Evercore Partners

Updated December 15, 2014
3.7

Evercore Partners President and CEO Ralph L. Schlosstein
Ralph L. Schlosstein

Mexico office underpaid and no repect from seniors

Former Employee - Associate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Associate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I worked at Evercore Partners

Pros

Technical competence and name recognition

Cons

Senior management have serious emotional problems, like to bully around

Respect your employees

The Mexico City office needs rehabilitation and integration with Evercore global

Current Employee - Analyst in Mexico City (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mexico City (Mexico)

I have been working at Evercore Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exposure to leading economic thinkers in Mexico. Very intelligent coworkers. Learned about public finance in Mexico.

Cons

No chance to interact with other offices/projects worldwide. The Mexican company Protego was acquired by Evercore but they basically just changed the logo. Most people still refer to the company as Protego.

One HR person for the entire office. This means no training/professional development. The HR rep is strictly for hiring/benefits.

No documentation/knowledge management/project management processes. This means every project starts from scratch. Lots of brain drain because people leave. Habitually late on deadlines (part of Mexico in general). We were actually calling former employees for help. People's idea of knowledge management is printing a prior project and putting it on a bookshelf.

Unreal amount of time in the office. People don't care what you get done, they just want to see butts in seats. Work-from-home/flex time is unheard of. If you have to finish something for a Monday deadline they ask you to come in on Saturday instead of doing it on your laptop from anywhere.

Barebones IT resources (i.e. we make diagrams all the time but don't have MS Visio, we don't have MS project). This is not an NGO and we could afford to have this software.

No upward mobility. Analysts are undergrads, some have master's. Then they all leave for a PhD or go work for the government. You can't stay and work your way up to a management position - there are no "middle positions."

You acquired Protego but haven't done anything to make it better. Sometimes it feels like we are just spinning our wheels in Mexico. Swap some managers so that there is more cross-collaboration and help us feel included in the larger organization. Not exaggerating when I say that all that happened was that they changed the logo. I have no idea what people do in other Evercore offices worldwide.

It could be worse...it could be a lot better

Current Employee - Administrative/Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative/Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Evercore Partners

Pros

Compensation is decent if you know what to ask for from the beginning - salary with overtime, bonus minimum, etc.
    Benefits are competitive+

Cons

- EXTREMELY poor HR department though recent changes relating to HR management shows some promise. Change is slow.
    - Fear of retribution prevents many employees from reporting unfair treatment or other issues.
    - Very poor communication from the top to the bottom.
    - Senior management at Evercore expects personal work to be completed by their assistants. This ranges from very small tasks to large projects dealing with family and outside interests. This work is sometimes personally compensated by the individual manager around the holidays but often times it isn't. Again, fear of retribution prevents many employees from tackling this problem despite being overtaxed and ethically conflicted.

Not a place for non partners

I worked at Evercore Partners

Pros

Prestiige of working at a mid town boutique investment bank. Compensation better than average.

Cons

If you are not a partner, you are treated like fodder. This is especially true for the support staff. At least the analyst have a chance at becoming a revenue producer, the support staff are treated like a changeable expense and often are. Beware unless you are a senior level banker.

It's a hard concept to acknowledge but there is work life balance for the support staff.

It's okay

I worked at Evercore Partners

Pros

Free breakfast,
    IT is super cool

Cons

Super stiff crowd, won't even know your name

Operations

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Evercore Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Boutique investment bank located in NYC with other divisions located in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC with a great reputation in the investment banking world.

Cons

I'm not sure of how the promoting works in NYC, but the branch offices don't offer any room for promotion.

Evercore Partners needs to be more respectful to its employees.

I worked at Evercore Partners

Pros

Evercore provides the opportunity for its employees to reap the benefits of both a lucrative income, and the chance to work with, and for, some very bright and influential individuals.

Cons

Unfortunately, some members of the companies middle-management treated lower-rung employees with consistent disrespect. This often made the work-environment a rather uncomfortable place to be.

The disrespectful way in which middle-management treated some employees was not appropriate, nor did it reflect the image of class, quality, and integrity which the company strives to exhibit.

Good place to build career

I worked at Evercore Partners

Pros

Great culture and friendly people
    Good benefits

Cons

Work life balance sometimes missing

Good atmosphere for an investment bank

I worked at Evercore Partners full-time

Pros

Evercore have a much more relaxed and friendly attitude than the majority of investment banks. Senior management are approachable. Great Christmas Party!

Cons

Working hours are as expected in this sector.

Great Firm

I have been working at Evercore Partners full-time

Pros

Great culture, great compensation, high-profile deal flow/

Cons

Dont want to work here forever.