Exelis Reviews

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

CAD/Engineering Support

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Great people to work with, and most managers both demand good work and allow personnel the time to complete it well.

Cons

Government contracts determine the company's situation. Like most government work, it is an up and down business, with great times of lots of work, but also with times when there is a high risk of being let go.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage engineers, especially younger ones, to become part of the team. I felt welcome there. I always heard there that regular employees do not earn as much as the industry standard, so this is something that bears looking into. I also had heard that the company rewarded longevity in employment, sometimes more than merit. I do not know if this is true, but if so, it needs to be addressed as well. This is a great place to be and if things are improved it will be that much better.

2. Nice place to work

Current Employee - EMA Technician Specialist in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - EMA Technician Specialist in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, decent health benefits, 401k and pension. Recently bought by Harris so could be a plus or Minus, time will tell.

Cons

Too much finger pointing, instead of fixing the real problems together.

Low Employee Morale. Depressing Place to Work.

Former Employee - Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time

Pros

The work is easy if you're smart and you have the ability to take on as much or as little of is as you want. Work hours are flexible and overtime is paid and usually available. They have a generous tuition reimbursement policy, small yearly raises, and a decent 401k match. There's a legacy of good engineering left over from the ITT Avionics days but most of the talent has been forced into retirement or chosen to move on at this point.

Cons

The Clifton work site is old, windowless, and poorly ventilated. Renovations are done on the lobby and executive areas while the engineering offices and labs are aging and decrepit. Pay is way below industry average. Mentoring is almost non-existent because constant layoffs have created a culture of knowledge hoarding among senior engineers. Includes all the usual downsides of Defense work- lots of red tape, documentation, and old tools & technology. Computer systems are so locked down as to interfere with day to day job functions and security & IT are antagonistic to engineering. Culture is really poor. The young people are all annoyed with management and the older employees are coasting until retirement. Nobody is inspired to perform there.

Advice to Management

Be careful about eroding the knowledge base that the company is built on. Focus on growth instead of creating a culture of scarcity.

A mediocre place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Exelis were the projects I had an opportunity to work on. Government contract work can be dry but the systems that Exelis builds are very cool and help the country and world. The people that work at Exelis are mostly really friendly and intelligent as well. Most of the engineers that work at Exelis are great. Also, pretty good work/life balance. The work there isn't too difficult and usually we weren't required to work long hours.

Cons

The defense industry as a whole is down and probably will continue trending that way for awhile longer. As a result, every year more benefits were taken away or reduced. Salary growth is also extremely weak and not up to market standards. In fact, career growth in general is stagnant and there are almost no opportunities to move up within the company. This is is partly because the management structure is absolutely absurd and partly because there is very little new work coming in.

The process/bureaucracy/management throttles any kind of engineering innovation. The customer is very demanding and does not make the job any easier. Ridiculous scheduling and over emphasis on process leads to engineering work that is rushed.

I really like the people at Exelis, and I had some good times there but overall the experience was negative and I do not recommend working there.

Advice to Management

It seems presumptuous for me to give advice to management. I know they have really difficult problems to deal with including a very difficult customer and a bad market. However, from my point of view, the problem stems from the highest level. There is very little your manager can do if he/she doesn't have support from their manager, and on up the chain. I think the senior leadership needs to take a step back and re-evaluate the path they are on. This is a very old company and has an "old company" culture and atmosphere. I recommend they embrace new engineering technologies and take a hard look at how they treat employees.

6. Exelis is a great company to expand your engineering skills.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Challenging work, paid time off, office culture, higher education reimbursement, multiple engineering disciplines, work/life balance

Cons

company values, little room to grow professionally, salary increase not even on par with inflation, decline in benefits

7. Good people, horrible benefits

Current Employee - Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work, smart people, friendly coworkers, flexible schedules, etc.

Cons

Terrible benefits (medical) and the building is similar to Alcatraz, difficult to get raises and promotions, etc

Advice to Management

Improve the medical benefits for your workers.

8. Good

Current Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Clifton, NJ
    Current Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, people are friendly, hours are flexible, not a stressful environment

Cons

cell phones are not allowed in the building

9. It could be so much more

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to work on new technology that is vital to the national defense and economy. Some middle managers are very dedicated and care about the people in their organization. There is a very strong, close-nit community of Engineers that will help each other.

Cons

Upper management always making decisions based on how easily they can deflect blame. In other words, don't stick your neck out or always have someone to blame if things go wrong. The close-knit community of Engineers shuts you out if you don't fit in. Upper management expects you to work 60 plus hours a week and then doesn't understand why you get burnt out. Too many managers have bad tempers and like to yell at people in meetings to show how important they are--pathetic.

Advice to Management

Be more loyal to your employees or they will not stick around. Stop trying to deflect blame and own your decisions-yes, you will make some bad ones now and then but admit it, learn and move on. Accept criticism from people who may know more than you and give them an opportunity to present ideas instead of beating them down if you don't agree.

10. Review

Former Employee - SMT in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - SMT in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary was reasonable and the work was interesting.

Cons

company has changed over the years.

What was once a great company is slowly working at alienating its most valuable employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Still has a nice work environment and has some very bright engineers.

Cons

Company slowly is removing benefits and chipping away at all the reasons that employee's loved to work at the company.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.