Evolent Health Reviews

71 reviews filtered by
4.5
Evolent Health CEO Frank Williams
Frank Williams

Pros
  • They take their work seriously, but also their work-life balance seriously (in 6 reviews)

• You get the opportunity to work with truly talented and smart people in your field that work hard and have fun together too (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This company talks a lot about work/life balance, but doesn't practice what they preach (in 7 reviews)

• The organization has grown really quickly and with that has come some minor growing pains (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Hard work, Smart and dedicated people who believe in the mission of improving health care

Current Employee - Director, Information Technology in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director, Information Technology in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where to start? Smart people. Dynamic, fast-paced work environment where there is always something new to learn and someone new to meet.

Problems actually get solved here, and you can have a hand in solving them. See something you don't like? Change it--you have the power.

Leadership is outstanding--dedicated and knowledgeable.

Beautiful Arlington office that feels like Silicon Valley. Love the workout facilities and treadmill desks and standing desks and all of the support for living a healthy lifestyle.

The mission is a good one--I sleep well at night knowing that I'm working for an organization that is making health care fundamentally better.

We have great camraderie on the IT team. Pot-luck lunches and after-work get-togethers and always someone to eat lunch with. And we eat lunch every day, often walking out to the food trucks which congregate nearby.

Evolent Health is the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Because Evolent is a rapidly-growing (and therefore rapidly-changing) organization, it helps to be flexible and adaptable. People who want reams of written procedures and protocols in order to function may not excel in this environment, where those things are evolving but not yet completely established. I don't know anyone who hasn't put in some extra hours over the course of the last year, but on the flip side, I don't know anyone who couldn't take a break when they needed it either. But it is a demanding place to work.

Oh, and this is a land of many meetings. But there are active efforts to streamline and if you don't think you're needed in a meeting, you can say so.

Advice to Management

I really don't feel the need to share advice with management on Glassdoor. In the past, when I've had feedback for anyone on the leadership team, I just send them an e-mail and to date I've already received prompt and heart-felt responses. We are treated very well and with a great deal of respect.

2. Fast Paced, Engaged, Fostered Innovation

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time

Pros

Hard working, smart, trust worthy group of people. I am big on integrity and thus far I have not been disappointed. We are truly here to change the way healthcare is delivered in the US! Everyone is passionate and Type A so makes for a fun, engaging and fast paced environment. New hires go through a 30 day checklist and they really drive home the culture and expectations as being an Evolent Health employee

Cons

The amount of meetings is pretty crazy. It's truly a catch 22 because during meetings folks tend to multitask, type and work on other work while in these meetings. But because we meet so much, that's kind of the only time we can work on things... as a new employee it is very distracting to even see my manager doing this - is she listening? I am going to do my best and keep my computer at my desk... we'll see how that goes!

Advice to Management

Nothing to write here. Feel as though I can openly speak with management and they would really listen. I just hope they are listening during meetings that's all!

Apr 30, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are glad to hear you feel Evolent is living out our values. If you have any suggestions on how to make Evolent a better place to work ... More

3. An incredible place with potential for more....

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time

Pros

Strong, mission-based organization with a willingness to think different.
    Great colleagues who are inspiring to work with. They challenge me to be my best.
    Open work environment with an appreciation for different styles and approaches.
    Generally light on process and structure.
    Recognition and willingness of management that they can get better.
    Strong reward/benefit offering.

Cons

Still scaling. Lack of process/infrastructure can be frustrating at times. Opportunities remain to reduce duplication/wasted work.
    Big mission = intense periods of work. Company speaks to work/life balance but can do more to help people achieve personal balance.
    People new to managing can be challenging. Need greater focus on development.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the mission and continue efforts to support our growing team. Empower great leaders and continue to act on poor ones.

Apr 24, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are always willing to hear suggestions on ways Evolent can improve, so please feel free to share any thoughts or ideas you may have with our ... More

5. Mission-driven company with excellent employees

Current Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast-moving company. The work is challenging, but we are now seeing significant clinical results and an overwhelming shift in the market as a whole. It's extremely rewarding to be part of a team that is on the forefront of these changes. As a company, Evolent is committed to preserving its culture and supporting employee development, so especially for more junior employees, there are opportunities to explore other areas of the company and to receive support for your current career development and for your future beyond Evolent.

Cons

A flexible schedule is great if you keep control of it, but some managers don't respect "down time" as much as others. If you're motivated, there is significant opportunity for growth and to make a difference, but it can sometimes be overwhelming because there is SO much to do and we all want to pitch in and help.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with employees about opportunities, challenges and the company's future. Support managers and leaders at all levels by giving them the space necessary to lead others.

