Excelitas Technologies

www.excelitas.com

Excelitas Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Excelitas Technologies CEO David Nislick, Ph.D.

David Nislick, Ph.D.

Challenging

ProsOpportunities to guide the direction of a developing division.

ConsNearly every employee is over worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne word: resources.

A "technology" company with an identity crisis

ProsThe company generally treats its employees well, though I do get the sense that the production staff are sometimes seen as commodities (I'm an office level employee). Work life balance is typically pretty good and the people are generally fairly nice and easy to work with - including managers. Pay is fairly standard as are benefits.

ConsThe biggest con is the lack of technical development and innovation. Excelitas bills itself as a technology company, but its management is more focused on manufacturing and operational improvements than introducing new products or exploring new markets. 4 years ago, this company was spun out from Perkin Elmer because they did not see it as profitable or exciting. Since that time, Excelitas has had very little success growing organically, and has merely expanded their product portfolio by acquiring other companies. There is very little real organic growth at this company. If you're looking for a place to show up to work, coast, and get paid - this is not a bad option. If you want a challenging exciting, career, this probably isn't for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of focusing on inter-site consolidation, operational improvements, and quarter to quarter results, invest in technology development.

"A" players - welcome to a company that values you!

ProsIntelligent, ambitious, top performing employees thrive with this company by being rewarded promotions within, salary increases, and projects that are both challenging and exciting. With this organization I am able to maintain a Work/Life balance, there is very little micromanagement, and I work with a great team of competent and driven colleagues. The culture is welcoming and fun, positive office environment - everyone here is a true professional in every department. Employees at this organization are really good at what they do, so team collaboration is welcomed!

ConsI cannot find anything negative to say about my employment with this organization. The benefits are great (BlueCross PPO), compensation is market appropriate, incentives are rewarding. My only advice is for individuals who are just seeking any job, this is not the company for you and should seek employment else where. This company is custom tailored for ambitious and top performing employees in all departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communications to employees regarding internal changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is not the company for you if you are a top performer and prefers not to be micromanaged.

ProsOverall the company is decent. Lots of wonderful people to work with. Benefits are very good.

ConsExcelitas is going through lots of change, we have been acquiring companies at a rate of 2 per year, and the company does not run like a "global" company. Infrastructure like IT systems are disparate, but they are working on this- great IT people. As far as top management - let's say they need to know the need to clean house fast of a number of middle management people. Just do all your homework if you are looking for a job that requires interacting with HQ management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees very carefully if they have suggestions/concerns. Stop the politicking and BS...People who are hired to do a job are there because they are top contributors - treat them that way.

Great company! Excellent opportunities!!

ProsI get to work with people from all around the globe. People are great...a real collaborative culture. Also, the company not only cares about its own people, but also those within the surrounding community.

ConsI wish my commute was easier. Traveling in 128 traffic can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is headed in the right direction and I'm glad to be a part of it. Keep up the great work!

Member of engineering team

Engineer (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsFlexible hours, interesting technology, career stability and good benefits (pension plan, insurance)

ConsLittle feeling of freedom for innovation/R&D, no long term vision, mostly Quarter to Quarter profit monitoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not turn into a commodity supplier, innovative was key to our success for decades.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Micromanagement

ProsEmployees want to do well for the company

ConsManagement doesn't allow any decisions by employees

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the reins and trust your employees

Executive Friendly; Employee Unfriendly

Pros- Decent benefit package
    - 5% 401(k) match

Cons- Incompetent leadership team
    - "Good old boys club"
    - Zero training provided/paid for by company
    - Huge bonuses for Directors and above; none for employees who actually do the work
    - Cheap!! Always want talent at the lowest cost possible
    - Company is being driven into ground - will not be around in two years
    - Leadership not concerned with employee morale issues

Advice to Senior Management- Stop cutting all costs so YOUR bonuses will be bigger.
    - Try providing recognition to employees and thanking them for hard work.
    - Employees are your #1 asset. Until you realize this, you will continue to experience turnover and will not attract the best and brightest.

Worked for Excelitas Technologies? Contribute to the Community!