Exel

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Gilbert

Pros
  • The pay is very good, opportunity for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Plenty of opportunity for advancement if you're willing to move around (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, work-life balance does not exist, inconsistent hours, lack of communication between managers and associates (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management does not communicate with each other and so gives conflicting orders (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It's been good and not so good for some.

Local Delivery Driver (Current Employee) La Vergne, TN

ProsHas great insurance, same pay as most companies in La Vergne, TN, get 10-14 days paid vacation for 1 year of service. Easy runs to Nissan and back to warehouse for the drivers.

ConsWill fire you for little things that you do, especially if you are a forklift operator. We have many fired or just quit for some of the rules and attitude of upper management.

Intern/Part-time Supervisor

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Ontario, CA

Pros- People
    - Fast growing company

ConsUpper management is very unorganized and keeps information from the supervisors which effects the quickly very directly. Lacks a lot of culture even though they try to emphasis it. Long hours and reward system is when they feel like it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less secretive, actually go help the employees on the warehouse floor and not just sit in your office and do nothing.

Supervisor Review

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros4 day work weeks are very nice, however there are some overtime weeks on very short notice. The company has gotten a lot better with inventory management and efficiency which has extremely decreased the amount of overtime. Management is friendly and always has the open door policy. Associates are usually hard workers, but the select few can give supervisors a headache.

ConsVery high paced environment with things changing on a daily/weekly basis. A very large amount of paperwork for all associates on a monthly basis. HR does not manage associate hours, it is up to the supervisor and if you work on the night shift there is no HR to discuss with. The hours for night shift are bad. The company is in decline for the specific account so the associates are let out early, usually supervisors need to stay even if there is barely any work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBi-weekly meetings can be a hassle along with the outside company functions. Supervisors do not get recognized for their work besides a pat on the back.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity for growth, but low paying.

Lead (Current Employee)

ProsThis company likes to promote from within, and there are plenty of opportunities to move all over the country if that is your desire.

ConsThere is a set pay scale for hourly employees and there is no budging it. Whether you are a star employee or do just enough to get bye, you will be payed the same. Most sites do not have the appropriate amount of managers or supervisors for the amount of workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeads take on too much responsibility to cover for the missing supervisors/managers. Do not accept high turnover numbers, improve your company to reduce this.

Blind Leadership

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company overall, many warehouse locations and positions in all areas.

ConsKeep low performing associates in leadership positions where workload ends up on high performers. No action taken when work is not done, only gets attention when customer says something, that's not ok! Pay low, people leave and not replaced. Most associates doing the work of three people. No focus on associates, all customer. Communication horrid up and down the ladder. Was a great place to work 2 years ago, would not recommend it as is with this leadership and that goes all the way to the president. Shame, loved it here for 10 years till now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. Communicate. Show care for associates and invest in them. Was great place 2 years ago, terrible currently.

Worst Job Ever

ProsThe hours aren't too bad. It was close to home. Vacation days after 1 year, personal days after 90 days and general purpose days after 90 days. The pay is pretty decent, but SOOOO NOT worth a dime of it.

ConsManagement is awful. Trust NONE of them. Very unprofessional. Supervisors talk to associates about other associates. They do not provide any air-conditioning when the building reaches 109 degrees, you can't even go into the bathroom to cool down for 5 minutes without getting in trouble. If you happen to forget something in your car, you MUST be escorted to your vehicle and anyone you ask to escort you will give you a hard time and is very rude. You MUST make your quota, which is pretty unreasonable, if not, you will be written up. If you lose a family member or a boyfriend/girlfriend and they are not "immediate" family, they will penalize you. You have to put your cell phone in a "lock box", along side of everyone elses phones, as if you're in some prison. You can not leave the "designated" square footage area on ANY breaks, don't even think about going out to lunch.
    Human Resources will lie to you and lie about you to make you look bad just because they can. There is NO room for advancement. They hire for the "better" positions from outside of the company, which leads to angered associates. Why would they make someone a supervisor who has never done the work before? This person knows NOTHING about what their associates have to do because he/she has never actually done it before. It's easy to tell people what to do, but until you've ever actually done the work, you should NEVER be a jerk about certain things.
    Over all, it is just a horrible place to work. There are some people who have been there for so long and they are over 60 years old, so why would they bother looking for something else? But, they think they know everything and are very nasty to new people. After 3 years of working there, your raises stop. So, if someone has been there for 15 years, they make the same amount as someone that has been there for 3 years. That does NOT make any sense to me. Yet, they expect you to strive everyday with no incentive. The only incentive to strive hard everyday is so that you can keep your lousy job. They don't appreciate anyone.
    They have NO compassion for anyone for any reason. You could have just had a miscarriage and they don't care, they WILL fire you if your "points" are on the last one. There is something wrong with people like that. To not have one ounce of compassion for another human being is just an evil person. This is one of MANY reasons why I no longer want to work there.
    They lie to you. They tell you that there is an open door policy and that they don't tolerate bullying. They are the ones who do the bullying and when you go to them with a problem, they look at you like you're stupid (even though you've proven to be smarter) and they roll their eyes.
    This place is a JOKE. A bad joke to say the least.
    I could go on, but I do not wish to have this place take up anymore space in my thoughts.
    PLEASE look for other work... I am NOT kidding!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that every person who works in "upper management" should have at least one month experience on the floor. I also believe that all supervisors should have to work in the mods before they can become a supervisor. You shouldn't hire for supervisors from outside of the company. If there was more room for advancement, maybe people wouldn't be leaving left and right. Also, someone who has never done the mod work should ever "judge" or criticize someone for a "lack of work", they have NO idea what it is like doing so much work. You should also think about your children being employees for a company like this. Would you want your children to work here? If your daughter just lost her boyfriend of 6 years and was going to his funeral, do you think she should be punished for that? Learn to have some compassion for other human beings!

Exhausting

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lima, OH

ProsThere is a lot of overtime if you want it. Supervisors are pretty good at giving any requested day off. Only work 15 days a month if you are not mandated. Benefits are good and cheap. Like the people I work with.

ConsNo room for ADVANCEMENT without a college degree. Don't consider on the job experience good enough to be considered for management positions. There is no incentive for anyone to give 100%.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the requirements for a class A driving position from 2 years to 6 months or include time on the job as experience. Spotter position should pay more, job is very demanding physically. Get rid of LMS, IT is just another way to micromanage your employees.

It all depends on your site.

ProsI enjoy the people that I work with, but I generally like being around people anyway. I guess the fact that the company has full benefits is a plus too.

ConsThere was no set training process in place when I started so then I pretty much just had to wing it. I didn't feel like I had proper guidance and there was little expectation.

Responsibilites vs. Reward

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsAdvancement opportunities if you are willing to move.

ConsGetting the same raise as incompetent supervisors. Accepting additional responibility and not getting rewarded for it. Turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of supervisors who take care of you. This everyone gets a 2% raise is BS!!

Great Job

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Canton, MS

Prospay benefits vacation time shifts

Consno cons at the current time

Worked for Exel? Contribute to the Community!