Exelon

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Christopher M. Crane

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Project Manager

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Phila, PA

ProsOrganized, fair, clear definition of expectations.

ConsHires a lot of IT consultants. Some are kept year after year. They don't like people to work remotely.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open minded about working with virtual teams where some work remotely.

Engineer employed in PECO division of Exelon

Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGenerous salary when compared to other utiliy-based companies for the same position, good benefits, 401(K) and pension, and annual incentive bonus (based on company performance).

ConsPECO division was downsized greatly ~ 20 years ago, so that the few that are still employed are over-worked, especially during storms. The lines that once defined your job "roles and responsibilities" are easily blurred given the right "business need" at the time. Knowledge level of company as a whole is lacking, and expected to get worse as those with 25, 30,40+ yrs. experience either move on or retire with the majority of the younger engineers having <5 yrs. of experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that your employess are just that, the employees, and do not live and breath PECO/Exelon. Workload should be monitored and kept at a resonable level to maintain efficiency and over-exhaustion of your employees.

Refrain from speaking to your employees as if it should be automatic that you do "xyz" for "the company", even though it may not be in your initial job scope/responsibilities. Lastly, speak to your employees with respect, and not as if they are your children. This last issue may be more localized to my personal experience, but nonetheless, should be addressed.

Flag Review
    Exelon Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs responded to this review Jun 17, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make ... More

Exelon

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Kennett Square, PA

ProsGreat benefits, good pay, and their are career opportunities especially engineers

ConsI think Exelon is good company to many politics, and need to work on developing their people. Need work life balance

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good to be part of...

Lead Analyst (Former Employee)
    Kennett Square, PA

ProsMotivating work environment, well defined structure, management model is good. some of the Benefits are really good and some decent.

ConsLot of politics when it comes to daily business, no matter how much hard work you do, you have to make sure your boss is impressed, thats all it matters.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess political environment will be great

Great Place to work

Procurement Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsWork Environment, benefits, training & development, flexibility

Conspolitics; takes long to get promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer specific and direct feedback regarding how one can move forward to the next level position.

Lots of politics and busy work

Kennett Square, PA

ProsThe company is accommodating and hours are generally easy. You are provided with tools and resources.

The company makes strong efforts to follow "best practices".

ConsThere is a lack of actual work to be done and a too much time is spent creating budgets, evaluating performance to budget, etc. Not enough time is spent trying to make money.

Politics dominate and voicing a dissenting opinion is looked upon poorly.

People manage up and your contact with your boss will be limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on doing actual work and making money. Don't worry so much about Wall Street and the stock price. If you create a renewed focus on creating new revenue, the stock price will follow.

Started out great but went downhill.

IT Lead Analyst (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThey had good benefits and generous training allowances. On site gyms are a nice perk. Some managers permitted working from home and flexible hours.

ConsI only had one professional manager in the 15+ years I was there and he was moved to a non-management position. I didn't receive my 15% bonus one year because I "missed meetings", although no one could tell me what meetings I missed! HR felt that was OK. That was the same year my stepson was dying from cancer, my stepdaughter was getting married, and I wasn't permitted to take any vacation time. Fortunately that manager left. When I retired, I was the only one that showed up for my exit interview, although it had been requested by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementExelon leadership needs to come out of their ivory tower and get in touch with the people who are actually doing the work..

The experience was positive.

Property Tax Manager (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsExelon is a leader in the nuclear energy industry.

ConsSome disfunction attributable to the merger of ComEd and PECO.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore oversight of business units to ensure coordination.

Glass Ceiling for Engineers

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsExelon seems to care about training yet you would think that when they invested money in an employee they would make an effort to retain them.

ConsAs you work at Exelon your pay raises decrease over time and you hit a glass ceiling especially for Engineers. Engineers with 10-30 years of experience are lumped in one category.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at industry and pay accordingly. Many utilities are trying to create artificially lower pay scales for engineers but the demand in this sector is growing fast.

Exelon is a good place to begin your career.

Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee)
    Kennett Square, PA

ProsPeople is one of the biggest motivation to work at Exelon.

ConsVery risk aversed. if you are looking to make big money, this is probably not a place for you when you compare to investment bankers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they are doing a good job

Worked for Exelon? Contribute to the Community!

Exelon Videos

Exelon – Why Work for Us?

Exelon is powered by our people and culture Exelon Corporation is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities with more than $23.5 billion in annual revenues and thousands of employees across the United States. The… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exelon reviews and ratings in Philadelphia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Exelon CEO Christopher M. Crane. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Exelon employees.