Exelon Generation

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014
3.6

Kenneth W. Cornew

Pros
  • Great pay, great benefits, that is about it for Exelon (in 8 reviews)

• Many opportunities for career growth, diversity, and progression (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Requires diligence to maintain your work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• The culture is para-military with long hours, high demands, frequent call-ins, and poor work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work, but mimicks a utility rather than a trading firm

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Exelon Generation

Pros

Fun environment to work, big company so lots to learn from both generation, load and spec trading.

Cons

Upper management is bit stale so new innovations are harder to find. Not much opportunity elsewhere unless ur trading or part of origination team.

Great company

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, good training, safety focused organization, some management cares very much about your self development, education reimbursment but have to stay for a minimum time frame

Cons

Waste a lot of resource and money, they recycle some things but other materials are thrown away or wasted at alarming rates, they also are not very good with communication

communicate better

Financially good, emotionally poor

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good paycheck and benefits. Get to see and experience some interesting things at the plant.

Cons

Most of management (non union) is extremely overworked and has very high demands placed on them. This leads to a very stressful environment, and the negativity feeds on itself, resulting in a pretty depressing place to be most days. This is confirmed by the large number of top performers who leave the company.

Hire more people (to hell with the "management model"). The level of demands placed on people due to constant turnover is unsustainable.

Job security, excellent pay & benefits, too many bosses, a lot of red tape

Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Cordova, IL
    Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Cordova, IL

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Job security. Training programs are ok at best. Education reimbursement program. Overtime readily available. I personally enjoy going to work here. Co workers mostly share the same enthusiasm. Understanding first line supervisors. Opportunities for career change or lateral moves. Working at a nuclear power plant is very interesting. Job pays me to qualify on the shooting range, which I enjoy doing in my free time as well.

Cons

Employee feedback seems to fall of deaf ears. Dept. management comes up with policy changes without discussing them with the labor union or employees, which causes tension due to a signed labor agreement with unions. Some rules/policies just flat out don't make any sense or have become outdated. Work life balance can get tricky at times. Can be "forced" to work at any time. Don't fire employees who should be. Always under staffed. Boring at times.

Update policies. Personally praise employees who go above and beyond. Leave the union labor contract alone, you can't change it until it's time for renewal. Target under performing employees for disciplinary action, don't do mass punishment.

Not worth any stars

Current Employee - Engineer in Forked River, NJ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Forked River, NJ

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing. They paid a ton of my money but the crap you go through is not worth it, not worth any of it.

Cons

They rule your life and expect you to me here constantly. Good luck ever seeing your family or ever doing anything for yourself, they own you. NEVER WORK HERE.

Get yourself together. This is place is a hell hole and something bad is wound up to happen.

I am never bored and am always kept on my toes. Exelon will absolutely push you to achieve your best!

Current Employee - Engineer II in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is very competative. The benefits, in addition to compensation, are outstanding. Depending on your role, there is a felxible work schedule for every other Friday off. I am always being pushed to do my best and learn new things outside my educational focus.

Cons

The nuclear industry can be very slow going with all the red tape that needs to gone through to make changes. Being on call a few weeks out of the year (ERO). During the outages, there is little time for anything other than work and sleeping (however, you are compensated with over time for it).

The most unfriendly cliquish environment I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Exelon Generation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They provide energy so they do have an excellent Product and qualified managers

Cons

Rude, unfriendly, cliquish female office managers. I asked numerous times for training on systems for an upcoming project and told it was coming or referred to someone else who referred me to someone else for months. When the date came for this project to get started they said figure it out. Most female executives would turn their nose up at you or backstab you, yet I continue to say hello or good morning.

I think the company is good and it tries to listen to it's employees.

Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Morris, IL
    Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Morris, IL

I worked at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for Exelon Nuclear is the benefits, pay and the people. Leadership is decent as well. Pay is great and the company genuinely tries to make a better work environment.

Cons

The biggest challenge when I worked here was the red tape. I understand there is a process, but it is very frustrating when you are capable of performing a job, but unable to because of the logistical red tape. Do you want to change a light bulb? You have the new bulbs and proper PPE, but can't unless you submit a form and they have a work ticket issued, then qualified people must locate proper lights, step stools, tools and plan of action, select a team of workers, schedule the work, announce the work, get pre-job brief, prepare the job-site and only then you can do the job, but it's not over yet, next you have to perform a post-job brief and announce that you performed the job and got the expected result. Next is concurrent verification, a person (not part of the original job) must go out and inspect the work, turn on and off the light then sign off as Job complete. Now imagine repeating this process for every single job to be performed, everyday! It's no wonder it takes so long to do almost nothing. The FIN team is 6 months behind and took 3 months to fix a clasp I could have fixed in seconds. Good luck to them all...they need it.

This company's hands are tied as they and regulated and mandated to perform according to the NRC and it's own policies and procedures. Most of upper management is corrupt as with any corporation, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Sr. Tagout Planner

Current Employee - Senior Tagout Planner in Cordova, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tagout Planner in Cordova, IL

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time

Pros

Pay, Bennefits are good for area

Cons

Company is very goal oriented and expects Managers to be available 24/7.

Great Company

Current Employee - Engineer II
    Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay right out the Gate. Nice bonuses and incentives. Many opportunities for career growth, diversity, and progression. Many opportunities for training and obtaining a well rounded background. Requires a lot of patience with the nature of nuclear. Good job for individuals who are driven.

Cons

Outage support is a must. Obtain extra responsibilities as your tenure at the company increase (Emergency response, Duty manager, maintenance support at any time of day)