Evernote Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
3.3
Phil Libin

Pros
  • Catered Lunches, Electric car subsidy (in 7 reviews)

• Nice perks - electric car subsidy, wellness program, housecleaning, Evernote Academy (internal classes) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The company has an obvious pattern of preferential treatment and has become an issue for many of us (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of key senior people have left and lots of very talented people have also choose to leave and many others were shown the door (in 3 reviews)

1. Great perks, better people, rewarding work

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nearly every team is filled with intelligent, affable, and motivated individuals. The company has built a great recognizable brand and is working hard to maintain and grow it while solidifying itself financially. Management is far from micro, technical leadership is well-grounded & highly respected, and cross-team collaboration is superb.

Cons

Being on the Peninsula with limited shuttle service (although it is walking distance to Caltrain) means that living options are limited unless you're the type who doesn't mind a 1hr+ commute each way. Not dog friendly. Evernote is entering the phase where the emphasis is on growing revenue and therefore projects tend to see significant (although generally not unrealistic) pressure to deliver something that will make a significant financial impact.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the people who have stuck around much longer than is the norm in the valley to help build Evernote into what it is today and what it will be in a few short years (I'm not talking about the founders/board members/etc.).

2. Every day brings world changing new opportunities and mind bending challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You wake up in the middle of the night, or pause in the shower and think "this would be so great if only it were a real thing" - and when you go to work you can actually make that idea a reality. Red tape is minimal, perks are great. Work when you want. Vacation when you want. Embracing the challenges actually earns the upside that comes with one of the fastest growing $1b startups in the world. Evernote is very good about rapidly promoting people to lead important projects with a corresponding level of trust, responsibility and respect for abilities.

Cons

If you don't get your work done, there is no one else who will get it done for you, and you let down the hundreds of other people who are all focused on hitting a strategic deadline. Evernote is deadline oriented and the agile dev environment that expects products to be delivered on time and in scope is a big challenge for some people. Don't come to work here if you are the type of person that needs a slow paced environment to succeed.

Advice to Management

Share more of the strategic vision and, if possible, the various options under consideration. You already do a great job of reporting metrics and being transparent about our goals, but because we are so nimble the sudden changes can often appear arbitrary when in fact decisions are carefully thought out and done for strategic reasons.

3. Fast paced, challenging career with great benefits

I have been working at Evernote

Pros

Evernote is a great place to work. I feel empowered to make critical decisions and that my opinion is very valued. I enjoy the critical technical decisions I am presented with on a daily basis. If you have a good idea we will run with it. My team is challenged continuously on solving complex scaling and technical problems. We are trusted with maintaining our customers most precious life memories.

Life at Evernote is fun, challenging, and rewarding. My peers are great people to work with and I look forward to coming into the office every day. We are always laughing and having a good time. I feel like my coworkers are more friends than people I work with. The hours are flexible to work around my schedule. Working from home when 'life happens' is never an issue.

We are treated with a high quality and diverse lunch every day, a constant supply of drinks and healthy ( and some not so healthy but very tasty ) snacks. We also have a gym onsite and better coffee brewing equipment than Starbucks. Where else can you go downstairs and have the CTO make you a killer mocha?

We have no closed doors ( or even offices ) at Evernote. Management is open and always available for us.

Evernote feels like the quintessential startup. We work hard, we play hard and we love our jobs. All of us are getting paid to do our hobby and we love it.

Cons

The only downside is where the building is located. We are in an industrial part of Redwood city with a view of the freeway and shopping center nearby. Downtown Redwood city is about a 10-15 minute walk from the office. I wish the office was closer to the cal-train station.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I have faith your plans to make this company last 100 years+ are solid.

