Exelon

www.exeloncorp.com

Exelon Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Christopher M. Crane

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits, 401k, constant training (in 5 reviews)

• Generous amounts of PTO and flex time combine to make it very easy to achieve a satisfactory work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance needs to be strived for to obtain (in 16 reviews)

• No work-life balance, Self-absorbed management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights
5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work

Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWork Environment, benefits, training & development, flexibility

Conspolitics; takes long to get promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer specific and direct feedback regarding how one can move forward to the next level position.

Engineer employed in PECO division of Exelon

Engineer II (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGenerous salary when compared to other utiliy-based companies for the same position, good benefits, 401(K) and pension, and annual incentive bonus (based on company performance).

ConsPECO division was downsized greatly ~ 20 years ago, so that the few that are still employed are over-worked, especially during storms. The lines that once defined your job "roles and responsibilities" are easily blurred given the right "business need" at the time. Knowledge level of company as a whole is lacking, and expected to get worse as those with 25, 30,40+ yrs. experience either move on or retire with the majority of the younger engineers having <5 yrs. of experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that your employess are just that, the employees, and do not live and breath PECO/Exelon. Workload should be monitored and kept at a resonable level to maintain efficiency and over-exhaustion of your employees.

Refrain from speaking to your employees as if it should be automatic that you do "xyz" for "the company", even though it may not be in your initial job scope/responsibilities. Lastly, speak to your employees with respect, and not as if they are your children. This last issue may be more localized to my personal experience, but nonetheless, should be addressed.

Exelon Response

Jun 17, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make ... More

Started out great but went downhill.

IT Lead Analyst (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThey had good benefits and generous training allowances. On site gyms are a nice perk. Some managers permitted working from home and flexible hours.

ConsI only had one professional manager in the 15+ years I was there and he was moved to a non-management position. I didn't receive my 15% bonus one year because I "missed meetings", although no one could tell me what meetings I missed! HR felt that was OK. That was the same year my stepson was dying from cancer, my stepdaughter was getting married, and I wasn't permitted to take any vacation time. Fortunately that manager left. When I retired, I was the only one that showed up for my exit interview, although it had been requested by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementExelon leadership needs to come out of their ivory tower and get in touch with the people who are actually doing the work..

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The experience was positive.

Property Tax Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsExelon is a leader in the nuclear energy industry.

ConsSome disfunction attributable to the merger of ComEd and PECO.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore oversight of business units to ensure coordination.

Glass Ceiling for Engineers

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsExelon seems to care about training yet you would think that when they invested money in an employee they would make an effort to retain them.

ConsAs you work at Exelon your pay raises decrease over time and you hit a glass ceiling especially for Engineers. Engineers with 10-30 years of experience are lumped in one category.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at industry and pay accordingly. Many utilities are trying to create artificially lower pay scales for engineers but the demand in this sector is growing fast.

Worked for Exelon? Contribute to the Community!