Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

David H. Klein

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellus does a great job at balancing work-life priorities. It is a rewarding company to work for and senior management tries very hard at making it a great place to work. The company embraces diversity and inclusion and the compensation and benefit package is second to none. It's the kind of company you want to make a career out of.

Cons

As with many big corporations, Excellus is not very agile. Sometimes it takes too long to make changes necessary to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Excellus should work harder at facilitating change quicker.

Great summer!

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was an intern, everyone was extremely nice and friendly and I was never afraid to ask a lot of questions.

Cons

Location. I would like to work in a larger city and leave the NY region. Other than that I have very few cons about the actual experience.

Lack of any form of ethical behavior by management all the way to the top.

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and gym on site. Beyond that, unfortunately there isn't a lot to say. I couldn't even think of enough to hit the 20 word minimum here without adding these last two sentences.

Cons

The company claims to have good values and ethics. There are some good people. Unfortunately they don't get to make the final decisions. I have seen management knowingly lie about an employee. When the employee showed documented proof of the lies they were dismissed. I have seen nepotism where children, siblings and spouses hired and or promoted ahead of qualified long term employees trying to better themselves. There are many other things but the worst example of how poor this company is was demonstrated when a manager made racial slurs on multiple occasions and instead of that person being demoted, fired, or even reprimanded...they were PROMOTED after the documented incidents!! This specific incident had been "investigated and discussed" all the way up to the CEO at the time (David Klein). The top legal person at that time was Chris Booth (who is now the CEO). The final stand by the company was "Nothing happened". They forced the victims of this racists manager to either sue the company or be scared back into submission. This is a common tactic I have seen in many different instances. They pretty much say, "If you want to keep a job you will shut up and do as you are told."

Resign...........that is my advice to the top management. You have allowed some of the most unethical behavior I have ever witnessed on your watch. You take obscene salaries and claim our company is "not for profit". Stop paying the board of directors who meet once a month for a meeting more per year than your hardest working people in your customer service division.Stop sending out endless messages via email and posting posters around the buildings TELLING the employees that it is a "Great Place to Work". Instead lead by example and it might be a great place. Most of your best employees have quit, will quit or would quit if they weren't so scared of not having a job. Then they end up at your competition. Treat your customers with respect, not as a number. Your employees TRY to do this but the terrible management and their horrible decision making make it nearly impossible.
    I was one of those people scared to leave but have made the decision and will be gone before the snow falls this year! Good riddance!

Corporate Culture is changing for the better with new CEO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

I've worked here for more than 25 years and have seen a lot of changes. The company has always had excellent benefits, but there has been tension between some departments and regional offices in the past. The new CEO, Chris Booth, has been working to change the culture to promote pride, collaboration, open communications and employee empowerment, and I think it's starting to have a posiitve effect. I truly like the people I work with and work for.

Cons

With national health care reform, new products and changes to major operating systems, there can be a lot of stress to get things done right, on time and on budget. It's a very competitive industry, so there is addedd pressure to keep costs operating costs low and performance stardards high.

Stay the course. Culture change takes time , but I think as a company we're on the right path.

Great people, not so great leadership

Current Employee - Manager IT in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager IT in Rochester, NY

Pros

People care about each other, willing to help. Gym for employees in most locations.

Cons

No clear direction from leadership. Very reactive to the market and not innovative or proactive. Heavy red tape (processes) to get anything done.

Have a vision and strategy, make it clear to all employees. Portray that vision to your employees to be sure everyone is moving in the same direction.

Too much process, but top drawer co-workers and decent work/life balance. Some evidence of real improvement on the way.

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Pros

Benefits are slightly above average, but not enough so to be a deciding factor in working here. Salaries are OK for an economically depressed area like Rochester, but they aren't competitive nationally. It's possible to have a decent work/life balance. Co-workers are much better quality than some of the managers deserve. Very friendly and helpful co-workers. There is ample objective evidence that some parts of senior management are admitting that something is very wrong with the company culture, and some long overdue changes are in progress. The next several years are going to be interesting.

Cons

Too many problems are solved by adding yet another process and/or inspections. As W. Edwards Deming pointed out, you can't test or inspect quality into a product. US manufacturing learned that the hard way, and still hasn't recovered from that mentality.

We need more leadership, which I define as "doing the right thing", and less management, which I define as "doing things right". If you're doing the wrong thing, it doesn't matter how well you do it; you need to STOP DOING IT NOW.

Good Pay, stressful environment

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Management does not want to hear about issues.

Cons

Stressful. Projects are not completed fully with no accountability for the fallout. Just check the box and move on to the next project without any quality review after implementation.

Project sponsor need to be accountable for shabby and incomplete work.

Community Focused

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Pros

Community Focused and good benefits

Cons

Navigating a new market is challenging

Very poor overpaid management , who make very poor decisions which leads to very costly insurance.

Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The insurance used to be free, not any more. You used to get health insurance when you retired, not any more. The employee used to part of the business , not any more

Cons

Not what you know , but who you know . In the long run , and its very obvious today, out sourcing has cost the consumer thousands of premium dollars and the company many good people and jobs . The new business systems still don't work properly , ten years later . Such a shame .

When you make business mistakes , admit it and do something else or try improving what applications and products you have. The attitude of do or die , has almost put you out of business.. Ohhh that right you can just raise the consumers rates. Listen to your employees , who are now afraid to say anything , and remove the supervisors, managers and directors that have been worthless for so long , especially IT and Customer Service .

Good, solid company to work for

Former Employee - Account Consultant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Consultant in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, location, company values, time off policies, pension plan and 401k

Cons

work life balance, career opportunities somewhat limited