Excelligence Learning

Add Photos

Kelly Crampton

Considerate and honest management

I worked at Excelligence Learning

ProsStraight talk from managers but with sensitivity and encouragement.

ConsCould be a little more active with explaining company goals and future direction.

Once upon a time...

I worked at Excelligence Learning full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIn the beginning this was a great little company. The owner knew all the employees by name. Seemed to have a general interest in everyone. The pay was good for the time as were the benefits.

ConsFast forward to now... Owned by an equity firm that could care less about the people and more about getting THEIR money. Wages are terrible... No raises in over 6 years unless you get promoted and that is rare. Good people being let go left and right.
Benefits are terrible and expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time, step back and look at the mess you have made.

Dedicated employees, weak upper management

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Excelligence Learning full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun products, easy going work atmosphere, employees really care about the company and products.

ConsOwned by a private equity group who is only concerned about profits and not their employees. No raise in 6 years. Benefits subpar.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a vision to make us profitable, listen and implement advice from the line workers. Stand up to the private equity, and stop talking about making positive changes and make them.

Great company to work for!

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Excelligence Learning full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThough Excelligence is a mid-sized company, it is run a lot like a small company. That can be a good thing because there is a fair chance to "make your mark". It's a real team environment and everyone genuinely cares about one another. Many employees have been around for years (5, 10, 15 or more). Unlike a previous poster, I feel the compensation is fair for this area and the industry.

ConsThe office itself is pretty run down and isn't well maintained. Also, there are inconsistencies in the way employees are treated from department to department. Some can work from home, some may do so on occasion while others may not under any circumstances. It seems to be up to the department manager or senior management. This particular point undermines the typical team spirit but I am not sure there is any way around it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employee surveys and suggestions. Treat all employees and departments equally. Put some money into cleaning and upkeep of the work space so that people are happier to come to work every day.

Review

Purchasing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Excelligence Learning full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people and fantastic work/life balance. This company promotes from within and management cares about their employees.

ConsRecently bought out by a private equity firm that does not seem to abide by the Excelligence mission statement.

Good people, good products, wish the salary was competitive

I worked at Excelligence Learning full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of things to like about this company - many employees seem genuinely to like the products and each other. The culture includes fun events, decorating cubes for birthdays, etc. The products are actually helpful and working for educators and kids is a feel-good thing to do.

ConsThe salaries tend to be far below average for comparable jobs elsewhere, maybe because it is education, for sure because the company is based in Monterey and doesn't need to compete with Silicon Valley for talent. If they paid more, they'd better retain their talent.

Also, the call center employees, corporate employees and sales are all treated differently, with three levels of socio-economic treatment. It can make the culture feel weird.

Good place to work

I have been working at Excelligence Learning

ProsEstablished company with 25 years of experience.
Loved by customers for its great product selection and lowest prices with true 110% lowest price guarantee.

ConsBy serving schools and early childhood eduction establishments business of Excelligence has been negatively impacted in past years by hard recession and subsequent state and federal fund cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership position should be updated since Ron Elliott sold the company in 2011. Kelly Crampton is the new CEO since 2010 and he was successful in steering the company out of recessionary environment.

Worked for Excelligence Learning? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Excelligence Learning reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Excelligence Learning CEO Kelly Crampton. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Excelligence Learning employees.