Exelis

Updated January 30, 2015
2.8

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Great benefits, flexible work hours, pro-family / work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good Pay, Benefits lacking, Time off (If they allow you to take it) decent (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesnt care to much about workers and create work (in 20 reviews)

• No job security, stressful environment due to multiple layoffs & more looming layoffs (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Exelis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a few good people. They cater breakfast once a month (used to be every Friday),

Cons

Most of the employees there are very curmudgeon... They don't enjoy going to work every day and it reflects poorly on the overall atmosphere. Some of the offices are very set in their ways (Annapolis Junction cough cough).. Some of them can be very unfriendly to new employees coming in the door and can make it extremely uncomfortable for anyone. I would compare it to High school drama or Mean Girls if anyone has seen it (there are about 4-5 in the office who make life miserable for everyone if you're not liked by them). Led by HR (which is the most unprofessional out of the entire bunch), they gossip about current and past employees which can make the atmosphere unpleasant for anyone. They are in tight with upper management and seem virtually untouchable, considering everything unprofessional they have done is known fact and yet they all still have a job...............

Aside from HR, the worst part about Exelis is that every single person in upper management always points the finger and never the thumb. Shape up and adjust to the times, or get in your hot tub time machine and go back to the 1980's where your solutions are still present...

Overall good experience working for ITT/Exelis the past four years

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Las Cruces, NM

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Good benefits package and company paid training classes

Cons

Can travel to much at times

Declining

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Fairly stable workload; great co workers at working level; good facilities; adequate benefits; taking away many employee perks; no real awareness of morale issues/employee welfare

Cons

too many layers of management; processes do not talk to one another; delegation of authority limited; benefits cut each of the past several years;

Streamline; give responsibility and authority to senior employees who are not VPs

A mediocre place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Exelis were the projects I had an opportunity to work on. Government contract work can be dry but the systems that Exelis builds are very cool and help the country and world. The people that work at Exelis are mostly really friendly and intelligent as well. Most of the engineers that work at Exelis are great. Also, pretty good work/life balance. The work there isn't too difficult and usually we weren't required to work long hours.

Cons

The defense industry as a whole is down and probably will continue trending that way for awhile longer. As a result, every year more benefits were taken away or reduced. Salary growth is also extremely weak and not up to market standards. In fact, career growth in general is stagnant and there are almost no opportunities to move up within the company. This is is partly because the management structure is absolutely absurd and partly because there is very little new work coming in.

The process/bureaucracy/management throttles any kind of engineering innovation. The customer is very demanding and does not make the job any easier. Ridiculous scheduling and over emphasis on process leads to engineering work that is rushed.

I really like the people at Exelis, and I had some good times there but overall the experience was negative and I do not recommend working there.

It seems presumptuous for me to give advice to management. I know they have really difficult problems to deal with including a very difficult customer and a bad market. However, from my point of view, the problem stems from the highest level. There is very little your manager can do if he/she doesn't have support from their manager, and on up the chain. I think the senior leadership needs to take a step back and re-evaluate the path they are on. This is a very old company and has an "old company" culture and atmosphere. I recommend they embrace new engineering technologies and take a hard look at how they treat employees.

Overall, good experience

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Great pay and good benefits

Cons

Lack of training, staff and management lack creativity and were unreceptive to new ideas.

Job interview

Current Employee - Applicant
    Current Employee - Applicant

I have been working at Exelis full-time

Pros

the H.R. business person B.W was extremely personable and put me at ease, as I was very nervous since this was my first interview in quite a while.
    Unfortunately for me a did not get the job, but B.W. did call me back to let me know this, which speaks volumes of the interest that Exelis has toward people.

Cons

I only wished that during the follow-up call back to let me know the position had been filled, that B.W. could have been more willing to be open with what her perceptions and insight she might share to assist me when I apply for future positions at Exelis.

From all of my perceptions of the company and the people I met during my interview at Exelis, they showed a great concern not only for their employees but expressed their contribution and 'giving back ' interest into the community, especially toward American VETS, and the fact that I received a call back demonstrated their genuine concern for my interest as an applicant. This is definitely an organization that I am very interested in working for in the future. Richard Mneke

Great Work atmosphere

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

There was lots of opportunity to work overtime and the work was fairly easy.

Cons

If you aren't able to obtain a security clearance, it will be very tough to stay there. This company tends to have lots of massive layoff periods.

Sr. Information Security Engineer

Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back! Most of the engineering staff is pretty relaxed. This sometimes translates to things not getting done on time, but it's rare that someone gets hyper.

Cons

In terms of salary, Exelis is among the lowest I have ever seen in the Defense and Aerospace world. Training and Education is virtually non-existent here, with tuition reimbursement being harder to get every year. Raises, Promotions, and Bonuses have been halted entirely with the exception of the top brass. Fighting for hours is not uncommon, and there are times that you could be fighting with Project Managers to get hours to justify your time in the office. Leadership is an enigma here. The senior PMs lack any PM'ing skills and more often than not rely on the engineers to manage a project. On a personal note, Exelis is very political, if you don't enjoy having extreme republican ideologies shoved down your throat regularly, then this might not be the place for you. The bad things here grossly outweigh the good, which is why so many people have left the company in just the last few months, and is also why I am seeking opportunities elsewhere. This place is simply not worth the low salary.

Try connecting with people. Spend some company money for employees well being. Seriously, making employees use vacation time to come to a company BBQ was pretty much the lowest of the low. When hiring a PM, why not look for the most qualified candidate instead of a NRA buddy, just a thought.

Good not great

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Cant imagine a more friendly relaxed work environment

Cons

Company is in a downward spiral, contracts aren't being won and everyone is feeling the pressure. Benefits are taking a hit pretty much every year and compensation for anything above entry level is average at best.

Exelis is a great company to expand your engineering skills.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Challenging work, paid time off, office culture, higher education reimbursement, multiple engineering disciplines, work/life balance

Cons

company values, little room to grow professionally, salary increase not even on par with inflation, decline in benefits