Exa Corporation Reviews

Stephen Remondi

1. Validation engineer

Current Employee - Validation Engineer
    Current Employee - Validation Engineer

I have been working at Exa Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The technology level is very high. Some people are leading this field and very well known. It is good to work

Cons

Salary is not high level in Boston area.

Advice to Management

Very nice place to work

2. Application Engineer

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Exa Corporation

Pros

Creative works, Nice working balance, high technology, powerful super computer.

Cons

Not very high pay at Bay Area,

Advice to Management

Nice Manager

3. Amazing technology, below average company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Exa Corporation full-time

Pros

Amazing technology (like really really best-in class transient CFD solution), lot of expert people in their respective fields. This company could take over the full CFD market if guided properly. Excellent work/life balance if you want . Lot of potential for the company. You can really solve tough industry problems nobody else can.

Cons

Limited career growth. Low starting salary and slow salary growth. Hard work and commitment are not correctly rewarded. Bad business decisions from senior management, (lack of) vision based on short term revenue. Micro-management. Everything is plummeted by slow software development guided by deprecated best practices.

Advice to Management

Be open-minded about business ideas originating from regular employees. Promote further mid-term and long-term R&D investments. Trust people, stop micro-managing. Be more careful about expenses vs return on investment for strategic decisions especially software-related. Develop/deliver new software features faster. Use software development best practices. Reward success faster, and especially commitment. Start treating better hard working employees. Look beyond automotive industry, further explore other markets.

5. Great place to start a career in HPC or scientific computing

Former Employee - Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer

I worked at Exa Corporation

Pros

An interesting array of client projects for people approaching Exa from the directions of software engineering, physics or mechanical engineering. The variety and profile of clients the company's unique place in the automotive and heavy transportation industries can attract is very unique. The working environment is relaxed yet results focused.

Cons

It is possible to be at an entry level engineering position for some years. This simply means that an engineer must differentiate him/herself in some way by contributing to the products. This is really not so much a con as a pro, because it means that the managers have all themselves made some fundamental contribution to PowerFLOW or related products to earn their place in the management chain.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I look forward to watching the company grow, even just as a former employee.

Keep looking for a different company...

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Exa Corporation

Pros

They paid me well during the time I was there. Benefits were good.

Cons

Very expensive product that cannot do what their competitors are doing at 10% of the cost. Company has been jacked up by the venture capitalists and current owners to prop up the stock price. They can never succeed at this point in this mature market place. Doomed to be a niche player forever.

Advice to Management

None

Application Engineer

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Exa Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

interesting work, knowledgeable colleagues, good product.

Cons

Micromanagement, Condescending sr management, Zero vision - Barely make ends meet and end up living the struggle, Archaic hardware and software tools, Very Conservative mind set of the management, Unreal expectations and software development team that is headstrong and unpractical.

Advice to Management

Grow UP!..Have an open mind.

Fast growing public (NASDQ) emerging tech company creating world class CFD simulation software

I have been working at Exa Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very talented, motivated colleagues who love what they do Significant responsibility for projects/ideas and results Fast paced and emerging - enough structure but no bureaucracy to slow things down Amazing products - innovative environment Willing to push the limits on new ideas Global and able to work at a Team

Cons

Meeting ambitious goals is always a challenge, but a good one

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation and drive to excel as the company grows Management is nimble and adapts quickly as needed

9. Professional Goal oriented company...

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting Administrator in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting Administrator in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Exa Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the fact that most of the employees here have longevity and that speaks volume about a company. I haven't been here very long, but have met very enthusiastic people and I look forward to growing with Exa.

Cons

I am working in a department that has been lacking a little TLC. But for the most part I really haven't seen many cons.

Advice to Management

Keep on track and don't lose sight of where we are headed as a GREAT company.

10. Incredible company and amazing co-workers...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Exa Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new employee I can say I feel nothing but lucky to be a part of Exa. From my hiring manager, to the CEO, all the way to my co-workers are nothing short of incredible. The employees at Exa are passionate about their work and very much committed to the organization. Exa also has a great benefit package.

Cons

Nothing but good people and processes thus far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Enthusiasm hard to find after the honeymoon ends.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer

I have been working at Exa Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exa corporation produces an awesome core product: PowerFLOW. It's easy to use and cool to be associated with the level of accuracy. Healthcare and 401k matching are nice and it appears that in some groups you are paid for your innovation.

Cons

The sales staff are often degrading to the application engineering staff and ignorant of day to day operations. They look to upper management for the status of the product or capabilities. This ignorance causes engineering staff to work harder than they are compensated for to deliver on Sales' promises. This leads to work/life balance issues.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to listen, in a judgement-free environment, to what application engineers are saying. Product managers consistently over promise our capabilities to look good during kick-off meetings. Sales execs run with the new capabilities, and the field engineers pay the price. Also, if a commission is part of a job offer, it is a SLIMEY move to covertly change it without an explicit meeting discussing the changes with the affected employees. Many of us have families we support and when money you are banking on doesn't show up it shakes your confidence to say the least.

RSS Feed </> Embed