Excell Data

Add Photos

Excell Data President Rick Jorgensen

Rick Jorgensen

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You have to explore your career path by yourself within the company.

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible, some training can be reimbursed, 401k

Consno formal training, project can be terminated earlier than expected

Advice to Senior ManagementI expect the company can provide more diversified opportunity to its employees; the hire team should have better knowledge about the job requirement and the on-going project so that can tailor the individual to his/her best fit for type of job. The project manager should follow up more frequently and get better informed of what's going on on-site.

Little to no help or support when you look for a new contract after your previous one has ended

Software Test Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at Excell Data

ProsFor the most part, the Resource Managers (at least in my experiences) generally leave you alone and don't interfere with your work during the contract.

ConsAfter your contract is up, good luck in getting anyone at Excell Data to take any interest in your search for a new contract. This may be due to the sluggish economy right now, but it's hard to know. I want to stay at Microsoft in some capacity, as I've worked there on and off as both a Full-Time Employee (blue badge) and a contractor for more than ten years.

Right now, I am WAY beyond my 100-day break, and I'm desperately looking for a new contract. On several recent occasions, I've had unanswered responses to multiple email inquiries regarding my resume being sent to MS managers. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of using a different company to obtain contract employment at Microsoft.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease tell the recruiters to be more proactive in trying to match prospective employees with suitable employment. Excell takes a sizable percentage of one's hourly rate before they get their wages, so I would expect Excell to work a little harder for their money than they're presently doing.

Either Incompetent or Dishonest

Software Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Excell Data

ProsProbably the most comprehensive source of MS contract positions. Presumably competitive salary and benefits, although I wasn't employed long enough to take advantage of the latter.

ConsAtrocious manager feedback, containing absolutely no actionable information. My Excell manager would simply regurgitate things she had been told by my lead, but with no understanding of the original context (or of what her notes even meant), she was completely at a loss to tell me how I could improve things. As a result, our monthly "check-ins" were a waste of time for both of us.

By far the worst aspect of my time with Excell, though, was the fact that they ended my contract per the original schedule AFTER promising me (in emails which I still possess) that it would be extended a month from the original ending date. I came in on Monday to discover that my cardkey no longer worked, my email address no longer existed, and, indeed, I had been completely purged from Active Directory and all other internal Microsoft systems. I called my Excell manager, who professed surprise, said she would look into it, and finally called back at the end of the day to inform me that "there had been a mistake" and my contract had expired per the original schedule. There was absolutely no attempt at any apology or explanation, or indeed any acknowledgment of responsibility whatsoever. I am furious about that, but it is still a relatively minor inconvenience for me - a few weeks of job hunting with no salary in the meantime. For my Indian officemate (who received the same false promise of a month's extension), it is much more serious - unless he finds a job immediately, his legal resident status is in jeopardy. Excell deserves to be sued for this level of malfeasance. I would urge anyone to avoid Excell as long as this kind of incompetent (or dishonest - I'm still not sure which) behavior continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire managers who have a modicum of understanding of the MS product development process and who do not make false promises and then refuse to take responsibility for the results of their incompetence.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine Contracting Agency

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Excell Data

ProsOpen clear communication during review process, monthly checkups to see how contract is going/needs/wants. Good support from this contracting agency

ConsVery limiting not complete clause with hiring contract - 6 month limitation. This can be negotiated out just be aware.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement of contractors seems to be fine

Don't contract at Microsoft.

Software Test Engineer III (Former Employee)

I worked at Excell Data

ProsLow barrier to entry. Extrordinarily low expectations.

ConsEverything else. Low motivation, no respect, no advancement support. Wage slavery.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like people, not products. Provide career advancement support. Act as advocates for your employees (contractors) first instead of for your clients (Microsoft) first.

Excellent technical contract agency near Seattle

SDE II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Excell Data

ProsExcell has to be one of the best contract agencies to work with in the Seattle area. The company provides you with an HR rep, and most of them are very responsive and really get to know your needs as an employee. Their recruiters are also much better (admittedly, your mileage may vary) than other I've worked with in the past - much more able to match your needs and desires to a position that also matches your skillset. Other contract agencies I've worked for seem to try to place you, regardless of fit, simply to make their contingency.

They give you an "a la carte" benefit plan and pay based on a sliding scale for the benefits you take. Since their medical/dental benefits are average, I stuck with my wife's plan and it increased my hourly base substantially. Overall, if you're going to contract, this is the agency to do it with.

ConsThey fill a lot of positions at Microsoft. Almost to the exclusion of all others. That's only a downside if you'd rather not work there or if you need, or want, employment during that mandatory MS 100 day break each year. The benefits are pretty average, as agency benefits go - don't know if that's an upside or a downside. Their HR site (viewing payroll, time-off, etc) could use help... it's in, like, 4 different pieces, and you have to log in to each separately - more of a minor annoyance than anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have had no interaction with Compucom/Excell Data's management. The company is highly regarded, so I suppose they're doing something right.

One of the better contracting agencies

Program Manager II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Excell Data

ProsGood recruiters, helpful resource managers

ConsThe contract hourly pay is not that great. Other companies are paying higher rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay higher rates; showcase all the trainings/benefits/incentives that are provided to contractors in a much easier way

Worked for Excell Data? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Excell Data reviews and ratings in Redmond, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Excell Data CEO Rick Jorgensen. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Excell Data employees.