Evernote Reviews

Reset
4.0
Evernote CEO Chris O'Niell
Chris O'Niell

Pros
  • Best perks out of all tech start ups - unlimited PTO, daily catered lunches, tea time, gym, house cleaning, etc (in 7 reviews)

• Great perks - good lunch, electric car (with free charging), gym, insurance, trainings etc (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You really ARE the person you admitted to all of us during the meeting but many of us are NOT convinced you will change (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of key senior people have left and lots of very talented people have also choose to leave and many others were shown the door (in 3 reviews)

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Evernote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a product many people know and love. Sure it has its issues and some ideas (*cough* work chat, *cough* hello, *cough* food) didn't work out. But that's also the case for other companies (G+ is a huge success, right). I haven't personally worked on these projects so maybe I don't feel the same pain as people who did. But I do sense there's a certain drive in the company to try out new things and stay innovative. I always feel respected and my ideas do get heard. If you show interest and have a passion it truly is a place where you can use this to actually change things for the better. For me the amount of work has never been an issue. I usually get to work on things I'm passionate about and that match my skill set.

Cons

It's not really a start up anymore and lacks that culture. But if you get to know people you notice that there still many startup-ish kind of people that have a drive to change things.

Advice to Management

@glassdoor, maybe I don't have anything to type in here?

Emerald City - not as bright as you think

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a decent company to work at if you are looking for a moderately stable job, at a company that people know the name of. They take care of your physical luxuries. You always have enough food & free snacks, and the desks are open & spacious. There are some genuine people here who are good to work with. You get to make a visible impact to the company products, since the teams are not too large. Some upper people in the company do truly listen to feedback.

Cons

The company has been struggling financially, and this is evidenced by its recent desperate campaign of showing popup's to the free users. Also, many new ideas, like Work Chat, have failed in the marketplace. As such, we have seen something we call attrition, in which scores of people, including a company founder, have quit in the recent months. Desks and entire spaces in the office have gone empty, and the board replaced the CEO. However, the many of the untalented people (some product managers) responsible for the failures have not quit.

Advice to Management

Some product managers do not seem qualified for their positions. This leads the people under them to be frustrated and have doubts about the company.

Great place to work with amazing people

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People are very talented and friendly. It's a very comfortable atmosphere that sometimes feels like a big family. - You'd be working on a product people know and love. - If you're good, you'll climb quickly and get to work on mission-critical code. It's about skill and not how long you've been here. - Great work-life balance. - Engineers are never on-call. Our dev ops team is made up of real-life superheroes. - Free lunches are nice. Fresh berries in the mornings <3 - Free Evernote Business account upgrade for the duration of your employment! :D

Cons

- Recent budget cuts haven't gone unnoticed, although they have been fairly delicate. - It's not really a startup these days, if that's what you're looking for. - The door in the cafeteria that jams sometimes is still not fixed??

Advice to Management

No advice at this time. We'll need to see what changes are brought on by the new CEO and then I might have something to add, but my outlook is optimistic.

If you don't like working... then this is the place for you!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were lots of perks at the office and it was a very high paying for the position

Cons

The management is absolutely terrible -- they have no management skills whatsoever. One of the big reasons the managers here are terrible is because they are simply the low-skilled people who were hired when the company was small, and even though they were terrible at their jobs, they were promoted... The people are very fake. HR doesn't even care why you leave. The job is a complete joke, you get a paid a lot to sit around, eat food, and do nothing. OH and to help you kill the time, you take "classes" HAH. If you enjoy not working, then this is the perfect place for you. If you want to grow in your field and become great at what you do, avoid this place like it's the plague.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be a manager.

Going downhill

Pros

Not much. Perks are not bad. Nothing special, though.

Cons

No good management. They bring a new priority and goals like every three months. That's probably OK but they forget what we focused on before. There is no consistency. Our focus was to improve quality in 2014, I thought, but there was no real improvement but adding stupid new features like Work Chat. With all good chat products like Slack, who use a poor message platform? I think they forgot their core competence and start trying to build an empire. Totally opposite from collaboration. I also heard that they fired some employees who did actual jobs at the beginning of 2015, while some useless executives stayed (and still stay). They keep hiring not so capable VPs/Directors who don't have any start-up mind and use so much resource and money. "too many captains will steer the ship up a mountain" is totally true at this company. I have worked for many companies but I have never seen a company who is going downhill this fast. Feel so bad for the smart people who still work there.

