Exelis

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Great benefits, flexible work hours, pro-family / work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good Pay, Benefits lacking, Time off (If they allow you to take it) decent (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesnt care to much about workers and create work (in 20 reviews)

• No job security, stressful environment due to multiple layoffs & more looming layoffs (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I worked at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent people, interesting work, good advancement opportunities. Diverse, inclusive atmosphere. The company prides itself on looking for talent not a certain type of person.

Cons

Hard to find an opening, not many listed and those that are have a lot of people competing for them. Keep trying though, it is worth the effort.

Doing a good job

Bad management catches up with us; Bad reputation keeps away good employees

Current Employee - Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work with excellent co-workers, and on interesting technology. We are very busy right now. Also, I am retiring soon.

Cons

Management is incapable of long-term planning, leading to constant hiring / layoff cycles. For example, we had big layoffs back in May, and now we are very busy and trying to hire alot of people. It would have made much more sense to keep the people we had, but that would require management that can plan out further than 6 months.

There have been so many layoffs, it is difficult to retain the excellent co-workers mentioned above. Young people in particular (under 50 is 'young' here) don't stay, and some, bizarrely, have been laid off!

Years of bad management is now catching up with us. We are TRYING to hire right now, but it is difficult. We have a reputation in Rochester as a poor employer, with no stability. I know quite a few people that we could really use here, but they aren't interested. We tried to get back one of the young people we previously laid off, but he declined. I can't blame him, since job stability is probably a high priority.

While we are currently very busy, I have never in my 30+ years at Kodak/ITT/Exelis been more pessimistic on the long-term future of this business. Many people will be retiring soon, and Exelis is not making plans to replace them. (Indeed, we have actually laid off our should-be leaders of tomorrow!) Lots of knowledge will be walking out the door. It's hard to see the future here as the bulk of the workforce retires over the next 5 or so years. (luckily for me, I'll be one of the retired)

To the Geospatial Systems management: Yes, we are busy now, but do not get cocky or complacent. It has never been a more dangerous time for the company. You have put the future of GS in jeopardy.

First, Stop with the cycle of layoffs! Instead of layoffs, how about R&D investment in new products? Yes, customer programs can be erratic; that is why we need products separate from the big programs, to smooth out our business.

Second, bring back the youth! I really cannot emphasize this enough; you will soon have a shortage of qualified, knowledgeable people. We have hired a few new graduates, which is a good start. But we are missing people with 10-15 years experience. Especially try to find the people who have left (or been laid off), people who know our business. Time is running short before we run out of a critical mass of people who know our specialized work, and knowledge needs to be passed to to the next generation, or there is no future here!

First Company After Military Service

Current Employee - Lead Buyer in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Buyer in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exelis (previously ITT) was the first company I worked for after retiring from the military. Actually I worked for the Mission Systems segment whose HQ was in Colorado Springs. I spent 8 years there and went through 3 name changes. I worked on two different contracts. It was a good company to work for, except, as a Defense Contractor, job security was always a question. They were good about working with the programs to ensure new government requirements were passed down and training to meet the requirements was held.

Cons

Job security. Lack of communications concerning status of contracts. Different benefits: HQ personnel VS Employees on contracts. Unwilling to provide external training opportunities to certain job area.

Good Company

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Great Benefits. Travel pay, Fast pace environment, provide additional training for job. Promotions awarded upon work performance and can transfer internal.

Cons

Working in extreme temperatures ranging from 20 degree to 140 degrees. Living in tents temporary or long term. Being away from your family.

Working at Exelis

Former Employee - Engineer in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Exelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth if you are a talker.

Cons

Bad management. No bonus given. Okay time-off policies.

Resistance is Futile We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. You are now a number.

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced technology company that somehow attracts great engineers and talent... Or should I say "Acquires?" Heavy into the defense industry which suffers from the "Who happens to occupy the "White-House" and is into defense spending" Syndrome... But they are trying to diversify a little bit..

