Everyday Health

Updated September 4, 2014
2.7

Everyday Health Co-Founder & CEO Benjamin Wolin
Benjamin Wolin

Pros
  • Unlimited PTO days but they don't allow you to take them (in 13 reviews)

• Good work culture and work life balance is ensured (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (projects keep coming w/o a plan to hire more resources) (in 5 reviews)

• For instance, some groups have unlimited PTO, others actually do not (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Everyday Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

-room for growth
    -promote from within
    -good benefits
    -sense of community

Cons

-tendency to hire upper management and fails to onboard, leaving the teams under the new managers in a position where they are training those above them
    -while benefits are good, there is no bonus structure outside of sales and salary is not competitive
    -you have to create a work life balance - if you don't push back, work will quickly take over (weekends, nights...)

Take the time to reward good employees instead of playing into bratty behavior. Streamline onboarding processes. Give your employees the tools they need to succeed on their own.

No salary paid for 3+ months, looks like the company about to fall down.

Current Employee - Senior Editor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Interview process is easy, just in one hour F2F.

Cons

My consulting company paid me for first 4 months irrespective of getting funds from the company - "Everyday Health". Later they said it's been 4 months paying out of their pockets, so if I can be paid part of my salary and full when the company pays them. It's been 13 weeks the company never paid anything, getting tough time getting full salary on-time. I try to understand but the projects are all going to offshore, so feeling nervous.

Please Don't hire if you can't pay.

Management is one sided, HR is just a placeholder.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

IPO company without IPO standards.

Cons

No corporate culture, infra is not great too.
    Managers are very very unprofessional, they take abusive words and satirical looks as the tools to drive, sometimes behave very egoistic.
    If there's more work they will employ an other manager, they always think that pressuring the employees will make more productive.
    Very few managers are fantastic, rest are all very tough to work with. Tight deadlines, they save money at every level,
    Hirings and firings doesn't matter to them, while firing they wouldn't feel ethical to give a notice of a single day, they try to save on employee's notice period time as well.
    More work goes to offshore, and work wise same tools across multiple sites so just the recurring projects, copy paste kind of; nothing new challenging work. They compromise on quality over quantity/deliverable.

Topmost management should keep an eye what their managers are doing to accomplish the things and how they are dealing with their subordinates, if injustice done, they should come forward to help at every level. Staying silent means they support unprofessional behaviour of their peers and hence need to be accountable for.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young and enthusiastic company, good values, great benefits and work-life balance, stock options, most managers are very lax and not micro-managers

Cons

Not easy to get ahead (yearly reviews make it hard to move up no matter how hard you've worked), lax environment and unlimited PTO leads to a lot of employees taking advantage, a lot of rewards and bonuses issued to sales, but little to nothing for sales support

Reward your employees for a job well done and offer more feedback to grow

worst company ever, no job security

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

apples, bananas, oranges available for the breakfast time.

Cons

unlimited vacation is a scam, that way they avoid paying for the unused days when an employee leaves / when they layoff. Layoffs are quiet common here that every week we hear about them, they don't feel ethical to announce it on the same day without any notice or notice-period and the next day they're jobless and no severence benefits or anything like that, none of their teams will be reachable from then on. DOL needs to put a complete audit on them, they never pay extra hours either and send lot of work to offshore, and hire more immigrants mostly whoever can come for very cheap.

Please be ethical and don't play with employees lives.

No good work env, ppl r very unprofessional

I have been working at Everyday Health as a contractor

Pros

Free fruits in the kitchen : ofcourse you rarely get time to eat them though!

Cons

No new products which bring business

Good....gone bad

I have been working at Everyday Health

Pros

Unlimited PTO (if they approve it)
    Emphasis on health and wellness
    Dynamic environment

Cons

What good is unlimited PTO when management doesn't guilt trip you into it.
    Sure there's emphasis on health and wellness, take all the time you need work out and see doctors....except between the hours of 8-6 M-F and not impact your work (say one thing, do something different).
    Yes it's a lively and dynamic environment but there is no future there. Senior management is paying themselves a boat load of money and hiring fresh college graduates to basically put their own spin today's hot story. In the three years I've been there, there have been NO RAISES for most of the staff.

And for a tech company, you have got to be kidding me.
    Outages constantly, an IT department of maybe 10 (remember this is a internet website content company and only 10-15 people TOTAL in IT), antiquated equipment (they refuse to buy so they looked good for the IPO), THE senior IT manager that can't manage (half of his best staff has quit since I've been here....rats off a sinking ship) and no solid review process (you should see the bugs we have to explain away to potential advertisers).

I will be departing at the end of the year.
    I wanted to stay but executive management's focus on the IPO and how much they would make has led me to believe that all they want to do now is sell the company to a WebMD or someone, cash out and leave us suckers holding the bag.

Finally, if you plan on advancing upward in this company, forget about it. There's nowhere to advance to.
    Senior management are entrenched and aren't going anywhere until they sell the company.

Invest in your tech, what kind of tech company has shoddy technology?
    Executive management needs to stop investing in themselves and hire experienced people. The gap between experienced and fresh out of college kids is just too stark.
    We can all see this is a company positioned to be sold and executive management cash out. That doesn't bode well for a staff that has the feeling the company can be sold and they are jobless and stockless.
    Treat and retain the good people you have or the revolving door is going to fall off of it's spindle!

Good place to learn.

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited vacation. Fresh fruit every morning. Occasional pizza lunches. Nice location in the West Village. Most people are genuinely nice.

Cons

The usual problems in a big company. Some managers are nasty and unfair. Some rules are applied unfairly or inconsistently. Open plan office makes it impossible to concentrate without wearing sound-canceling headphones. Too many people in too little space.

Get rid of the open plan office layout.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Everyday Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

it has its perks like fresh fruit in the morning, and coffee/hot chocolate/teas. the company also does great things like plan community service events and activities that promote healthy competition.

Cons

some cons are its big open office layout. it can be distracting to your work especially when you can hear and see what everyone around you is doing

Good for a transition job

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Everyday Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Large IT group/product group. Reasonably good at quickly taking new digital products to market. Good experience for a mid-level software engineer.

Cons

Not a people centered company! It is sync or swim with very little on boarding. Salaries are below industry averages and as a result turn-over is super high. Almost impossible to keep a team together for over a year. Very cramped working conditions.

Everyday Health Photos

Worked for Everyday Health? Contribute to the Community!