www.exelixis.com

Be The First To
Add Photos

Exelixis President, CEO, and Director Michael M. Morrissey

Michael M. Morrissey

Nice work if you can hang

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat co-workers; fairly good benefits package; excellent inter and intra team cooperation; competent HR; great Xmas to NYE break; good employee parties; excellent severance packages per RIF 3/2010!

ConsManagement from 2nd level upwards is duplicitous, self-centered and barely conscious. People's titles are ridiculously overstated, making "senior management" a sort of elite club of directors, etc. Little 2 way communication: the info dribbles down from top; input from below isn't actively sollicited. New president is just a retread of failed former president. I hold little hope for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetrench; develop some humility; flatten the organizational structures; consider outsourcing IT to a SAAS provider; pay closer attention to how your employees feel about their jobs.

Love Exelixis don't love the pay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, great managers, great experience. I have learned a lot while at Exelixis.

ConsPay is not competitive, revolving door. I truly feel if Exelixis paid a bit better people would stay longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice or complaints about the management.

Saying yes is more important than knowledge

ProsFast decision making
    Deep pipeline
    Good people

ConsLack of big pharma experience in the senior management team
    Right now compounds are more important than the right compounds
    Meeting deadlines is much more important doing good science
    Clinical development has too many people with discovery experience and no development knowledge
    Pay is much lower than industry average unless in very senior management
    Advancement for non Ph.D scientists is not very good

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus on doing good science
    Reward people for their knowledge and abilities, not because they blindly do what you tell them
    Put experienced people into clinical development
    Treat staff with respect, look after them as well as you look after your own self interests

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsMany knowledgeable people to work with. Small company, so great opportunity to learn a lot and do many different things. Good medical benefits. Company shuts down between Xmas and New Year so you get an extra week off.

ConsSalaries are lower than industry standard. Annual and spot "bonuses" are extremely small. Company gives stock option grants, but the price per share has been dropping steadily for many years, so there is little hope that anyone will ever be able to exercise options. There is never any money for training of any kind, and rarely any for travel to conferences (unless you are in Development). Career ladder for bachelors/masters-level scientists is somewhat limited. Some managers are apparently poorly (or not) trained and are unable to solve personnel problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the career ladder for the bachelors and masters-level scientists. Adequately train people who are in charge of managing personnel so that they can deal with problems in an effective, impartial way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsA fast paced Bio-Pharma company that has excellent R&D capabilities and a proven track record for developing novel compounds to treat cancer and metabolic diseases. Challenging work environment and challenging work.

ConsBecause the company does not have any products out on the market it must rely on raising capital by licensing out it's technology, selling stock or borrowing. In these economic times, these are three difficult things to do which can create job uncertainty and instability. The company recently laid off 40% of it's work force.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to work on outlicensing it's technology and raising employee moral after the recent RIF which devastated the company.

OK Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsSmall but challanging work place.
    Learn a lot in short time
    Supportive colleagues

ConsAs usual, all Biotech companies are risky.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after the interest of employee as much as yours. Majority if the people wok there are good people.

bad management

Research Associate (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

Proswork for paycheck and good pay

Consbad management and no respect from manager's level

Advice to Senior Managementshould talk to their employees on regular basis for improvement

Internship

Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsExelixis is a fabulous place to work with very positive interaction among my project team and senior management's openness to work hand in hand with entry level employees/interns such as myself was a definite plus. Positive work environment made my tenure far more enjoyable.

ConsCertain scenarios arose where senior management and my managers were not on the same page during many projects. Perhaps communication could have been more fluid between the two groups

Advice to Senior ManagementTo sort of rehash what was said above, there wasn't much bad to harp upon during my time there, but the instances of communication lapses (among certain specific divisions) could be better taken care of

Exelixis is still a best place to work for me.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsBoss are so great and I have wonderful years there

Consthe site was closed down

Advice to Senior ManagementWish them the best and have the drug in market one day!

Want to work where incompetence rules? EXEL is your place!

Senior Clinical Research Manager (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsIn the biotech area of SSF
    People float in and out so you might make a good contact for a job somewhere else
    You can dress casual
    Decent benefits (but not great)
    Chance for stock profits (esp. the ESPP)

ConsIn Clinical Operations the management are mostly pulled from prior bench science positions and know NOTHING about how to manage clinical studies, so timelines are based on stock price solely. They try to rely on CROs but do not know how to manage them and will not support the necessary oversight, particularly if it involves travel.
    Persons with experience leave quickly as avenues for advancement are blocked, since all the upper management positions are filled by persons with no operations experience.
    Due to the fact that lab scientists were brought to operations at the same grade most titles are incongruent with experience and your team will not be able to support you any better than mangement. This incompetence extends to data management, clinical science and operations, which lead to poorly designed studies overall.
    The incongruent titles in this company are known throughout the bay area and listing this company on your CV can be a liabilty when looking for other jobs in the SF area.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher persons to run the operations and science group who have at least 15 to 20 years industry experience in this field or you will continue to fail at meeting the milestones you have set and agreed to meet.

Worked for Exelixis? Contribute to the Community!