Exelon Generation

Updated January 6, 2015
Updated January 6, 2015
3.7

Kenneth W. Cornew

Pros
  • Great pay, great benefits, that is about it for Exelon (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance, those three words that are a mystery to many (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Requires diligence to maintain your work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours, lacks work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Financially good, emotionally poor

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good paycheck and benefits. Get to see and experience some interesting things at the plant.

Cons

Most of management (non union) is extremely overworked and has very high demands placed on them. This leads to a very stressful environment, and the negativity feeds on itself, resulting in a pretty depressing place to be most days. This is confirmed by the large number of top performers who leave the company.

Hire more people (to hell with the "management model"). The level of demands placed on people due to constant turnover is unsustainable.

Not worth any stars

Current Employee - Engineer in Forked River, NJ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Forked River, NJ

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing. They paid a ton of my money but the crap you go through is not worth it, not worth any of it.

Cons

They rule your life and expect you to me here constantly. Good luck ever seeing your family or ever doing anything for yourself, they own you. NEVER WORK HERE.

Get yourself together. This is place is a hell hole and something bad is wound up to happen.

I think the company is good and it tries to listen to it's employees.

Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Morris, IL
    Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Morris, IL

I worked at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for Exelon Nuclear is the benefits, pay and the people. Leadership is decent as well. Pay is great and the company genuinely tries to make a better work environment.

Cons

The biggest challenge when I worked here was the red tape. I understand there is a process, but it is very frustrating when you are capable of performing a job, but unable to because of the logistical red tape. Do you want to change a light bulb? You have the new bulbs and proper PPE, but can't unless you submit a form and they have a work ticket issued, then qualified people must locate proper lights, step stools, tools and plan of action, select a team of workers, schedule the work, announce the work, get pre-job brief, prepare the job-site and only then you can do the job, but it's not over yet, next you have to perform a post-job brief and announce that you performed the job and got the expected result. Next is concurrent verification, a person (not part of the original job) must go out and inspect the work, turn on and off the light then sign off as Job complete. Now imagine repeating this process for every single job to be performed, everyday! It's no wonder it takes so long to do almost nothing. The FIN team is 6 months behind and took 3 months to fix a clasp I could have fixed in seconds. Good luck to them all...they need it.

This company's hands are tied as they and regulated and mandated to perform according to the NRC and it's own policies and procedures. Most of upper management is corrupt as with any corporation, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

I am never bored and am always kept on my toes. Exelon will absolutely push you to achieve your best!

Current Employee - Engineer II in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is very competative. The benefits, in addition to compensation, are outstanding. Depending on your role, there is a felxible work schedule for every other Friday off. I am always being pushed to do my best and learn new things outside my educational focus.

Cons

The nuclear industry can be very slow going with all the red tape that needs to gone through to make changes. Being on call a few weeks out of the year (ERO). During the outages, there is little time for anything other than work and sleeping (however, you are compensated with over time for it).

Great Company

Current Employee - Engineer II
    Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Pay right out the Gate. Nice bonuses and incentives. Many opportunities for career growth, diversity, and progression. Many opportunities for training and obtaining a well rounded background. Requires a lot of patience with the nature of nuclear. Good job for individuals who are driven.

Cons

Outage support is a must. Obtain extra responsibilities as your tenure at the company increase (Emergency response, Duty manager, maintenance support at any time of day)

Sr. Tagout Planner

Current Employee - Senior Tagout Planner in Cordova, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tagout Planner in Cordova, IL

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time

Pros

Pay, Bennefits are good for area

Cons

Company is very goal oriented and expects Managers to be available 24/7.

The most unfriendly cliquish environment I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Exelon Generation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They provide energy so they do have an excellent Product and qualified managers

Cons

Rude, unfriendly, cliquish female office managers. I asked numerous times for training on systems for an upcoming project and told it was coming or referred to someone else who referred me to someone else for months. When the date came for this project to get started they said figure it out. Most female executives would turn their nose up at you or backstab you, yet I continue to say hello or good morning.

Excellent opportunities to succeed and contribute.

Current Employee - Radiochemist/ODCM/REMP/RECP in Delta, PA
    Current Employee - Radiochemist/ODCM/REMP/RECP in Delta, PA

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many challenges have been great oppotunities. Benefits are phenomenal. Promotions have been steady because I am willing to take on more responsibility. Attitude makes all the difference. Management acts like leaders here at Peach Bottom. I have been involved in wonderful oppotunities to engage the public, improve processes and improve HR hiring effectiveness. Exelon empowers me in many ways, and many times it's how you perceive challenges.

Cons

Attitudes of some individuals are difficult: excuses, blame-others. HR needs to recognize higher-quality talent and what talent needed (e.g. need more grad students because a lot of questioning attitude is developed more in the MS and PhD levels and Chemical Engineering is more useful for environmental monitoring rather than Chemistry because dispersion of materials is an engineering problem, not a analytical one).

HR needs more detail in what they look for to prepare Exelon Nuclear for the dramatic workforce changes in progress. Engage the motivated staff to cultivate positive qualities and attitudes in the HR process.

Strong company with promising opportunities in renewable energy.

I have been working at Exelon Generation full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Many opportunities to grow professionally between training and assignments. Company leadership communicates well with the masses.

Cons

Change is very slow. IT-wise the company is struggling to modernize. Very structured, if you don't like structure, this company is not for you.

Exelon goal is keyed for improvement of the bottom line!

I have been working at Exelon Generation

Pros

Grateful to be employed after buy out.

Cons

Not being employed but a short period I can't criticize legitimate cons. One issue due to transitional 401k changes: Exelon stock not possible under July Exelon revision to avaible holdings. Employees that held shares of Ceg then exe stock forced to sell and pay substantial fees including a reduced stock price. Exelon took advantage at the employee - stockholder expense.

t something I believe Exelon management would ever consider.
    They are Chicago product and heavily politically associated in Federal and respective state governments. Previous utility management came from engineering. Presently we have banking and investment ilk management. Exelon didn't become the largest electric supplier by being generous to its customers and employees.