www.exeloncorp.com

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
4.0

Christopher M. Crane

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits in an exciting Industry (Energy) (in 10 reviews)

• Work /life balance is heavily promoted in most organizations within company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Increase working off-site acceptance and increase work-life balance considerations (in 26 reviews)

• No flexibility, no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Exelon for 5 and half years and overall it is an excellent company to work for. Total compensation package is top notch. Work /life balance is heavily promoted in most organizations within company.

Cons

Leaders tend to advance and promote who they like. Very political at times. Salary tends to be just average.

Consider all employees for advancement opportunities.

Oct 28, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Exelon values the opinions of our employees and we appreciate your feedback. Thanks again!

Project Manager

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Exelon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Organized, fair, clear definition of expectations.

Cons

Hires a lot of IT consultants. Some are kept year after year. They don't like people to work remotely.

Be more open minded about working with virtual teams where some work remotely.

Jul 14, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your review! Exelon greatly values and appreciates the opinions of our employees! Thanks again.

Engineer employed in PECO division of Exelon

Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous salary when compared to other utiliy-based companies for the same position, good benefits, 401(K) and pension, and annual incentive bonus (based on company performance).

Cons

PECO division was downsized greatly ~ 20 years ago, so that the few that are still employed are over-worked, especially during storms. The lines that once defined your job "roles and responsibilities" are easily blurred given the right "business need" at the time. Knowledge level of company as a whole is lacking, and expected to get worse as those with 25, 30,40+ yrs. experience either move on or retire with the majority of the younger engineers having <5 yrs. of experience.

Understand that your employess are just that, the employees, and do not live and breath PECO/Exelon. Workload should be monitored and kept at a resonable level to maintain efficiency and over-exhaustion of your employees.

Refrain from speaking to your employees as if it should be automatic that you do "xyz" for "the company", even though it may not be in your initial job scope/responsibilities. Lastly, speak to your employees with respect, and not as if they are your children. This last issue may be more localized to my personal experience, but nonetheless, should be addressed.

Jun 17, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make ... More

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kennett Square, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kennett Square, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, and their are career opportunities especially engineers

Cons

I think Exelon is good company to many politics, and need to work on developing their people. Need work life balance

Good to be part of...

Former Employee - Lead Analyst in Kennett Square, PA
    Former Employee - Lead Analyst in Kennett Square, PA

I worked at Exelon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Motivating work environment, well defined structure, management model is good. some of the Benefits are really good and some decent.

Cons

Lot of politics when it comes to daily business, no matter how much hard work you do, you have to make sure your boss is impressed, thats all it matters.

Less political environment will be great

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon

Pros

Work Environment, benefits, training & development, flexibility

Cons

politics; takes long to get promotions

Offer specific and direct feedback regarding how one can move forward to the next level position.

Lots of politics and busy work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA

I have been working at Exelon

Pros

The company is accommodating and hours are generally easy. You are provided with tools and resources.

The company makes strong efforts to follow "best practices".

Cons

There is a lack of actual work to be done and a too much time is spent creating budgets, evaluating performance to budget, etc. Not enough time is spent trying to make money.

Politics dominate and voicing a dissenting opinion is looked upon poorly.

People manage up and your contact with your boss will be limited.

Focus more on doing actual work and making money. Don't worry so much about Wall Street and the stock price. If you create a renewed focus on creating new revenue, the stock price will follow.

Started out great but went downhill.

Former Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon

Pros

They had good benefits and generous training allowances. On site gyms are a nice perk. Some managers permitted working from home and flexible hours.

Cons

I only had one professional manager in the 15+ years I was there and he was moved to a non-management position. I didn't receive my 15% bonus one year because I "missed meetings", although no one could tell me what meetings I missed! HR felt that was OK. That was the same year my stepson was dying from cancer, my stepdaughter was getting married, and I wasn't permitted to take any vacation time. Fortunately that manager left. When I retired, I was the only one that showed up for my exit interview, although it had been requested by HR.

Exelon leadership needs to come out of their ivory tower and get in touch with the people who are actually doing the work..

The experience was positive.

Former Employee - Property Tax Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Property Tax Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon

Pros

Exelon is a leader in the nuclear energy industry.

Cons

Some disfunction attributable to the merger of ComEd and PECO.

More oversight of business units to ensure coordination.

Glass Ceiling for Engineers

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon

Pros

Exelon seems to care about training yet you would think that when they invested money in an employee they would make an effort to retain them.

Cons

As you work at Exelon your pay raises decrease over time and you hit a glass ceiling especially for Engineers. Engineers with 10-30 years of experience are lumped in one category.

Look at industry and pay accordingly. Many utilities are trying to create artificially lower pay scales for engineers but the demand in this sector is growing fast.