Exelis

Exelis Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher

David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Great benefits, flexible work hours, pro-family / work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Excelis (formally ITT) provided good pay and benefits(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesnt care to much about workers and create work(in 18 reviews)

• No job security, stressful environment due to multiple layoffs & more looming layoffs(in 15 reviews)

Exelis: interesting work, poor senior leadership

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsI do interesting work, with good people. Alot of long-term employees with deep knowledge, and commitment to our products.

ConsVolatile industry, given government budgeting. Management does a poor job of attracting new business, and reluctant to invest in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example; perhaps reduce your own seven figure salaries before going on about how "We" need to cut back for the good of the company.

What was once a great company is slowly working at alienating its most valuable employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Clifton, NJ

ProsStill has a nice work environment and has some very bright engineers.

ConsCompany slowly is removing benefits and chipping away at all the reasons that employee's loved to work at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees.

Good Company, Great People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Van Nuys, CA

ProsGreat employees and good benefits. Flexible schedule.

ConsChanges in the organization. Layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than layoff employees, some relocation or opportunities for other positions would be helpful. Employee moral goes low for remaining employees. Causes job insecurity and you lose more employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, could be better with more effective leaders

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsMultiple employment opportunities in Middle East operations. Pay is pretty good, competitive with other contractors in the region. Work is rewarding and directly contribute to the military operation in the area of operations. Sense of accomplishment

ConsAppearance of nepotism and there is distrust of lower level employees in respect to management. Senior leaders in the field is disrespect toward junior employees on multiple occasions. Standards of conduct not upheld equally across the contracts. Need more transparency.

Excellent company to work for.

Manufacturing Engineering (Former Employee) Bohemia, NY

ProsGreat coworkers, benefits & salary

ConsFocus more on employees and not so much on share holders.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and upfront with employees

Exelis at a glance

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsVacation time. Nearly 3 months of vacation per year

Pay is competitive with other US IT companies.

Military friendly. If you're a reservist you will get paid military leave. If you decide to go back in they will match your pay for 5 years and hold a position for you.

ConsSome of the middle management teams can be hard to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess babysitting and get needed equipment to sites.

The top stripping the bottom - worker bee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsMost people are awesome, great to work with, despite the fact that so much has changed in short two years.

ConsLet's just say the majority of comments here are right on the ball.....
    Cut, cut, cut to balance the long term business cycle..... NOT sustainable, specially with the skeleton crew at the bottom while beefing up the executive level. The first sign of job market / economic turn around would spell a massive turn-over. But, hey, that's the modus operandi for businesses these days, right?

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are getting very close to (g, in some cases past) breaking the camel back. You won't cut your way out of this. What would a human with no prospect / growth opportunity or any sort of job tsecurity would do after a year, year and half?

poor value to the customer

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Greenbelt, MD

Proshigh salaries for people who've been there a while

ConsHaughty attitude but lack of relevant experience resulted in repeated and numerous mistakes on display for international users. Do not learn from mistakes, but repeated them. Not interested in new ideas, process improvement, etc.
    Displayed no effort to remedy numerous issues experienced with new contract.
    Very high value placed on long time employees, not so much on newcomers.
    I did not see an excellence in hiring, as I knew a number of poor performers that were hired on by them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour lack of interest in exceeding expectations for the customer is going to catch up with you eventually.

Falling Business

ProsExcelis (formally ITT) provided good pay and benefits.

ConsPoor corporate planing with plant closings

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late now. Excelis is headed towards extinction

For the most part very good, however company in transition and benefits and growth ops dimishing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs before People are treated respectfully

ConsRecent priority is focused on the bottom line in order to sell. Hence layoffs to improve financial metrics. decentralized control diminishing self determination at our facility

Advice to Senior ManagementAIL/ED was was successful before ITT acquired us, Can be successful with out you

Worked for Exelis? Contribute to the Community!