Everyday Health Reviews

Reset
2.6
Everyday Health Co-Founder & CEO Benjamin Wolin
Benjamin Wolin

Pros
  • Unlimited PTO days but they don't allow you to take them (in 13 reviews)

• Free fruit in the morning as well as coffee, tea (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • you have to create a work life balance - if you don't push back, work will quickly take over (weekends, nights (in 5 reviews)

• Work from home was strictly enforced, no forward movement for some and low salaries (in 3 reviews)

1. Developers are rebranded Engineers

I worked at Everyday Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fresh fruit is available daily, along with an industrial coffee machine and cold brew (coffee) taps.
    Multiple teams of intelligent people working toward a common goal provides opportunities for collaboration, learning, and innovation.
    Peers are approachable and often willing to help out or just talk things out.

Cons

Many policies from team leadership seem made from a fear.
    While encouraged to take time off, the process involves managers attempting to negotiate less time.
    Having input on the design of a project (on the web).

Advice to Management

Focus on people and far less on deadlines.

Data sciences

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No vacation time limit
    Fruit
    Flexible and fast paced in a highly lucrative location
    Use of data and analytics and a data driven culture

Cons

Better use newer health technologies in a highly evolving space
    Need to focus on providing better clarity to employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation

3. No Direction. No Training.

I have been working at Everyday Health

Pros

Free fruit and cereal.
    Coffee machines.
    Neighborhood.

Cons

Very "clicky". Many unfriendly people. No training offered. No direction. Boring days. Unsure of what your actual job is.

Advice to Management

Train people. Encourage knowledge-sharing.

Evolving Company

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday Health is going through a lot of change -- but change for the good. The company has brought in a fresh bunch of new executives who seem to be working hard to make things better. They don't always get it right -- who does -- but I think it will continue to be a great place to be in the future.

Cons

Not always clear who is responsible for what. Some departments need to be better at working together.

Advice to Management

If you follow through on the changes you want to make, this will be a great place.

6. Great Place to Start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Adams, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Adams, MA

I worked at Everyday Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company gave me all the knowledge I needed to start a career. I received the proper training I needed to advance my career.

Cons

Growth within the company is questionable at times.

Advice to Management

Grow your internal talent.

Paid decently, treated terribly. Impossibly stressful.

I worked at Everyday Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salaries, good healthcare with well subsidized premiums, FSA, 401K. Unlimited paid time off with managerial approval (see caveats in the 'cons' section). Six different coffee machines -two serve iced coffee, one serves starbucks fresh ground. Fresh fruit in the morning. Some social activities like Toastmaster's and sporting events. The new President seems to be an extremely strong, effective and personable leader who is trying to implement some really positive cultural changes, and if he succeeds in his (very ambitious) endeavors, the company culture could improve considerably. Great place to get experience - for me this was a "bootcamp" of sorts, and I gained a lot of skills under my belt in a short period of time - I was far more competent at my job when I left than I was a year and a half prior.

Cons

When I was hired I asked about overtime and my supervisor told me "we frown upon overtime. If you're putting in overtime, that means something is wrong." What that really means is "if you're putting in overtime, you need to learn to work faster, because these deadlines are set in stone, and you will be publicly punished if those deadlines are not met. The last time I worked this hard I was going to school full time, working full time, and commuting an hour and a half - I became so stressed my health started affecting me. In fact everyone on my team suffered from some sort of chronic problem that caused them to miss work - problems that lasted for months, and i firmly believe it's the stress that does it. Everyone habitually puts in 50 and 60 hour workweeks. My coworkers have been here till 1 in the morning every night for a week straight. Last fall I pulled two 100-hour workweeks in a row. I pulled all-nighters. You can't pay me enough to work all nighters, this isn't wall street and this is NOT what I signed up for or in the job description.

Upper management will tell you to take advantage of the paid time off policy. They'll tell you to take at least three weeks off, they'll insist on it. That's because they know they're working you so hard that if you don't take that time off, you'll snap. Time off needs to be arranged at least six months in advance, and often won't be approved for many months or will be forgotten about by management - one manager will actively postpone approving time off until the day before the vacation! Managers will also use your time off against you - if you request two weeks in summer they might say "well what about winter? you'll want another week then, and you might want another week around thanksgiving. That's a lot. I don't know if we can approve this." - which is total nonsense. A very large percentage of the workforce here is Indian and a lot of Indians take an entire month off to visit their families every year, and they aren't penalized. So the PTO is highly subjective and dependent on your manager, and it's an exhausting dance to try and actually snag some time off.

Bosses rule through fear and coersion. They believe in public humiliation and chastisement. Micromanagement is happily tolerated. They all back each other up - abuses against developers from lower level management are treated like the norm because higher management lets lower management do anything they need to do in order to hit their numbers. They'll turn a blind eye to anything if it means they get to tell their immediate supervisor that all is well. And the worst part is this behavior is actively encouraged - I've seen senior developers learning how to bully their teammates just like the bosses, and these people are being groomed to be the next generation of management at EH. It's sickening.

