Exelon

www.exeloncorp.com

Exelon Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Christopher M. Crane

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits, 401k, constant training(in 5 reviews)

• Generous amounts of PTO and flex time combine to make it very easy to achieve a satisfactory work-life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance needs to be strived for to obtain(in 16 reviews)

• No work-life balance, Self-absorbed management(in 4 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CHALLENGING BUT REWARDING

General Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExelon has diverse work force with tons of carrier opportunities. Exelon is directly involved with ground breaking industry technology and innovation. Exelon also offers a good work environment.

ConsWork hours may vary depending on emergent issues. Compensation could be a little better.

Advice to Senior ManagementI will like to see more promotions based on experience and knowledge. I will also like to see better compensation based on technical knowledge.

Outstanding Legal Department

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAll members of the department are treated with respect, whether they are employees or contractors and are included in all company events.

ConsIf I were forced to find something negative about my experience working there, it would be hard for me to do.

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! We appreciate you taking the time to post this review and value our employees feedback. Thanks again!

You will never be bored working for Exelon!

Exelon Utilities (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are numerous challenges to tackle - and the only limit is your imagination! Senior management encourages engagement, new ideas, and genuinely trying to make things better for our employees and customers. The value for safety is paramount - and this is stressed all the time. If you want to make a difference and make things better - you will have a good experience at Exelon - you will never be bored! Our industry is in the midst of a lot of change - so we need to keep fresh thinking and new ideas - and need people to keep an eye to the future. Doing work in different parts of the business is encouraged - so you can move around and find numerous development opportunities.

ConsBecause we are such a big company - it is hard for all parts of the business to know what each other is doing - we tend to work in silos too often.

A part of the job is being part of a 24-7-365 company that provides a vital service - so it also means that you will be working at times that you may not want to (holidays, etc.).

We also need to do a better job of onboarding new employees to set them up for maximum success.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways stay engaged with your people - set them up for success - and learn their major barriers to success so you can remove obstacles.

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review! We appreciate your feedback and value your opinion. If you are willing, please email CorporateTalentAquisition@exeloncorp.com with any ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company for Chicago

Material Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLarge company with a lot of weight and power in the industry. Located in the heart of the city with offices all over the nation if relocation is in your future. Good opportunities and innovation is encouraged.

ConsA lot of the problems with large companies are shown here such as red tape and seeking to please those above you.

Advice to Senior ManagementForster technology and how to use it more efficiently. You have to spend money on things that work not buy the cheapest option in order to fulfill the requests for innovation.

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for your review! We appreciate and value your input. If you would like to provide additional information, please email CorporateTalentAquisition@exeloncorp.com. Thanks again!

Network, work hard, and be accountable. This will lead you to success

Intern, Human Resources (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros1) High performing individuals and culture
    2) High Standards
    3) Strong company culture in fostering growth (especially if you ask for more work)
    4) Traveling is a possibility for those who are interested in it
    5) VP's and Directors are very busy, but have an open door policy to listen, make recommendations, and explore options in advancing with one's career
    6) Great growth is taking place in this organization right now
    7) Great culture in establishing a sense of empowerment
    8) The soft skills in this organization are strong
    9) Co-workers are greatly experienced at what they do and are the best at what they do

Cons1) No overtime pay for interns
    2) No pay over holiday's for interns
    3) Not too many career options for those fresh out of college (takes time for the stars to align)

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause Exelon has a high performing culture, please reconsidering overtime especially for interns. Other than that, personal growth and promotion opportunities are great within this company - especially if you work for it.

Jul 1, 2014

Thank you very much for your review! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post and share your thoughts. Exelon values the opinions of our employees - we really appreciate your feedback ... More

Seasoned IT professional

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExciting, changing environment with tons of opportunities. Leadership is very open to new innovative ideas. Ability to see so many aspects of the company if your interested.

ConsIf you prefer stability and knowing what you will be doing day to day then this is not the place for you! Things are changing constantly and move very fast. There is no time to focus on just one initiaitve, the environment is much more dynamic than that.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put leaders in place that are willing to move the needle. It is so refreshing to see all the leaders wanting to make big changes for the company and continue to keep us a leader in our industry.

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comment! We highly value the opinions of our employees and we appreciate your input. Thanks again!

Exelon Corporation.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat location, Good salaries, Many hard working people.

ConsOffice furniture was horrible….no real desks, just a triangular shelf and a small file cabinet….BAD BAD BAD. Too much emphasis on rank within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the culture. Many seem to think they are in the military.

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review! We greatly value the opinions of our employees, present and past, and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you again!

Exelon is a great place to work at

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits and salary are good. For the most part peers are top notch.

ConsExpectations from employees are high. Always trying to do more with less people.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of our employees, present and past, and we appreciate you taking the time to post your review. Thank you again!

IT Contractor 11 1/2 months

Java J2EE Programmer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGorgeous views from Chase Tower

ConsContactors beware: 11 month contract was pulled after 4 1/2 months due to long downtime between projects/budgets/code freezes. Worked hard, volunteered overtime hours to help them meet deadlines. Got rewarded with early termination - 9 days notice. Companies that do this to contractors are terrible. Its not the 1st time this happened to me, but I thought better of Exelon. While there, I saw way too many chiefs for very old IT applications, many of which only work with one browser - IE8 (!) - supposedly there's a 2 year rewrite in process. Was hired for J2EE, ended up fixing old Servlets and Cobol. There might be politics involved in advancing since the ones I worked for didn't seem to be very bright on post 2000 IT programming. Pay to wear jeans on Friday, lots of managers walking around, having lots of meetings, often on loud phone calls. Too many bureaucratic layers to offer any ideas on improvements. No one there seems to want to hear them anyway. One final note ... they seem to hire a lot of interns or seasoned contractors for short-term catch-up assignments. The poor interns seem to sit around for weeks at time with nothing to do, yet the managers are always watching them. Couldn't figure out why they do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't screw your contractors. Would never work again for your company since I had to go on unemployment waiting for a replacement contract.

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you very much for taking your time to post this review. We greatly appreciate you sharing your thoughts and your opinion is valued. If you are willing to share more about your experience ... More

The best of times and the worst of times

Senior Category Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMany opportunities, reliable job with benefits

Conspoor work life balance, dry culture,

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make ... More

Worked for Exelon? Contribute to the Community!