Excelsior Youth Center

Nice People

ConsAngry Parents
    Can Get Boring
    Some Tense Situations

Loved the counseling aspect but the way things were handled and run was a joke.

Aurora, CO

ProsHelping girls learn how to deal with their past in order to create a better future

ConsI worked my butt off and often picked up extra shifts and extra duties and was hardly recognized for going above and beyond expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have a hard worker and they need a day of rest its not a good idea to terminate them and say you are using them as an example when several other employees slacked and called in for bogus reasons.

Would make more working at Mcdoanlds

Aurora, CO

ProsRewarding experience working with the girls.

ConsWay too stressful environment, They pay you a lot less than other treatment centers. Heavy work load. Always required to stay later than your scheduled shift. Staff doesn't back each other up, no rules are concrete for the girls. Each staff member enforces their own set of rules . Therapists set unrealistic goals for the girls. There is no effective discipline system in place. No room for advancement.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management is a bunch of old fashioned bitter ladies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHas a cafateria on site where you can eat at0-workers are great

Conslow pay. Outdated mentality. The budget for the food has been cut and it's not very good.

Dangerous due to lack of support from administrators

Aurora, CO

ProsNo degree is required in order to be hired, some tuition reimbursement is available, health insurance is provided, regular raises are given regardless of merit. There are some well-meaning people in lower management and entry-level positions.

ConsVery stressful, dangerous, and grinding. Administrators make good money, but regular employees do not. After a client committed suicide and several unsuccessful attempts by others, the administration decided to take on fewer mental health clients and more criminal clients without increasing staff presence. This created a dangerous environment for other clients as well as staff.

The very bare-bones staffing approach means that there is a great deal of pressure to never call in sick regardless of how sick you are. Let me share two examples. First, I had a direct supervisor tell me that the only reason I can call in sick is if I cannot leave the bathroom due to diarrhea or vomiting. If I had other symptoms, then I was told to come in anyway. Second, I had the flu once on the same day as a massive blizzard that snowed in my car. I called in sick and this same manager told me to get a doctor's note or else I would be penalized for my absence. There was no public transportation and no snow plows so I had to walk 2 miles in thigh-high snow to the doctor's office to get the doctor's note, which the doctor provided because I was really sick. Then I had to walk 2 miles back home. It took me most of the day! Instead of resting and recovering, I had to jump through hoops to satisfy a suspicious boss who thought I was enjoying a fun snow day when I said I was actually sick.

I worked in the living units called "cottages" and I also worked in the on-site high school. I spent years in each setting. It is the same kind of problems in both areas. It is an institution-wide problem.

The reason I left was because I was ordered into dangerous situations alone with multiple dangerous clients and no peer support. This happened time and time again. During my last month, I was injured twice in the same month and decided that I owed it to my family to find a safer job.

The burnout rate is high so the turnover is high. If you like being disrespected, insulted, threatened, and unsupported, this is the place for you. If you value advancement opportunities, work/life balance, supportive senior management, or a positive workplace, find a job somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not give yourselves another raise at the expense of the safety of your employees. Hire more employees that work directly with clients. Putting fewer staff with more clients is a recipe for disaster.

excellent service to girls with important mental health problems

Psychologist (Former Employee)

Prosstaff ratio about 1 - 1, good clinical support to licensed care providers

Consforced to take more than they can really handle due to financial - regulatory pressures

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Helping kids great, work environment/employee support poor.

Aurora, CO

ProsHelping the kids, is the best aspect. Its what almost 'makes' you come back to work day in and day out. As with many jobs working with at-risk youth it is tough hard work, but that should be expected and not held as a negative towards the company. The training is great!

Teamwork amongst the hardest workers (grunts) is amazing, comrade-re is top notch. About half of the therapists are outstanding, and really do well with helping the kids. I have seen many clients leave EYC better people, and continue to be successful.

ConsEmployee support is minimal to non-existent. Many employees are deprived of bonuses due to calling in sick. When concerns are voiced in order to make improvement, they are seen as a negative. The upper level management has some great folks, but a few are unfortunately lost in regards to providing the leadership that they should. The 'few' obviously, happen to be the top dogs in the company. The others, mostly supervisors, are also subject to less then logical requirements in sustaining employee job performance. Also, turnover is so bad, that you often will feel the weight of carrying the load, on what is already an extremely difficult job. There is not much understanding of employee morale needs, which eventually fosters burn out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport employees more in the way of identifying lack luster performance from top level management, and hold them to a higher level of performance. In other words, if they are not being 'leaders', then why are they making the big decisions? Provide a better communication network when dealing with reprimands. Allow employees/supervisors to actively improve the state of the environment. Arnie himself is a great leader/guy, but I think he turns a blind eye towards some of the pore management, and the staff see it.

Great, but be strong

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis facility will test your patience and competence as a counselor, no question about it.

Benefits come from working to help an at-risk child find their way

Conscan be uber stressful if you arent aware of how the tasks affect you personally.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management is pretty sorry overall, not running a very effective business. Could use some change in administration to pursue a more coherent business model. Perhaps typical of non profits?

Worked for Excelsior Youth Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Excelsior Youth Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Excelsior Youth Center CEO Arnold Goldstein. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Excelsior Youth Center employees.