Exelis Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
431 reviews filtered by

1. Work experience was good in the beginning, but projects and funding have been cut and work is getting stale.

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people are good people to work with and are helpful. Vacation policy is great! It's one of the few reasons that keep me here.

Cons

Work-life balance is not good. Upper management does a poor job managing time and set unrealistic deadlines. Many times we have to work weekends and holidays (esp. around Christmas and New Years). HR is incompetent and needs to go. They can't answer any simple or complex questions.

Hit the restart button and Fire them all! Hire some competent people to do the work that needs to get done.

Declining

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Fairly stable workload; great co workers at working level; good facilities; adequate benefits; taking away many employee perks; no real awareness of morale issues/employee welfare

Cons

too many layers of management; processes do not talk to one another; delegation of authority limited; benefits cut each of the past several years;

Streamline; give responsibility and authority to senior employees who are not VPs

Was a good place to work

Current Employee - Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing. Well, I guess they still pay employees, but not for OT.

Cons

Failed to invest in the future locally when business was great, now struggling to keep the doors open.

Invest in IR&D. Adapt to the market. US Army isn't going to pay for development costs anymore, so start investing if you plan to stay in business.

5. Overall good experience working for ITT/Exelis the past four years

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Las Cruces, NM

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Good benefits package and company paid training classes

Cons

Can travel to much at times

A mediocre place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Exelis were the projects I had an opportunity to work on. Government contract work can be dry but the systems that Exelis builds are very cool and help the country and world. The people that work at Exelis are mostly really friendly and intelligent as well. Most of the engineers that work at Exelis are great. Also, pretty good work/life balance. The work there isn't too difficult and usually we weren't required to work long hours.

Cons

The defense industry as a whole is down and probably will continue trending that way for awhile longer. As a result, every year more benefits were taken away or reduced. Salary growth is also extremely weak and not up to market standards. In fact, career growth in general is stagnant and there are almost no opportunities to move up within the company. This is is partly because the management structure is absolutely absurd and partly because there is very little new work coming in.

The process/bureaucracy/management throttles any kind of engineering innovation. The customer is very demanding and does not make the job any easier. Ridiculous scheduling and over emphasis on process leads to engineering work that is rushed.

I really like the people at Exelis, and I had some good times there but overall the experience was negative and I do not recommend working there.

It seems presumptuous for me to give advice to management. I know they have really difficult problems to deal with including a very difficult customer and a bad market. However, from my point of view, the problem stems from the highest level. There is very little your manager can do if he/she doesn't have support from their manager, and on up the chain. I think the senior leadership needs to take a step back and re-evaluate the path they are on. This is a very old company and has an "old company" culture and atmosphere. I recommend they embrace new engineering technologies and take a hard look at how they treat employees.

7. Overall, good experience

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Great pay and good benefits

Cons

Lack of training, staff and management lack creativity and were unreceptive to new ideas.

Sr. Information Security Engineer

Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back! Most of the engineering staff is pretty relaxed. This sometimes translates to things not getting done on time, but it's rare that someone gets hyper.

Cons

In terms of salary, Exelis is among the lowest I have ever seen in the Defense and Aerospace world. Training and Education is virtually non-existent here, with tuition reimbursement being harder to get every year. Raises, Promotions, and Bonuses have been halted entirely with the exception of the top brass. Fighting for hours is not uncommon, and there are times that you could be fighting with Project Managers to get hours to justify your time in the office. Leadership is an enigma here. The senior PMs lack any PM'ing skills and more often than not rely on the engineers to manage a project. On a personal note, Exelis is very political, if you don't enjoy having extreme republican ideologies shoved down your throat regularly, then this might not be the place for you. The bad things here grossly outweigh the good, which is why so many people have left the company in just the last few months, and is also why I am seeking opportunities elsewhere. This place is simply not worth the low salary.

Try connecting with people. Spend some company money for employees well being. Seriously, making employees use vacation time to come to a company BBQ was pretty much the lowest of the low. When hiring a PM, why not look for the most qualified candidate instead of a NRA buddy, just a thought.

Job interview

Current Employee - Applicant
    Current Employee - Applicant

I have been working at Exelis full-time

Pros

the H.R. business person B.W was extremely personable and put me at ease, as I was very nervous since this was my first interview in quite a while.
    Unfortunately for me a did not get the job, but B.W. did call me back to let me know this, which speaks volumes of the interest that Exelis has toward people.

Cons

I only wished that during the follow-up call back to let me know the position had been filled, that B.W. could have been more willing to be open with what her perceptions and insight she might share to assist me when I apply for future positions at Exelis.

From all of my perceptions of the company and the people I met during my interview at Exelis, they showed a great concern not only for their employees but expressed their contribution and 'giving back ' interest into the community, especially toward American VETS, and the fact that I received a call back demonstrated their genuine concern for my interest as an applicant. This is definitely an organization that I am very interested in working for in the future. Richard Mneke

Lack of leadership or vision for new products and direction.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere and really good work / life balance when we have work.

Cons

Don't do enough to find new work and get stuck in old product lines. Lack of support of the work staff, mediocre benefits, and lack of product diversification and vision.

Find a way to support a more entrepreneurial atmosphere rather than bean counting from quarter to quarter.

11. Great Work atmosphere

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

There was lots of opportunity to work overtime and the work was fairly easy.

Cons

If you aren't able to obtain a security clearance, it will be very tough to stay there. This company tends to have lots of massive layoff periods.