS Feed </> Embed