This company couldn't care less about health. This is not a health company. It is an advertising company. But the rhetoric coming out of the CEO's mouth all day, every day is that we're "helping people", and that rhetoric makes people very angry. The CEO is desperately out of touch with his own culture. And he's the start of the problem. He walked past my desk every day for a year and a half and still doesn't know my name or what I did at his company - many others have reported similar treatment. He doesn't care how top level management hits their numbers, he only cares that they do. There is no accountability, no sense of social responsibility, everyone is obsessed with the ends and will justify any means necessary to reach those ends. Everyone I know I spoke to in the weeks before I left, at least 25 people from all different departments, were burned out and miserable, and many of them confessed they were job hunting as well - even people I thought were happy here. There is no sense of camaraderie, of teamwork, or making a difference. Every now and then after a big project the boss will take the team out to lunch, or bowling, and they think these gestures make up for the fact that they've belittled, humiliated, and intimidated you for months.

Nasty politics between teams at the managerial level. Developers have been instructed to lie to each other because one boss wanted to take credit for a project that had been developed by a different team!!!

If you want to work for this company, do it for the paycheck and for the experience - get in, and get out, and for the love of god, maintain a thick skin. Don't get too comfortable and don't trust management. If you're someone who wants to help people, wants to feel valued and respected, if you're an idealist, if you want a work / life balance, or have any kind of health problem, avoid this place like the plague.

Advice to Management

Employees are sick of the culture of fear that every manager in this company propagates from the top down. It starts with the CEO and the seniors - are we going to hit out numbers? can we make our deadlines? - and with each link further down the chain of command, the fear intensifies, until the people at the bottom are suffocating under it. If you want to motivate us, don't take us bowling - give us sincere, individual and public praise for our work. Respect and trust us - you wouldn't be paying us good money if we weren't valuable to your team. Admit when you're wrong. STOP LETTING THE SALES TEAM RUN AMOK. Don't let them choose your deadlines for you! Don't let them make multi-million dollar deals without consulting you first! Start making better time estimates and don't work your employees to death. Commit to fewer projects so that you can improve the quality and allow room for errors. Lower level management is probably lying to their superiors when they say they can hit their deadlines - 75% of the developers are putting in overtime. That means the lower level management agreed to do too much and the developers are paying for it. Don't forget that the insanely high turnover at this company is immensely expensive - if you treat people well it WILL be profitable. Take the president's advice!!!

Confusion

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- free fruits / occasional breakfast
    - generous PTO (depends on your manager)
    - work-from-home (again depends on your manager)
    - great benefits (health insurance, matching 401k)
    - handful of good talent

Cons

- in the last 3 years, one big problem is the inability to establish a long-term vision. There were a lot of executive and upper manager hiring. Every 6 months or so, the focus changes. Old and new managers cannot get their act together. The result is lack of continuity in initiatives. Lack of continuity => lack of business expansion / company growth => lack of employee growth => high attrition rate.
    - lack of employee recognition. Management send emails about how good a job everyone is doing or how we are "changing lives", but they don't address real employee concerns. They have started this new feedback process because a lot of people have left for the past 3 years.
    - not a lot of inspiring leaders. Most of them just care about deadlines and dollars.
    - tech initiatives are reactionary
    - the appraisal process is broken. It doesn't matter how really well you've performed if the "good performers" slots have been filled for the year. You're considered a level below it.

Advice to Management

Please invest and take care of the people who do the actual work. Get rid of incompetent managers. Hopefully, there's something to come out from the new feedback process.

Overworked, Undervalued

I worked at Everyday Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have the potential to learn a lot because of the overwhelming workload. There's also free fruit and the great office location, and a few truly talented and authentic folks, but not much else.

Cons

Unhealthy work culture does not promote team members to support one another, so employees often work in silos and morale is quite low. Potential for growth is also extremely limited. Turnover is unbelievably high -- either by choice or not.

Advice to Management

With so much invested in the company, now's the time to really establish a clear identity of what the company is and the mission and vision that go along with it and then stick with this plan. Changes can be good, but too many of them that lack reason or rationale or cause confusion is only going to impede progress. And that means losing talent that otherwise could help the company move forward and upward.

Account Manager

I have been working at Everyday Health

Pros

soda machine is cheap and thats nice

Cons

my director has no idea what leadership is and its hard to watch the treatment of colleagues

Advice to Management

take a survey to get REAL feedback about your management

Should be a great Company......

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Everyday Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location
    Fruit and free coffee
    benefits
    401k match

Cons

The worst Management on the planet. The Managers are rude and entitled. You have to report to people who have jobs because of who they know not any real skill or education. The Upper Management is vapid and insular. They are use to being a private company and getting away with horrible business practices.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for the lives of people. Hire people who can inspire others, not just friends.

RSS Feed </> Embed