Eversheds Reviews

Updated June 24, 2014

4.0

Bryan G. Hughes

Eversheds LLP

Former Employee - Facilities Manager  in  Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at Eversheds full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Eversheds was one of the best companies I've ever worked for. I saw it from it's early years of a single office law firm and quickly grow into a national and international law firm, the Partners were a joy to work with and the general staff made and gave the place a genuine enthusiastic atmosphere. I learned most of my skillset whilst employed with the firm and although the hours were long I thrived on the challenges each day brought

Cons

There have been huge changes in the legal worls and it's difficult for any firm to remain competative, as a result redundancies have happened over the years and although necessary in times of hardship, they do send out a negative message which some companies struggle to come back from.

Keep Health & Safety and Training in-house as much as possible. Companies are easily duped by so called H&S professionals offering training and advice when this can easily be performed in-house by training the right staff to the necessafry level. A lesson I learned the hard way.

A caring company

Current Employee - Document Production  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Document Production in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Eversheds full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I work with are amazing. I look forward to coming in everyday because of them.

Cons

Tight deadlines are always tricky. That's probably the toughest aspect of the job.

I think there just needs to be a bit more consistency with training requirements.

I love working at Eversheds

Former Employee - Credit Controller  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Credit Controller in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Eversheds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are friendly. The company encourages progression. The pay is good.

Cons

Very busy environment. Challenging when dealing with fee earners. I worked in finance which was a challenge in its self.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Longest employer

I worked at Eversheds full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoyed working here for 10 years

Cons

Horrible manager, snooty, looked down nose

Eversheds for non-lawyers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Eversheds full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can't think of any pros for non-legal professionals. Don't bother working for this firm if you are not a lawyer. Can't comment on the situation for lawyers.

Cons

- However great you are as a professional in your chosen field: Finance, HR, IT, Marketing etc, your work will not be significant or noticeable if you aren't a lawyer because nobody cares
    - Everyone has serious issues with attitude and overinflated egos and that starts very much as soon as you walk through the door. Just take a look at the reception staff in the London office. It's almost like they were trained to recognise partners from non-partners and if you aren't a partner, you won't get a smile or a hello in the morning. Partners of the firm, take a note. That's not a great reflection on your firm for prospective clients.
    - Senior management in areas outside of legal practice groups have overinflated titles and egos to match too, which means you need to be careful when you apply for a role because when you get there, you role is highly unlikely to meet your expectations
    - Low level of competence among non-legal staff
    - Lack of strategic focus in all non-legal areas
    - Organisation isn't large but very resistant to change and extremely bureaucratic
    - Overall a nasty culture that doesn't respect any professionals outside of law. Avoid like a plague

- serious changes are needed to the organisational culture
    - revisit the way shared services organisation (HR, Marketing, Facilities etc) is designed and managed; the firm is very top heavy
    - force reception staff to smile; they are after all there to give the very first impressions to your customers

Committed to innovation, open to ideas

I have been working at Eversheds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good leadership, open communication, no hierachy barriers. Great lawyers and international scope. A-class list of clients

Cons

If you want somewhere in a traditional law firm environment - this isn't the place. Commercial acumen goes hand in hand with legal knowledge. This is a firm that is always striving to improve and do things better than before, be prepared to up your game.

Good place to work and for career

Current Employee - Counsel
    Current Employee - Counsel

I have been working at Eversheds

Pros

pay is good for a UK firm

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement in firm

Fine

I worked at Eversheds

Pros

When I first started the people were nice. Lots of restructuring meant that the team was radically changed and the close knit feeling was gone.

Cons

I was sent on secondment for the last year I worked there. They got rid of my group and if I hadn't quit I would have been laid off.

My friends who remain say that it is a very different place to work now, and not in a good way.

Worked for Eversheds? Contribute to the Community!