Exact Software Reviews

1. Challenging business environment

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Exact Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loyal customers, committed employees, and good channel partners who challenge the business in a positive way. Long standing customers want to succeed in partnership with Exact.

Cons

The HQ in the Netherlands needs to make up its mind once and for all what to do with the US business. Is it a cash cow, is it a growth business, will there be adequate investment made to forge a future path for all stakeholders.

Determine a long term strategy, communicate it with all concerned and follow through.

2. Frenetic

I worked at Exact Software full-time

Pros

Very diverse work flow. Wide variety in projects and tasks. Congenial atmosphere. Adequate benefits.

Cons

European parents were very difficult. No appreciation for cultural/geographic differences. Intense pace. Some managers very difficult, like spoiled children when they did not get their way. High turnover rate

Listen to the employees. Appreciate what you have. Do not use them up

Working so hard to improve!

I worked at Exact Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Exact for 3 years and the difference between 2011 and 2014 are so vast it's almost impossible to describe. When i started, there was an Americas president that made the worst decisions possible for the business, people hated their jobs, I felt no opportunity for advancement or that anyone in HR even cared.

Having left earlier a few weeks ago (for reasons unrelated to dissatisfaction with the company), I can say it's a whole different ballgame. Firstly, the Americas portion of the company is now split into 3 business units, all headed by very smart, very dedicated and honestly, pretty cool managing directors. In 2011, there hadn't been any new product development in years and sales hadn't seen an upward trajectory in half a decade. Now, two of the three business have exceeded sales budgets EVERY quarter this year and both have released new products to market.

It's honestly a good time to be part of that company. I think they have the right leadership and passion to continue to grow. And they are making not just business-centric decisions, but people-centric decisions. The way they show their appreciation to their employees is just continuing to get better.

Cons

Benefits are fine- they are probably competitive for their market but definitely don't compete with huge companies (i.e JPM Chase, Oracle etc). I think pay is competitive, although probably not top of the market.

Just heard that they're increasing there paid-time off allowance to 19 days in the first year for non-senior leadership which I think is crazy good!

They need to work on embracing better work-life balance, at least in the Columbus office. I never heard any complaints from Minneapolis colleagues about this. There is an expectation to be available round-the-clock, and it's exhausting.

A little too much power still lies in the hands of the corporate office in the Netherlands. They have too much control and I think it is limiting on what the Americas groups can accomplish. The Americas are the only group that are really making money so NL needs to back off and give them more free reign.

5. Not a good place to grow

Current Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Exact Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good breadth of software solutions and well known overseas, but less known in the U.S.

Cons

The company culture in North America is quite poor. There were many disruptions in staff and management lacked clear vision. The pay is below average for the industry and benefits are basic. Work-life balance is frowned on. The software/technology industry is often considered cutting edge and a lot of companies value enabling their employees to advance and have balance, this is not one of them. I'd look for one that is, there are many out there.

6. Experience at exact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Exact Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice building

Cons

Lots of levels to get achieved

Na

7. Tries real hard, too European in approach

Former Employee - Sales Director in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Exact Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good products, good people, innovative engineers

Cons

Little marketing awarness, too many processes

Rely on US employees to set sales and marketing approach

Good company gone bad

I worked at Exact Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Exact for more than 1 year but less than 10...

I loved the company and everything it stood for when I first started. Then as the years went on and America started losing control it all went downhill. We were a name, not a number. We cared for each other and Human Resources were just that...human resources.

Cons

U.S. lost all control to the parent company in the Netherlands and many great, talented people lost their jobs.

You are not Microsoft, stop acting like it. I've never met anyone in the U.S. that has ever heard of Exact or its products. First try establishing yourself here in America and earn the right to flaunt later. And don't forget...it's your U.S. employees that make Exact what it is here, try to remember that too.

9. Not worth the effort

I have been working at Exact Software full-time

Pros

I like the people I work with on a day to day basis.

Cons

There is no opportunity for advancement. My supervisor has asked for a promotion for me for 2 years and despite excellent reviews, I have been told there is no room in the budget for advancement.

Unless you have no choice!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Exact Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team in the US, stable product proven in small european markets.

Cons

False starts in markets outside Holland are largely due to this organization's inability to cede "go to market" control to those markets. Insistence on running everything from Holland adds cost, complexity and continues to mean missed expectations in the very markets critical to their growth. Absurd performance goals mean they never have to pay performance bonuses.

Learn from your past mistakes. Find some humility - being the #1 software company in the smallest country in Europe doesn't mean you know everything. Continued failures outside your comfort zone indicate otherwise.
    Ignorance and arrogance are a not a great combination.

11. The America's region had a great Executive Team.

I worked at Exact Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture in the America's region was driven by the America's Executive Team. The entire team had an open door policy and worked day and night to the keep the employees feel like they were part of an entrepreneur environment. The America's team survived 4 Corporate CEOs within 4 years, they had to follow some tough decisions made by Corporate behind the scenes but always fighting for the employees and the customers. I respected them and worked very well with them.

Cons

The company went through 4 Corporate CEOs in less than 4 years. There were too many changes and I heard eventually with the 4th CEO he terminated the Executive team and closed the HQ offices.

Advice to the Corporate Executives, People are not just spaces, they have faces make contact with them, talk to them, get to know who your people you would be amazed at the great talent you have that you don't even know about.