Excelsior Youth Center Reviews

Updated January 27, 2015
12 reviews filtered by
2.3
Arnold Goldstein

1. Ever changing to meet the needs of the community.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Excelsior Youth Center

Pros

I love the people. So many compassionate individuals who take care of each other and the clients.

Cons

With change communication is key. More people need to be involved in the conversation.

Advice to Management

When promoting someone to a supervisory position, offer a training course or two on interpersonal communication and leadership.

2. Overnight Cottage Counselor

Former Employee - Overnight Cottage Counselor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Overnight Cottage Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center

Pros

Before I left we were told that the more dangerous girls were going to be transferred out, so it'll be a little bit safer.
    Your purpose is to help the girls.
    A lot of new experiences.
    Over time is always available and encouraged
    Decent health care options with HSAs available.

Cons

Overtime is basically mandatory.
    Hiring staff say you'll get off work around 10, 10:30 am when really it's 12 most days and you have to be back in less than 12 hours.
    Too many bosses to answer to who don't agree on employee methods.
    All unit managers handle their cottages differently so there is no standard.
    Staff disregard cottage restrictions.
    Staff fail to communicate well.
    Supervisors are overworked and can't be everywhere at once.
    They don't care if you're sick. If you call in the requested four hours in advance, they will guilt you and threaten your job to make you go to work..
    Unit managers undermine counselors authority in regards to rules (i.e. changing a rule they made after staff spent hours telling the girls "no".
    Unit managers also fail to take predetermined meetings seriously and didn't show up multiple times then set a double standard for counselors who miss staff meetings.
    This job was depressing.
    High stress.
    Contacting girls parents every time they rand away or had to be physically managed.
    Physically managed was sometimes referred to as "Keeping you safe" and I felt that it is an inappropriate euphemism.
    There were no real consequences for the girls who didn't follow rules. They always got what they want.
    The Intervention Unit rarely responded to calls when the cottage was in crisis.
    Personally, I was rarely healthy anymore after being hired here. I was always sick and always stressed.

Advice to Management

This facility is basically meant to reform these violent, criminal girls into girls who can cope with their pasts and move forward to a productive and happy future while understanding and following laws and rules. Don't treat the staff like clients.

3. Teacher Assistant

I have been working at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Get experience in school/treatment facilities
    Meet new people in the same profession

Cons

Horrible follow thru
    Dangerous environment
    No real consequences for threatening behavior
    low pay
    Principal micromanages the school
    high turn over so no one knows what they are doing over half the time
    No structure
    Very abusive environment
    No teaching and real treatment ( more like a daycare)

Advice to Management

Get it together- treat your staff better- pay your TA's a little more money or give more appreciation

5. People are great, but the danger is too high.

Former Employee - Campus Counselor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Campus Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with, the pay is not bad, the training is very good, and there is always free coffee, lattes, and hot chocolate.

Cons

The work is very dangerous without a lot of options. In order to be safe you have to talk violent teenage girls into not being violent. There is very little that can be done.

Advice to Management

Try and figure out how to support your staff while upholding the safety of the girls.

6. Laid Back Job

I have been working at Excelsior Youth Center

Pros

Good Pay
    SImple Task
    Nice People

Cons

Angry Parents
    Can Get Boring
    Some Tense Situations

7. Loved the counseling aspect but the way things were handled and run was a joke.

Former Employee - Group Living Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Helping girls learn how to deal with their past in order to create a better future

Cons

I worked my butt off and often picked up extra shifts and extra duties and was hardly recognized for going above and beyond expectations

Advice to Management

When you have a hard worker and they need a day of rest its not a good idea to terminate them and say you are using them as an example when several other employees slacked and called in for bogus reasons.

8. Would make more working at Mcdoanlds

Former Employee - Group Living Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding experience working with the girls.

Cons

Way too stressful environment, They pay you a lot less than other treatment centers. Heavy work load. Always required to stay later than your scheduled shift. Staff doesn't back each other up, no rules are concrete for the girls. Each staff member enforces their own set of rules . Therapists set unrealistic goals for the girls. There is no effective discipline system in place. No room for advancement.

9. Management is a bunch of old fashioned bitter ladies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Has a cafateria on site where you can eat at0-workers are great

Cons

low pay. Outdated mentality. The budget for the food has been cut and it's not very good.

10. Dangerous due to lack of support from administrators

Former Employee - Group Living Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No degree is required in order to be hired, some tuition reimbursement is available, health insurance is provided, regular raises are given regardless of merit. There are some well-meaning people in lower management and entry-level positions.

Cons

Very stressful, dangerous, and grinding. Administrators make good money, but regular employees do not. After a client committed suicide and several unsuccessful attempts by others, the administration decided to take on fewer mental health clients and more criminal clients without increasing staff presence. This created a dangerous environment for other clients as well as staff.

The very bare-bones staffing approach means that there is a great deal of pressure to never call in sick regardless of how sick you are. Let me share two examples. First, I had a direct supervisor tell me that the only reason I can call in sick is if I cannot leave the bathroom due to diarrhea or vomiting. If I had other symptoms, then I was told to come in anyway. Second, I had the flu once on the same day as a massive blizzard that snowed in my car. I called in sick and this same manager told me to get a doctor's note or else I would be penalized for my absence. There was no public transportation and no snow plows so I had to walk 2 miles in thigh-high snow to the doctor's office to get the doctor's note, which the doctor provided because I was really sick. Then I had to walk 2 miles back home. It took me most of the day! Instead of resting and recovering, I had to jump through hoops to satisfy a suspicious boss who thought I was enjoying a fun snow day when I said I was actually sick.

I worked in the living units called "cottages" and I also worked in the on-site high school. I spent years in each setting. It is the same kind of problems in both areas. It is an institution-wide problem.

The reason I left was because I was ordered into dangerous situations alone with multiple dangerous clients and no peer support. This happened time and time again. During my last month, I was injured twice in the same month and decided that I owed it to my family to find a safer job.

The burnout rate is high so the turnover is high. If you like being disrespected, insulted, threatened, and unsupported, this is the place for you. If you value advancement opportunities, work/life balance, supportive senior management, or a positive workplace, find a job somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Do not give yourselves another raise at the expense of the safety of your employees. Hire more employees that work directly with clients. Putting fewer staff with more clients is a recipe for disaster.

11. excellent service to girls with important mental health problems

Former Contractor - Psychologist in Aurora, CO
    Former Contractor - Psychologist in Aurora, CO

I worked at Excelsior Youth Center as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

staff ratio about 1 - 1, good clinical support to licensed care providers

Cons

forced to take more than they can really handle due to financial - regulatory pressures

Advice to Management

keep up the good work