Advice to Management

Fire all manager-and-up people who cannot manage.

7. Great startup if you want to learn how to grow a company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

I've been working at Evernote for over a year and mostly love that each person here can be part of turning a startup into a real enterprise company. * Every person in the company is tasked with improving our products: from testing to reporting improvement ideas to our product managers * With millions of users, I find it exciting to think how big of an impact my work has * As we move towards being a viable enterprise, we're challenged to think strategically with everything we do. Which of the dozens of things I do right now can have the largest impact?

Cons

* The workload here is sane, but only if you focus on the few highest-performing tasks you can do. There's little time for "play". * Project organization is a little ad-hoc. Teams are still growing and changing so there's no easy way to figure out who signs off on, or should be included for input, on any given project. Sometimes things are a week from launch and someone who's a key stakeholder hasn't even been made aware of the new features.

Advice to Management

Reward and encourage leadership, community-building, and collaboration. Love the company events we've been having- beer Fridays, Hawaiian night, Mardi Gras, etc but we need more family-friendly events.

Overall Ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Ambassador in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Ambassador in Zürich (Switzerland)

I worked at Evernote (More than a year)

Pros

The best pro I had was working remotely from home and my closest colleagues were awesome. For the rest, I didn't know much the company other than that.

Cons

I frankly did not like the way certain people management issues were handled. Other than that as a remote employee I do not have much of an opinion.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ridiculously amazing food. Lunches are catered. Monday through Wednesday has rock solid food that ranges from great to amazing. Thursday and Friday is catered by the same company every week and the food ranges from mediocre to good. Baked goods on Tuesday and Thursday and a happy hour every Friday. - Solid product. Evernote is used by millions of people all over the world. It's great to work on a product that so many people love and count on. - Great coworkers. Generally, my interactions with most people here are very positive; I wouldn't mind hanging out with Evernoters on the weekend. - Good work/life balance. People come in at a reasonable hour and leave at reasonable times. Yes, there are the occasional crunches, but it's very rare for me to work more than 50 hours in a week. - Good engineering. I can imagine it varies from team to team, but the team I'm on has a solid codebase. Code is reviewed, unit tests run, and automation tests run. My team members are solid engineers, which helps me become a better engineer. - Great location. If you don't want to commute into the city, Evernote is great since it's located in Redwood City right off of 101. If you do commute, there is a shuttle from the city and/or you can get a GoPass so you can ride for free on CalTrain. It's a 15 minute walk from the Redwood City station.

Cons

- Very easy to put on a lot of weight. - Some nice perks have been eliminated since I began. Namely, housecleaning and the electric car subsidy (people already on the subsidy would continue to receive it). - There is a gym on-site but it's not really well-equipped. There are a few treadmills, elliptical machines, dumbbells, and a smith machine, but no power rack. A gym subsidy would be nice.

Exciting Company

I have been working at Evernote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting product with a group of smart, helpful, professional and great individuals. I enjoy the work and believe the product will go far.

Cons

As a start-up growing up, the resources and departments are slim so you wear many hats and take on multiple projects (fun but lots of work). The plus to that is that you get lots of experience, but having priorities in order is critical.

Advice to Management

Communicate the plans for supporting the growth with the people and department development to go along with the goals for growth.

I love my job, but I'm not sure of the future of Evernote

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So, this is the second time Glassdoor reviews have been mentioned in our weekly all hands meetings. I don't necessarily think that all Glassdoor reviews are from pissed off former employees. I'm still a current employee, and while I love my job, I'm not certain on the future of Evernote. I would say the only pro is my co workers.

Cons

-When I was hired on I was told about all the great benefits, but then after being hired I'm told that the biggest and baddest benefits are only for salary employees. Now, I'm told gym reimbursement is being taken away because we have access to a 24 hour gym at our new office. However, the gym only runs AC between 7am-7pm. What about those of us that have school in the morning and work evening shifts at Evernote? I would not want to be using a gym with no AC and barely any equipment versus that of a full sized gym. I feel like Evernote is cutting costs in any way they can. I have a gym I pay for a block away from my house that Evernote used to reimburse me for. I don't wanna drive the commute to work to use a mediocre gym. This is a terrible idea. - Evernote needs to fix everything it has on its plate BEFORE releasing new features and pricing tiers. I can't even begin to explain the amount of features and everything that breaks when something new is pushed out. - Work/Life Balance. Nope. Not here.

RSS Feed </> Embed