Everyday Health Reviews

Reset
2.6
Everyday Health Co-Founder & CEO Benjamin Wolin
Benjamin Wolin

Pros
  • Unlimited PTO days but they don't allow you to take them (in 13 reviews)

• Free fruit in the morning as well as coffee, tea (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • you have to create a work life balance - if you don't push back, work will quickly take over (weekends, nights (in 5 reviews)

• Work from home was strictly enforced, no forward movement for some and low salaries (in 3 reviews)

1. Amazing Company Culture

I worked at Everyday Health

Pros

Amazing company culture with lots of support, benefits, and fun perks. Employees are encouraged to share new ideas, and the company often hosts fun health initiatives with team prizes.

Cons

The websites tend to grow based on current trends, so if something doesn't work out, those new and exciting jobs are often cut first.

vp

I have been working at Everyday Health

Pros

Real growth potential in terms of the future of the company

Cons

Management seems conflicted at times with no real direction

Advice to Management

Communicate your direction to make it transparent to the rest of the organization

Developers are rebranded Engineers

Former Employee - Front End Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Everyday Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fresh fruit is available daily, along with an industrial coffee machine and cold brew (coffee) taps. Multiple teams of intelligent people working toward a common goal provides opportunities for collaboration, learning, and innovation. Peers are approachable and often willing to help out or just talk things out.

Cons

Many policies from team leadership seem made from a fear. While encouraged to take time off, the process involves managers attempting to negotiate less time. Having input on the design of a project (on the web).

Advice to Management

Focus on people and far less on deadlines.

Data sciences

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No vacation time limit Fruit Flexible and fast paced in a highly lucrative location Use of data and analytics and a data driven culture

Cons

Better use newer health technologies in a highly evolving space Need to focus on providing better clarity to employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation

No Direction. No Training.

I have been working at Everyday Health

Pros

Free fruit and cereal. Coffee machines. Neighborhood.

Cons

Very "clicky". Many unfriendly people. No training offered. No direction. Boring days. Unsure of what your actual job is.

Advice to Management

Train people. Encourage knowledge-sharing.

7. Chaos is the norm

I worked at Everyday Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits, fruit. It seems to come down to the fruit

Cons

Chaos is constant. No business acumen.

Zero direction

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Everyday Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free fruit, good coffee, good pay. The design and location of the office are very cool. It's a young environment, so there are lots of opportunities to make good friends.

Cons

Where do I start? The first day on the job, I went to a morning meeting and then was told to "settle in," then my boss never spoke to me for the rest of the week. Regardless, I pitched things to do each day that week for the group meeting, but it never received a response. I got zero direction or training. I actually didn't know what my job was the entire time I was there. The bathrooms don't lock. A colleague walked in on me while I was peeing. That led to a lot of awkwardness. Fix the locks. I've worked for top publishing companies and know how to pitch and write stories. You have to know the audience you're writing for and their interests. I came into the job asking for those basics, and they weren't given to me. When I came up with ideas anyway, there was no editorial feedback. The job of an editor is to provide shape and critiquing, and there none of either. For a publishing company, it was shocking there weren't even phones at the desks. And my cell phone didn't get service in the building. If they're trying to create a communications company, shouldn't a means of communication be a basic requirement? When asked about this, management put in a request but nothing was ever done. The work/life balance made zero sense. People were in at 6 a.m. and out at 7 p.m. That would make sense if there were that much to do, but this schedule was mostly born out of management not knowing how a news site should function. Breaking news about celebrity health conditions do not warrant such long hours, and it should be common sense that no one comes to the site for that. They go to People.

Advice to Management

Everyday Health calls itself ESPN for health. However, that makes no sense. People don't follow health news like they do their favorite team.

Evolving Company

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday Health is going through a lot of change -- but change for the good. The company has brought in a fresh bunch of new executives who seem to be working hard to make things better. They don't always get it right -- who does -- but I think it will continue to be a great place to be in the future.

Cons

Not always clear who is responsible for what. Some departments need to be better at working together.

Advice to Management

If you follow through on the changes you want to make, this will be a great place.

Paid decently, treated terribly. Impossibly stressful.

Former Employee - Front End Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Everyday Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salaries, good healthcare with well subsidized premiums, FSA, 401K. Unlimited paid time off with managerial approval (see caveats in the 'cons' section). Six different coffee machines -two serve iced coffee, one serves starbucks fresh ground. Fresh fruit in the morning. Some social activities like Toastmaster's and sporting events. The new President seems to be an extremely strong, effective and personable leader who is trying to implement some really positive cultural changes, and if he succeeds in his (very ambitious) endeavors, the company culture could improve considerably. Great place to get experience - for me this was a "bootcamp" of sorts, and I gained a lot of skills under my belt in a short period of time - I was far more competent at my job when I left than I was a year and a half prior.

