Exelis Reviews

1. Exelis

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Salary, Life Changing

Cons

Long Hours, Hardship, Lowering pay

Strong Matrix Structure

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, lax management, and good benefits

Cons

Certain programs/projects are given higher priority over functional management, bad cost account structure, top-down estimating, forecasting is based on assumptions, kaizen events incorrectly applied, no ERP system, ineffective tools, and over-run budgets across the board. More importantly, strong lack of accountability.

Advice to Management

Implement an ERP system, bottom-up estimating, and focus on continuous improvement via regular kaizens.

3. Technician, Sr.

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Exelis

Pros

one of the best company i ever worked.

Cons

At location T/O California we been doing real good but why they chopped off and moved out?

Advice to Management

n/a

Busy today, but what is the future?

Former Employee - Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

(Exelis has been purchased by Harris – this review is cross-posted at Harris. This review is specific to the Geospatial Systems business in Rochester, NY.) Opportunity to work with excellent co-workers, and on interesting technology. Business is busy right now, better than it has been in quite some time. Hopefully the new Harris management is an improvement over the Exelis management.

Cons

Exelis management has been incapable of long-term planning, leading to constant hiring / layoff cycles. For example, there were big layoffs in May 2014, and now business is very busy and they are trying to hire people. It would have made much more sense to keep the people we had, but that would require management that can plan out further than 6 months. There have been so many layoffs, it is difficult to retain the excellent co-workers mentioned above. Young people in particular (under 55 is 'young') don't stay, and some, bizarrely, have been laid off! Years of bad management is now catching up. They are TRYING to hire right now, but it is difficult. Exelis has a reputation in Rochester as a poor employer, with no stability. There are people that we could really use here, but they aren't interested. I think they tried to get back one of the young people previously laid off, but he declined. I can't blame him, since job stability is probably a high priority. Perhaps getting rid of the Exelis name will help in this respect. While business is currently very busy, I have never, over the years of Kodak/ITT/Exelis/Harris, been more pessimistic on the long-term future of this business. Many people will be retiring soon, and Exelis/Harris is not making plans to replace them. (Indeed, they have actually laid off the should-be leaders of tomorrow!) Lots of knowledge will be walking out the door. It's hard to see the future here as the bulk of the workforce retires over the next 5 or so years.

Advice to Management

To the Harris Geospatial Systems management: Yes, things are very busy now, but do not get cocky or complacent. It has never been a more dangerous time for the company. You have put the future of GS in jeopardy. First, Stop with the cycle of layoffs! Instead of layoffs, how about R&D investment in new products? Yes, customer programs can be erratic; that is why you need products separate from the big programs, to smooth out our business. Second, bring back the youth! I really cannot emphasize this enough; you will soon have a shortage of qualified, knowledgeable people. A few new graduates have been hired, which is a good start. But you are missing people in between, with 10 - 20 years of experience. Here is an example. May 2014, there was a big layoff in my department – an over-reaction to a short-term (3 – 6 month) slowdown in business. Lots of people were laid off, and many were hired back when business predictably got busy again. One employee who was laid off is (I am guessing) in his mid-30’s, with around 10 years’ experience at Exelis. This is someone who knows our product, our customer, our project management style, has experience on multiple projects and proposals. It was stupid to lay him off; it is ludicrous that he has not been brought back! You NEED people like this to be your senior engineers, supervisors and project managers 10-20 years from now, and you NEED to start developing these future leaders NOW. A lot of people are near retirement; who will replace them? This is just one example. you are busy and hiring - especially try to find the people who have left (or been laid off), people who know your business. Time is running short before you run out of a critical mass of people who know your specialized work. Knowledge needs to be passed to the next generation, or there is no future!

Horrible management with slave driver mentality.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maxwell AFB, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maxwell AFB, AL

I worked at Exelis (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing really. Pay was alright but that's about all.

Cons

Management nit picks every little thing but gives no insight or guidance as to what they actually want you to produce. Long hours at month end close, sometimes until midnight or later so the manager could look good for the higher ups. Management constantly taking credit for work done by others while laying blame for anything done wrong on underlings. Horrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Be realistic. Lose the boys club.

CAD/Engineering Support

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Great people to work with, and most managers both demand good work and allow personnel the time to complete it well.

Cons

Government contracts determine the company's situation. Like most government work, it is an up and down business, with great times of lots of work, but also with times when there is a high risk of being let go.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage engineers, especially younger ones, to become part of the team. I felt welcome there. I always heard there that regular employees do not earn as much as the industry standard, so this is something that bears looking into. I also had heard that the company rewarded longevity in employment, sometimes more than merit. I do not know if this is true, but if so, it needs to be addressed as well. This is a great place to be and if things are improved it will be that much better.

Run for the hills

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Exelis full-time

Pros

Decent pay (at least it used to be). Depending on the manager, you may be able to maintain a decent work life balance. You get to work on solving some challenging problems.

Cons

Continually cutting benefits including vacation days. Low raises if any at all (don't keep up with inflation). Working conditions continually go down hill. If you've been there for over 5 years, you're a total kiss up, or a master office politician, neither of which add any true value to the company.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to squeeze your employees dry. You've gotten all you'll get out of the good ones, that's why they've left. Now you have nothing but incompetents at every level. Try coming down from your ivory tower sometime and see what's really going on. Here's a hint, that requires more than visiting the local lackeys.

9. Great company with good benefits!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Forward thinking company with a good management philosophy. The 401 matching was truly awesome 6% up front then 3% matching!!

Cons

Health benefits were OK but not stellar by far. Also, in my setting there was no room for advancement and that was a definite con.

Advice to Management

Provide better support to individuals for education and eventually advancement.

10. Computer Support Tech

Current Employee - Computer Support Tech in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Computer Support Tech in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

Great environment, newer equipment to work on.

Cons

Management operates with tunnel vision when promoting within.

Advice to Management

Let internal employees cross train to other departments.

Horrible environment

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training for better companies, lots of exposure, decent opportunity to grow within the company with hard work

Cons

Horrible upper management, incredibly under paid, lack of resources, overall immature company in terms of making appropriate business decisions, mandatory overtime every week on almost every program.

Advice to Management

Management should listen to their technicians and supervisors. They are the ones on the floor so they have the most knowledge. Instead, management makes decisions based on revenue, even if capacity is impossible.

RSS Feed </> Embed