Exelis

Exelis Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher

David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Great benefits, flexible work hours, pro-family / work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Excelis (formally ITT) provided good pay and benefits(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesnt care to much about workers and create work(in 18 reviews)

• No job security, stressful environment due to multiple layoffs & more looming layoffs(in 15 reviews)

A good place to start your career.

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsPotential for a 4/10 or 9/80 schedule. Opportunities for growth within the company. Many different product lines so you can get lots of different experiences in the composites industry.

ConsSome managers use fear based tactics to lead. Pay is below market average for Salt Lake. The advertised short work week doesn't happen very often due to required overtime.

Hired in during a reorganization and had my role eliminated. Seemed as though one hand didn't know what the other was d

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people and good technology

ConsLooking for new direction in down market (Defense)

Pretty good company but lots of uncertainty

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Bowie, MD

ProsThe work is challenging and there's a lot of good learning opportunities. Great time off policy.

ConsPoor salary compared with others in the same field. The company is management is bad and HR is pretty much non-existent. Deadlines are unreasonable and often set during holiday season and many of us spend time working on the weekends before and during the holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers needs more training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work as intern!

Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Clifton, NJ

ProsVery intelligent people work there, and it was a great learning experience.

ConsThe environment can be a little slow at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great learning experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsWorking environment is excellent and flexile working schedule.

ConsNot competitive when it comes to compensation.

Doing the right things during tough times

ProsDiversity of product offerings and locations give employees different options if they are open to relocations
    Solid benefits
    Ethics within every unit is very important

ConsTough times have resulted in slight reduction in pay and benefits
    Too many restructurings and too much change for a company that is not yet three years old

Advice to Senior ManagementCan 2015 be a year of NO Change?

Good company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsExceptionally interesting work. Opportunities for advancement. Environment of respect. Some of the most intelligent people to work with i've experienced.

ConsPoor communication from senior leadership. Poor sense of job stability (impacted by communication). Pay increases and promotions have been very scarce for a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication. Efforts to add "spin" are transparent and only worsens perceived communication gap.

Review

SMT (Former Employee) Clifton, NJ

ProsSalary was reasonable and the work was interesting.

Conscompany has changed over the years.

Not a great place.

Employee (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsVery smart employees and a lot of people who want to do good work.

ConsHopelessly incompetent senior managers. Culture and employee engagement are in the toilet.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your people!!!! Roll up your sleeves and really work on morale and culture problems. Stop worrying about the bottom-line and take care of your employees. All else falls into place when you have happy people who want to come to work.

It could be so much more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Clifton, NJ

ProsA great place to work on new technology that is vital to the national defense and economy. Some middle managers are very dedicated and care about the people in their organization. There is a very strong, close-nit community of Engineers that will help each other.

ConsUpper management always making decisions based on how easily they can deflect blame. In other words, don't stick your neck out or always have someone to blame if things go wrong. The close-knit community of Engineers shuts you out if you don't fit in. Upper management expects you to work 60 plus hours a week and then doesn't understand why you get burnt out. Too many managers have bad tempers and like to yell at people in meetings to show how important they are--pathetic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more loyal to your employees or they will not stick around. Stop trying to deflect blame and own your decisions-yes, you will make some bad ones now and then but admit it, learn and move on. Accept criticism from people who may know more than you and give them an opportunity to present ideas instead of beating them down if you don't agree.

Worked for Exelis? Contribute to the Community!