Ewing

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014
4.1

Douglas W. York

The best job I have ever had

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ewing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ewing really tries to promote from within and gives employees the best training available. If you are willing to relocate there is opportunity for any employee of value. The management that I dealt with gave you all the room you could ask for which is good if you are a self starter. I will compare all future jobs with Ewing!!

Cons

It is growing fast, so changing fast. If you are not a go with the flow person this can be intimidating, but this is also creating a lot of opportunities for the best and brightest.

Try not to lose the family feel.

You'd better be a member of the fraternity

I worked at Ewing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They throw lots of money at you if they are trying to recruit you, and seem very welcoming.

Cons

When they get what they want from you, not so much. You'd better be a yes man and not make any waves or challenge the status quo no matter how stupid, counterproductive, or antiquated it may seem. Only management positions pay anything. Counter salespeople make very little for what is expected. Branch managers are responsible for EVERYTHING and must attend a ridiculous amount of meetings and participate in an equally ridiculous amount of promotions, merchandising "contests", etc. Not to mention the team building events. (laughable). Their biggest team building activity is to supply alcohol to everyone at the conventions. Whoopie. You can only move up if you are willing to relocate or travel extensively. Or are a big butt kisser. Take your pick.

Not that they would consider any advice, but that is exactly what they need to do. Listen to other people who just may know something. Just because your last name is York, doesn't mean you don't have things to learn. There is no work-life balance. Ewing wants to be involved in every single aspect of a person's life. Some of us want a job and a home life, and like to keep them separate.

Long time employee, Happy with ability to grow and learn here.

I have been working at Ewing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company for someone looking for long term growth. Company has managed to grow and improve through even the worst of times. Good people and management, good at not micromanaging employees. Lots of training and education opportunities. Good long term plan, not standing pat on past successes.

Cons

May be challenging for people that dont like to be pushed. A lot is expected of employees, and if you dont buy in you might get passed over.

Overall, not bad.

Current Employee - Driver/Counter
    Current Employee - Driver/Counter

I have been working at Ewing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family oriented, great training incentives, decent customer experience, nice benefits

Cons

Most advancement is with willingness to relocate, too much pressure on smaller branches to make big numbers, not enough pay for what you deal with day to day.

Add one more person to 3 man team (small branch) to better desperse stress

Great family owned business!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ewing full-time

Pros

Family owned. Treat employees very well. Large, stable company. Been in business since 1922.

Cons

Wages are a bit lower than they should be, but are somewhat offset with benefits. Long hours.

Great place, with opportunities to advance

I have been working at Ewing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Small branches and staff give you the ability to create a successful store using your own judgment and ideas. Lots of focus on training and education. Great environment for a long term employee. A lot of opportunities for advancement if you want to take them. Aggressive growth goals have created, and will lead to, tons of advancement opportunities. Pretty good benefit package especially if you are a long term employee. The company is really focused on great customer service.

Cons

Fast growth often leads to growing pains. Still sometimes a struggle to find a balance between growing the total number of branches and growing an individual branch. Being one of the highest priced distributors in the industry makes it a struggle to get new customers sometimes.

Keep up the great work. It is hard to find a company with such a strong vision for the future and a company that values it's long term employees so much.

Fantastic company to work for.

I have been working at Ewing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The organization encourages collaboration between regions/employees. You always have the opportunity to meet employees from other regions/areas. Advancement opportunities are readily available and the company rewards tenure and training. We are also encouraged to treat the customers right and this is engrained in our company culture. This allows for freedom to do what's necessary for our customer.

Cons

As the company continues to grow in size and sales, we sometimes get bombarded with new policies, procedures and operations.

Continue to encourage training and to keep the culture of Ewing alive and well. Even though we continue to grow, keep sight of where we started and that we are family owned.

Decent company, opportunities for advancement

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES

I worked at Ewing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities, at least for low-level employees. Interaction with management, employees get input for how stores run.

Cons

Benefits are not great, long hours, there's always the sense that if management can squeeze another minute of productivity out of you and pay you for a minute less that they'll take it.

There's a line where too much efficiency leads to high turnover, you should find that line.

Depending on location, potential for advancement seems good.

Current Employee - COUNTER SALES
    Current Employee - COUNTER SALES

I have been working at Ewing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ewing seems to invest highly in new hires.
    Starting pay is decent,and raises have been regular.
    Potential for advancement is good
    Work is light, out of the elements, and relatively low stress. I like the environment

Cons

Many branch personnel seem jaded for some reason.
    The antiquated green screen software has a long learning curve. This need serious updating.
    Branch managers seem to get a lot dumped on their plate.
    Branches seem to be competing against each other so they can reach their numbers.
    Buyers stock the stores, not managers. There can be a disconnect between what we're selling and what buyers stock us with.

On the whole,I think ewing is headed in the right direction.

A

Current Employee - Counter Salesman in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Counter Salesman in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ewing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

family owned
    co workers
    private
    large but feels small

Cons

regional manager
    management of higher level outside corporate is not the best
    pay
    pricing
    seasonal change

Employee retention due to low pay