Excela Health

Updated February 2, 2015
Updated February 2, 2015
3.1

Robert J. Rogalski, Esq

Great people, great learning experience

Current Intern - Administrative Intern in Greensburg, PA
    Current Intern - Administrative Intern in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to a variety of projects. Opportunity to engage in meaningful work.

Cons

Company administration could benefit from more innovation and adopt best practices set by peers. Distance from a large city could be a factor in this.

Create more administrative positions and build larger administrative teams. I was hoping that my internship would have been able to turn into a full-time experience. Nonetheless, I am grateful for the time I spent at Excela Health.

Great workmates, Terrible Administration

Former Employee - Medical Secretary/Clerk/Receptionist in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Secretary/Clerk/Receptionist in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Excela Health

Pros

The people in my departments were tops. We helped each other and knew how to care for our patients and each other. Also, there is an onsite cafeteria and snack shop

Cons

Administration is now mostly financial with little medical input. You can not run a hospital system like you run a grocery or clothing store. They have taken the feeling of community away from the employees and the patients and their families.

The board needs medical people who can help balance the financial decisions being made. Managers need to step out of their offices and comfort zones and spend time in the actual facility with the employees and the patients and families. Also, have people go into different departments as a patient or family member, like a secret shopper, and see what you find out.

Coworkers were the one good thing about working there.

I worked at Excela Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were wonderful. Helped each other out.
    Decent pay
    Loved the patients and loved caring for them.
    Enjoyed free parking.

Cons

ALWAYS understaffed.
    Poor morale overall.
    Decisions made about staff which detrimentally effected them but did not ask for staff input.
    Upper management turned a blind eye to direct complaints about people and situations that negatively impact staff and patients.

Ask yourself why so many people have left/are leaving for employment elsewhere and if you're willing to ask that question, address and rectify the issues. Do not dismiss or ignore them.

Very limited exposure to overall ops.

Current Employee - Case Management in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Case Management in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you live close to the facility and salary and beenfits are not an issue, it will suffice.

Cons

Excela, sadly, does not value their employee, as demonstrated by their lack of adding points back for extra help from the employees above and beyond; coming in on a day off to help / working 55-60 hrs. a week in a salaried position, etc.. - no reward system for the good things done, but definite points off for any other infractions..

Initiate the same payback system with "reward points" as you have with points off - point for point. Seperate out sick time, PTO & Holiday time off, raise salaries across the board. Value your employees!

Overall, I really enjoyed working at Excela Health.

I worked at Excela Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had great flexibility with my schedule and worked with some fantastic people.

Cons

I wish I had felt valued by management.

I felt like my manager wasn't really listening to my concerns.

10 years experience. Provided opportunities to advance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people to work along side of. Nice benefit package. Community focused care and involvment within the communities that are serviced. People really care about patients and co-workers.

Cons

As all companies, we can strive to do better with communications.

Consistency and communications. This has improved, but we still have work to do. Changing culture is a very difficult task but we are achieving a more effective, patient centered care culture.

Senior Leadership needs replaced

Former Employee - Former Clinician in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Former Clinician in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff have their heart in the right place. They really care about the patients and each other. They try to do what's right even when initiatives and priorities change continually.

Cons

Senior leaders appointed in last 3 years are directly responsible for the downfall of this organization. Their agendas change frequently and they do not regard staff as the backbone of the organization and they are mistaken about this. The CEO is disconnected from almost everything and everyone in the organization and this has allowed the remaining senior leaders to make repeated mistakes which has led to frequent downsizing of great employees and initiatives.

My advice is to the Board of Directors. The CEO and a number of the senior executive team need replaced by individuals with sound judgement with a true regard for human capital.

Just say No

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Excela Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generally great care for a community hospital, benefits package very competitive with exception of cost of living raises, overall friendly coworkers

Cons

Management is in constant chaos with revolving door of upper management, employment very unstable as priorities change, significant differences between campuses unresolved, definitely matters "who you are" as to how you are treated. Anyone having worked in a tertiary care hospital will despise the MD/RN relationship- no respect whatsoever.

Physically GO to the treatment areas and talk to staff. Follow through. Keep promises. Keep everyone on the same page and accountable in upper management.

Overall it was a good place to work with the exception of the last year and a half.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home, great cardiologists, knowledgeable coworkers.

Cons

New management brought in last few years. Patient care not main focus anymore.

Listen to feedback from your employees and patients about recent decisions made.

Loved working at Excela Health

Former Employee - Admissions Registrar in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Registrar in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Decent benefits. Fun workplace. Good training and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Management was sketchy some times... Took a while to get schedules out. Upper Management took a while to get back to you on things.