Excell Data Reviews

Reset
2.5
Excell Data CEO Anthony (Tony) Doye
Anthony (Tony) Doye

1. You have to explore your career path by yourself within the company.

I worked at Excell Data

Pros

Flexible, some training can be reimbursed, 401k

Cons

no formal training, project can be terminated earlier than expected

Advice to Management

I expect the company can provide more diversified opportunity to its employees; the hire team should have better knowledge about the job requirement and the on-going project so that can tailor the individual to his/her best fit for type of job. The project manager should follow up more frequently and get better informed of what's going on on-site.

2. Little to no help or support when you look for a new contract after your previous one has ended

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Excell Data

Pros

For the most part, the Resource Managers (at least in my experiences) generally leave you alone and don't interfere with your work during the contract.

Cons

After your contract is up, good luck in getting anyone at Excell Data to take any interest in your search for a new contract. This may be due to the sluggish economy right now, but it's hard to know. I want to stay at Microsoft in some capacity, as I've worked there on and off as both a Full-Time Employee (blue badge) and a contractor for more than ten years.

Right now, I am WAY beyond my 100-day break, and I'm desperately looking for a new contract. On several recent occasions, I've had unanswered responses to multiple email inquiries regarding my resume being sent to MS managers. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of using a different company to obtain contract employment at Microsoft.

Advice to Management

Please tell the recruiters to be more proactive in trying to match prospective employees with suitable employment. Excell takes a sizable percentage of one's hourly rate before they get their wages, so I would expect Excell to work a little harder for their money than they're presently doing.

Either Incompetent or Dishonest

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Excell Data

Pros

Probably the most comprehensive source of MS contract positions. Presumably competitive salary and benefits, although I wasn't employed long enough to take advantage of the latter.

Cons

Atrocious manager feedback, containing absolutely no actionable information. My Excell manager would simply regurgitate things she had been told by my lead, but with no understanding of the original context (or of what her notes even meant), she was completely at a loss to tell me how I could improve things. As a result, our monthly "check-ins" were a waste of time for both of us.

By far the worst aspect of my time with Excell, though, was the fact that they ended my contract per the original schedule AFTER promising me (in emails which I still possess) that it would be extended a month from the original ending date. I came in on Monday to discover that my cardkey no longer worked, my email address no longer existed, and, indeed, I had been completely purged from Active Directory and all other internal Microsoft systems. I called my Excell manager, who professed surprise, said she would look into it, and finally called back at the end of the day to inform me that "there had been a mistake" and my contract had expired per the original schedule. There was absolutely no attempt at any apology or explanation, or indeed any acknowledgment of responsibility whatsoever. I am furious about that, but it is still a relatively minor inconvenience for me - a few weeks of job hunting with no salary in the meantime. For my Indian officemate (who received the same false promise of a month's extension), it is much more serious - unless he finds a job immediately, his legal resident status is in jeopardy. Excell deserves to be sued for this level of malfeasance. I would urge anyone to avoid Excell as long as this kind of incompetent (or dishonest - I'm still not sure which) behavior continues.

Advice to Management

Please hire managers who have a modicum of understanding of the MS product development process and who do not make false promises and then refuse to take responsibility for the results of their incompetence.

5. Fine Contracting Agency

I worked at Excell Data

Pros

Open clear communication during review process, monthly checkups to see how contract is going/needs/wants. Good support from this contracting agency

Cons

Very limiting not complete clause with hiring contract - 6 month limitation. This can be negotiated out just be aware.

Advice to Management

Management of contractors seems to be fine

6. Don't contract at Microsoft.

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer III in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer III in Redmond, WA

I worked at Excell Data

Pros

Low barrier to entry. Extrordinarily low expectations.

Cons

Everything else. Low motivation, no respect, no advancement support. Wage slavery.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people, not products. Provide career advancement support. Act as advocates for your employees (contractors) first instead of for your clients (Microsoft) first.

Excellent technical contract agency near Seattle

Current Employee - SDE II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - SDE II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Excell Data

Pros

Excell has to be one of the best contract agencies to work with in the Seattle area. The company provides you with an HR rep, and most of them are very responsive and really get to know your needs as an employee. Their recruiters are also much better (admittedly, your mileage may vary) than other I've worked with in the past - much more able to match your needs and desires to a position that also matches your skillset. Other contract agencies I've worked for seem to try to place you, regardless of fit, simply to make their contingency.

They give you an "a la carte" benefit plan and pay based on a sliding scale for the benefits you take. Since their medical/dental benefits are average, I stuck with my wife's plan and it increased my hourly base substantially. Overall, if you're going to contract, this is the agency to do it with.

Cons

They fill a lot of positions at Microsoft. Almost to the exclusion of all others. That's only a downside if you'd rather not work there or if you need, or want, employment during that mandatory MS 100 day break each year. The benefits are pretty average, as agency benefits go - don't know if that's an upside or a downside. Their HR site (viewing payroll, time-off, etc) could use help... it's in, like, 4 different pieces, and you have to log in to each separately - more of a minor annoyance than anything.

Advice to Management

I have had no interaction with Compucom/Excell Data's management. The company is highly regarded, so I suppose they're doing something right.

8. One of the better contracting agencies

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Excell Data

Pros

Good recruiters, helpful resource managers

Cons

The contract hourly pay is not that great. Other companies are paying higher rates.

Advice to Management

Pay higher rates; showcase all the trainings/benefits/incentives that are provided to contractors in a much easier way

RSS Feed </> Embed