Exelis Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.9

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Great benefits, flexible work hours, pro-family / work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Excelis (formally ITT) provided good pay and benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesnt care to much about workers and create work (in 18 reviews)

• No job security, stressful environment due to multiple layoffs & more looming layoffs (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Proud Company Struggling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to have a real impact on national security issues. Good, hard working, smart people. I enjoy coming to work every day. Fantastic community involvement. Good for veterans.

Cons

Products are not evolving to meet changing customer requirements. Product pricing and development must become more agile to compete and win. Management by database instead of leadership. Vision and way-ahead is rarely shared with the employees.

Company values are great. Share the vision with employees more. Management by database does not provide leadership or motivation to the employees. Get out of the office, and meet engage the employees. Use contacts fostered in high level meetings to generate actual business prospects.

I have great co-workers. We need the next generation of great co-workers.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work with alot of great people. My colleagues are very experienced, very knowledgeable, and dedicated to their work. This is a somewhat unusual 'niche' business, so it is very important to have people who understand the requirements, regulations, and nuances of working in the satellite business. It takes time for someone new to the business to understand how it works, so it is a big Pro for us to have the experience that we have.

Cons

The Geospatical Systems management does not invest in our people, and particularly the next generation of people. As I mentioned in the 'Pros' above, I work with very experienced, very knowledgeable people. In my department, most of us are over 55. The future "bench depth" is very weak. Yet, we recently laid off an employee under 40 with, I think, 10+ years experience here.

Someone who was being groomed as our next-generation senior engineer or project manager was let go in an over-reaction to a short term slow down in electrical design work. Alot of young employees have left over the past 5-10 years, and they have not been replaced. It is difficult to convince our customers we are in this business for the long-haul, when they can see for themselves that we are not planning for the company's future.

To Chris Young and the Geospatial Systems management: think about the future. When we bid on big, multi-year projects, our biggest risk is that we will not have the personnel to see the program through to the end.

My advice to you is this: bring back the youth. If they are willing, if they haven’t left town, bring back the young people we have lost in recent years. We need them as soon as possible, to transfer our knowledge, and to show our customer that we are “still in the game”, that we aren’t planning on fading away in a few years’ time.

As I mentioned in the Pros, it take time to understand this business. Bring back the people with experience here, who already know our business, and can be groomed as the next generation of Exelis in Rochester.

Enjoyed working at ITT Night Vision/Exelis in Roanoke, VA.

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Exelis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of technical experience/info to obtain and learn. Worked with many other companies, learned about thermal cameras, image science, image algorithms, C++ software, PCB layout, procurement, production process.

Cons

Job market crazy. Employment went from 1500+ to just over 400 in 3 years. Constant layoffs. Constant re-organization.

Invest in the future. Borrow money from profitable portions to get through lean period. Think a bit more long-term, a new product is not likely to return your investment in the first 3 years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Exelis as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good salary, efficient systems for expenses, etc.

Cons

Very strict business and security rules

Not what it once was.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers outstanding people and highly talented.

Cons

Management structure is dysfunctional attempt to reduce overhead expenses by elimination of first line supervision. First line supervision was generally the glue that helped offset dysfunctional higher level management.

Stop cutting employee pay/benefits while simultaneously boosting your compensation.

The New Management needs to pull their head out of you know what

Current Employee - Machinist  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Machinist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great learning environment. Great opportunity to learn skillset and move to a higher paying position. Lot of potential for future-if management doesn't screw it up. Facility and machines are nice.

Cons

Management is making decisions without finding out from the touch labor on how to improve processes. They are trying to solve problems without going to the source. They have created more issues than fixed. They just don't care about their employees or show recognition.

Fire machine shop supervisor!!! He is incompetent and dragging the shop down. Morale is down and no one cares because he doesn't care

A good place to start your career.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potential for a 4/10 or 9/80 schedule. Opportunities for growth within the company. Many different product lines so you can get lots of different experiences in the composites industry.

Cons

Some managers use fear based tactics to lead. Pay is below market average for Salt Lake. The advertised short work week doesn't happen very often due to required overtime.

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Good people and good technology

Cons

Looking for new direction in down market (Defense)

Pretty good company but lots of uncertainty

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work is challenging and there's a lot of good learning opportunities. Great time off policy.

Cons

Poor salary compared with others in the same field. The company is management is bad and HR is pretty much non-existent. Deadlines are unreasonable and often set during holiday season and many of us spend time working on the weekends before and during the holidays.

Managers needs more training

Good work as intern!

Former Employee - Engineer Intern  in  Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer Intern in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very intelligent people work there, and it was a great learning experience.

Cons

The environment can be a little slow at times.

Keep up the good work.

Worked for Exelis? Contribute to the Community!