Exelis Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
2.9

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Great benefits, flexible work hours, pro-family / work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Excelis (formally ITT) provided good pay and benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesnt care to much about workers and create work (in 18 reviews)

• No job security, stressful environment due to multiple layoffs & more looming layoffs (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Old school

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of company pride from the days when we used to be ITT. People generally happy to work here and are friendly. Good benefits and work/life balance. They do have training opportunities but they are limited.

Cons

This company is way behind the times and employees have trouble adapting to change. Most people here are in their 50s or up. Very old processes and systems which are impossible to change. Things happen slowly here.

Hire and promote younger people - management needs fresh thinking and ideas.

Exelis is circling the drain

Former Employee - Senior Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is better than average

Cons

Company is not growth oriented. Management makes a lot of speeches about growth but takes no action and lets opportunities pass them by. Their reputation with customers is not very good. This is a shame because there are some really good people there doing some good work.

Start paying attention to what is going on. Taking on some smaller projects that actually solve customers needs will help you in the future. Currently the management doesn't seem to be interested in any work/contracts that doesn't have nine zeros on the end of it. Someone needs to enlighten them that this is not 1980 and things are a little different. Good old fashioned response to customers needs is what they need to learn (or relearn). It will bolster their reputation and customers will start bringing them more work.

Brilliant Talent Spoiled Employees

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Highly skilled labor overall with brilliant engineers. Company has great benefits and provides a flexible working environment. Senior Management is extremely tolerant.

Cons

Old school defense mentality has kept employees out of the reality of the real world. Hard to get simple things accomplished due to this mindset. Senior Management is struggling as employees are not of the mindset to match the current economy and are stonewalling on every change they can. Hard to push through and accomplish anything.

This is a great company offering great benefits to their employees. Take the time to look at your organization. Hold your managers accountable if they are not of your mindset. Organize and prioritize what you want to accomplish and push it out unified.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have great co-workers. We need the next generation of great co-workers.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work with alot of great people. My colleagues are very experienced, very knowledgeable, and dedicated to their work. This is a somewhat unusual 'niche' business, so it is very important to have people who understand the requirements, regulations, and nuances of working in the satellite business. It takes time for someone new to the business to understand how it works, so it is a big Pro for us to have the experience that we have.

Cons

The Geospatical Systems management does not invest in our people, and particularly the next generation of people. As I mentioned in the 'Pros' above, I work with very experienced, very knowledgeable people. In my department, most of us are over 55. The future "bench depth" is very weak. Yet, we recently laid off an employee under 40 with, I think, 10+ years experience here.

Someone who was being groomed as our next-generation senior engineer or project manager was let go in an over-reaction to a short term slow down in electrical design work. Alot of young employees have left over the past 5-10 years, and they have not been replaced. It is difficult to convince our customers we are in this business for the long-haul, when they can see for themselves that we are not planning for the company's future.

To Chris Young and the Geospatial Systems management: think about the future. When we bid on big, multi-year projects, our biggest risk is that we will not have the personnel to see the program through to the end.

My advice to you is this: bring back the youth. If they are willing, if they haven’t left town, bring back the young people we have lost in recent years. We need them as soon as possible, to transfer our knowledge, and to show our customer that we are “still in the game”, that we aren’t planning on fading away in a few years’ time.

As I mentioned in the Pros, it take time to understand this business. Bring back the people with experience here, who already know our business, and can be groomed as the next generation of Exelis in Rochester.

Poor

I worked at Exelis as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Upfront the company appears solid and gives a very professional and caring first impression. If you want to work for a company and collect a paycheck for doing nothing at all, this is your company. There is also room for advancement as long as you continue to demonstrate that your are loud, opinionated and know less then everybody else in the room. Some may say in their reviews, that it is very "relaxed", those are the mouth breathers collecting a free paycheck.

Cons

Once I made it to my site, it was the complete opposite of professional. Not much is expected from the employees at this site and it shows in their conduct and lack of urgency to complete tasks. Organization is an unfamiliar term to the lead whom worked over me, the lead who worked over that person doesn't have a clue either.

Pay closer attention to the staff at each of your sites, many people are skating by with little to no knowledge at all in their current position.

Going Down The Tubes

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Was a good company with supportive and reasonable management.

Cons

Now full of low talent cronies who care not a whit for engineers or any other non-management crony.

Quit and save the company.

Way behind the times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of hardworking people.

Cons

Bureaucratic defense company which will waste your time in nonproductive meetings instead of facilitating actual progress. Much older work force who will always talk about the "good ole days" when we were ITT.

You have enough old white generals at the top. Time to look within to find young talent and cultivate it.

Never Again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Exelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay, Benefits lacking, Time off (If they allow you to take it) decent

Cons

Management from Middle to corporate will NOT stand behind their engineers. Management will take credit for accomplishments and hang you out to dry when THEIR plan fails.

Listen to those who are doing the impossible and give them credit for all the work they accomplish. Stand behind the employees. DO NOT allow politics to determine careers.

No loyalty to employees, values GPA over real, proven skill and work experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Exelis as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I worked here as a software engineering intern and had a decent experience the first time around. I even continued my internship to a full year while going to school. Gave me actual projects to work on, no grunt work. Hours were flexible while going to school. Paid decently well for the area.

Cons

I was "promised" another internship to rejoin the team working on the same project I had already spent two semesters working on. Due to having a GPA lower than 3.2 HR would not allow me to come back. Of course by the time this happened I had already moved to the area, found an apartment, and planned specifically on working here for the semester. They valued one single metric over proven skill and experience. I was loved by everyone I had interacted with as a part of my job, and praised while I was there, but HR was so concerned with one single number which in real life, means almost nothing. Offices are a giant cube farm, most are very outdated. Dress was very formal. Felt very much like a large company. Not an enjoyable environment.

Re-evaluate hiring polices (especially for interns). GPA is not an end-all-be-all. If someone has proven them-self, GPA should merely be a footnote, not a headline. Show more employee loyalty.

Not what it once was.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers outstanding people and highly talented.

Cons

Management structure is dysfunctional attempt to reduce overhead expenses by elimination of first line supervision. First line supervision was generally the glue that helped offset dysfunctional higher level management.

Stop cutting employee pay/benefits while simultaneously boosting your compensation.

Worked for Exelis? Contribute to the Community!