Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

1. Server Analyst Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Rochester, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This internship was an amazing experience. I learned an astonishing amount of information that I have applied frequently to my class work and personal projects. I made friends with my colleagues and still meet them for lunch whenever I am home on break.

Cons

During my time at Excellus the CIO resigned. I justifiably put in my application for the newly open position with hopes of starting a new career. To my dismay I was never called back nor given any additional details other than that "I was not qualified enough" for why I did not get the position.

2. Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around in the company and learn new things. If you keep up with the changes and keep a positive attitude while changes are going on, then you will do great.

Cons

To many VP's with "created" positions that are not needed. It's important to keep all employees trained on new technology that is installed on the systems.

Advice to Management

This company is moving in a good direction and keeping up with the ever changing world of Healthcare. Keep up the good work.

3. Great benefits as expected from a healthcare carrier.

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield

Pros

Benefits- Health Insurance, vacation/sick/holiday time off, work environment, work -life balance.

Cons

Slightly lower salary ranges, but that is more location then company.

5. IT Intern

Former Intern - IT Intern in Rochester, NY
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great boss that treated me like a regular employee. There were many events as part of the intern program. Also HR was pretty great in handling anything we needed.

Cons

Although it was a great internship, I would never work there. The company as a whole seems like they are falling behind especially tech wise.

Advice to Management

Be more hands on.

6. I felt respected and was tasked with my level of work

Former Intern - Broker Administration and Sales Performance Division in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People were awesome and friendly. Work environment was not to crowded, I felt like i had my own space.

Cons

I didn't receive enough work for the period of time I spent there. When i wanted to go above and beyond my work I was held back.

Advice to Management

I would suggest team projects for interns to do in addition to the work they are assigned.

7. Almost chaotic work environment

Former Employee - Contract Senior Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Contract Senior Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield (Less than a year)

Pros

-Interesting IT projects --- never short of work to be completed. -Other IT Project Managers, and some of the business sponsors are very helpful and eager to work together -Nice on-boarding process, but it lacks an overview of business managers, how they are organized. It is critical in such a large company.

Cons

-Management treats Contract PM's like a pair of shoes they no longer like; moved from project to project with no up-front mention. -Very high turn-over rate: I was handed an in-flight project where the previous PM had merely walked out. -There was a process in place to enforce project standards. (this is good!) However be prepared if you wish to make a suggestion, or merely provide input .. -PMO organization provides little to no consultative advice or training to newer PMs to the company . -Overalll, 'sink or swim' work environment.

Advice to Management

-Start showing some respect for your contractors , they may stay longer. -It is hard to see a path for career advancement with so much management re-organizations & process changes.

8. Great summer!

Former Intern - Actuarial Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Former Intern - Actuarial Analyst in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern, everyone was extremely nice and friendly and I was never afraid to ask a lot of questions.

Cons

Location. I would like to work in a larger city and leave the NY region. Other than that I have very few cons about the actual experience.

9. Corporate Culture is changing for the better with new CEO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked here for more than 25 years and have seen a lot of changes. The company has always had excellent benefits, but there has been tension between some departments and regional offices in the past. The new CEO, Chris Booth, has been working to change the culture to promote pride, collaboration, open communications and employee empowerment, and I think it's starting to have a posiitve effect. I truly like the people I work with and work for.

Cons

With national health care reform, new products and changes to major operating systems, there can be a lot of stress to get things done right, on time and on budget. It's a very competitive industry, so there is addedd pressure to keep costs operating costs low and performance stardards high.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Culture change takes time , but I think as a company we're on the right path.

Great people, not so great leadership

Current Employee - Manager IT in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager IT in Rochester, NY

Pros

People care about each other, willing to help. Gym for employees in most locations.

Cons

No clear direction from leadership. Very reactive to the market and not innovative or proactive. Heavy red tape (processes) to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Have a vision and strategy, make it clear to all employees. Portray that vision to your employees to be sure everyone is moving in the same direction.

Very poor overpaid management , who make very poor decisions which leads to very costly insurance.

Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY

I worked at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The insurance used to be free, not any more. You used to get health insurance when you retired, not any more. The employee used to part of the business , not any more

Cons

Not what you know , but who you know . In the long run , and its very obvious today, out sourcing has cost the consumer thousands of premium dollars and the company many good people and jobs . The new business systems still don't work properly , ten years later . Such a shame .

Advice to Management

When you make business mistakes , admit it and do something else or try improving what applications and products you have. The attitude of do or die , has almost put you out of business.. Ohhh that right you can just raise the consumers rates. Listen to your employees , who are now afraid to say anything , and remove the supervisors, managers and directors that have been worthless for so long , especially IT and Customer Service .

RSS Feed </> Embed