Evernote Reviews

Phil Libin

Bad choice for engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool office, nice people.
    I can talk with different teams and learn different things from them. Evernote also offers many services like house-clean and Academy classes.

Cons

If you're looking for a geeky company then here isn't your choice, it mostly depends on your department though. It's not free and easy to transfer between teams and some teams are such a mess!

Evernote doesn't seem to value the quality of products very much. PMs aren't very professional and some features we made, imho, aren't that necessary. Deadlines can be arbitrary and sometimes I just feel the company doesn't know SE at all.

Make better technical decisions, please.
    Coordinate with PM and QA more positively.

Great Peers Terrible Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time

Pros

Perks! House cleaning, electric car subsidy, great food, cell phone bill, and more. There are a lot of great individual contributors that are very social. It's easy to make friends here.

Evernote is very good on your resume, it's impressive to recruiters and hiring managers.

Cons

Pay and Equity are WAY below market average for the Bay Area.

The product culture is a nightmare to work with, the CEO can't make up his mind about what the company should focus on, and so the product teams are constantly switching for 120% focus on one feature to 120% focus on another. There are arbitrary deadlines set seemingly at random, and the direction flows one way, top down. If you enjoy constant crunch time, you'll enjoy this company.

Mentorship opportunities are non existent and there are no regular one on ones. Opportunities to learn new skills don't exist. Career growth? you should just forget about that now. There is a ton of employee churn and most of the senior folks left or are on their way out.

Redwood city, what a wasteland! The office is about 1 mile from the Caltrain stop so it's a pain to walk every day, and it's not around anything fun to do (a Kohls, K-Mart, and a Taco Bell). If you live in San Francisco, there is no reason to commute, there are tons of great companies there, if you live in the East Bay, there are tons of great companies, and if you live in the South Bay, just commute to Mountain View. Oooh, but there's a shuttle from SF they tell you... Yes, but it leaves before 8am and arrives around 7pm. I hope you enjoy 11 hours days.

The CEO literally said that he doesn't care about employee satisfaction, only impact. How can you be impactful if you aren't satisfied? This is a summary of the entire culture. Did I mention the equity? Such a joke.

I started hopeful and I left burned out. The product is awesome, but the culture is awful. The board needs to clean house at the executive level. The CEO can talk the talk, but his walk is just burning bridges.

Wonderful office and coworkers

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Evernote as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned here for 10 weeks as a software engineer. The guys I worked with were all great people, all friendly and willing to help as long as you reach out. Interns were treated as full-times-- they shipped my stuff, invited me to join team meetings and report weekly, participate in all-hands meeting with all other full-times.
    Also, great office and lunches and afternoon teas.

Cons

Commute was a little bit difficult to me since I was living in the city and interns weren't offered shuttle bus at first.

The company is on the other side of the bell curve, going downhill!

I worked at Evernote

Pros

The perks, some of the people.

Cons

The CEO would fire others for the mistakes he has made. Some of the decisions made over the last couple of years have been questionable and raise an eyebrow. Many of the decisions were made on whims and few of them seem to have proven to be wise, hindsight is always 20/20, but usually people will admit a mistake.
    If others were operating in this fashion, they would have been long showed the door. People get the sense the company is not as solid as it used to be and this is because of the turnover and the huge internal changes that have occurred in the last year. The environment is hostile and people have expressed a great deal of fear in sharing how they feel. Its usually a bad sign when long term high profile people leave, are let go, or are demoted. The company has to many VP's, Directors and Execs. They do seem to give "title" promotions to keep people. The pay is lower than market and the RSU's are also below average and have a few odd clauses, read the fine print!

Treat your employees with more respect and as people. Many of these people worked hard to help you build and grow this company and it seems this is quickly and easily forgotten! I think its time for a new CEO! I think there are a number of executive leaders who need to take a look in the mirror.

What happened to this company? Seriously!

I worked at Evernote

Pros

Not many pro's to discuss as of late. The company is world known and has a lot of users. The office itself is a nicely laid out design inside.

Cons

There is a long list of cons! I would suggest those who are exploring opportunities here ask some really deep questions and see what your responses are. I have heard that the answers tend to be evasive and not forthright.

It is not the same company it used to be. People used to love coming to work and be proud to say where they worked. Today it is not the same company it once was.

