Exelon Reviews

Christopher M. Crane

1. Stable and competitive

Former Employee - Exelon Generation in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Exelon Generation in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exelon has a utility side and a competitive generation side...plus the ubiquitous corporate center functions. The company is generally conservative and stable. Compensation is very competitive with the market based on the particular business unit.

Cons

Bureaucracy, as it is in any large organization, can be disheartening depending on the individuals personality and the stated goal of the business unit.

Advice to Management

Perception of middle management by employees is often that their focus is more on "managing up" instead of managing the group of employees. Some managers can deal with the necessity of both.

Mar 12, 2015Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! Exelon values and appreciates the opinions of our employees. Thanks again!

2. Great Company

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Exelon for 5 and half years and overall it is an excellent company to work for. Total compensation package is top notch. Work /life balance is heavily promoted in most organizations within company.

Cons

Leaders tend to advance and promote who they like. Very political at times. Salary tends to be just average.

Advice to Management

Consider all employees for advancement opportunities.

Oct 28, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Exelon values the opinions of our employees and we appreciate your feedback. Thanks again!

Engineer employed in PECO division of Exelon

Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous salary when compared to other utiliy-based companies for the same position, good benefits, 401(K) and pension, and annual incentive bonus (based on company performance).

Cons

PECO division was downsized greatly ~ 20 years ago, so that the few that are still employed are over-worked, especially during storms. The lines that once defined your job "roles and responsibilities" are easily blurred given the right "business need" at the time. Knowledge level of company as a whole is lacking, and expected to get worse as those with 25, 30,40+ yrs. experience either move on or retire with the majority of the younger engineers having <5 yrs. of experience.

Advice to Management

Understand that your employess are just that, the employees, and do not live and breath PECO/Exelon. Workload should be monitored and kept at a resonable level to maintain efficiency and over-exhaustion of your employees.

Refrain from speaking to your employees as if it should be automatic that you do "xyz" for "the company", even though it may not be in your initial job scope/responsibilities. Lastly, speak to your employees with respect, and not as if they are your children. This last issue may be more localized to my personal experience, but nonetheless, should be addressed.

Jun 17, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make ... More

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon

Pros

Work Environment, benefits, training & development, flexibility

Cons

politics; takes long to get promotions

Advice to Management

Offer specific and direct feedback regarding how one can move forward to the next level position.

6. Started out great but went downhill.

Former Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon

Pros

They had good benefits and generous training allowances. On site gyms are a nice perk. Some managers permitted working from home and flexible hours.

Cons

I only had one professional manager in the 15+ years I was there and he was moved to a non-management position. I didn't receive my 15% bonus one year because I "missed meetings", although no one could tell me what meetings I missed! HR felt that was OK. That was the same year my stepson was dying from cancer, my stepdaughter was getting married, and I wasn't permitted to take any vacation time. Fortunately that manager left. When I retired, I was the only one that showed up for my exit interview, although it had been requested by HR.

Advice to Management

Exelon leadership needs to come out of their ivory tower and get in touch with the people who are actually doing the work..

7. The experience was positive.

Former Employee - Property Tax Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Property Tax Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon

Pros

Exelon is a leader in the nuclear energy industry.

Cons

Some disfunction attributable to the merger of ComEd and PECO.

Advice to Management

More oversight of business units to ensure coordination.

Glass Ceiling for Engineers

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon

Pros

Exelon seems to care about training yet you would think that when they invested money in an employee they would make an effort to retain them.

Cons

As you work at Exelon your pay raises decrease over time and you hit a glass ceiling especially for Engineers. Engineers with 10-30 years of experience are lumped in one category.

Advice to Management

Look at industry and pay accordingly. Many utilities are trying to create artificially lower pay scales for engineers but the demand in this sector is growing fast.