5. Challenging, but fun and rewarding

I have been working at Evernote

Pros

- Extremely talented people
    - Lots of small teams working closely together
    - Fast moving teams, quick decision-making
    - Great environment, culture, people
    - Flexible schedule, great vacation policy
    - Lots of international offices to work from

Cons

- Tight deadlines
    - Occasionally long difficult weeks
    - Fair amount of travel (for some positions)

Advice to Management

Focus on key important projects. Communicate the company goals and vision regularly to reenforce focus general awareness.

6. Can't ask for a better work environment - people are talented and always willing to help out!

Current Employee - California in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - California in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came here knowing it would be a wild ride. Everyone at Evernote has the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of millions of users. If you are motivated by challenges and opportunities you have come to the right place. Evernote fosters excellent environment for smart, innovative and motivated people. We're laying the foundation, both technically and culturally, for years to come and we all have an opportunity to make an impact. We have generous benefits and work-life balance.

Cons

There are still a lot of organizational growing pains, but this is certainly going to be resolved in time. Everyone here has good intentions.

Advice to Management

It's an open work environment. If I had advice for management, I'd go to them with it.

7. Super collaborative and supportive environment

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

It seems like there’s endless opportunity for growth and learning. The team has a real willingness to try something new and unexpected. There’s still a tremendous amount to build and improve. There are some sacred cows, but also a desire to push into unexplored directions to make a better product for our users. Across the entire company there’s a definite aversion to going down the easy, brittle path. Product, marketing, and design all have long-term views of their work and seem to think deeply about their decisions. There’s a clear expectation that the company will be around for years and years, so doing the complex work up-front will help to avoid issues down the road.

Cons

Open floor plan in Redwood City is great for collaboration but can push you to hide in lounges and conference rooms when you need to focus on a project.

Great Company, Great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote (Less than a year)

Pros

I really loved working for Evernote. I was on the Web Team and they were a fun goofy bunch. They may programming fun. They are not only close in the office but best friends outside of the company which really keeps communication honest and transparent. Also I really appreciated the Transparency of the entire company. They had weekly all-hands meetings and the CEO gave some insightful knowledge that was happening inside the company and outside the company. The engineers work extremely close with their designers and I absolutely loved that.

Cons

There were quite a few sudden change in management because things were falling behind schedule at times. That kept it hard to adjust in terms of directions because one minute you're working under one branch and the next you're working for a combined or hybrid branch. It's not the worst thing in the world but it is something to be aware of in a quick small start up environment.

9. Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, perks, people, project!

Cons

I guess it depends on who you're working with. But personally I felt like I needed more feedback on my work (critiques, etc)

Fast paced and maturing global company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch is great, new office is well designed, and I use the product to keep myself organized. My co-workers have taught me professional skills, camaraderie, and how to get things done.

My family and friends use Evernote, it's an app brand I'm proud to work for.

There's a new cafe on the first floor lobby which has become a new spot to meet other teams, VPs, and interact with more people outside of your direct group. Some employees have volunteered for barista shifts, which means I get a latte poured during a causal work meeting. Yum. (Even the CEO occasionally serves coffee)

I trust my boss and have been trained over the years at Evernote. Looking forward to the next few years as we get this company ready for the next level.

Cons

Our section of Redwood City is stuck between a Sizzler, Kohls, and Applebee's. There's nothing trendy or interesting about the immediate surroundings if your interested in socializing after hours. Downtown RWC is decent if you're willing to walk/drive down though.

The office environment is not family friendly, it's unclear/opaque if children of staff are welcome to visit.

Overall it's a workplace with multiple teams and varying work cultures. One engineer's experience is going to be vastly different than a marketing team or QA team member. (This is not a bad thing)

Advice to Management

Goal setting as of late has been helpful - company is poised for a (hopefully) great 2015. Thanks

Great company with great culture

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is very transparent. CEO is very friendly, you just have to go talk to him and get to know him. Very good perks, company always does the right thing for its users.

Cons

No real cons, you have to love the product to believe in the vision.

Advice to Management

Some of the departments are run by inexperienced product managers completely. Engineers should be given more control and technical people should be valued more.