There is an extreme nepotism problem and a high amount of turn over. Lots of key senior people have left and lots of very talented people have also choose to leave and many others were shown the door.
    The work atmosphere is tense and edgy. The leadership at the top tends to publicly chastise people in front of others. Mgmt is not friendly or supportive, more combative and argumentative. There is only a small circle of people who the leadership actually listens to.

I would offer advice, but you wont listen to it. You will discount it, blow it off or pretend all is well and spin it. So why waste time mentioning what many others have mentioned.

Greatly Enjoyed my time working for Evernote Android Team

Former Employee - Lead Android Developer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Android Developer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for the Evernote Android team for 2 years. The Android team at Evernote consists of extremely competent engineers with a strong work ethic. The team is responsible for delivering a top notch application that works on a variety of devices and is used by millions of users and is the number one app for Evernote. The philosophy that is followed is all about making an end user productive and happy. The engineering process is very collaborative where engineers learn from each other and have a common goal for excellence. Engineers who have gone out to pursue other opportunities remain in contact with current team and are doing very well in their careers.

When i joined Evernote, i had no android knowledge and i was given an environment when my peers mentored me and challenged me and helped me become a better engineer.

Lately there have been many negative reviews about the company and the CEO. Personally, I have never had any interaction with the CEO since i keep a low profile but i had a great time working for my VP of Products(Phil C) who was also my manager. I got many challenges from him, got acknowledgement and i had a great time working for him. He is a very strong engineering leader and a great person to work with.

Cons

The company does not have a formal review and career growth process but i have heard that it is underway and should be addressed.

Focus on more core Business and Collaboration features.

Fast paced and maturing global company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch is great, new office is well designed, and I use the product to keep myself organized. My co-workers have taught me professional skills, camaraderie, and how to get things done.

My family and friends use Evernote, it's an app brand I'm proud to work for.

There's a new cafe on the first floor lobby which has become a new spot to meet other teams, VPs, and interact with more people outside of your direct group. Some employees have volunteered for barista shifts, which means I get a latte poured during a causal work meeting. Yum. (Even the CEO occasionally serves coffee)

I trust my boss and have been trained over the years at Evernote. Looking forward to the next few years as we get this company ready for the next level.

Cons

Our section of Redwood City is stuck between a Sizzler, Kohls, and Applebee's. There's nothing trendy or interesting about the immediate surroundings if your interested in socializing after hours. Downtown RWC is decent if you're willing to walk/drive down though.

The office environment is not family friendly, it's unclear/opaque if children of staff are welcome to visit.

Overall it's a workplace with multiple teams and varying work cultures. One engineer's experience is going to be vastly different than a marketing team or QA team member. (This is not a bad thing)

Goal setting as of late has been helpful - company is poised for a (hopefully) great 2015. Thanks

Loved everything about it for my first year, been going downhill fast

Former Employee - Development Team Member
    Former Employee - Development Team Member

I worked at Evernote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

By far, the opportunity to work on a product that is used and loved by millions of people every day. I took great pride in knowing that I was making a positive contribution to the product. There are some of the most talented people I've ever worked with working at Evernote. While I would not praise management (covered in the Cons section), the majority of the people actually working on the products on a day to day basis are outstanding (designers, developers, and QA). I also think that the product owners are very good at what they do, if they would be allowed to do their jobs as professionals and not micromanaged.

I have found that having Evernote on your resume is also a good thing for opportunities after Evernote (at least for the time being).

And, as mentioned in almost every review, the perks are extraordinary. Apparently I was one of the few who was approved and actually did take one to two one-week vacations a year, taking advantage of the unlimited vacation. Housekeeping was a great perk, too, although employees need to remember that the cost of this is included as part of your income and is taxed as such (and it seems that the housekeeping service charges a premium for cleaning Evernote employee's homes -- much higher than competing services). Free lunches are very nice -- but again, there's motivation for offering free lunches daily -- employees are on location and putting in more time at the office.

Cons

No employee reviews. None. Ever. The only one-on-one I had with my manager was when he first came on board and met with all his direct reports individually. No further one-on-ones with management until the day I left.

No opportunity for professional growth or repositioning when the company decides to move in a completely different direction for product. People who were hired for their specific skills (and who excel in those skills at Evernote) sometimes find themselves thrown to the curb when those skills no longer map to the new direction. The company would be so much better off - if when corporate changes are on the horizon, management would take the steps necessary to ensure that what should be its most valued assets, its employees, are provided with the tools to move in the new direction as well. Instead of providing training or mentoring highly-skilled current employees, Evernote has the tendency to terminate a previously valued employee and hire someone else with the skills dejour.

