Evolent Health

Updated December 19, 2014
4.5

Evolent Health CEO Frank Williams
Frank Williams

Pros
  • They take their work seriously, but also their work-life balance seriously (in 6 reviews)

• You get the opportunity to work with truly talented and smart people in your field that work hard and have fun together too (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This company talks a lot about work/life balance, but doesn't practice what they preach (in 7 reviews)

• The organization has grown really quickly and with that has come some minor growing pains (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the Best companies I ever worked for!

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the Company for almost a year. By far, very impressed by the smart and creative people, and the open, collaborative culture. I feel like I can talk to anyone about anything, and they are always willing to help. Very dynamic and fast paced, and they made me feel a valued part of the company and the department. The people I work with and work for are really open, knowledgeable and helps me a lot day to day. I never feel like I am struggling with anything and cannot get to the answers, which is how I felt in my previous job with a bigger firm. Learned a lot both personally and professionally. Great mentors and leadership examples to follow, especially in the Finance/Accounting management team. A great place to further your career.

Also great healthy-habit building environment like the treadmill desks, standing desks, free healthy snacks, and free massages! The PTO policy is really good too

Cons

Things can get busy during the fast growth but I think that's the same everywhere, and management tends to balance it out with other flexibilities like working from home, etc.

Keep up the great work!

Dec 7, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback on Evolent! We are glad to hear that you feel as though you have the team support and help you need to accomplish your work successfully. We are ... More

Hang on and have fun

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time

Pros

Evolent is a company that has experienced a lot of growth over the last year and has really worked hard to keep it's culture and identity...it has. Being able to come into work and feel like what you do on a day to day basis makes a difference is unbelievable. It is one of the most fast paced, evolving work experiences I've had which is what makes it so interesting and fun. If I had to choose one thing that makes Evolent such an amazing place to work it would have to be the relationships you build here with your team, department and management.

Cons

The only real con I can think of is sometimes with how fast we are growing/evolving the communication from leadership can appear reactionary and be disbursed in larger groups. To have changes discussed with smaller teams, and allow for more of a discussion I think it will help people understand the "why" behind some decisions.

Creating something like a junior leadership team in departments I think would help, in our constantly changing environment. I think it's important to get feedback from those it is effecting, before it is implemented.

Dec 12, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time at Evolent! We also appreciate your suggestions on how to make Evolent a better place to work ... More

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The offices are newer and in a great location. Healthy snacks are provided, there are nice TV's in the kitchens (there are 3 kitchens), and great team/conference rooms. The culture here is that of a start-up, which means not everything is set in stone. You have the ability to be creative, forward thinking, and know that your ideas are taken into consideration and often used by management. The benefits are FANTASTIC and career growth potential is high. Working at Evolent is not the same mundane work I was used to, I actually enjoy working again!

Cons

It can get a bit stressful at times. It is a fast growing company and you often wear more than one hat. This is not a problem for me, but I know it can be for others.

Suggestion: More work from home time. This seems to be dictated by which Director you work for. I would like to see a WFH day every other Friday. This could be broken up by departments and staggered so that the office isn't completely empty every other Friday.

Advice: Keep doing what you are doing. They company is thriving and the culture is not being lost, even with the rapid growth.

Dec 11, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! At Evolent, culture comes first, so we are happy that this is something you value and enjoy about our company.

In order to strive for
    ... More

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never board. Exciting work. Awesome people. Very happy here.

Cons

With any start up, things can be very busy at times, but the people and the work make it worth it.

Dec 25, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are glad you are feel excited and happy about the work you are doing at Evolent. If you have any suggestions, thoughts or concerns to share ... More

Silicon Valley startup vibe with the benefit of east coast

Current Employee - Current Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immaculate office space, smart, hardworking and dynamic people, a mission to transform the healthcare industry. Great people to work with. I am able to create my own responsibilities and the people I work with are incredibly intelligent. It's like a family of dedicated folks working together. Feels the same cross all functions that I came across. Inspired!

Cons

Expectation is to perform and bring about results. If you're looking to coast, this is not a good place. The best rise to the top so get ready to work hard. If you are a rockstar definitely will get noticed very quickly.

As the company grows, don't lose the startup vibe. That's the exciting thing the people enjoy here!

Dec 7, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback! We are happy that you feel inspired by the mission and people of Evolent! It is our goal to ensure employees are empowered to create their own ... More

Great Company, Great Culture, and A Great Department--Finance (Accounting)

Current Employee - Accounting Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What a great company to work for! I consider myself lucky to be surrounded by such a group of wonderful and motivated individuals. I cannot emphasize how much I appreciated all the, continuous, motivations and inspirations I receive from my managers (from VP to Associate Director and Controller) of the amazing Finance department. Especially the controller, she is such a positive experience! her ambitious, hardworking with enthusiasm, go getter attitude while working tirelessly really motivates me to discipline myself more like her.

Cons

Company is growing rapidly so changes are made, almost, everyday. If you are not dedicated, hardworking, adaptable to changes, and if you do not believe in excellence in all, then Evolent Health is not your place because you will not last here for long.

Dec 8, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback! We are happy to hear that you are having such a positive team experience at Evolent and are glad you are being inspired and motivated by the ... More

Hard work, Smart and dedicated people who believe in the mission of improving health care

Current Employee - Director, Information Technology in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director, Information Technology in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Where to start? Smart people. Dynamic, fast-paced work environment where there is always something new to learn and someone new to meet.

Problems actually get solved here, and you can have a hand in solving them. See something you don't like? Change it--you have the power.

Leadership is outstanding--dedicated and knowledgeable.

Beautiful Arlington office that feels like Silicon Valley. Love the workout facilities and treadmill desks and standing desks and all of the support for living a healthy lifestyle.

The mission is a good one--I sleep well at night knowing that I'm working for an organization that is making health care fundamentally better.

We have great camraderie on the IT team. Pot-luck lunches and after-work get-togethers and always someone to eat lunch with. And we eat lunch every day, often walking out to the food trucks which congregate nearby.

Evolent Health is the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Because Evolent is a rapidly-growing (and therefore rapidly-changing) organization, it helps to be flexible and adaptable. People who want reams of written procedures and protocols in order to function may not excel in this environment, where those things are evolving but not yet completely established. I don't know anyone who hasn't put in some extra hours over the course of the last year, but on the flip side, I don't know anyone who couldn't take a break when they needed it either. But it is a demanding place to work.

Oh, and this is a land of many meetings. But there are active efforts to streamline and if you don't think you're needed in a meeting, you can say so.

I really don't feel the need to share advice with management on Glassdoor. In the past, when I've had feedback for anyone on the leadership team, I just send them an e-mail and to date I've already received prompt and heart-felt responses. We are treated very well and with a great deal of respect.

Great place to work, with a great mission!

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great company culture, and a fun place to work
    - Company with a Mission that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning
    - Open environment that empows people to make decisions

Cons

- Lots of growth, so you have to be able to manage change and be flexible and open to working with a little less structure than in most companies

Fast moving. Up and coming. Get on board or be left in the dust.

I have been working at Evolent Health (less than an year)

Pros

Healthcare is being transformed and you want to be part of it. This company is figuring it out...Pioneering Spirit is a company value. There is alot of opportunity and room to contribute knowledge, skills, and abilities. It is quite a melting pot of professionals from many different industries so you get to be exposed to lots of creative viewpoints and hear perspectives and ideas from all types. Having worked in the inpatient setting all my professional career (30 years), I am enjoying the challenge of figuring out a whole new approach to healthcare.

Cons

Being part of a young company is a a bit of a different animal and not for the faint-hearted. There is alot of ongoing problem-solving, ambiguity, and fits and starts in taming the healthcare transformation beast. Tenacity and a desire to help others experience a new health care keeps things in focus.

Help new employeew define Population Health Management - What we are doing, Why we are doing it, and How we are doing it. Help them quickly grasp their role in that.

"Working collectively with some of the most intelligent and caring people I have ever makes coming to work rewarding."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Evolent Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. The people
    2. The prominent culture
    3. The mission of the company is strongly felt among all

Cons

I do not have any to date.