Ewing

www.ewing1.com

Ewing Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Douglas W. York

Long time employee, Happy with ability to grow and learn here.

ProsGreat company for someone looking for long term growth. Company has managed to grow and improve through even the worst of times. Good people and management, good at not micromanaging employees. Lots of training and education opportunities. Good long term plan, not standing pat on past successes.

ConsMay be challenging for people that dont like to be pushed. A lot is expected of employees, and if you dont buy in you might get passed over.

Overall, not bad.

Driver/Counter (Current Employee)

ProsFamily oriented, great training incentives, decent customer experience, nice benefits

ConsMost advancement is with willingness to relocate, too much pressure on smaller branches to make big numbers, not enough pay for what you deal with day to day.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd one more person to 3 man team (small branch) to better desperse stress

Great family owned business!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFamily owned. Treat employees very well. Large, stable company. Been in business since 1922.

ConsWages are a bit lower than they should be, but are somewhat offset with benefits. Long hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic company to work for.

ProsThe organization encourages collaboration between regions/employees. You always have the opportunity to meet employees from other regions/areas. Advancement opportunities are readily available and the company rewards tenure and training. We are also encouraged to treat the customers right and this is engrained in our company culture. This allows for freedom to do what's necessary for our customer.

ConsAs the company continues to grow in size and sales, we sometimes get bombarded with new policies, procedures and operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to encourage training and to keep the culture of Ewing alive and well. Even though we continue to grow, keep sight of where we started and that we are family owned.

Great place, with opportunities to advance

ProsSmall branches and staff give you the ability to create a successful store using your own judgment and ideas. Lots of focus on training and education. Great environment for a long term employee. A lot of opportunities for advancement if you want to take them. Aggressive growth goals have created, and will lead to, tons of advancement opportunities. Pretty good benefit package especially if you are a long term employee. The company is really focused on great customer service.

ConsFast growth often leads to growing pains. Still sometimes a struggle to find a balance between growing the total number of branches and growing an individual branch. Being one of the highest priced distributors in the industry makes it a struggle to get new customers sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. It is hard to find a company with such a strong vision for the future and a company that values it's long term employees so much.

Decent company, opportunities for advancement

COUNTER SALES (Former Employee)

ProsAdvancement opportunities, at least for low-level employees. Interaction with management, employees get input for how stores run.

ConsBenefits are not great, long hours, there's always the sense that if management can squeeze another minute of productivity out of you and pay you for a minute less that they'll take it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a line where too much efficiency leads to high turnover, you should find that line.

Depending on location, potential for advancement seems good.

COUNTER SALES (Current Employee)

ProsEwing seems to invest highly in new hires.
    Starting pay is decent,and raises have been regular.
    Potential for advancement is good
    Work is light, out of the elements, and relatively low stress. I like the environment

ConsMany branch personnel seem jaded for some reason.
    The antiquated green screen software has a long learning curve. This need serious updating.
    Branch managers seem to get a lot dumped on their plate.
    Branches seem to be competing against each other so they can reach their numbers.
    Buyers stock the stores, not managers. There can be a disconnect between what we're selling and what buyers stock us with.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the whole,I think ewing is headed in the right direction.

A

Counter Salesman (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Prosfamily owned
    co workers
    private
    large but feels small

Consregional manager
    management of higher level outside corporate is not the best
    pay
    pricing
    seasonal change

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention due to low pay

Great company! family owned and oriented which is hard to find these days!

COUNTER SALES (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe York's have built a great company that is focused on it's customer's landscaping needs always offering an opportunity to learn and grow with the company.

ConsThe company is very clique-y and male dominated

Advice to Senior ManagementDoug keep doing what your doing you have a remarkable company in your hands.

Great Company but watch out for the employees.

Sales (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWell organized. Lots of input on manageing the inventory and following procedures. Great interest in the industry.

ConsSlow advancement, low pay. Not a good organizational structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication. Do salary studies to improve the pay scale. Improve hiring practices to get better qualified employees.

Worked for Ewing? Contribute to the Community!