CEO cannot / will not stay focused on what users love -- EVERNOTE! When people say they love Evernote (and there are millions of us!), they mean the Evernote application. $5 a month for every premium user is what pays for the cost of running the company. Users are getting disenchanted with Evernote, and users are moving to other options. Why? Because rather than focusing all efforts on making Evernote as good as it possibly can be, they are off working on nothing related to the Evernote product (a market for selling Evernote branded scanners, styli, backpacks, wallets, wearables, and SOCKS!). Really?! Penultimate (pre-Evernote) was once the top handwriting app for iPad. No more. Skitch has morphed into something so far from what users loved so dearly, that I'm not even sure what its purpose is any more. I'm so surprised that the board has allowed such shenanagans to continue and hasn't mandated that Evernote will only work on Evernote. This would trim down headcount tremendously (and would possibly close a few satellite offices), reducing operating costs, and allow the remaining team to work on what is making the company money.

No salary increases for me or anyone I know -- so get what you can in your initial negotiations.

Stated many times, nepotism is wild -- not only family members -- but long time friends of upper management will receive extreme favoritism. There is an employee referral bonus program, which would normally be considered a "Pro", but it really doesn't matter if upper management has a candidate that may be up against another candidate. I've seen highly qualified candidates that were "common" employee referrals passed on without a cursory review of the resume -- then the next day see someone coming in to interview for the same position that is a friend of management. This is not just "the Phils" -- just about all upper management at various locations do this. Sadly, HR does nothing to correct any of this behavior.

Cannot express opinions that may differ from upper management -- even in meetings designed as such. People learn very quickly to keep their mouths shut and just let the management toss out the ideas.

Throw in the towel on all the side projects and focus on the Evernote app - just Evernote.

Be wise to the fact that you have some exceptional people working for Evernote that want to be valued for the work they do for the company daily. Also be advised that you are losing people who truly love the product, love working on the product to make it better, and who would want to stay if the company was what it was just two or three years ago. Grow your company by growing, empowering and leading your existing employees rather than replacing them with the newest model. There's something to be said for tenor within a company and employee loyalty.

Focus on the people who are doing all they can do for the better of Evernote -- the success of Evernote is because of them, not you. It would be wise to never forget that.

Great company with great culture

I worked at Evernote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership is very transparent. CEO is very friendly, you just have to go talk to him and get to know him. Very good perks, company always does the right thing for its users.

Cons

No real cons, you have to love the product to believe in the vision.

Some of the departments are run by inexperienced product managers completely. Engineers should be given more control and technical people should be valued more.

Good company with a lot of room for improvement

I worked at Evernote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great perks - good lunch, electric car (with free charging), gym, insurance, trainings etc
    - I love the product concept and use it everyday.
    - Users love the product, so many fans all over the world.
    - CEO takes weekly all hands and very open about whats happening in the company and what he wants to do next. Sometimes he is too open about his opinions abt other companies, some platforms and some features..:)
    - As long as employees are competent, I dont see a problem in hiring friends/relatives.

Cons

All companies have some cons and here is what I think Evernote could improve -

- Compensation not in line with silicon valley standard.

- No annual employee review policy, no career direction, no annual bonus, no new shares allotment(I heard this was changing). People have to announce their anniversary on Yammer to get manager's attention. People have to resign to get desired salary bump.

- Confusing goals, reporting structure, project ownership.
      CEO says we need "best experience", VP says "add features every week, maintain moderate experience & quality", Product manager says "ship on time, ignore experience and quality".

- Random promotions
    Intern PM made a VP because he can enact the CEO and crack jokes, senior software engg made a VP because her VP left and many similar stories. There was no pattern of hard work, good execution or great leadership skills to be made a VP/Director/Manager. No exciting career growth path for others.

- Missing proper marketing/advertising punch. New 1GB/month is much better than Dropbox or Google's fixed GB for life. Dude advertise it.

- QA team is a joke.
    - There should be a mandatory 2 weeks beta testing within company with the final release. Product managers and developers should get mandatory feedback from 15-20 actual users to evaluate the release.

- Improve product management team.
    Give them relevant trainings. Presentation skills, Charts and numbers should be a mandatory training. Call industry experts to give those trainings.

- Improve product slowly
    Remove user pain points slowly and steadily
    do things which users actually want.

- Give proper goals to products, features, teams, employees. If there is no goal then teams dont know what to do.

- Reward your team for hard work.

- Customer support and development teams should work side by side.