Exelon

www.exeloncorp.com

Exelon Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Christopher M. Crane

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits, 401k, constant training(in 5 reviews)

• Generous amounts of PTO and flex time combine to make it very easy to achieve a satisfactory work-life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance needs to be strived for to obtain(in 16 reviews)

• No work-life balance, Self-absorbed management(in 4 reviews)

Seasoned IT professional

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExciting, changing environment with tons of opportunities. Leadership is very open to new innovative ideas. Ability to see so many aspects of the company if your interested.

ConsIf you prefer stability and knowing what you will be doing day to day then this is not the place for you! Things are changing constantly and move very fast. There is no time to focus on just one initiaitve, the environment is much more dynamic than that.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put leaders in place that are willing to move the needle. It is so refreshing to see all the leaders wanting to make big changes for the company and continue to keep us a leader in our industry.

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comment! We highly value the opinions of our employees and we appreciate your input. Thanks again!

Exelon Corporation.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat location, Good salaries, Many hard working people.

ConsOffice furniture was horrible….no real desks, just a triangular shelf and a small file cabinet….BAD BAD BAD. Too much emphasis on rank within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the culture. Many seem to think they are in the military.

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review! We greatly value the opinions of our employees, present and past, and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you again!

Exelon is a great place to work at

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits and salary are good. For the most part peers are top notch.

ConsExpectations from employees are high. Always trying to do more with less people.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of our employees, present and past, and we appreciate you taking the time to post your review. Thank you again!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Contractor 11 1/2 months

Java J2EE Programmer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGorgeous views from Chase Tower

ConsContactors beware: 11 month contract was pulled after 4 1/2 months due to long downtime between projects/budgets/code freezes. Worked hard, volunteered overtime hours to help them meet deadlines. Got rewarded with early termination - 9 days notice. Companies that do this to contractors are terrible. Its not the 1st time this happened to me, but I thought better of Exelon. While there, I saw way too many chiefs for very old IT applications, many of which only work with one browser - IE8 (!) - supposedly there's a 2 year rewrite in process. Was hired for J2EE, ended up fixing old Servlets and Cobol. There might be politics involved in advancing since the ones I worked for didn't seem to be very bright on post 2000 IT programming. Pay to wear jeans on Friday, lots of managers walking around, having lots of meetings, often on loud phone calls. Too many bureaucratic layers to offer any ideas on improvements. No one there seems to want to hear them anyway. One final note ... they seem to hire a lot of interns or seasoned contractors for short-term catch-up assignments. The poor interns seem to sit around for weeks at time with nothing to do, yet the managers are always watching them. Couldn't figure out why they do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't screw your contractors. Would never work again for your company since I had to go on unemployment waiting for a replacement contract.

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you very much for taking your time to post this review. We greatly appreciate you sharing your thoughts and your opinion is valued. If you are willing to share more about your experience ... More

Good money, poor environment.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Ontario, NY

ProsThe pay is good and there are many opportunities to get training. If you are willing to work 24/7 you will certainly move up.

ConsThere is no work/life balance. You need to be there whenever they need you if you want to keep your job. Expect a minimum 50 hour work week. You can loose your job if you are late for training more than once or if you don't answer your pager for an emergency drill. The culture is demanding and inflexible.

Jun 25, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback. We would love to hear more about your experience, if you would be willing. If you are willing to provide additional detail around your ... More

position did not present any challanges

Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee) Oswego, NY

Prospay, pay, pay, pay and pay

Conslong hours, unsatisfying job, not mentally challanging

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this feedback. We greatly appreciate your input, and we would love to hear more about your experience. If you would be willing to provide any ... More

Good company that pays well.

Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) Byron, IL

ProsThe best reason to work for exelon is the pay, benefits, and room for advancement. This is a good company that is not afraid to pay their employees what they deserve.

ConsLong hours and hard to take time off. Time off policy does not allow for you to tell them no because you must call them back if they call you to come into work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees concerns.

Jun 10, 2014

The best of times and the worst of times

Senior Category Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMany opportunities, reliable job with benefits

Conspoor work life balance, dry culture,

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make ... More

VP Marketing

Vice President Marketing (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosindustry is fascinating and tackle societal challenges
    the pay is good

ConsBroken culture
    high turnover
    no creativity
    nothing gets down
    every initiative gets shut down
    the same ideas come back over and over again, any enthusiastic high energy hard working newbee will take it on, and people will be watching, bad mouthing his effort, and making sure he fails...
    then the new bee quickly learns to just lay low, not try to climb the ladder, because the company is not growing so there is no place in the higher ranks...
    people spend their time in useless meetings, where the same ideas have been thrown back and forth in the last 5 years.
    rather pathetic.
    every talented person does not last long, and quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the company's interest before your own petty career
    the industry is being disrupted, just accept this fact, embrace the change, and lead the way, or run the risk of dying (competitive retail group)
    be responsible...

Jun 10, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past – and would like to hear more about your experience. Please email ... More

Engineer employed in PECO division of Exelon

Engineer II (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGenerous salary when compared to other utiliy-based companies for the same position, good benefits, 401(K) and pension, and annual incentive bonus (based on company performance).

ConsPECO division was downsized greatly ~ 20 years ago, so that the few that are still employed are over-worked, especially during storms. The lines that once defined your job "roles and responsibilities" are easily blurred given the right "business need" at the time. Knowledge level of company as a whole is lacking, and expected to get worse as those with 25, 30,40+ yrs. experience either move on or retire with the majority of the younger engineers having <5 yrs. of experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that your employess are just that, the employees, and do not live and breath PECO/Exelon. Workload should be monitored and kept at a resonable level to maintain efficiency and over-exhaustion of your employees.

Refrain from speaking to your employees as if it should be automatic that you do "xyz" for "the company", even though it may not be in your initial job scope/responsibilities. Lastly, speak to your employees with respect, and not as if they are your children. This last issue may be more localized to my personal experience, but nonetheless, should be addressed.

Jun 17, 2014

Worked for Exelon? Contribute to the Community!