Exelis Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014

Richard Cooke

Great people, lofty goals.

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at Exelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people working there. Good benefits, and good opportunity to contribute. Most people are eager to help each other in any way they can.

Cons

Not enough systems development. Upper management not in tune with the current operating environment. Too much management by spreadsheet as opposed to actual leadership.

Stop micromanaging via databases and get to know the challenges your personnel face.

California Branch

Current Employee - Space Comm Digital Tech  in  Fort Irwin, CA
    Current Employee - Space Comm Digital Tech in Fort Irwin, CA

I have been working at Exelis full-time for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues are nice, very laid back environment.

Cons

Big separation between HR and tech department for the branch I was working at.

Get to know what your employees want, and try not to just please the HR people.

Many changes taking place and not for the better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Exelis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employees, very close knit group of people who honestly care about doing the best for the customer.

Cons

Changes taking place are going against the data of where the market is going. Most are made by those of have management's ear. Culture is deteriorating and a lot of finger pointing goes on.

Not that they would listen...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, poor company

Former Employee - Senior Programming Consultant  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Programming Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dedicated and wonderful co-workers. I loved the work I did because there was diversity and real science.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement other than "management", which I never wanted to be. Forced transition of consultants to parent Exelis Geospatial Systems, which is a horrible company to work for!!

Unpleasant Changes 2

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a good working environment, work was given and the job got done no matter what. Working in the Middle East the accommodations were good and you have great benefits.

Cons

I guess with working in the Middle East the managers make poor decisions because HQ is not around to see what is really going on and if you are not one of the buddies its hard to get ahead.

Keep a closer eye on persons working overseas.

Can be a dead end job if you're not on the right track.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II  in  Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

By for the best reason to work at Exelis is the work/life balance. There is a very laid back culture here where as long as you get your work done on time, you can get away with almost anything. Personally I work a very variable work schedule because it is convenient for me and my management doesn't have any problems with it as long as I do my 40 hrs a week and get my work done.

Cons

Outside of the better than average work/life balance everything else is pretty much sub-par. Employees are not compensated well. Promotions are not given without a fight and even when promoted most people receive a title bump without a salary increase. The profit sharing bonus we have been receiving for the past few years has ranged from 0.03-0.05% which is nothing compared to the profit this company makes. There are opportunities for good and interesting work here but, most times you have to be lucky/connected enough to get assigned to the groups that get the work.

Find a better way to identify and appeal to the younger engineering talent. We do most of the work that actually keeps the company a float. Things like allowing a select few access to the more interesting projects and not rewarding the majority of us in accordance with our work performance is discouraging. Stop being so stingy with the compensation and not giving out promotions to people when they are long overdue. These kind of things will cause your future technical leaders to leave before they can blossom into the Engineers that this company will depend on well into the future.

Not good for a QA Career

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Interesting work, well run Agile

Cons

Little opportunity to develop professionally, low emphasis on Test Design, niche test automation, overtime culture

Quickly changing

I worked at Exelis

Pros

niche technology with good market acceptance. great boulder based location. some good people remain.

Cons

as stated here by others, company is changing fast, and not for the better. Much turn-over, losing good people including most management. Ineffective management that seems to be unsure of what to do, or who is in charge.

return to your roots as a good software company. expand your product and services from the root capabilities; not the half baked new concepts. retain the core you still have

Good work environment and benefits, but poor career opportunities

Current Employee - Manager  in  Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

A positive, team-oriented work environment; most employees are motivated and willing to do their part for the group. Good benefits and reasonable pay, including professional education. Some interesting programs supporting the military directly.

Cons

Currently going through second restructuring in there years and spinning off its Mission Systems Division. This has resulted in a lot of uncertainty about opportunities for an ongoing career with the company.

Please provide some better career mentoring and improve the internal recruiting and hiring process.

Recent Unpleasant Changes

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Grea, dedicated cco-workers. Intetesting, varied work.when i first jpined the company, i had an upper management position. And i eas trested accordingly. I could also count pn other employees. They were hard workers. Management was informal

Cons

The company has started running scared. Most of Systems Div work is government and middle east based. Availble contracts are diminishing. Management is reacting poorly, making abrupt and short-sigjted decisions. People are circling the wagons and the once great work environment is suffering.

Dont become chicken little. Keep the faith in employees. You hired people because you needed them. Slash and burn when this expertise is most needed is shortsighted.

Worked for Exelis? Contribute to the Community!