Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

David H. Klein

Corporate Culture is changing for the better with new CEO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked here for more than 25 years and have seen a lot of changes. The company has always had excellent benefits, but there has been tension between some departments and regional offices in the past. The new CEO, Chris Booth, has been working to change the culture to promote pride, collaboration, open communications and employee empowerment, and I think it's starting to have a posiitve effect. I truly like the people I work with and work for.

Cons

With national health care reform, new products and changes to major operating systems, there can be a lot of stress to get things done right, on time and on budget. It's a very competitive industry, so there is addedd pressure to keep costs operating costs low and performance stardards high.

Stay the course. Culture change takes time , but I think as a company we're on the right path.

Too much process, but top drawer co-workers and decent work/life balance. Some evidence of real improvement on the way.

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Pros

Benefits are slightly above average, but not enough so to be a deciding factor in working here. Salaries are OK for an economically depressed area like Rochester, but they aren't competitive nationally. It's possible to have a decent work/life balance. Co-workers are much better quality than some of the managers deserve. Very friendly and helpful co-workers. There is ample objective evidence that some parts of senior management are admitting that something is very wrong with the company culture, and some long overdue changes are in progress. The next several years are going to be interesting.

Cons

Too many problems are solved by adding yet another process and/or inspections. As W. Edwards Deming pointed out, you can't test or inspect quality into a product. US manufacturing learned that the hard way, and still hasn't recovered from that mentality.

We need more leadership, which I define as "doing the right thing", and less management, which I define as "doing things right". If you're doing the wrong thing, it doesn't matter how well you do it; you need to STOP DOING IT NOW.

Great people, not so great leadership

Current Employee - Manager IT  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager IT in Rochester, NY

Pros

People care about each other, willing to help. Gym for employees in most locations.

Cons

No clear direction from leadership. Very reactive to the market and not innovative or proactive. Heavy red tape (processes) to get anything done.

Have a vision and strategy, make it clear to all employees. Portray that vision to your employees to be sure everyone is moving in the same direction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Pay, stressful environment

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Management does not want to hear about issues.

Cons

Stressful. Projects are not completed fully with no accountability for the fallout. Just check the box and move on to the next project without any quality review after implementation.

Project sponsor need to be accountable for shabby and incomplete work.

Community Focused

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Pros

Community Focused and good benefits

Cons

Navigating a new market is challenging

Very poor overpaid management , who make very poor decisions which leads to very costly insurance.

Former Employee - IT  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The insurance used to be free, not any more. You used to get health insurance when you retired, not any more. The employee used to part of the business , not any more

Cons

Not what you know , but who you know . In the long run , and its very obvious today, out sourcing has cost the consumer thousands of premium dollars and the company many good people and jobs . The new business systems still don't work properly , ten years later . Such a shame .

When you make business mistakes , admit it and do something else or try improving what applications and products you have. The attitude of do or die , has almost put you out of business.. Ohhh that right you can just raise the consumers rates. Listen to your employees , who are now afraid to say anything , and remove the supervisors, managers and directors that have been worthless for so long , especially IT and Customer Service .

Good, solid company to work for

Former Employee - Account Consultant  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Consultant in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, location, company values, time off policies, pension plan and 401k

Cons

work life balance, career opportunities somewhat limited

Political Nightmare especially in IT

Former Employee - IT Staff
    Former Employee - IT Staff

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are looking for a company where you pretend to work hard and estimate your assignment to take a long time then this is the IT shop for you to join. The new CIO brought in all of his croonies to have upper mgmt positions and trying to put in new processes within a shop that can't keep people in their positions and/or a project. Resources are moved from project to project and little transition. Contract staff is used a lot but treated poorly.

Cons

As a IT paygrade of 209 don't expect over 90K which is way lower than other companies for this senior level. IT has a lot of good ole boys....so be prepared to fight this issue. If you are a strong worker this is not the company for you. People talk bad about each other and the back stabbing is at a prime.

Go back to Chicago BC/BS - we know this is a stepping stone for you and your croonies.

IT intern

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Faith in interns to meet real objectives and complete projects that they USED

Cons

Very inefficient, many employees are not motivated to change to make improvments

Excellent place to work. Exceptional benefits and personnel is an extended family.

Former Employee - Claims Examiner II  in  Little Utica, NY
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner II in Little Utica, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Continue Education
    Health, dental, insurance,
    401K
    Paid holidays
    On-line training available
    Supportive staff
    Telecommuting positions

Cons

No cons,offer flex schedule. Very accommodating for time off. Helpful in balancing your home -work life.

Keep on listening to the employees. Thanks for the tremendous opportunity to work for such a great company.

Worked for Excellus BlueCross BlueShield? Contribute to the Community!