Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region

Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014

David H. Klein

Good company with great people!

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region

Pros

Decent company to work for. The people are wonderful. Many departments have great management.

Cons

Some departments struggle with process changes and managers who are resistant to change. Promotions are slow and hard to come by.

All Aboard ...

Former Employee - Support in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Support in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. The people are great. The company wants to be great.

Cons

Middle Management misses the mark every time. they might get the memos, but they aren't reading them.

Upper management is too trusting of middle managers - they are cutting the legs out from under you!

Great Place to Intern

Former Employee - Marketing & Sales in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing & Sales in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a Marketing & Sales Intern. They set up a ton of events for all interns and really enhances the summer experience. We had the opportunity to meet with many executives & even lunch with the CEO, Chris Booth who is very down to earth & enjoyable to chat with.

Cons

Free parking/parking reimbursement is one suggestion. Interns make a decent amount but parking takes away over a 1/3 of our pay.

Not a fair and ethical company

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (more than 10 years)

Pros

There was the opportunity to cross-train or transfer to different departments.

Cons

The let go many workers that were dedicated to the company and good workers because they were getting closer to the 30 year mark. Cause employees not to get unemployment sometimes. Unable to prove anything even with a paper trail because they can hire the best lawyers.

Bring back the company that use to be a place people liked working for.

Working at Excellus

Pros

Nice and professional people. Friendly atmosphere. Good pay and benefits. I worked there 9 years and enjoyed most of it. Professional and smart people, it's a place you can work at forever and retire. Most people there were long term employees. Nice cafeteria and good food.

Cons

The reorganization in 2009-2011 and beyond was handled poorly. Couldn't trust anyone and decisions were made on what seemed like a whim. Inefficiencies and many people doing the same thing that wasted money and didn't make a difference.

Listen to your staff about making improvements in workflow.

Actuarial Support

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to learn and people are very willing to teach you.

Cons

There is a tendency to be a bit rigid and not practices flexibility.

Great place to work and has a good work/life balance.

Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and an excellent place to work.

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep up the good work!

Excellus Does Not Value Their Employees or Their Health

Former Employee - Corporate Audit in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Audit in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hard work iand dedication is expected, yet it isn't rewarded

Cons

After 5 years of dedicated and flawless service, I was informed that my position was "back filled" as a result of being removed from work as a result of a workers compensation claim and my medical condition. Excellus knew that I was planning to return to work, I contacted them in attempt to establish a return to work plan. The same day HR responded they also informed me that my position was "back filled" even though my doctor authorized my return to work on the same day.

This goes to show that they expect employees to be loyal and dedicated and after 5years of serivce they showed no regard for my health and well being.

To listen to employees, fix management problems rather than ignore them. Recognize and reward the people who make contributions to the company, rather than rewarding poor management.

If asked, I would go back - providing that I had a supervisor who was more involved and cared about his/her employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Excellent benefits and market value pay.

Cons

Mis-managed, promotions are made for who you know and the clothes you wear - not the work you do. No mentoring of employees - no coaching to make them better. Will not address new ideas for future sustainbility.

Utilize your employees talents and knowledge. Listen to them. Promote according to skills not who someone knows!

advancement not possible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region

Pros

it is the health care industry so you do get to help other as a third party payer

Cons

you are never able to advance in your position. you may ask for shadowing, mentoring, or advancement but you will never obtain it. the company is driven by years of experience not knowledge. if you have a bachelor or masters degree don't bother with the company because they will not help you move forward. the company is also driven by people in managment/senior level positions that do not even have their 4 yr degree. the company also only generates $22 of revenue per member which is not conducive to a profitable company. i understand it is not for profit but a company still needs to make more than $22 per member.

promote individuals based on their knowledge and degree. stop promoting individuals based on experience. a person with a masters or bachelors is worth more than a person with an associates degree and 8 yrs experience. promote mentoring etc... it's almost pointless to even write this becase management doesn't listen anyway