Evernote
evernote.com Redwood City, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Evernote Reviews

Updated Mar 11, 2014

Phil Libin

A passionate and wonderful place to work.

I have been working at Evernote full-time for less than a year

ProsI feel lucky to be a part of the Evernote team, as well as being able to contribute to the company's continuous growth and success. Employees are very talented and passionate about the brand and what they do, and I'm excited to build a career here by learning from a smart and driven team. While everyone works extremely hard, the culture is friendly, fun and collaborative. I have a great attitude coming into the office and leaving each day thanks to the wonderful people I'm surrounded by here. Not to mention the benefits are wonderful - unlimited PTO policy, catered lunch, fitness center, and a program that promotes traveling to our other global offices.

ConsI have yet to experience any cons while working here at Evernote

Was once a good place to work! Product and morale is at it's all time low!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Evernote full-time for more than a year

ProsUnlimited PTO, the perks, some of the people.

ConsThe CEO is not the man is pretends to be in front of the camera or on stage. The company is full of nepotism and favoritism, full of friends and family of the CEO's inner circle. The company has a zero tolerance for mistakes firing policy that is not applied fairly. Managers are encouraged to fire people to keep other employees on their toes! I've witnessed some of the "friends of the CEO" that have done some major HR/legal violations that should have gotten them fired yet are still there and I've witnessed good, solid and smart people be fired for petty and minor stuff that most companies wouldn't have blinked an eye over. It comes down to if It was once a fun place to work, but success has gone to the heads of some of the leaders. Lots of good people have left, have been leaving or are looking to leave. The culture used to be something worthy of a novel, it was once amazing, but they failed to maintain this as the leadership lost sight of its core product and focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the terrible firing policy, stop using perks to attract and keep people, take a look at the nepotism and favoritism issues. Stop being fake to your people, they can drink the kook-aid for only so long before they begin to see right thru it.

Positive experience at Evernote

I have been working at Evernote

ProsGreat benefits, smart people and high energy

ConsNone in particular as of now.

Terrible work culture, poor upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Evernote full-time

ProsBest perks out of all tech start ups - unlimited PTO, daily catered lunches, tea time, gym, house cleaning, etc. Office is open and very well designed.

ConsExtreme nepotism - plenty of husbands/wives, in-laws, brothers & sisters, etc.
Very political, upper management is not transparent at all despite their efforts to try to make employees believe otherwise.
CEO is very unapproachable, uncollaborative, difficult to work with.
Terrible work culture

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking employees happy involves more than just throwing perks at us. Value us as people and set reasonable and achievable goals.

great expierience

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Evernote full-time for less than a year

Prossmart people, good life work balance, cool benefits like electric cars

Consnot something that I can think of right now

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Low Ego, High Talent, Awesome Place to Work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Evernote full-time for more than a year

Pros- Fantastic engineering teams that work together well and believe in Evernote's mission
- Top-notch core engineering team and a brilliant CTO who take the time to mentor other team members. You will learn a lot.
- There is very little bureaucracy and it's easy to get things done fast
- There's always a new project happening, so you're almost never treading water or bored.
- Plenty of opportunity to contribute your ideas and have them be listened to no matter where you are in the company

Cons- It's not a place to work if you want a 40-hour work week. Almost everyone works long hours.
- The pace of projects can make it hard to find sufficient time to improve bugs in the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees have a lot of faith in you and you've steered us right so far. Keep up the good work; make sure that you pay enough attention to raising the quality on the existing product as launching new features.

Love the products, love the people. Experiencing growing pains: PMs don't work as a team outside their group.

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Evernote full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products, lots of communication between most development teams. Helpful coworkers. Coworkers share the passion for software that helps people. You can contribute your own product ideas easily.

ConsAbout 15% of effort on all coding projects is wasted time because PMs don't organize with other dependent groups and then force last minute redesign when they finally share. Feature redesign is a constant, more so than any startup I've worked at. That keeps people so busy they can't always contribute to bigger picture goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave execution thought through more, many teams depend on knowing what the other teams are changing.

Incredible place to work

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Evernote full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking at Evernote is the unique opportunity to build products with a team of people driven to make are users smarter and better at whatever they want to do.

The company is small enough that each person has the ability to contribute meaningfully. You work with amazing, intelligent, enthusiastic coworkers every day and have the chance to have a huge impact on the product and the business in a positive way.

The pay is good and the benefits are great. It's an open company and culture so you know a lot about what's going on and feel very involved. It's easy to get pulled into high impact projects if you're smart and have shown you like to work hard.

The leadership team has a lot of trust in one another after working together for years, which keeps the politics and bullsh*t to a minimum. The CTO is one of the smartest people I've ever spoken with and also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and the CEO is a visionary. Several times I've walked away from conversations with him shaking my head like, "this guy doesn't know what he's talking about," only to be proven wrong a year later at the enormous success of something that initially sounded unachievable.

Most importantly I genuinely like and respect the people I get to work with, a lot of whom have become close friends. It's a treat going into work and getting stuff done with people you'd choose to hang out with even when it's not Weds evening and you're trying to get a web release out the door.

ConsAfter a couple months of awesome lunches you end of saying douchey things like, didn't we just have Tacolicious two weeks ago?

Company going downhill

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Evernote full-time for more than a year

ProsCatered Lunches, Electric car subsidy.

ConsI used to love working here but everything changed for the worse....

1. The company gives very low stock units and salary compared to startups, this is the reason employees are leaving left and right, and they cannot hire any star engineers. They go to remote corners of USA and other countries to lure engineers and pay them less. Once they learn about this they leave.

2. The work pressure is intense and product managers are inexperienced and create crazy release cycles on new year and holidays.

3. The company has an open policy to fire 10% of employees every year.

4. There is nepotism in the company, all top management is CEO's family and friends.

5. People who right code with less bugs and not recognized, people who write buggy code that create embarrassment for the company are recognized when they fix the issue.

6. Focus is on petty things like layout of buttons rather than on game changing features.

7. The quality of product is going down, since rock star engineers are leaving and focus is not on fixing bugs.

Advice to Senior Management1. Please try to make employees happy and provide a good positive culture.
2. Please share stock units with the employees, They are working hard and should benefit when the company goes IPO. The current formula will make everybody leave.
3. Hire some experienced Senior people, This is not a 20 people company anymore and current management cannot handle the complexity and challenges.
4. Please take a look at the how your Product managers operate and treat engineers. No body is happy.

It's gotten much worse.

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros-Many employees are smart, driven, social, and fun.
-There are some pretty cool perks outside of the normal (like house cleaning and an electric car subsidy)
-The product changes many peoples lives
-Users really care about the product, passionate input from users is common.

Cons-Noncompetitive stock and money offerings
-Artificial deadlines that are very hard to meet
-Overly aggressive product managers
-Opinions are much more valued than user testing
-Resistance to new technology
-Bad communication between teams working on the same features
-High churn rate of Senior people
-Very high pressure atmosphere
-Increasingly toxic culture
-Bad physical location
-Phil Libin stated to the company "I don't care about your happiness, just your productivity"

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the people. People are much more creative and inspired when they are happy. Stop instilling an artificially high pressure. Disrupt the PM driven hierarchy of micromanagement.

Worked for Evernote? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Evernote reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Evernote CEO Phil Libin. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Evernote employees.