Excela Health Reviews

Robert J. Rogalski, Esq

1. ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great managers and coworkers. Immediate supervisors are willing to listen and work out issues.

Cons

Company going throw growing pains. Company needs to change with the times as far as flexibility with hours, shifts etc. Company could be more competitive with wages.

2. Respiratory

I worked at Excela Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is higher than other hospitals in the area and they are willing to hire individuals with little experience and train you, rather than strictly hire individuals with a higher level of experience.

Cons

The hours and benefits are less than excellent.

Advice to Management

Remain consistent with policies. If there is a rule stick to it and don't change it based on the day of the week.

3. Office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dedicated staff especially at Latrobe Hospital, who are more than willing to go above and beyond to help you and take care of patients and their families.

Cons

Too many changes too quickly in nursing driven initiatives over the past 4 years. Exceptional staff left over these initiatives because they were overwhelmed with changes in policies or procedures that seemed to occur one after the other..... after the other..

Advice to Management

Taking care of the patient should be paramount and should not take a second seat to an advance degree pursuit or a seat on a committee. Change is better accepted when it is done gradually over a period of time so that staff can adjust and put their own priorities in order including work-life balance.

5. It was a good place to work.

Former Employee - Nursing
    Former Employee - Nursing

I worked at Excela Health

Pros

parking, location, convenient location home

Cons

only slightly competitive salary wise

6. Great workmates, Terrible Administration

Former Employee - Medical Secretary/Clerk/Receptionist in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Secretary/Clerk/Receptionist in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Excela Health

Pros

The people in my departments were tops. We helped each other and knew how to care for our patients and each other. Also, there is an onsite cafeteria and snack shop

Cons

Administration is now mostly financial with little medical input. You can not run a hospital system like you run a grocery or clothing store. They have taken the feeling of community away from the employees and the patients and their families.

Advice to Management

The board needs medical people who can help balance the financial decisions being made. Managers need to step out of their offices and comfort zones and spend time in the actual facility with the employees and the patients and families. Also, have people go into different departments as a patient or family member, like a secret shopper, and see what you find out.

7. Coworkers were the one good thing about working there.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were wonderful. Helped each other out. Decent pay Loved the patients and loved caring for them. Enjoyed free parking.

Cons

ALWAYS understaffed. Poor morale overall. Decisions made about staff which detrimentally effected them but did not ask for staff input. Upper management turned a blind eye to direct complaints about people and situations that negatively impact staff and patients.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself why so many people have left/are leaving for employment elsewhere and if you're willing to ask that question, address and rectify the issues. Do not dismiss or ignore them.

8. Very limited exposure to overall ops.

Current Employee - Case Management in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Case Management in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you live close to the facility and salary and beenfits are not an issue, it will suffice.

Cons

Excela, sadly, does not value their employee, as demonstrated by their lack of adding points back for extra help from the employees above and beyond; coming in on a day off to help / working 55-60 hrs. a week in a salaried position, etc.. - no reward system for the good things done, but definite points off for any other infractions..

Advice to Management

Initiate the same payback system with "reward points" as you have with points off - point for point. Seperate out sick time, PTO & Holiday time off, raise salaries across the board. Value your employees!

9. Overall, I really enjoyed working at Excela Health.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had great flexibility with my schedule and worked with some fantastic people.

Cons

I wish I had felt valued by management.

Advice to Management

I felt like my manager wasn't really listening to my concerns.

10. 10 years experience. Provided opportunities to advance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people to work along side of. Nice benefit package. Community focused care and involvment within the communities that are serviced. People really care about patients and co-workers.

Cons

As all companies, we can strive to do better with communications.

Advice to Management

Consistency and communications. This has improved, but we still have work to do. Changing culture is a very difficult task but we are achieving a more effective, patient centered care culture.

Senior Leadership needs replaced

Former Employee - Former Clinician in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Former Clinician in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Staff have their heart in the right place. They really care about the patients and each other. They try to do what's right even when initiatives and priorities change continually.

Cons

Senior leaders appointed in last 3 years are directly responsible for the downfall of this organization. Their agendas change frequently and they do not regard staff as the backbone of the organization and they are mistaken about this. The CEO is disconnected from almost everything and everyone in the organization and this has allowed the remaining senior leaders to make repeated mistakes which has led to frequent downsizing of great employees and initiatives.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the Board of Directors. The CEO and a number of the senior executive team need replaced by individuals with sound judgement with a true regard for human capital.

RSS Feed </> Embed