Exelis

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Great benefits, flexible work hours, pro-family / work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good Pay, Benefits lacking, Time off (If they allow you to take it) decent (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesnt care to much about workers and create work (in 20 reviews)

• No job security, stressful environment due to multiple layoffs & more looming layoffs (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Job interview

Current Employee - Applicant
    Current Employee - Applicant

I have been working at Exelis full-time

Pros

the H.R. business person B.W was extremely personable and put me at ease, as I was very nervous since this was my first interview in quite a while.
    Unfortunately for me a did not get the job, but B.W. did call me back to let me know this, which speaks volumes of the interest that Exelis has toward people.

Cons

I only wished that during the follow-up call back to let me know the position had been filled, that B.W. could have been more willing to be open with what her perceptions and insight she might share to assist me when I apply for future positions at Exelis.

From all of my perceptions of the company and the people I met during my interview at Exelis, they showed a great concern not only for their employees but expressed their contribution and 'giving back ' interest into the community, especially toward American VETS, and the fact that I received a call back demonstrated their genuine concern for my interest as an applicant. This is definitely an organization that I am very interested in working for in the future. Richard Mneke

Great Work atmosphere

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

There was lots of opportunity to work overtime and the work was fairly easy.

Cons

If you aren't able to obtain a security clearance, it will be very tough to stay there. This company tends to have lots of massive layoff periods.

Exelis is a great company to expand your engineering skills.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Challenging work, paid time off, office culture, higher education reimbursement, multiple engineering disciplines, work/life balance

Cons

company values, little room to grow professionally, salary increase not even on par with inflation, decline in benefits

Good not great

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Cant imagine a more friendly relaxed work environment

Cons

Company is in a downward spiral, contracts aren't being won and everyone is feeling the pressure. Benefits are taking a hit pretty much every year and compensation for anything above entry level is average at best.

Great technology and hardworking employees; executive management in GS division lacks leadership, honesty, humility

Former Employee - Engineering/Management in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering/Management in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great portfolio of technology and products; Software and Engineering talent is exceptional. Employees want to focus on the products/services, and are committed to meeting the customers' needs.

Cons

company is continuously in transition; run by retired military at corporate level; For the GS Division, the executive leadership places a much burden on middle management and employees to grow the business. Even during difficult budgetary times, they lack market knowledge, and in general, do not interact with their counterparts in the customer space. There is little trust in President and VPs... its generally about their bonuses - and they make that known to the workforce. We work so they make their money.

Treat the employees with respect and trust their knowledge. Fire the Senior Executives that are not performing, rather than firing those doing the work.

Interesting workplace, Horrible Middle Management

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great times working on the ground based tracking assets on the Range. Good Relationships with the Site Operators and Wing personnel.

Cons

Exelis has partnered with L-3 for this contract. L-3 is only concerned with putting their cronies into positions of authority. If you are in the click, your ticket has been written. Everyone else is left out of the loop and not informed. Brought the issue up to Sr. Exelis Management, but saw no results.

Exelis needs to break free of this partnership and concentrate on delivering quality services.

Working at Exelis

Former Employee - Engineer in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Exelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth if you are a talker.

Cons

Bad management. No bonus given. Okay time-off policies.

OK place to work

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are very friendly and very fast paced

Cons

Management does not have a clue or care what it takes to get things done. The company is being run by the finance dept to meet the needs of the stock holders

Start listening to your employees. Treat, value their worth. Don't take advantage of your salary employees

Intern Review

Former Employee - Engineer in Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Amityville, NY

I worked at Exelis as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

company values, work environment, personal growth,projects,knowledge

Cons

lack of diversity, poor training,scheduling,poor leadership at times

Better training
    Improve diversity

Very exciting fast pace environment.

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in North Amityville, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in North Amityville, NY

I have been working at Exelis as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

People you work for and with are terrific!

Cons

Promotions are few or non-existent. Office culture is OK with a Christmas party that is tops! Cons they do not promote industry conventions and educational opportunities for professional growth.

Need to bring contract engineers on board as direct hires and also offer them educational opportunities attending industry conferences and presenting papers for growth.