Apr 20, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are glad you feel Evolent is a challenging, yet rewarding place to work. We are always looking for ways to improve our culture and ... More

The company didn't gain my respect.

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time

Pros

- The company is generous with position titles, if this is something important to you.
    - Pay and benefits are on par with market rate, but not competitive by any means, especially considering how much work they expect you to do.
    - Sometimes you can find really knowledgeable, intelligent individuals within the firm.

Cons

Inexperienced, uncaring departmental leadership is the root cause of high turnover rate. Staff are expected to work late nights and weekends, as the managers don't mind at all assigning a list of tasks on a Friday afternoon and demand them to be done by Monday. Insane hours don't translate into an appropriate pay increase or bonus during year end review. Some managers' integrity is in doubt - willing to trade work quality for speed, regular blindsiding of staff with unilateral decisions, obvious favoritism and inconsistent standard for promotion. Department leaders don't care about employees' wellbeing and it is basically useless to communicate your concerns with them. If you take the next step to communicate with HR, your manager will likely put you on PIP and then fire you.

Advice to Management

Build a healthy work environment. Stop hiring politicians with no practical experience as managers.

7. Awesome opportunity with the pharmacy team!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Engagement Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Engagement Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Evolent Health

Pros

Working here is unlike any other place I have ever worked. The culture is vastly important to everyone I have encountered. The work is equally important and it shows in the intensity with which the employees, from the bottom to the top, attack the opportunities in front of us. I have only been with the company a little over a month, but I say US because I am already a part of the team. I am already embraced, and expected to do the work. And I love it. Getting the opportunity to work from home once I am trained, the opportunity to travel some for work, the opportunity to really have a say in the company, the opportunity to grow, all of these are huge pro's in my book.

Cons

I think that keeping the culture alive may be difficult as we continue to grow. However, I know that this is on the minds of everyone in the company, including the management. I know this because I get the chance, regularly, to speak to these people. I thin that because it is on everyone's minds, the culture will continue to be strongly focused on employee satisfaction as well as hard work and pushing the company forward.

Advice to Management

My only advice I can give is to keep it going. Keep up with the challenges that face any growing company. And I know that you are listening!

Apr 22, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We're happy that you're enjoying your work experience thus far and that our emphasis on a strong company culture resonates with you! We are ... More

Just so so but can be a good place to start

I worked at Evolent Health

Pros

Good culture. standard process. nice people there

Cons

unstable managing process, too much work

Advice to Management

be functional , have plan, as well as keep flexable

Mar 30, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve, so feel free to share any thoughts or suggestions you may have with our HR team at ... More

A company that walks the walk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health

Pros

More than anywhere I've worked, Evolent Health is absolutely serious about providing employees a positive experience. They solicit feedback from new hires about onboarding and they survey all employees twice a year with an engagement survey (which our leaders take very seriously).

There is also a lot of flexibility and the freedom to pitch new ideas. I think you can be more impactful here than you an at many other organizations, as we have less red tape.

I also love the focus on health and wellness - the treadmill desks, the healthy snacks, and the recent nutrition consultations.

Cons

You have to manage your workload, it can be easy to take on too much and get overwhelmed or to not focus on your most important priorities.

Advice to Management

As we grow, continue to push us to be nimble and adaptive.

Mar 11, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! Providing a positive employee experience for all employees is one of Evolent's top priorities, so we are glad to hear you feel we are doing a ... More

Very exciting company to work at, with exceptionally smart people.

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really strong team-focused culture, while maintaining opportunity for individual ownership and recognition. Strong mission that most are very dedicated to. As the company has grown, there is more standardization of practices and processes which has brought a (positive) level of predictability, while maintaining that start up mindset and encouraging entrepreneurship.

Cons

Work-live balance is sometimes difficult, and long stretches of overwork can interfere with morale. Company is focused on making this better, however.

Mar 4, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are happy to hear you feel Evolent is growing and progressing in the right direction. Work-life balance is very important to the company, so ... More

Indianapolis Pharmacy team is a joke!

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Evolent Health

Pros

That you can eventually work from home if they ever "train you." Pay is actually alright if you can wait it out till training.

Cons

Everything! you can only work from home if you don't have certification, they will only train you on their systems if you're not certified and you will not have the opportunity to use your skill set due to managements inferiority complex.

Advice to Management

You probably should have majored in business management or have a pharmacy background if you're gonna manage a team. Take some classes in diversity and discover the true meaning of "equal employment opportunity."

Mar 10, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

We take the employee experience seriously and want to be sure all employees, across all markets are having a positive experience. If you'd like to provide further feedback on your experience and what ... More