Cons

When I was hired I asked about overtime and my supervisor told me "we frown upon overtime. If you're putting in overtime, that means something is wrong." What that really means is "if you're putting in overtime, you need to learn to work faster, because these deadlines are set in stone, and you will be publicly punished if those deadlines are not met. The last time I worked this hard I was going to school full time, working full time, and commuting an hour and a half - I became so stressed my health started affecting me. In fact everyone on my team suffered from some sort of chronic problem that caused them to miss work - problems that lasted for months, and i firmly believe it's the stress that does it. Everyone habitually puts in 50 and 60 hour workweeks. My coworkers have been here till 1 in the morning every night for a week straight. Last fall I pulled two 100-hour workweeks in a row. I pulled all-nighters. You can't pay me enough to work all nighters, this isn't wall street and this is NOT what I signed up for or in the job description. Upper management will tell you to take advantage of the paid time off policy. They'll tell you to take at least three weeks off, they'll insist on it. That's because they know they're working you so hard that if you don't take that time off, you'll snap. Time off needs to be arranged at least six months in advance, and often won't be approved for many months or will be forgotten about by management - one manager will actively postpone approving time off until the day before the vacation! Managers will also use your time off against you - if you request two weeks in summer they might say "well what about winter? you'll want another week then, and you might want another week around thanksgiving. That's a lot. I don't know if we can approve this." - which is total nonsense. A very large percentage of the workforce here is Indian and a lot of Indians take an entire month off to visit their families every year, and they aren't penalized. So the PTO is highly subjective and dependent on your manager, and it's an exhausting dance to try and actually snag some time off. Bosses rule through fear and coersion. They believe in public humiliation and chastisement. Micromanagement is happily tolerated. They all back each other up - abuses against developers from lower level management are treated like the norm because higher management lets lower management do anything they need to do in order to hit their numbers. They'll turn a blind eye to anything if it means they get to tell their immediate supervisor that all is well. And the worst part is this behavior is actively encouraged - I've seen senior developers learning how to bully their teammates just like the bosses, and these people are being groomed to be the next generation of management at EH. It's sickening. This company couldn't care less about health. This is not a health company. It is an advertising company. But the rhetoric coming out of the CEO's mouth all day, every day is that we're "helping people", and that rhetoric makes people very angry. The CEO is desperately out of touch with his own culture. And he's the start of the problem. He walked past my desk every day for a year and a half and still doesn't know my name or what I did at his company - many others have reported similar treatment. He doesn't care how top level management hits their numbers, he only cares that they do. There is no accountability, no sense of social responsibility, everyone is obsessed with the ends and will justify any means necessary to reach those ends. Everyone I know I spoke to in the weeks before I left, at least 25 people from all different departments, were burned out and miserable, and many of them confessed they were job hunting as well - even people I thought were happy here. There is no sense of camaraderie, of teamwork, or making a difference. Every now and then after a big project the boss will take the team out to lunch, or bowling, and they think these gestures make up for the fact that they've belittled, humiliated, and intimidated you for months. Nasty politics between teams at the managerial level. Developers have been instructed to lie to each other because one boss wanted to take credit for a project that had been developed by a different team!!! If you want to work for this company, do it for the paycheck and for the experience - get in, and get out, and for the love of god, maintain a thick skin. Don't get too comfortable and don't trust management. If you're someone who wants to help people, wants to feel valued and respected, if you're an idealist, if you want a work / life balance, or have any kind of health problem, avoid this place like the plague.

Advice to Management

Employees are sick of the culture of fear that every manager in this company propagates from the top down. It starts with the CEO and the seniors - are we going to hit out numbers? can we make our deadlines? - and with each link further down the chain of command, the fear intensifies, until the people at the bottom are suffocating under it. If you want to motivate us, don't take us bowling - give us sincere, individual and public praise for our work. Respect and trust us - you wouldn't be paying us good money if we weren't valuable to your team. Admit when you're wrong. STOP LETTING THE SALES TEAM RUN AMOK. Don't let them choose your deadlines for you! Don't let them make multi-million dollar deals without consulting you first! Start making better time estimates and don't work your employees to death. Commit to fewer projects so that you can improve the quality and allow room for errors. Lower level management is probably lying to their superiors when they say they can hit their deadlines - 75% of the developers are putting in overtime. That means the lower level management agreed to do too much and the developers are paying for it. Don't forget that the insanely high turnover at this company is immensely expensive - if you treat people well it WILL be profitable. Take the president's advice!!!

11. Great Place to Start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Adams, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Adams, MA

I worked at Everyday Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company gave me all the knowledge I needed to start a career. I received the proper training I needed to advance my career.

Cons

Growth within the company is questionable at times.

Advice to Management

Grow your internal talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed