Evolv

Evolv CEO Max Simkoff
Max Simkoff

ever-evolving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Evolv full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great executive team
    very cool product
    great pay

Cons

product is a bit ahead of its time- has a long sale-cycle
    sometimes unclear what the vision of the company is
    disconnect between departments

A lot of pivots and not many products

I worked at Evolv

Pros

A lot of smart people

Cons

Not much product direction constant pivoting

Awesome company!

I have been working at Evolv

Pros

Innovative product, location in SOMA

Cons

Limited training available to new employees

Great chance to learn

I have been working at Evolv full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Evolv presents a great opportunity to learn because management really fosters a culture of getting your feet wet in different areas. It offers a terrific work/life balance, including a solid work from home policy. Co workers are interesting, engaged and well educated.

Cons

The pay is low and there is a lot of the stuff that needs fixing (this is often where the opportunities for growth arise).

Start/Stop/Start

I have been working at Evolv full-time

Pros

Autonomy over work. Chance to contribute to the company, product and team from day one. Fantastic companies as clients. Interesting product re: workforce optimization & big data. Bright employees. Great office location. Good camaraderie among employees in office.

Cons

Poor product and management direction. Poor execution. Business model not 100% finalized/vetted out.

Improve sense of urgency. Continuity in personnel. Aligned vision across business units. Strength in hires. Quicker decisions.

Struggling Start-up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Evolv full-time

Pros

There are only two "Pros" of this company.
    1) The other "worker bees" that you get to work with and know. I have not met another group of intelligent, hard working, go-getters ever. They really care about each other and work hard together. If anything, I will miss my co-workers the most.
    2)You have the ability to work very closely with other departments and thus pick up new skill sets that you may not have the opportunity to learn if you were at a bigger company. But I feel that this is the status quo for any startup you join.

Cons

Where do I begin:

1) Lack of pay. THEY DO NOT PAY MARKET RATE! UNLESS you are in Sales. If you want to get paid 20-30% below market rate ,then by all means, go ahead and apply.

2)No sense of direction. The company has changed direction more times than anyone cares to remember.

3)No leadership. The CEO talks about "transparency" but hardly provides it. Think of him as a salesman/cheerleader, not much of a leader. The company only hears the good news and is left in the dark about the bad.

4)They used to have a "results-driven" approach to work and was very flexible with people and their schedules, allowing individuals to work from home when needed. Then suddenly they took that away and required everyone to be in the office at all times. Although I realize that the 9-5 Monday-Friday is the standard for most companies, its the fact that we were once given that level of trust/freedom and having it taken away(for no good reason) that I am rating it as a con. not to mention, it was nice to know that since I literally get paid 30% below market rate, I can WFH on a day or two and save my commute on the MUNI into the office.

5)I doubt the company will be around past 12/2014, so don't even bother applying.

Constant change, lack of leadership.

I worked at Evolv

Pros

Ability to learn different skills because there is no one else to do them. Medical benefits are good.

Cons

Employee turnover is high. Remote employees are not valued.

Management needs to stabilize, constant change does not improve employee moral.

Software support

Current Employee - Software Support
    Current Employee - Software Support

I have been working at Evolv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with & very understanding when it comes to family and stuff coming up.

Cons

Communication between departments can be lacking.

Increase communication to support departments that are one n one with customers.

A great place to grow, fast.

I have been working at Evolv

Pros

Evolv is still a relatively small company and subsequently for anyone that wants to learn, I would have a hard time thinking of a better place to work. You are so much closer to the upper management team than you would be in a larger company. As a result, interacting with them isn't hard/impossible to do, in fact in a lot of cases its apart of your daily routine. Working side-by-side with this level of talent will always rub off, it's just up to you to take advantage of that benefit.

Somewhat related is the amount of hands-on experience that you won't see in a larger company. If you've never worked in a small company you won't really appreciate this until you've worked in both. Large companies coddle you, massively. It certainly doesn't feel like it, but they do. There are lots of other teams that can help you deliver your results, or supply you with the data and guidance you need to do you job. In a smaller company there isn't necessarily the type/levels of support you're used to. There are no shortage of people willing to help you in a smaller company, but you'll have to ask for that support and it might not come from places you'd expect. It truly is a team effort within a small company.

Evolv is growing, but it's growing inline with its business growth. It's not stretching, it's defining clear goals and working toward them. I'm not going to tell you these are easy goals, because they're not. We don't always meet them, but we're always working toward those goals and we do so as a team.

Cons

While there are lots of benefits to working in a small company, there are downsides. The most obvious being amenities. If you're a creature comforts person, you're probably not going to fit in. While there is somewhere to make coffee and microwave a meal, that's pretty much it. There's no team of cooks or cleaners cooking and cleaning up for you, you have to do it.

Keep up the great work. Evolv is the perfect balance between getting results and enjoying the people you work with.