Examination Management Services

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
1.7

Mark S. Davis

Pros
  • Able to work from home and set own field appointments (in 10 reviews)

• I am now full time salaried and am paid time and a half for overtime which is unheard of working at this level for an insurance company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Clear expectations not provided by upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of training and opportunity for advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Tough pay bills and work there

I worked at Examination Management Services

Pros

Able to work from home and set own field appointments. I am now full time salaried and am paid time and a half for overtime which is unheard of working at this level for an insurance company.

Cons

Clear expectations not provided by upper management. Lack of training and opportunity for advancement.

If you have bills to pay; don't work here

Current Employee - Field Investigator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Field Investigator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Examination Management Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The middle management appears to be really great. Work from home. That's about it

Cons

The biggest issue is pay. I used to love my job until I went to work here. I took a HUGE pay cut unbeknownst to me due to their lies regarding pay and pay scale. You travel a lot and they do not pay mileage nor do they pay vehicle maintenance reimbursement. You will work 50-60 hrs a week and you're out of town 80% of the time. I'm so strapped financially that when I travel I never have money to eat on the road. This week I will live off protein shakes and coffee....literally. When you explain to them you're basically only making 50% of your promised income they tell you they don't care. I'm looking for another company to transfer to and I highly recommend you think twice before working for this company.

Pay your investigators what they're worth. These guys and gals sacrifice a lot for your company. They spend a lot of time away from their families. They allow you the use their personal vehicles. You want quality work from your investigators then pay for it. Period. I'm betting you never worry about how you're going to feed your family each week....neither should your employees.

I'm Happy here

Current Employee - Remote Underwriter in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Remote Underwriter in Waco, TX

I have been working at Examination Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started as a fee based contract employee and was really able to earn a decent living but no benefits. I am now full time salaried and am paid time and a half for overtime which is unheard of working at this level for an insurance company. Overtime so far is not unreasonable (it's not every week and so far never over 10 hours in a week) PLUS I get to work from home so I no longer have to spend hours commuting. My management takes the time to talk to me and at least hear my input. Good training and support.

Cons

They are a TPA so the work comes in erratically at times which can make long term personal planning a challenge.

Maybe reconsider the PTO policy. Sometimes it's hard to put in a request 2 week in advance and consider keeping en of the year black out dates to no less than a few weeks. Blacking out the major holidays doesn't do much for work/life balance.

Don't fall for false promises

Current Employee - SIU Investigator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SIU Investigator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Examination Management Services

Pros

paid on time, gas card,

Cons

Report writing time compensation is a joke, report deadlines are not realistic, poor to no communication with HR

pay your employees what they deserve and don't leave them hanging. Don't hire people and then don't have any work for them.

Unethical and unprofessionalism /very poor infrastructure

Former Employee - Healthcare in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Healthcare in Irving, TX

I worked at Examination Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really didn't have any, since the benefits weren't too good.Didn't have the ability to enrolled in the 401k since I was an hourly employee. Can't invest in your future.....

Cons

Challenge was working for an organization that had many unethical and unprofessional individuals in leadership positions. EMSI didn't have an open door policy; there wasn't any support from the HR team. When reported being bullied by upper management, along with working in an hostile work environment, HR never investegated the manner.No communication with HR remained confidential.Employees one on one meetings with HR personnel was reported back to your boss. Infrastructure was very inadequate and inefficient. Lots of errors were made due to lack of resources. Very high turnover, and unnecessary firing of employees due to personal and discriminating reasons.

Focus on developing a more ethical and professional work environment, and set example by living up to your mission and values. Focus on creating an infrastructure that works, this will help with trying to regain all the business partners and contracts the company has loss through the years.

Underwriter

Current Employee - Life Underwriter
    Current Employee - Life Underwriter

Pros

They allow you to work remote. Management is generally easy to get along with.

Cons

Feels like they are going to let you go as soon as they no longer need you. I do not see very many people staying here for any period of time. They will pay you as little as they can and expect a lot of overtime which being on salary just puts you under pressure to perform. No work/family balance. No compete clause hidden in your offer. You cannot leave and go to any other company they do business with for one year and they do business with just about every company out there. So, you cannot get out. I strongly recommend you do not get caught in this trap. Benefits are very expensive if you have a family you want to insure.

