Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David H. Klein

Good company with great people!

ProsDecent company to work for. The people are wonderful. Many departments have great management.

ConsSome departments struggle with process changes and managers who are resistant to change. Promotions are slow and hard to come by.

Great Place to Intern

Marketing & Sales (Former Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsI worked as a Marketing & Sales Intern. They set up a ton of events for all interns and really enhances the summer experience. We had the opportunity to meet with many executives & even lunch with the CEO, Chris Booth who is very down to earth & enjoyable to chat with.

ConsFree parking/parking reimbursement is one suggestion. Interns make a decent amount but parking takes away over a 1/3 of our pay.

Not a fair and ethical company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was the opportunity to cross-train or transfer to different departments.

ConsThe let go many workers that were dedicated to the company and good workers because they were getting closer to the 30 year mark. Cause employees not to get unemployment sometimes. Unable to prove anything even with a paper trail because they can hire the best lawyers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the company that use to be a place people liked working for.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Excellus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice and professional people. Friendly atmosphere. Good pay and benefits. I worked there 9 years and enjoyed most of it. Professional and smart people, it's a place you can work at forever and retire. Most people there were long term employees. Nice cafeteria and good food.

ConsThe reorganization in 2009-2011 and beyond was handled poorly. Couldn't trust anyone and decisions were made on what seemed like a whim. Inefficiencies and many people doing the same thing that wasted money and didn't make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff about making improvements in workflow.

Actuarial Support

Rochester, NY

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to learn and people are very willing to teach you.

ConsThere is a tendency to be a bit rigid and not practices flexibility.

Great place to work and has a good work/life balance.

Manager, Project Management (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsGood people and an excellent place to work.

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Excellus Does Not Value Their Employees or Their Health

Corporate Audit (Former Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsHard work iand dedication is expected, yet it isn't rewarded

ConsAfter 5 years of dedicated and flawless service, I was informed that my position was "back filled" as a result of being removed from work as a result of a workers compensation claim and my medical condition. Excellus knew that I was planning to return to work, I contacted them in attempt to establish a return to work plan. The same day HR responded they also informed me that my position was "back filled" even though my doctor authorized my return to work on the same day.

This goes to show that they expect employees to be loyal and dedicated and after 5years of serivce they showed no regard for my health and well being.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo listen to employees, fix management problems rather than ignore them. Recognize and reward the people who make contributions to the company, rather than rewarding poor management.

If asked, I would go back - providing that I had a supervisor who was more involved and cared about his/her employees.

Rochester, NY

ProsExcellent benefits and market value pay.

ConsMis-managed, promotions are made for who you know and the clothes you wear - not the work you do. No mentoring of employees - no coaching to make them better. Will not address new ideas for future sustainbility.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize your employees talents and knowledge. Listen to them. Promote according to skills not who someone knows!

advancement not possible

Rochester, NY

Prosit is the health care industry so you do get to help other as a third party payer

Consyou are never able to advance in your position. you may ask for shadowing, mentoring, or advancement but you will never obtain it. the company is driven by years of experience not knowledge. if you have a bachelor or masters degree don't bother with the company because they will not help you move forward. the company is also driven by people in managment/senior level positions that do not even have their 4 yr degree. the company also only generates $22 of revenue per member which is not conducive to a profitable company. i understand it is not for profit but a company still needs to make more than $22 per member.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote individuals based on their knowledge and degree. stop promoting individuals based on experience. a person with a masters or bachelors is worth more than a person with an associates degree and 8 yrs experience. promote mentoring etc... it's almost pointless to even write this becase management doesn't listen anyway

Excellus BCBS

Data Architect (Former Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsGood recognition and feedback for tasks. People are generally pretty helpful and there is room for advancement. The parking is pretty cheap and for an internship they were very helpful with getting things rolling. There were some tough deadlines but they were all pretty reasonable. There are always people willing to help you succeed.

ConsSome of the upper level management are reluctant to switch to newer technologies. Also there was several desk moves over my 6 month stay. The managers could communicate a little more and there is a very poor amount of documentation in the code. Some of the technologies used there are quite outdated and buggy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more and research new technologies that could help further the software and website of the company. More information needs to be given to customers.

Worked for Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region CEO David H. Klein. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region employees.