Excelsior Youth Center

2.4

Arnold Goldstein

Laid Back Job

I have been working at Excelsior Youth Center

Pros

Good Pay
    SImple Task
    Nice People

Cons

Angry Parents
    Can Get Boring
    Some Tense Situations

People are great, but the danger is too high.

Former Employee - Campus Counselor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Campus Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with, the pay is not bad, the training is very good, and there is always free coffee, lattes, and hot chocolate.

Cons

The work is very dangerous without a lot of options. In order to be safe you have to talk violent teenage girls into not being violent. There is very little that can be done.

Try and figure out how to support your staff while upholding the safety of the girls.

Loved the counseling aspect but the way things were handled and run was a joke.

Former Employee - Group Living Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping girls learn how to deal with their past in order to create a better future

Cons

I worked my butt off and often picked up extra shifts and extra duties and was hardly recognized for going above and beyond expectations

When you have a hard worker and they need a day of rest its not a good idea to terminate them and say you are using them as an example when several other employees slacked and called in for bogus reasons.

Would make more working at Mcdoanlds

Former Employee - Group Living Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding experience working with the girls.

Cons

Way too stressful environment, They pay you a lot less than other treatment centers. Heavy work load. Always required to stay later than your scheduled shift. Staff doesn't back each other up, no rules are concrete for the girls. Each staff member enforces their own set of rules . Therapists set unrealistic goals for the girls. There is no effective discipline system in place. No room for advancement.

Management is a bunch of old fashioned bitter ladies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has a cafateria on site where you can eat at0-workers are great

Cons

low pay. Outdated mentality. The budget for the food has been cut and it's not very good.

Dangerous due to lack of support from administrators

Former Employee - Group Living Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No degree is required in order to be hired, some tuition reimbursement is available, health insurance is provided, regular raises are given regardless of merit. There are some well-meaning people in lower management and entry-level positions.

Cons

Very stressful, dangerous, and grinding. Administrators make good money, but regular employees do not. After a client committed suicide and several unsuccessful attempts by others, the administration decided to take on fewer mental health clients and more criminal clients without increasing staff presence. This created a dangerous environment for other clients as well as staff.

The very bare-bones staffing approach means that there is a great deal of pressure to never call in sick regardless of how sick you are. Let me share two examples. First, I had a direct supervisor tell me that the only reason I can call in sick is if I cannot leave the bathroom due to diarrhea or vomiting. If I had other symptoms, then I was told to come in anyway. Second, I had the flu once on the same day as a massive blizzard that snowed in my car. I called in sick and this same manager told me to get a doctor's note or else I would be penalized for my absence. There was no public transportation and no snow plows so I had to walk 2 miles in thigh-high snow to the doctor's office to get the doctor's note, which the doctor provided because I was really sick. Then I had to walk 2 miles back home. It took me most of the day! Instead of resting and recovering, I had to jump through hoops to satisfy a suspicious boss who thought I was enjoying a fun snow day when I said I was actually sick.

I worked in the living units called "cottages" and I also worked in the on-site high school. I spent years in each setting. It is the same kind of problems in both areas. It is an institution-wide problem.

The reason I left was because I was ordered into dangerous situations alone with multiple dangerous clients and no peer support. This happened time and time again. During my last month, I was injured twice in the same month and decided that I owed it to my family to find a safer job.

The burnout rate is high so the turnover is high. If you like being disrespected, insulted, threatened, and unsupported, this is the place for you. If you value advancement opportunities, work/life balance, supportive senior management, or a positive workplace, find a job somewhere else.

Do not give yourselves another raise at the expense of the safety of your employees. Hire more employees that work directly with clients. Putting fewer staff with more clients is a recipe for disaster.

excellent service to girls with important mental health problems

Former Employee - Psychologist in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Psychologist in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

staff ratio about 1 - 1, good clinical support to licensed care providers

Cons

forced to take more than they can really handle due to financial - regulatory pressures

keep up the good work

Helping kids great, work environment/employee support poor.

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center

Pros

Helping the kids, is the best aspect. Its what almost 'makes' you come back to work day in and day out. As with many jobs working with at-risk youth it is tough hard work, but that should be expected and not held as a negative towards the company. The training is great!

Teamwork amongst the hardest workers (grunts) is amazing, comrade-re is top notch. About half of the therapists are outstanding, and really do well with helping the kids. I have seen many clients leave EYC better people, and continue to be successful.

Cons

Employee support is minimal to non-existent. Many employees are deprived of bonuses due to calling in sick. When concerns are voiced in order to make improvement, they are seen as a negative. The upper level management has some great folks, but a few are unfortunately lost in regards to providing the leadership that they should. The 'few' obviously, happen to be the top dogs in the company. The others, mostly supervisors, are also subject to less then logical requirements in sustaining employee job performance. Also, turnover is so bad, that you often will feel the weight of carrying the load, on what is already an extremely difficult job. There is not much understanding of employee morale needs, which eventually fosters burn out.

Support employees more in the way of identifying lack luster performance from top level management, and hold them to a higher level of performance. In other words, if they are not being 'leaders', then why are they making the big decisions? Provide a better communication network when dealing with reprimands. Allow employees/supervisors to actively improve the state of the environment. Arnie himself is a great leader/guy, but I think he turns a blind eye towards some of the pore management, and the staff see it.

Great, but be strong

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center

Pros

This facility will test your patience and competence as a counselor, no question about it.

Benefits come from working to help an at-risk child find their way

Cons

can be uber stressful if you arent aware of how the tasks affect you personally.

upper management is pretty sorry overall, not running a very effective business. Could use some change in administration to pursue a more coherent business model. Perhaps typical of non profits?