Evergreen State College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Les Purce

Decent place to work

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsI did many interesting projects and increased my skillset at Evergreen. IT employees also have nice office spaces, and access to the college's resources. Overall, Evergreen is a nice place to work.

ConsCareer growth is slow compared to private industry. Don't expect any quick promotions.

A dream come true if you love teaching undergrads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeaching at TESC is a full-time experience; I estimate that I had 16-20 contact hours a week with my students and regularly spent 60 hours a week on work. You won't find the kind of freedom you have to design your program and teach how you want anywhere else. The students are amazing- passionate, and genuinely curious. You get to know each one of them personally. If you love teaching, it is a great place to work.

ConsEvergreen's lack of curricular structure means that the administration has a hard time predicting demand for particular courses. Contingent (full time, temporary) faculty are often brought in to fill holes in the curriculum at the last minute. There are cases where contingent faculty have worked at TESC for nearly a decade without any job security, despite being excellent teachers. Although there is a lot of lip-service to the contrary, contingent faculty are often treated as "second class citizens" among the faculty even though they are doing the same work. While most faculty members are generally collegial, there are a handful of faculty who aren't and seem to enjoy creating drama on faculty listservs and in meetings. For a place that talks about the importance of community, I didn't feel much of one amongst the faculty even in my area of expertise.

Nice work if you can get it (student employment). A great place with a variety of opportunities for student employees.

Student Employee (Former Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsFlexible work schedule, diversity of options, work relevant to your academic major, congenial atmosphere with other student employees, access to interesting equipment/technologies, ability to implement your own ideas on certain programs.

ConsWages for student employees (even highly skilled ones like lab workers or language tutors) remain low due to budget constraints, you will be paid for a maximum of 19 hours per week even if you work over those hours.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Work-Study Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDo your homework and get paid for it.
    Learn all kinds of new software.

ConsOnly able to work 19 hrs.

Positive learning opportunity, friendly people, insular community in a beautiful locale.

Shop Aide (Former Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsTight knit community, Excellent employee resources, Jobs for recent graduates, Management of each department invested in student and full time employment.

ConsInsular, difficulty bridging gap between community outside of the immediate area/downtown, Pay freezes for all but executive management during difficult financial times

Awesome place, complicated employer.

Olympia, WA

ProsLots of great people, cool things happening and cultural hub for Olympia. Beautiful campus and lovely place to work. State benefits are hard to beat.

ConsIt's a state job so it comes with all the politics and people that come with that. Some folks work really hard but others hardly work and quality of coworkers can vary wildly depending on what department you work within. Academic groups are generally good while administrative departments can be frustrating places to work.

Tutee to Tutor

Lead Tutor (Former Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsIntellectually nurturing environment in which to work

ConsExcessively liberal. Conservative mindsets are usually frowned upon

Colleagues are amazing, intelligent, creative

Visiting Faculty (Current Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsTESC is a progressive, liberal arts, PUBLIC college in Olympia, Washington. The curriculum is designed by the faculty and most programs are team taught. The students are open-minded, engaged, and creative. It is a great place to teach and has a strong learning community.

ConsDue to budget constraints and administrative priorities, TESC has started to rely more on adjunct or temporary faculty. This is a trend across academia, but doesn't really work for a small college, where students expect personalized attention and expect a lot of interaction with faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring the top adjunct as full professors, signing at least 3-5 year contracts.

Collaborative smart and exciting place to work.

Fundraising Professional (Former Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsSkills are enhanced and increased. Learning opportunities.

ConsUpper management not tuned into lower management.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communications

I like it here a lot much of the time, but the organization has some significant issues.

Olympia, WA

ProsMost colleagues and people higher up in the hierarchy do a good job, have a sense of personal integrity and treat me with respect; I have a lot of autonomy; most days, I like a lot of what I do; and I think our college, for the most part, does a good job of educating a majority of students.

Cons(1) Some faculty do poor quality work and we don't seem to be able to get rid of them, which is extremely frustrating. I think their poor work, coupled with enough students that want to skate by and rules that don't prevent skating by by either students or faculty, has devalued the Evergreen education and degree.

(2) Some really important stuff does not get done: sometimes it's unclear who is really in charge (the hierarchy is pretty flat and the faculty have a lot of power) and sometimes there are rules which seem anti-quality and anti-common sense to me.

(3) Enrollment is down and state support is going down down down and we seem to have to justify our existence more and more every year. I fear that we're going to go down unless our quality goes up and we can find a way to get more funds and/or fund ourselves (becoming more attractive to more out-of-state students, for example).

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with the issues I mentioned above: especially get rid of the poor quality faculty

Worked for Evergreen State College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Evergreen State College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Evergreen State College CEO Les Purce. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Evergreen State College employees.