Exelis

Updated Jan 1, 2014

Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher

David F. Melcher

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I had a very good experience with Exelis and would gladly recommend this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Exelis full-time

ProsExcellent management and benefits wish I could have stayed

ConsNone to mention at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing a great job

Pretty good company. Not too bad compared to other companys, but I have had problems.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood communications via email from top down mgmt. More and more site visits and quarterly meetings lately. They have Q&A sessions. It is nice.
They try really hard to provide workers with good work equipment, internet, desktop, windows, lights, office, etc. While many complain, they are much much better than most companies.
Great with management structure.. compared to other companies, they have a flatter management structure, so less chefs in the kitchen getting in the way, less micro mgmt. good strategy.
IT support is pretty good. they try hard, not the sharpest, but they have great effort. They have good security, offer backup help, and have centralized ticket tracking for support.
Some training offered. here and there training at Headquarters is available. In the past, they had provided a handful of Learning Tree vouchers, but cost cutting eliminated that above and beyond perk.
If your contract is eliminated, they try hard to help you find a new position, new contract, new placement to continue employment. Maybe a little more than most companies, even though there is a lot of contract dismissal of late, with govt cutbacks.
The office puts together little 'camaraderie' events where people chat with BBQs.... it really helps cohesiveness but leads to crying at parties where people are laid off.

Cons*Human Resource team will cost you money. Every strategic change they implement to make it better results in bad outcomes and less communication. They are trying.
*Health Insurance: they use a self insured strategy with Cigna as the management front. This is the only offered plan in 2013 and according to what I have heard on podcasts regarding insurance, this will be the strategy of most small and large companies avoiding taxes under ACA, however the end result is that I have been denied practically everything, and my doctors bills are outrageous and in only June have more than double compared to last year's Blue Cross Blue Shield out of pocket expenses.
*Not much career potential with the flat mgmt structure. Contractor positions stay the same position until the person leaves. There is not really any proportion potential. This might be a Pro rather than a Con.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent management strategy. Flatter system with middle mgmt. Good method of communication and having semi-annual and quarterly progress meetings for the offices.

Great environment and good people

Capture Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than a year

ProsAgile and focused environment, good management

ConsNeed to take more risks in growing the business

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more focus on long term strategy

Employee Morale is Very Low

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible work hours
Competitive Pay Rates

ConsNo security - general sense is that you could lose your job at any moment
Long term employees shafted on severance pay due to a lot of reorganization and purchasing
Poor Benefits

ITT Exelis is an excellent work environment for engineers without the administrative overhead.

Information Systems Security Officer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Exelis full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work environment and atmosphere is a definite pro of working for ITT Exelis. There is a lot of hands-on technical experience gained from being in the field. The resources available provide for an extensive knowledge base of Information Systems and operations in corporate, civil government, and military settings. My tasks are all self-managed and it is a joy working with other employees in this company.

ConsAlthough it is a pro that there is little administrative overhead when completing tasks it would be helpful for a little feedback from upper management. This could include more depth in employee reviews.

Very Good, comfortable, depends on which project and group you are in

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are good, and are down to earth.

ConsSometimes difficult to move to other positions....their business development is lacking.

The company supports employees and has a friendly atmosphere while looking to broaden business areas.

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Exelis

ProsITT is a forward thinking company while ensuring current customer needs are met. All members of the business area team and support team work hard to prepare the best possible solutions to customer needs.

ConsThere is a lack of synergy or even basic communication between business areas. Significant potential exists to coordinate across business areas to meet multiple needs for a single customer. Some business areas have done better than others at this, but it needs to be driven from the top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the split up as an opporutunity to cross business areas within the new companies to provide comprehensive solutions to developing markets.

Worked for Exelis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exelis reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Exelis CEO David F. Melcher. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Exelis employees.