Cons

While Exelis excels in "up and coming" technology - their management style is 20 years behind.. Even with all the tools of communication at it's disposal it has no concept of communicating AT ALL. The only way to get anything done is to have an excel spreadsheet or to have said spreadsheet embedded in a PowerPoint presentation... If it's not on a PowerPoint it never existed...
    Management appears to be "A-typical" of every "Corporation" that is publicly traded.. They serve the Shareholders and Management not the employee.. There is no connection from management to the employee level and there seems to be no desire for it either. This has the effect of all employees serving only themselves to compete for the positive attention of management at the sacrifice of all others.. That then fosters an even worse environment to work in and hinders production powerfully.
    I have been with he company for over 10+ years... When I started it was privately owned and a fun place to work.. We were then bought out by EDOcorp, who was then bought out by ITT, and then Exelis was born of ITT's womb.
    The IT department is on it's 3rd or 4th attempt at "centralizing" and thus far has only succeeded at centralizing E-mail and Active directory. Any Sane manager would know that of course all these exorcises need money and resources to do them efficiently but of course there is no money to hire more resources so you have many individuals "Multitasking" which is really the Art of doing twice as much as you should, half as well as you could...
    When IT centralized this created a new management structure... My previous Boss was located off-site and I met him once before he became my boss.. My Second boss since him I have been reporting to for over year and I have yet to meet him in person and to be honest I do not think that will ever change.. And it's not their fault...
    Since I am the only one doing my tasks and there is no backup I have no room or even the time for growth opportunity... I fear I will not be back-filled and thus if I try to get a higher ranking position I will still have to perform my current tasks . (It already happened once.)

Invest in your employees... Engage them... LISTEN to them.... You have probably the most versatile and intelligent people in the workforce working for you and yet you refuse to communicate, listen to them, or engage them. whith what they are working on. You only ever see or focus on "Cash-flow" issues and never focus on "Production" issues that will automatically fix cash flow in the long term. You are doing nothing more than bleeding people for the money from investors that is hindering the success you could have.
    Every single small company that ITT/EDO/Exelis Bought out, knew in the beginning that If you invest in your employees they will want to produce and they will want to succeed and then they WILL Succeed and WILL Produce... But, as soon as they take over - they remove that drive and they fail to grasp that if they leave the same investments in the employees it has the effect of driving investments in your stocks up higher than ever... You need to learn that Investing and engaging your investors and not your employees, and most of all your customers, has the exact opposite effect as seen in our current $16 dollar stock quote....

Used to be better

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Mostly nice people to work with
    Most people will go extra mile to get job done on time.
    Good employee activities and perks.

Cons

Technology behind the curve.
    Atmosphere of throwing your coworker under the bus to save yourself, especially in middle and upper management.
    Managers favorites get away with murder whilst non favorites get every little flaw pointed out repeatedly.
    Much annoying lip service to how much they "care" about you with absolutely no follow through.
    Inconsistent manner of promotions, some managers fight a lot to get them for their people (yay!). Others only make token gestures. So getting promoted depends on who you work for.
    This used to be a good place to work, where the quality of the product and customer satisfaction where important, not anymore.

Be consistent across departments in compensation, promotions, etc.
    Actually act like you care about the morale, and environment, and then do something to help it along. Do not shot the messenger of bad news. Stop playing favorites. Care more about the products and their quality then the monthly financial reports.

Great place overall

Current Employee - Front Desk
    Current Employee - Front Desk

I have been working at Exelis full-time

Pros

Moral, great Benefits and Pay

Cons

No cons as of yet.

Interesting work

I have been working at Exelis full-time

Pros

The technical staff is supportive. Things get done despite "Management".

Cons

Management from spreadsheets, Never seems to have the money and schedule to do it right the first time.

Get input from technical staff before the start of the project, allow enough reserve in the budget to handle the technical glitches that always occur.

Many Opportunities, Good Benefits, Somewhat lacking in employee support.

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a fairly large company there is a diverse set of opportunities available. The company has mainly government contract work but it crosses numerous disciplines and there is some flexibility in career path. Management is not very active in guiding employees, which is many ways makes for a more pleasant work environment.

Cons

The company does not do much to help employees grow. There's a great deal of self-management. While employees are left on their own to handle day to day work, which is nice, long-term career planning is difficult because immediate management does not communicate well to individual employees. It is difficult for an employee to gain insight into where a project group, or larger segment of the company, is headed beyond the immediate project.

Management should make more of an effort to ensure employees are challenged in their position.