Reassure your employees they have job security and be able to back it up. Offer more affordable benefits. People are trying to survive and take care of there families.

Run Run Run !!

Former Employee - IT Department in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - IT Department in Irving, TX

I worked at Examination Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is not even single positive sentence OOPS !! I should say not even a single word that is positive about this company.

Cons

My wife tells me to write a Novel about the cons of this company . These people seriously need to go school and educate themselves on how to run a company . If not school even "Management for Dummies " should work for them .The people are very rude and you actually lose family life when you start working here. They will make you work 24/7 if you don't know Ray Ann , Jerry or the art of flattery .

Unethical practice of firing people should be stopped.It is high time you realize why do you have so much of turn over.
    Family time = happy and productive employee.

If you have a job, keep it... If you don't, keep looking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Examination Management Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any at this time...

Cons

Chaos is the word that comes to mind... For some "FT" jobs the "FT" hours are rare, for others, you are working OT non-stop (but they will make sure you are exempt so you don't actually get OT)... There is no respect for anybody, executives will smile and play nice in front of the blue collar employees but when they are not around, they only yell and curse at senior management or their assistants (probably that's why their culture is mistreating people)... They offer benefits just to say they offer them, but they are non-competitive at all... They don't care if you progress, about your training or to give you a good opportunity to advance unless you are ready to get your nose brown or to do something dirtier... That's the only way to get promoted...But if they decide to do so, they will promote to management positions people with no experience, knowledge or education...

Respect: It's such a simple word but it can make a big difference when you actually practice it with your employees...

Do not work here. No one is that desperate

I worked at Examination Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is literally no positive in working for this company except working from home. They will pay for any license renewal needed and that is it.

Cons

Field Investigators are treated very poorly. They will only pay you hourly and during the holidays and winter, there is no work and you do not get paid. They have a complex system of a blended pay rate that pays you on a sliding scale so you never reach the actual hourly rate they promise. They only pay minimum wage for travel and if you have too much travel or claim ANY administrative time you get your hourly rate reduced. The recruiters and HR people will not talk about that. The demands they place on staff is outrageous in the guise of “customer service”. You will work 50-60 hours a week and get paid for 30 at a reduced rate. They got rid of the only managers that knew anything and the rest live in fear of downsizing. Management is encouraged to find any little reason they can to write people up so they can get rid of them in the offseason. They will fight EVERY unemployment claim so the employee will buckle before they can appeal.

Get rid of narcissistic management especially the namesake. Mark Davis cares only about the margins; there is nothing wrong with that unless you sacrifice basic integrity and professionalism in business which is what is happening here. John Utley would turn in his grave if he knew how his company is being run. How can you expect people to deliver superior customer service and exceptional performance when you show them no respect and impose a dictatorial managerial style. You have more problems than you can possibly solve.

Very poor quality workplace.

Former Employee - Field Investigator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Field Investigator in Denver, CO

I worked at Examination Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly working by your own schedule. Working from home. Lot's of traveling. Hotels are paid for.

Cons

Hotels are one of the ONLY things that are paid for. You get Fixed pay for report writing REGARDLESS of how long a report actually takes, for example you can work a report for 1 or 3 hours, but your pay is only 20 or 30 minutes. Minimum wage pay for all travel time, which is also fixed. You don't get paid for actual time driving. Pay is per job, which is often only 4 hours of work, at your actual pay rate, and then ALL other time is minimum wage. Managers never answer phones and don't call back, in time to get addition time approved. If you stay on a case until you get a hold of a manager, you're scolded and told that the additional time is not approved, so you eat it. Often times you have to use any vacation days or sick days to make 40 hours a week pay period. They'll constantly ask you to do an additional "check" on someone or stay for a few minutes longer on a case; then if you don't get any results (Which is possible) you don't get any extra pay, or paid for the gas to do your extra "Check".
    I do forsee this company continuing to grow, mostly because they don't invest in current employees. Company expenses must be low, because they hardly pay for anything.... Everyone you talk to has been there less than a year, and you're constantly seeing new "Employees". Turnover is much like a call center.

I've given PLENTY of advice to upper management. You never listened to us then, you won't listen now.