Evonik Corporation

north-america.evonik.com

Evonik Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

John Rolando

"Great International Company with A lot of Opportunity for Growth"

Chemist I (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a great specialty chemicals company. There is a lot of opportunity for people with a science/engineering background that can understand business of chemicals. The company focuses on development of their professionals to later take on greater responsibilities. It is very international with many sites and plants around the world, so there are opportunities for relocation and travelling often since it is a German company. There is a very welcoming environment and mix of cultures on most of the sites. Life and work balance is good as observed from the family oriented employees. Great people to work with. Fun environment.

ConsThere is not much of a training for the different positions. In other words, responsibilities are not put on paper for each and every employee. The more experience you get in the business the more you'll learn. There has to be flexibility for relocation if you want to continue growing within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in their employees training

Interesting Company with lots of Opportunities

ProsIt is truly a global company that is rapidly growing in the Specialty Chemical business. If you are looking for a company to spend your entire career at, this is one of them as each division and location is unique and presents new challenges. The dedication to making employees have the tools to succeed is appreciated as well. The bonuses are above average. The ability to be innovative in your approach to different problems is definitely a huge plus.

ConsCompensation is at or below average based on various industry averages. As it is a growth-by-acquisition business, the culture can be fragmented if the site is new to the company. Extended international experience will be required to continue progressing through the company, which is understandable since it is based in Germany.

Good place to work and grow

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is highly interested in developing employee talent. From what I've seen, work-life balance is a prioritiy and most of the time, the job demands are reasonable.

Evonik is international and based on Germany. A pro for some and a con for others. At some point in your career, you will have the opportunity to work in a foreign country.

ConsEvonik is international and based on Germany. A pro for some and a con for others, but at some point your career will probably be limited without an international assignment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience based largely on site location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Piscataway, NJ

ProsPotential to travel to Germany, the company's headquarters. Career potential if willing to travel to and from Germany.

ConsTraining is limited, often members are put into roles with little to no guidance. Stagnant. Opportunity to move up limited if at all. If any opportunities are present, they are probably in Germany. The German part of the company will always be the most important, with the North America Division as the ugly step-child.
    Piscataway site especially neglected - ghost town-esque.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop better programs, new hire training, and career path/planning

Excellent company with strong values, culture, and wonderful peer group

Manager (Current Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

ProsThough not the best, but the compensation structure is above average as per the industry standards. Opportunity for international assignments would be there provided you are willing to relocate. Proven products in the market for a long period of time have created a strong brand so you enjoy the brand and reputation of the company. In most of the cases work-life balance would be there barring few functions or departments where you may have to work longer hours. Great mentoring culture so lots of learning opportunities if you are willing to learn.

ConsThe average age of employees is 50+ in the company so the company needs to hire lots of young people to bring in the fresh idea. Decision making seems to be too centralized and is primarily from Germany..it needs to be decentralized to the extent possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great place to start

Senior Scientist (Former Employee) Piscataway, NJ

ProsSmall company site, nice colleagues to work with, intersting job, and great travel possibilities.

ConsLots of turnover in management while I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I have worked for the company for 4 1/2 years.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Mobile, AL

ProsThey pay fair compensation and have decent benefits.

ConsThe German culture is very different than the US culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open communication would be appreciated.

Extremely limited opportunities for US workforce

ProsDecent pay, good benefits, great co workers

ConsThis is a German company operating internationally. They are not an international company. Opportunities favor Germans/Germany and there are far too many German management in key positions ruling with a German cultural stance that doesn't bode well in the US culture. The organization is way to complex with too many layers and too many people reporting to 2 or 3 bosses. They have over centralized so many functions, the organization can't function effectively anymore. They've organized and reorganized, centralized and downsized keeping the organization in a constant state of flux and confusion.They practice such absolute control, it is choking the business. They've ripped the heart and soul out of what was once a close knit and productive team of people across the site valuing the bottom line more than the people or the work life balance. . It is now just a mere shadow of what it once was.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to be more of an international company where the culture of each geographic location is valued and allowed to work the way it needs to to grow. Stop over centralizing and harmonizing where it doesn't make sense. Loosen the reigns a bit to release the choke hold you have on the organization and watch it flourish.

Keep on your radar.

Product Development (Former Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

ProsExcellent technical platforms for clients. Great co-workers who are conscientious and team oriented.

ConsGoing through some growing pains after some expansion. They are thought leaders, however, in the tech development space.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the development of new technologies to match strategic intents of key accounts and key target market objectives.

This is only specific to some sites in the US

ProsGood pay, good benefits, lots of opportunities if you are willing to travel and move, the company works to be innovative

ConsAlthough the chemistry and products are innovative, other areas are not. The IT systems are always behind and although we say we work towards Work/Life Balance, that is not really the case. Managers are pretty reluctant to entertain any flexibility ideas, there is a culture of being in front of your computer all day is the way to show you are getting your work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove in to the 21st century and consider more flexible work options.

Worked for Evonik Corporation? Contribute to the Community!