Exelixis Reviews

Updated June 3, 2014
3.3

Exelixis President, CEO, and Director Michael M. Morrissey
Michael M. Morrissey

Not a bad place to work.

I have been working at Exelixis

Pros

The people are extremely helpful. They are always willing to offer a helping hand, are supportive of your efforts, and offer constructive criticism to help make your work higher quality.

Cons

It can be very busy with some pretty tight deadlines. They have very high expectations of all their employees. As with any company I have worked for, I am cynical of the honesty of upper management.

You can be more open and honest with the employees.

Nice work if you can hang

I worked at Exelixis

Pros

Great co-workers; fairly good benefits package; excellent inter and intra team cooperation; competent HR; great Xmas to NYE break; good employee parties; excellent severance packages per RIF 3/2010!

Cons

Management from 2nd level upwards is duplicitous, self-centered and barely conscious. People's titles are ridiculously overstated, making "senior management" a sort of elite club of directors, etc. Little 2 way communication: the info dribbles down from top; input from below isn't actively sollicited. New president is just a retread of failed former president. I hold little hope for this company.

Retrench; develop some humility; flatten the organizational structures; consider outsourcing IT to a SAAS provider; pay closer attention to how your employees feel about their jobs.

Exelixis

I worked at Exelixis

Pros

A fast paced Bio-Pharma company that has excellent R&D capabilities and a proven track record for developing novel compounds to treat cancer and metabolic diseases. Challenging work environment and challenging work.

Cons

Because the company does not have any products out on the market it must rely on raising capital by licensing out it's technology, selling stock or borrowing. In these economic times, these are three difficult things to do which can create job uncertainty and instability. The company recently laid off 40% of it's work force.

The management needs to work on outlicensing it's technology and raising employee moral after the recent RIF which devastated the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love Exelixis don't love the pay

I have been working at Exelixis

Pros

Great people, great managers, great experience. I have learned a lot while at Exelixis.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, revolving door. I truly feel if Exelixis paid a bit better people would stay longer.

I have no advice or complaints about the management.

Exelixis

I worked at Exelixis

Pros

Many knowledgeable people to work with. Small company, so great opportunity to learn a lot and do many different things. Good medical benefits. Company shuts down between Xmas and New Year so you get an extra week off.

Cons

Salaries are lower than industry standard. Annual and spot "bonuses" are extremely small. Company gives stock option grants, but the price per share has been dropping steadily for many years, so there is little hope that anyone will ever be able to exercise options. There is never any money for training of any kind, and rarely any for travel to conferences (unless you are in Development). Career ladder for bachelors/masters-level scientists is somewhat limited. Some managers are apparently poorly (or not) trained and are unable to solve personnel problems.

Improve the career ladder for the bachelors and masters-level scientists. Adequately train people who are in charge of managing personnel so that they can deal with problems in an effective, impartial way.

OK Place to work

I have been working at Exelixis

Pros

Small but challanging work place.
    Learn a lot in short time
    Supportive colleagues

Cons

As usual, all Biotech companies are risky.

Look after the interest of employee as much as yours. Majority if the people wok there are good people.

bad management

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Exelixis

Pros

work for paycheck and good pay

Cons

bad management and no respect from manager's level

should talk to their employees on regular basis for improvement

Internship

Former Employee - Research Assistant Intern  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant Intern in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Exelixis

Pros

Exelixis is a fabulous place to work with very positive interaction among my project team and senior management's openness to work hand in hand with entry level employees/interns such as myself was a definite plus. Positive work environment made my tenure far more enjoyable.

Cons

Certain scenarios arose where senior management and my managers were not on the same page during many projects. Perhaps communication could have been more fluid between the two groups

To sort of rehash what was said above, there wasn't much bad to harp upon during my time there, but the instances of communication lapses (among certain specific divisions) could be better taken care of

Exelixis is still a best place to work for me.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Exelixis

Pros

Boss are so great and I have wonderful years there

Cons

the site was closed down

Wish them the best and have the drug in market one day!

Want to work where incompetence rules? EXEL is your place!

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Manager  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Exelixis

Pros

In the biotech area of SSF
    People float in and out so you might make a good contact for a job somewhere else
    You can dress casual
    Decent benefits (but not great)
    Chance for stock profits (esp. the ESPP)

Cons

In Clinical Operations the management are mostly pulled from prior bench science positions and know NOTHING about how to manage clinical studies, so timelines are based on stock price solely. They try to rely on CROs but do not know how to manage them and will not support the necessary oversight, particularly if it involves travel.
    Persons with experience leave quickly as avenues for advancement are blocked, since all the upper management positions are filled by persons with no operations experience.
    Due to the fact that lab scientists were brought to operations at the same grade most titles are incongruent with experience and your team will not be able to support you any better than mangement. This incompetence extends to data management, clinical science and operations, which lead to poorly designed studies overall.
    The incongruent titles in this company are known throughout the bay area and listing this company on your CV can be a liabilty when looking for other jobs in the SF area.

Higher persons to run the operations and science group who have at least 15 to 20 years industry experience in this field or you will continue to fail at meeting the milestones you have set and agreed to meet.

Worked for Exelixis? Contribute to the Community!