Excela Health

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
3.2

Robert J. Rogalski, Esq

Overall, I really enjoyed working at Excela Health.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had great flexibility with my schedule and worked with some fantastic people.

Cons

I wish I had felt valued by management.

I felt like my manager wasn't really listening to my concerns.

10 years experience. Provided opportunities to advance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fantastic people to work along side of. Nice benefit package. Community focused care and involvment within the communities that are serviced. People really care about patients and co-workers.

Cons

As all companies, we can strive to do better with communications.

Consistency and communications. This has improved, but we still have work to do. Changing culture is a very difficult task but we are achieving a more effective, patient centered care culture.

Senior Leadership needs replaced

Former Employee - Former Clinician  in  Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Former Clinician in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff have their heart in the right place. They really care about the patients and each other. They try to do what's right even when initiatives and priorities change continually.

Cons

Senior leaders appointed in last 3 years are directly responsible for the downfall of this organization. Their agendas change frequently and they do not regard staff as the backbone of the organization and they are mistaken about this. The CEO is disconnected from almost everything and everyone in the organization and this has allowed the remaining senior leaders to make repeated mistakes which has led to frequent downsizing of great employees and initiatives.

My advice is to the Board of Directors. The CEO and a number of the senior executive team need replaced by individuals with sound judgement with a true regard for human capital.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just say No

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Excela Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generally great care for a community hospital, benefits package very competitive with exception of cost of living raises, overall friendly coworkers

Cons

Management is in constant chaos with revolving door of upper management, employment very unstable as priorities change, significant differences between campuses unresolved, definitely matters "who you are" as to how you are treated. Anyone having worked in a tertiary care hospital will despise the MD/RN relationship- no respect whatsoever.

Physically GO to the treatment areas and talk to staff. Follow through. Keep promises. Keep everyone on the same page and accountable in upper management.

Overall it was a good place to work with the exception of the last year and a half.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Close to home, great cardiologists, knowledgeable coworkers.

Cons

New management brought in last few years. Patient care not main focus anymore.

Listen to feedback from your employees and patients about recent decisions made.

Loved working at Excela Health

Former Employee - Admissions Registrar  in  Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Registrar in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Decent benefits. Fun workplace. Good training and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Management was sketchy some times... Took a while to get schedules out. Upper Management took a while to get back to you on things.

Good organization to work with

I worked at Excela Health as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great staff who are dedicated to providing excellent healthcare to the communities served by the organization. Management is responsive to the changing healthcare landscape.

Cons

Old cultural norms are hard to shake. Continual (but necessary) changes within the organization are impacting morale.

Continue to listen to employees at all levels. Recognize that the pace that must be kept to address changes in reimbursements and healthcare delivery is alarming to many employees.

I enjoyed coworkers

Current Employee - QA Assistant  in  Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - QA Assistant in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I appreciated the benefits. The hospitalization, dental and vision benefits were very good. They are very generous and covered family and spouse. Paid time off was also very generous.

Cons

A lot of politics. Who you know is important when working there. Difficult to make improvements at times. Easy to identify problems, not so easy to correct them.

Allow staff to covey problems. Management look the other way or don't want to acknowledge there are problems in their areas.

Senior management is extremely disconnected from its workforce.

I worked at Excela Health full-time

Pros

There is a high camaraderie among coworkers, a real sense of working together. Interpersonal relationships were the best part of my position there.

Cons

Practically insignificant raises annually, if at all. The raises are supposed to be based on your performance review, but the review process is extremely poor. Only negatives get highlighted. No raises 2 out of the last 4 years for all staff. Any actual raises are low regardless. You cannot ask for a raise; you get what you get at review time.
    Some senior VP's, especially new ones, micromanage and do not permit ideas from lower staff.
    Also, the term "red tape" is appropriate when trying to make any changes, i.e. updating a policy. Very difficult to accomplish. Others in this line of red tape take it upon themselves to think they know better than the content experts.
    There always seems to be more senior level management, but it's the lower folks who have regularly been getting laid off. There's no way this can't impact patient care and the physical environment of the facilities. Slippery slope....

Let your people be the fantastic resources they are. Streamline the leadership, not the worker bees. Worry about employee satisfaction to the same level of patient satisfaction. If you have a pillar or value you say you hold high, don't contradict yourself through the fruit of your work.

Disconnected leadership

I worked at Excela Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great staff who generally want to do the right thing.

Cons

Staff are not supported by managers, managers are not supported by directors/V.P.s and senior leadership. Huge communication gap at these levels. Lots of lip service from leadership but no action to support these words. Old style management. They make all decisions and then tell you what to do.

Plain and simple.....walk the talk! They need to go out and see what is happening in the ranks and show the staff that they are interested and supportive of what they are doing. Instead, they appear disengaged.

Worked for Excela Health? Contribute to the Community!