Excalibur Hotel & Casino

Renée West

1. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Excalibur Hotel & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Wages & Excellent Benefits - A majority of the team members consider Excalibur their second family.

Cons

New Executive Management (not related to Renee West) - Expectations are unrealistic and cause un-necessary stress on entry level and upper management team members.

Advice to Management

Before making important decisions regarding staff employment (positive or negative), make an attempt to understand the staff member, how they have contributed to the company/department, whether they have received disciplinary actions in the past (or not), and consider the training they were provided. Department training should be documented (as it is with initial training); this should also include those that are promoted into varied positions.

2. Satisfying Place to Work

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Excalibur Hotel & Casino part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits through the Union
    Holiday pay is very good
    Steady conditions
    Plenty of opportunity for overtime during busy seasons

Cons

Limited mobility/opportunity for advancement
    Increasing reliance on scripts
    Upgrade commissions not worth the trouble
    Difficult to get time off with out calling out

Advice to Management

Reconsider how extra days off are handled
    Hire more supervisors for the desk

3. Renee West Is nickel and diming this place to death

Current Employee - Casino Host in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Casino Host in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Excalibur Hotel & Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The compensation and hours are great.

Cons

"At Luxor, the pyramid itself is iconic, so although people are not looking for that Egyptian theme, they expect at least a wink and a nod to it."

"The recent and upcoming renovations to the property pay respect to the Egyptian theme but in a more contemporary and upscale way."

"The theme at Excalibur is less important to the customer – the castle doesn’t make a promise of a medieval experience; it makes a promise of a fun experience, so we do our best to live up to that."

Renee West, Leaders Magazine July, August, September 2013

Advice to Management

BRING BACK THE THEME. I AM TIRED OF HEARING GUESTS ASKING WHAT HAPPENED TO EXCALIBUR.

5. a good place for you to come and say for vacation.

Current Employee - Frycook in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Frycook in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Excalibur Hotel & Casino part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

it's a union house the pay is great paid holidays birthday pay, you should apply for a job because in 2016 the MGM is opening a stadium. and the Excalibur is going to get even more customers.

Cons

just being home and able to answer the phone to go to work.

6. Have worked here for 14 years and still love it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Excalibur Hotel & Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our President, she is an amazing woman, truly cares about each of us and encourages us to grow.

Cons

Can't think of even one.

Advice to Management

Get out there with your staff, let them know you care

7. Has not just gained a great , job but a family too

Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Excalibur Hotel & Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

economically it has been a great job money wise, I have always been acknowledged for good customer service and job performance which makes me strive to be the best due to the "pat on the back" sort to say,,

Cons

uncooperation from fellow employees and the sometime so sad and ridiculous gossip

Advice to Management

Always carry a good balance of interacting with your employees, knowing them by name, remembering certain situations in there life (ie: hows your daughter liking college) etc.. acknowledgment for good performance,, which in turn earns likeability and respect..

8. I spent 15 years at Excalibur, something must have been good!!

Former Employee - Food Server in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Food Server in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Excalibur Hotel & Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I only worked in one F&B outlet during my 15 years, but I think my comments would apply to all departments and outlets. Most departments and outlets have many longtime employees making it quite the family atmosphere.

Cons

Middle mgmt, and sometimes upper mgmt, are reluctant to supply employees with the necessary tools to accomplish the task at hand. Mgmt would frequently doubt our ability and sincerity, even though we had been in the position for over a decade...and sometimes longer than that manager had been with the company.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES !!!

9. Decent place to work while look for improved work enviroment

Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Excalibur Hotel & Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Average clientele that is aware about the product the company has to offer so not snotty clients.. they know they are getting what they pay for so easy to satisfy. Loyal employees that will serve my memories for years and I can call them friends.

Cons

Enormously understaffed for the size of the hotel in every department and guest service suffers due to that. Penny pinching upper management. Huge lines... and waiting guest all across the casino floors, they have to go hunt down employees to be assisted... worst on the strip.... No room service, bell service, and no coffee shop or food place open after 11 pm.

Advice to Management

Your employees are thrown to the wolfs... just so company is not liable quick decisions are made.. even as far as to fire people without probable cause... Have some class and be loyal to employees that have been loyal to you for so many years and take a moment to investigate and be objective while you do that. Your HR staff that are involved in such things make decisions based on their rapport with all involved and ask for department heads to make decisions instead of HR making those decisions objectively.

10. They're trying, but still sub-par

Current Contractor - Customer Service in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Contractor - Customer Service in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Excalibur Hotel & Casino as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment, exciting atmosphere, most people are there on vacation. Many workers seem to care about their jobs, but middle management just seems beat up by executive management and unmotivated to create a better customer experience.

Cons

Cheap management, too little support for employees/vendors. Don't screw with people's pay when they have families to support. Provide better promotion and marketing for the services and shops you offer if you are going to hold departments accountable for greater revenue goals.

Advice to Management

Don't be cheap, value your working staff which makes customer experiences a revenue-generator.

11. My Rating

Former Employee - Ex-employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Ex-employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Excalibur Hotel & Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Home friendly place that welcome children as well.

Cons

They treat ex employees as strangers and first time visitors.

Advice to Management

Be better listeners and will to heip advance your current in house staff.